Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Would you like to see more episodes like Slice of Life?

colt_following

Yes I know but I'm talking to the group that sits there that's in the fandom; and proceeds to make angry self-entitled post about it.  :okiedokielokie:

I agree that sure kids probably did feel like they were missing out, and this episode wasn't really fair for them. To just casually say join the fandom to a foal probably wouldn't be the best thing. Considering what goes on in the fandom.

On the other hoof, to just openly whine about how it caters to the fandom, while being in the fandom being able understand whats going on is really irritating to say the least.

(I've already seen several of these self entitled posts in facebook groups) >_>

I dont mind the posts that have actual points, and such. Since it brings up valid points. That's how a discussion should be. :smug:

Which is where I suggested perhaps we could have stuff like this on a spinoff series, maybe on netflix or something. :please:

I don't think that at all, go read some of my posts on the actual discussion thread about the episode

(edited)

I don't think that at all, go read some of my posts on the actual discussion thread about the episode

Not saying you did;  Never said you did.

Never actually associated you with what I was talking about anywhere in my recent post. ( i double checked)

Nor have I Implied it .

Not sure where you're getting it from. :huh:

Note: If it was to/about you I would've brought it to PM's, or put your name in it directly.

I dislike Beating around the bush using implications. That's not my style.

Edited by SpeedIsMagic

Sorry to say but the show isn't all about us. We got our special little episode, and that's probably enough for now. Don't forget that there are children that watch this episode, and probably have absolutely no idea what Slice of Life was even about. This is all to make money for Hasbro, as much as we don't want to believe it. 

That was one of my main irritations with this episode, out of the few I had. While it is amazing to get an episode that feels like it was crafted just for me, it is hard to imagine from an outside perspective being able to follow this. To an outsider, these characters are introduced and thrown at you with no prompting or prior understanding - you almost have to be a brony to appreciate this episode.

• Brohoof 1

i want more vinyl and octavia! but i like vinyl as a mute haha

Same here, oddly enough. I find the idea that Vinyl does not have a voice, and shares her ideas through music to be rather soothing.

I like the episode, but  I wouldn't want it to happen again. It was a nice treat. I will stop watching the show if the Mane Six are replaced. I know they most likely will do that because people aren't really into the Mane Six. They like the background ponies better. I'm one of the few bronies left who still like the Mane Six, so they most likely will b replaced. So in the near future, the background ponies will be the main characters. 

I like the episode, but  I wouldn't want it to happen again. It was a nice treat. I will stop watching the show if the Mane Six are replaced. I know they most likely will do that because people aren't really into the Mane Six. They like the background ponies better. I'm one of the few bronies left who still like the Mane Six, so they most likely will b replaced. So in the near future, the background ponies will be the main characters. 

Well for myself, I just feel like they've done things in a way that makes the Mane 6 appear to have 'mastered' friendship. We can argue we're still early in the season (although for the purpose of how many stories there've been, we ARE pretty premature), but I feel like thus far there isn't much remaining room FOR growth stories for the Mane 6, excepting maybe Rainbow, who still is clearly not there yet, and maybe Rarity, only because I feel like I haven't seen her knowledge of friendship expressed much at all throughout the series.

Either way I hope we do get to see more of the Mane 6 in the way that we saw them in earlier seasons - a bunch of best friends getting to learn from each other.

I honestly wouldn't mind more episodes like this. On special occasions only. Not another one until season 7 or so at least.

As for giving the background ponies a bit more of a role in the show, without being main characters? Cool with me. I liked them and I'd love to see some more of them.

• Brohoof 3

Well much like the OP, I really did like the episode. Which is frankly the understatement of the century but I won't go into that.

Thing is, I liked it because it was different! It was like a lower deck episode on Star Trek. If it becomes the main course then it looses what was special about it.

• Brohoof 2

Not for a while. This was a fun little treat, but it's something we shouldn't have again for a while. It wouldn't be as interesting and fun if they did it more often.

That said, What I'd really like to see is the backgrounders step up (both ways) to interact with the Mane 6 and other main characters some.

To be honest, I'm disappointed they didn't join in against the bugbear. Heck, I could see the Bugbear about to finish off the Mane 6 and then the citizens of Ponyville could come to the rescue! (and ever read Issue #8 of the IDW comic? ;) )  

• Brohoof 2

Nah, I loved Slice of Life, but having more episodes focusing only on background ponies will make it less special. It would be cool having some episodes where some of these ponies take some focus alongside the mane6 though 

• Brohoof 1

Nah, I loved Slice of Life, but having more episodes focusing only on background ponies will make it less special. It would be cool having some episodes where some of these ponies take some focus alongside the mane6 though

Actually I didn't think about S5 E1... While those characters who saved the day aren't quite "background ponies" as we know them, they're still side characters. I'm wide open to side characters having some bearing on the plot

I agree, MLP ISN'T about the fandom.. I guess it's nice that they even acknowledge our existence.

I personally liked the pacing because it felt like we actually see a Slice of Life for each of these more prominent BG characters.

I think what I REALLY want to see is a better fleshing out of the tertiary characters (if the backgrounds are considered "fourth-level" characters) - characters we see more often who have decently defined personalities like Cheerilee and Bulk Biceps. I would love to hear more about their origins, especially Cheery.

One of the IDW comics actually focuses on Cheerilee having a twins sister named Cherry... not that I'd call it canon, but I wouldn't mind that being incorporated.

