Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SolyWack

So it has been announced that a Friendship is Magic Movie is in the works. To my knowledge it is to be released some time in 2017. Now i'm not the chief expert on making movies and TV shows but...

Why will it take 2 years to make the movie? I assume its going to be about 1 hour and 20 minutes long, like the EG movies, not a 3 and a half hour long movie like lord of the rings.

Each episode of the show is about 22 minutes long, so the movie would be like (80/22=3.6) 4 episodes. It usually takes a month to air that many episodes. I know a little more thought has to be put into a movie, and its probably gonna be a theatrical release, and is gonna need more advertising than an episode.

But I still think 2 years is a pretty long time. What do you guys think? :twi:

• Brohoof 1

well, they made the episodes of the show before airing them. they probably have all episodes of this season and a few of the next done by now too!

honestly, animating something takes a long time. i feel like 2 years is a pretty good time scheme. also, i'd rather have them take their time on a movie instead of rushing it and having it full of mistakes :P

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Movies always take longer than expected because of unexpected snafus.  I know from experience(click on link in my signature to see my movies). Plus they are making season 6 at the same time and as the other person pointed out they do have to draw every single scene. Be patient. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover

I thought that too, but I heard they are also making an EQ movie, probably after season 5. It seems to be their new thing... Anyways, as the guy who first replied said, animating is hard work, even with a lot of people working on it. So I think it's alright, we've got each other, season 5, I think an EQ movie, and the fandom to keep us bronies entertained along the way! :D

• Brohoof 1

They may take as much time as they want. I do not want to see anything that is rushed and has a boring plot. I guess they are taking a bit longer than expected but maybe that is because their workload is already very heavy so they can not spare too many resources for working on the movie.

Like right now they would be focused on completing Season 5. We just have to be patient.

That is to be expected, any and all movies especially ones released in theaters tend to take a long time to make. Even the episodes themselves take a long time to make. It takes millions of dollars and an entire team of people to make a movie. Plus the movie itself for all we know might turn out to be drastically different when it is finally finished than it was originally going to be early on in production, they might try out a few ideas and some of them might work real well and others might not. 

I personally would like the movie to be 3 hours long, with cutting edge animation, a deep plot with a mix of funny, epic, dark, sad, etc moments, a compelling villain, creative songs, and a PG rating.

• Brohoof 3

It's going to take 2 years because of creating the butt of the movie (plot), complex Animation, script writing, voice acting, making sure everyone is happy with the movie (including Sony) and other complex stuff!

(edited)

There's a lot of work to do on it, plus there's lots of other stuff coming out before then. The expectations will be huge so I'm sure they want to take their time. They could probably get it done quicker if they needed to but I'm willing to wait and watch the hype build up :comeatus:

Edited by Frostgage

Part of the estimated time to complete has to do with writing and approving a final draft, securing distribution rights (leaked emails from Sony Pictures and Hasbro confirmed A LOT of issues and talks that predate the announcement of a new writer). Basically the time line being that long is due to creative and business reasons. 

So it has been announced that a Friendship is Magic Movie is in the works. To my knowledge it is to be released some time in 2017. Now i'm not the chief expert on making movies and TV shows but...

Why will it take 2 years to make the movie? I assume its going to be about 1 hour and 20 minutes long, like the EG movies, not a 3 and a half hour long movie like lord of the rings.

Each episode of the show is about 22 minutes long, so the movie would be like (80/22=3.6) 4 episodes. It usually takes a month to air that many episodes. I know a little more thought has to be put into a movie, and its probably gonna be a theatrical release, and is gonna need more advertising than an episode.

But I still think 2 years is a pretty long time. What do you guys think? :twi:

It'll take 2 years cause you got to do pre production so write the idea pitch it have 500 budget meetings, then write the script then re write it, cast un-casted characters, concept art, storyboard, schedule this is about 5 months. Then production so animatics, character tests, recording the voice over, this is about 2 months to 5 years (longest animated film in production time took that long)  depending on the film but will likely take 9 months in this. Now post so making a cut that works and flows right, re-recording lines, re animate scenes this can take 6 months at most. so 2 years is right for films.

I'm sure if everyone needed to make the movie could drop everything and concentrate all their efforts on the project they could churn it out pretty quick, but there's a whole lot of planning, writing, animating, voice acting, editing that goes into a story that can't just be done neatly and quickly.  Plus original ideas and characters cannot be made without good ideas and inspiration, which don't just come on command.

Two years isn't too bad, I should think.

I'm pretty much just repeating what everyone else is saying but yes, making a movie takes a long time so two years sounds good. I also fully support them taking as much time as necessary so we don't end up with something rushed. I'm hopeful we'll see a movie with a well thought-out storyline and high quality animation. I'm excited!