Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Would you like to see more episodes like Slice of Life?

colt_following

Yeah, I think that it would be a really great episode too -- maybe a two part episode for the end of the season! I can dream, haha. :P I think my favorite out of your ideas, though, is an episode centered on Derpy and Pinkie. ^^ Now, that would be just the cutest thing! And the shenanigans that the two would get into together would be adorable. :wub:

Derpy was the shining star of the episode for me. Playing with the Van der graaf generator (I'll pretend I didn't have to use Google to remember what it was called!) and pretending to fly the model plane suspended from the ceiling were the most adorable moments of the whole episode! I also loved how she called her buddy "Doc". That's so Marty McFly of her! It fit, since they made the character of Doctor Whooves more of an amalgamation of Dr. Emmett Brown and Timelord. He's the best of both, without being legally too close to either.

It would be wonderful to see her and Pinkie just spending time together.

• Brohoof 1

"MLP isn't about the fandom"

what? WHAT? Ok, um, first of all.....WHAT?!

MLP's been about the fandom since the very beginning. Gen 4's whole existence is built upon the fandom of past gens of little ponies. Like Lauren Faust, who was a fan of them, herself. The reason the current generation of the show continues to exist is due to its insane popularity amongst the fandom of MLP. Not just the Brony fandom, but the "target audience" fandom as well. So to say that MLP isn't about the fandom is absolute bull. The fandom is who the entire show was built off of, for, and aimed at.

Sorry Nightmare Muffin, I think you maybe misunderstood me. I meant fandom as in JUST the bronies... I mean of course, the target audience is a 'fandom', but bronies are NOT naturally the target audience for this show (or at least, it wasn't at the start. They're coming around but they're not here yet, even with the latest episode).

I'm saying that the show is designed to cater towards it's true target audience- families/children/etc rather than to us bronies, who are more of a side-effect of the existence of the show in its current state.

So they have a show to run, and they have a target audience that happens to NOT be this fandom. Argue away that bronies are the target audience, but at the end of the day I just don't think that's the case.

Sorry Nightmare Muffin, I think you maybe misunderstood me. I meant fandom as in JUST the bronies... I mean of course, the target audience is a 'fandom', but bronies are NOT naturally the target audience for this show (or at least, it wasn't at the start. They're coming around but they're not here yet, even with the latest episode).

I'm saying that the show is designed to cater towards it's true target audience- families/children/etc rather than to us bronies, who are more of a side-effect of the existence of the show in its current state.

So they have a show to run, and they have a target audience that happens to NOT be this fandom. Argue away that bronies are the target audience, but at the end of the day I just don't think that's the case.

the show is designed to entertain everyone who watches it. Both its "target audience" and Bronies. Which is why there's elements of what Bronies want amongst the storytelling. The entire series in itself is a love letter to both audiences who enjoy the ponies through storytelling and art. This 100th episode was just more of a love letter to the Bronies who originally made the backgrouns ponies come to life, on their own efforts and fanworks. The Bronies are no less a target audience than the 5-13whatever year olds, because MLP is a family show that anyone of all ages can get into. That's their audience- anyone who enjoys the show. No limited age range.

families consist of more than just children, and children could also include those who are children at heart- as many of the Bronies are. There's no line between "target audiences" here.

(edited)

Not for a while. This was a fun little treat, but it's something we shouldn't have again for a while. It wouldn't be as interesting and fun if they did it more often.

That said, What I'd really like to see is the backgrounders step up (both ways) to interact with the Mane 6 and other main characters some.

To be honest, I'm disappointed they didn't join in against the bugbear. Heck, I could see the Bugbear about to finish off the Mane 6 and then the citizens of Ponyville could come to the rescue! (and ever read Issue #8 of the IDW comic? ;) )  

Yeah, I loved Slice of Life, but no more episodes like this for a while. Though, I totally see that these background (formerly?) ponies  will have a more prominent appearance and lines from now on at least, and repeat the Nightmare Rarity shenanigan of helping the Mane6 in a dire situation. Not to mention that since Rainbow Rocks, seemed to be the start of characters helping the Mane6 save the day. Not only we had Sunny joining, but Vinyl providing the gear for them to sing, and we had Sugar Belle, Double Diamond, Night Glider and Party favor doing so in the S5 premiere. I totally see them background characters joining a fight against a villain, either this upcoming season finale, or the pony movie 

Edited by Steve Piranha

Derpy was the shining star of the episode for me. Playing with the Van der graaf generator (I'll pretend I didn't have to use Google to remember what it was called!) and pretending to fly the model plane suspended from the ceiling were the most adorable moments of the whole episode! I also loved how she called her buddy "Doc". That's so Marty McFly of her! It fit, since they made the character of Doctor Whooves more of an amalgamation of Dr. Emmett Brown and Timelord. He's the best of both, without being legally too close to either.

