Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How come twi and cadence don't have flowing manes

Queen_Tia

Howe come twilight and cadence don't have alicorn manes. I'm not sure on this but I think that that has to do with them both became alicorn sand weren't born an alicorn. What do u guys think about this.

• Brohoof 2

If you read The Journal of the Two Sisters...

Celestia and Luna were born as alicorns, which is very rare. As such they have a few additional attributes, like the flowing manes and the ludicrously long lifespan. Neither Twilight nor Cadence were born alicorns, so while magically powerful, they don't have the fancy manes and they won't live centuries beyond a normal pony lifespan.

• Brohoof 8

My headcanon is that its due to celestia and Luna tying themselves magically to celestial objects, namely the moon and the Sun. Starswirl stated that Alicorns would actually grow in power if they controlled celestial objects due to linking themselves with them (in comparison to unicorns being weakened). This is also probably the source of their immortality: so long as the sun and the moon exist, so shall luna and celestia as long as they keep up their duties.

The reason why Luna lost her flowing mane in the premier was because she had forsaken her duties over the night for dark magic instead, and so when she lost her dark magic/nightmare moon persona, she no longer had a mane, though she was able to regain it by taking on her old duties with the moon.

My current headcanon is that Cadence will in time gain a flowing mane just like Celesta due to Tying herself to the crystal heart as a power source due to her new role as the princess of the Crystal empire. Twilight would have to find an object to attune herself to, and its up in the air whether or not that rainbow in the castle during the S4 finale still exists as something to bond with.

Additionally, based on power ponies, it seems that, alicorn or no alicorn, strong magic inhabiting a pony can give one a flowing mane: When fluttershy begins to tap into her Saddle rager persona, before she begings hulking out, she gains a flowing mane in that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dMIuc9MqY

My headcannon is that Twilight and Cadence have not exceeded their potential in magic.

There's also a possibility that it has to do with their ages. Luna and Celestia are 1000+ years old, while Twilight and Cadance I can't imagine are anywhere near as old.

Luna and Celestia are refusing to share their conditioner.

Want a stunning attractive flowing mane, purchase Loreal mane at your local Bodyshop and men will find you irresistable, available for just 50 bits because you're worth it. Edited by DashBandicoot
  • Brohoof 5

My headcannon is that Twilight and Cadence have not exceeded their potential in magic.

It is impossible to exceed one's potential.  If one does manage to exceed their potential, it simply means that their potential was inaccurately gauged in the first place.  (I'm just jerkin yer chain a bit, but techically that's true.)

Celestia and Luna were born as alicorns, which is very rare. As such they have a few additional attributes, like the flowing manes and the ludicrously long lifespan. Neither Twilight nor Cadence were born alicorns, so while magically powerful, they don't have the fancy manes and they won't live centuries beyond a normal pony lifespan.

Is that the real story?  That's pretty cool.  But I want to know what Cadence's story is.  How/why/when did she become and alicorn?  My headcanon was always that immortals like the sisters could make others immortal if they so desired, like Jacob in Lost.  And, of course, Celestia would one day pass her job and her immortality to Twilight.

Okay, time for my stupid, obligatory joke.

In addition to magical flowing manes, natural born alicorns get +2 magic, +1 dexterity, and +5% HP regen.

• Brohoof 2

My head cannon tells me that because they have the power of the sun and the moon flowing through their bodies, their manes have become like that. They are pretty damn powerful and they are immortal Alicorns unlike Twilight and Cadence who would easily get wrecked by Luna taking them on alone.

Is that the real story?  That's pretty cool.  But I want to know what Cadence's story is.  How/why/when did she become and alicorn?  My headcanon was always that immortals like the sisters could make others immortal if they so desired, like Jacob in Lost.  And, of course, Celestia would one day pass her job and her immortality to Twilight.

Cadence's backstory is told in the chapter book "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell" by GM Berrow.

Basically; it states that Cadence was born a pegasus and, in a similar situation to Twilight had gained her horn after coming to some sort of epiphany.

