Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ignorance is bliss, or not. How much regard you put to education?

Steve Piranha

We all heard of that phrase, but you all think is true? I don't think so, I think education is a highly valuable virtue to possess, while ignorance and stupidity are real cancers that can cause much harm to society.

The media likes to portray dumb characters as better persons than smart people, but that's hardly the case in real life as many of us see, and in other cases, deal, in our daily lives. Bullying, racism, and crime are few of the consequences of such,

Though, we have to see the other side of the coin, education is a double-edged sword, an educated person doesn't mean he's good, in fact, it's been repeatedly used to manipulate masses of ignorants for vile purposes as history taught us (Crussades anyone?). But then again, ignorance is not out of the mix  >_>

Ooh. I don't want to make this debate pitty!  :)

I think, in order to keep peace, varying degrees of education is a fantastic thing. I think there is a degree that is below the "sweet spot" of education; for example, when a person isn't taught toleration (such as your bully/racism/crime example) or basic care of their bodies (germs are bad, wash your hands, don't cough in other's faces stuff, etc) that could be harmful to society...but a degree above that, where you're a healthy but ignorant person, really helps keep society balanced? I'm not sure if I'm expressing my thoughts correctly.  :okiedokielokie:

If you've ever played Cities Skylines (and if you haven't, do so) or other simulators, you hit a point where all your people are highly educated and they aren't happy to work in factories anymore. While in a simulation, they will begrudgingly do their simly duty, real life doesn't work that way. If everyone is highly educated, not ignorant of anything, nobody would feel "fit" for jobs that require lower education. That sounds super mean! :lol:  While I think repressing people to keep this going (for example, telling people they can't pursue education) is a horrible thing, the natural flow of people willing to work jobs that require lower education keeps the balance of work fairly even. 

Also, on a different string, I stand highly behind ignorance is bliss. Selective ignorance, I guess. I know a lot of terrible things that happen in the world and how lucky I am to possess my worldly goods and my status in life and all that and without ignorance of whats going on in some strange corner of Africa, I would be plagued by sorrow for my fellow man and couldn't do my calculus work. I think having a general idea is important, but the gritty details of all the sad world things isn't something that everyone needs in their head to keep their lives going. This turned out long.  :lol:

Edited by Nervous Stitch
  • Brohoof 1

Lol, I'm just kidding around.  I mean, I do kind of agree with Rick on public schools, but I value education a lot.  I still use a lot of the knowledge I learned in school, and even the stuff I don't use, I'm glad I have.  I'm proud to have a good working knowledge of universe and how it works.  I tend to feel that as human beings, we have a responsibility to at least try to understand the world around us to the best of our ability.  That doesn't mean everyone needs to be a physicist, but everyone should at least be educated enough so that we don't create generations of people who believe in astrology, homeopathy, and that Ryan Reynods was a better choice for Green Lantern than lovable rogue Nathan Fillion.

If knowledge is power, then who has the power?

Well if you had an easily curable disease that would unquestionably kill you if not treated, would you rather let it kill you or seek treatment?

For one, I believe that knowledge is an invaluable need for any person desiring to live a decent life. However, this phrase might also stand up for the idea of uncertainty and curiosity, both of them originated from the current ignorance on a matter, being the prime gears in what we constitute as a human. After all, we're different from the rest of the life-forms because of our reasoning abilities and self-consciousness, and both of these are constantly fueled by the need of understanding about what we are, where we are, and how things work.  

Edited by Shadow Beam
  • Brohoof 1