It would be wonderful to see her and Pinkie just spending time together.

well, she was the sole cause of the wedding invitation date mixup, which sent the bride, groom, and entire town into a panic, after all......star role, indeed. :)

the Derpmeister was adorbs acting like a kid, pretending to fly the Doc's plane, and his other inventions. Really shows she has a curious, fun-loving, playful side to her character, too. (I like how the artists messed with her mane, as she was playing with the static ball)

• Brohoof 1

the show is designed to entertain everyone who watches it. Both its "target audience" and Bronies. Which is why there's elements of what Bronies want amongst the storytelling. The entire series in itself is a love letter to both audiences who enjoy the ponies through storytelling and art. This 100th episode was just more of a love letter to the Bronies who originally made the backgrouns ponies come to life, on their own efforts and fanworks. The Bronies are no less a target audience than the 5-13whatever year olds, because MLP is a family show that anyone of all ages can get into. That's their audience- anyone who enjoys the show. No limited age range.

families consist of more than just children, and children could also include those who are children at heart- as many of the Bronies are. There's no line between "target audiences" here.

Alright, I'll agree with that... I honestly think we're talking about two different things here, but I don't mean to debate on it

As much as I adored "Slice of Life," that really needs to be a rare ocurrence, or just a one time thing. The show is built around the Mane 6, Spike, the CMC, and the lore that has been built up. That needs to be the main focus of the show.

Saying that I wouldn't mind a spinoff of sorts. :P

• Brohoof 1

Not with background ponies as it would make episode 100 feel less special, but it would be nice to see at least one more episode focusing on multiple characters and their stories being intertwined with one another in a similar manner to how Slice of Life worked out.

But I would like it to be about already established characters that are like secondary/supporting characters such as Big Macintosh, Zecora, and Cheerilee as it would be nice to see them actually get some focus for once.  Or at least better focus then they have currently been getting.

As far as the kind of story structure they were going for, with a several interconnected shorts, I'd love to see again, just done a little more coherently.  As far as going for background characters again, not really.  I would like to see Minuette with a line or two, but having episodes focused on secondary characters, like Big Mac, Zecora, Mayor Mare, etc. and put the background ponies back in the background.

Maybe once every 100 episodes, but not all the time. I would like to see interaction from the bg ponies, e.g., Derpy, Tavi, Vinyl, and the like, though.

• Brohoof 1

I would love to see some regular appearances by the background gang, but I agree that the focus should not shift away from the six.

On the other hoof, I can honestly say that it would not bother me one bit if they did an entire season focusing on background characters, and only having cameos by the mane characters.  I don't think they should do that.  I just...idk....I'd be perfectly fine with that.

For some reason, SoL made me feel...invigorated.  It made me feel the way I did when I first got into the show.  I still love the show just as much as ever, but the initial excitement has worn off.  This brought it back.  I think it's just about the excitement of meeting someone new and forming new relationships.  Everypony has something wonderful to offer, and it's exciting to see new ones take the stage.  Seeing Lyra and Bon Bon, Vinyl and Octavia, it sort made me feel...idk....like....almost hopeful about friendship again, like I did when I first started watching.  It was inspiring.

You know what?  This franchise is popular enough--why not just have two shows?  They'd be identical, but one would focus on the background characters, who, I guess, would cease to be background characters.  You could call it...um...idk, Your Little Pony or something.  Hey, they did The Cleveland Show, so why not this?

• Brohoof 1

No, not at all  because to me this episode wasn't an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  See back in 2012 I got curious about the show and the animation looked pretty good, but I stayed for the characters and the plot. When I think of MLP, I think of Rainbow Dash giving up on her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt because it went against her morals.  I think of Fluttershy overcoming her anxiety and helping to get Cloudsdale water. Of Applejack hanging her head in shame at believing she let Ponyville down. Of Rarity, Pinkie, and Twilight all realizing that their friends were more important than winning a fashion show, of being the best party pony, or of being worth of the crown.  I don't think of Bugbears. I don't think of Doctor Whooves bowling with Big Lebowski. And I especially don't think of Vinyl getting on her bassmobile and causing a 1000 pony pileup while Gummy give us his existential dilemma. 