"MLP isn't about the fandom"

what? WHAT? Ok, um, first of all.....WHAT?!

MLP's been about the fandom since the very beginning. Gen 4's whole existence is built upon the fandom of past gens of little ponies. Like Lauren Faust, who was a fan of them, herself. The reason the current generation of the show continues to exist is due to its insane popularity amongst the fandom of MLP. Not just the Brony fandom, but the "target audience" fandom as well. So to say that MLP isn't about the fandom is absolute bull. The fandom is who the entire show was built off of, for, and aimed at.

I honestly wouldn't mind more episodes like this. On special occasions only. Not another one until season 7 or so at least.

As for giving the background ponies a bit more of a role in the show, without being main characters? Cool with me. I liked them and I'd love to see some more of them.

the thing is, the writers would have to tread lightly if they had the background characters playing more of a role. REALLY REALLY lightly. The draw to the background ponies- as far as the fandom is concerned- is because they're mostly blank slates, and they have free reign to give them their own personalities and such, from whatever headcanons they have. If the writers start developing those blank slate background ponies too much, they're no longer blank slates to the fandom, headcanons will eventually be shot down, and death threat letters will be directed at the studio and its staff....again. =_=

I loved seeing my favorite background ponies get their own talking lines, but in the future for the sake of the plot they should limit how many background characters that they have talking in one episode.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldnt mind more eps like slice of life, but what I REALLY would like to see is more focus in normal eps of bg ponies, to the level that Big Mac or the Mayor or Braeburn have had. (Speaking of which, moar Braeburn plzzzzz)

• Brohoof 2

I want to see the background ponies integrated more into episodes focusing on any/all of the Mane 6, or the CMC. How cool would that be to have Derpy, Doc Hooves, Lyra or Octavia given the same attention that characters like Zecora and Trixie had?

Since Twilight has her own lab. (Hopefully rebuilt in the castle) I would love to see her collaborate with the Doc on a science based machine to save Ponyville if some magic resistant foe ever threatened. I can see Derpy and Pinkie getting along wonderfully, discussing the merits of muffins over cupcakes. Personally, I love how the Doc is more Doctor Emmett Brown than Timelord. I think it gives him style! Tom Baker scarf FTW, though!   

I would also like to see Special Agent Sweetie Drops come out of retirement again to aid the mane six in fighting some ancient monster. 

Just for fun, I'd like to see Button Mash with a serious crush on Sweetie Belle. She keeps him firmly in the "Friend Zone" and we then discover that Diamond Tiara, against all odds, falls for our young gamer friend.

I wouldnt mind more eps like slice of life, but what I REALLY would like to see is more focus in normal eps of bg ponies, to the level that Big Mac or the Mayor or Braeburn have had. (Speaking of which, moar Braeburn plzzzzz)

How about an episode where Mayor Mare worries that she will lose the next election because somepony added Princess Twilight as a write in candidate?

• Brohoof 2

I would love to see more episodes like this! They really should do more with the background ponies. It kind of reminded me of the older episodes where the mane 6 would have a simple friendship problem. Like "The Ticket Master". 

Since the Mane 6 ponies are so "EPIC" now they can't really do episodes like that with them anymore. So it would be nice to see it with those characters more. 

We NEED to see more Derpy!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I don't see that happening. What you're talking about is practically marketing suicide, and Hasbro would never pull anything that stupid. We might see the "Background Six" get bigger roles and interactions with the Mane Six for certain episodes to keep both audiences happy, but that's it.

Not exactly like Slice of Life, but I would like to see more scenes involving background ponies.

In Slice of Life, it was only about them, in the next episodes I'd prefer they re-appear from time to time (a bit like Derpy in Rainbow Falls).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Personally, no; I wouldn't like to see more episodes like this. I was really underwhelmed by the episode and the lack of a solid story. It was just a mishmosh of fan service and randomness that's uncharacteristic of the show. However, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the characters; just not in such a random, thrown together fashion. I really liked cuteycindyhoney episode ideas and I would definitely like to see something along those lines. It will be interesting to see what the writers will do with the characters in the future, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will be nothing like the 100th episode.

Edited by RainbowJaxs16
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, no; I wouldn't like to see more episodes like this. I was really underwhelmed by the episode and the lack of a solid story. It was just a mishmosh of fan service and randomness that's uncharacteristic of the show. However, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the characters; just not in such a random, thrown together fashion. I really liked cuteycindyhoney episode ideas and I would definitely like to see something along those lines. It will be interesting to see what the writers will do with the characters in the future, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will be nothing like the 100th episode.

Thank you very much! My favorite of the ones I mentioned, is Twilight and the Doc working frantically on a technological means to save Ponyville. I think that would be really interesting and exciting! I've always liked Mayor Mare too, and would love to see an episode centered on her.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you very much! My favorite of the ones I mentioned, is Twilight and the Doc working frantically on a technological means to save Ponyville. I think that would be really interesting and exciting! I've always liked Mayor Mare too, and would love to see an episode centered on her.

Yeah, I think that it would be a really great episode too -- maybe a two part episode for the end of the season! I can dream, haha. :P I think my favorite out of your ideas, though, is an episode centered on Derpy and Pinkie. ^^ Now, that would be just the cutest thing! And the shenanigans that the two would get into together would be adorable. :wub:

• Brohoof 1