Didn't it implied Luna and Celestia suffered a change once they moved their respective astral objects? I think that's when they got their flowing manes :huh: . Not that sure to be honest, have to read the journal again to be sure 

It is impossible to exceed one's potential.  If one does manage to exceed their potential, it simply means that their potential was inaccurately gauged in the first place.  (I'm just jerkin yer chain a bit, but techically that's true.)

Okay, time for my stupid, obligatory joke.

In addition to magical flowing manes, natural born alicorns get +2 magic, +1 dexterity, and +5% HP regen.

Read Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell for the background on Cadance. Alicorns also get +10 Charisma.

• Brohoof 1

In Twilight's Kingdom, Twilight's mane was flowing a bit after she absorbed the alicorns' magic, so maybe that's because Celestia and Luna have a lot of magic.

But I think the main reason is because Twilight and Cadence are prettier without flowing mane. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

I think much like the Journal canon, it's a matter of degree of power. Celestia and Luna could almost be said to be born like Jesus. They are earthly manifestations of a greater power. While Cadence and Twilight are almost like demi-goddesses, powerful and transcendent, but still carry the traces of their mortal origin.

My personal headcanon is that this will change with time, as both continue to age long past a mortal pony would have died, that which made them mortal will die and they will become "true" alicorns. That's just my headcanon though.

• Brohoof 1

I always figured that Celestia is in the form of her prime while Luna, Cadance and Twilight are still growing in terms of body and power. Luna has a flowing mane because she's grown up enough to gain one while Cadance and Twilight don't have them due to them being recently ascended Alicorns.

Edited by Prince Firemane

On that note: I really had been hoping, prior to its airing, that Luna and celestia's manes would have reverted to their storybook looks in Twilight's kingdom when they gave up their magic. Luna's had her "normal" hair before, so its not like they've never shown her with it before XD

Also, had been hoping Twilight's mane would have been fully flowing/celestia during that period.

• Brohoof 1

Cadence's backstory is told in the chapter book "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell" by GM Berrow.

Basically; it states that Cadence was born a pegasus and, in a similar situation to Twilight had gained her horn after coming to some sort of epiphany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCVc2D6Sghw

Non-unicorns can gain horns?!  :blink:   I have to reevaluate my entire existence now.  Seriously, though, I thought only ponies that already had magic within them could transform further.  Albeit, I know this is extremely rare, but does this mean that any pony could theoretically do this?  That's kind of weird.

• Brohoof 1

I believe it's because Celestia and Luna were born alicorns while Cadance and Twilight weren't. Plus I believe it's due to the amount of magical skills Celestia and Luna have. Also yeah Twilight did have a flowing mane at one point in the season 4 finale after the other princesses transferred their power to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCVc2D6Sghw

Non-unicorns can gain horns?!  :blink:   I have to reevaluate my entire existence now.  Seriously, though, I thought only ponies that already had magic within them could transform further.  Albeit, I know this is extremely rare, but does this mean that any pony could theoretically do this?  That's kind of weird.

well, given that

Cadence's transformation was due to a random magical necklace that the villain prismia had on turning her (cadence) into an alicorn, Becoming an alicorn seems more like "get hit with a random magical artifact" than any inborn traits (like how Twilight got blasted by all of the EOH).

On that note, I very much dislike how Cadence ascended in the Book; it was really weak and the object that turned cadence into an alicorn is apparently common enough jewelry material that Rarity could recognize it easily.

That being said, I doubt they have any plans to turn anyone else into an alicorn anytime soon.

Age, power level, and being linked to celestial objects all seem great reasons, but Twilight's cutie mark is at the center of the Tree of Harmony! That has to count for something at some point! :)

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

I just believe Celestia and Luna are both divine. While Cadence and Twilight are more normal mare ponies, and just have the role as ruling princesses i think.

Its kinda like in old days of monarchies,(In terms of real life history) were they believed the ruling king had some divine power by god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL02neFXAzA

Edited by Trine
  • Brohoof 1