To sum it up, this is not what MLP is about, not by the furthest star in the universe, and not to me. Not to me at all.

**Just so we're clear I though it was an okay episode, I'm just going over why they shouldn't do it again. 

• Brohoof 2

Nope, I still don't get the hype with that episode, and besides the background are relatively one-dimensional and really didn't grab my attention, besides having the series switch between character casts every couple of episodes would be confusing and just pointless. 

• Brohoof 1

Not anytime soon. Fun though it was, the experience would grow dull if they pulled that too often.

Best thing to to is keep on headcannoning and see if you can get one of yours made canon in episode 200 XD

I think that SoL was a good episode, but like some people said, I wouldn't want to see it all the time. If there was an episode here and there like this, I think it would make me I little more excited about MLP. Not that I'm not excited, but it kind of spices things up.

(edited)

I would just prefer that in all episodes, they remain focused on the Mane 6 and their adventures but background ponies simply stop being background ponies and have some kind of speaking role in every episode. Even if it is a few lines.

Although one thing I'd really like to see is an episode centered on Derpy. That would be interesting to watch.

Perhaps, that would be Hasbro's back-up plan when Judgement Day passes. Such as a spin-off of the series? :rarity:

Yes, I loved that episode! :yay:

Edited by CinnamonPop

For the actual show? Not particularly, it kinda ruined the show, but it was funny as fuck for a comedy thing thats semi-canon. If they did it as a seperate thing i'd use it as a form of getting high, however.

I don't mind another episode like this, I'm watching it for the fun so it is completly fine for me. I didn't like or to be more exact, I didn't understand why people like BG ponies so much. Octavia was the only one I liked but only for her appearence(It was kind of unique and I like her style). After seeing this episode, it convinced me that for example, Derpy is a lovable character, her voice was just too god damn good(and the expressions of her's). Gummy's monologue was kind of suprising and funny but Sweetie Belle's one line about the friendship problem was just too hilarious not to be my favorite joke.

So yeah...C'mon it's all about the fun! I can understand why people dislike this episode still it was fun...kind of a chaotic fun but fun.

Perhaps, that would be Hasbro's back-up plan when Judgement Day passes. Such as a spin-off of the series? :rarity:

Yes, I loved that episode! :yay:

You mean a Spin-off series starring Derpy or all the background characters in general? I'd rather they not do that much fanservice. Slice of Life was a great episode but it was fanservice and too much of it ruins the show.

• Brohoof 2

I would love to see more episodes like "Slice of LIfe," but only on a special occasion. It was interesting seeing the background characters be in the foreground and not a mane 6 focused type of episode. It's also pretty interesting to see what some of the background characters do and things we probably didn't know about them to begin with. It would also be pretty cool to get more background characters that didn't talk, or weren't focused on in this type of episode.

• Brohoof 1

It would be call if Octavia, Vinyl, Bon Bon, Lyra, Derpy and Whooves all became friends and the Mane 6 had also made some friends with them. Just think if there were an episode staring Rarity and Octavia, or Wooves and Rainbow and so on. That would be great. I like a change from the Mane 6. Sometimes just having 2 or 3 characters for a whole episode is good :)

• Brohoof 2

depends

If you mean high octane random sessions with no real plot structure to speak of but a deliciously potent amount of fan pandering; Absolutely...in about another 100 episodes. That was great for a light hearted romp (I mean they LITERALLY jumped the shark) but structurally speaking it was just not good, and that wouldn't be a formula you'd wanna stick with for the longevity of the series. That Episode was like Party cake

-no nutritional value

-goes straight to the hips

-meant only for special occasions

-f*cking delicious when you do get some  

If you mean exploring some of the background characters in episodes: Sure, if they are structured well and are up to par with the rest of the series. I'd certainly like to see the Doctor explored more beyond his rather aggressive nod to doctor who, or a look into the backstory of Secret agent Sweetie Drops. 

I wouldn't want to see another episode like Slice of Life too often. (Unless the show makes it to 200 episodes, of course!) What I would like to see is a little more care taken with the background ponies if they ever interact with the mane 6 again, whether it was one of the six that featured in the 100th episode or any other. For example, in Cutie Map, we were introduced to a number of ponies who had personalities and stories more developed for their one appearance in the show than any of the background ponies had until Slice of Life. I'd like to see a touch of development on the background ponies whenever they do grace the screen more closely than just in the background.