Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Ever Forget That Ponies Are Ponies?

Mobley

In my watching of some of the episodes, I sometimes find myself caught out when a pony does something pony-like, simply because I think the show does anthropomorphics so well and some part of my subconscious forgets I'm watching a show about ponies. Things like snorting before a pony charges, or when Twilight rears in the diamond dog episode.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just a curious phenomenon to experience. Has anypony experienced something similar or am I just a bit dozy?

• Brohoof 1

Well I am aware that they are ponies while watching cause it's kind of obvious by their looks ..and... not to mention the name of the show, but since the show doesn't really show us normal pony behaviors among the characters just as you mentioned I understand that is easy to forget that they are...horses...uh, ponies.

• Brohoof 1

They are really extradimensional aliens who happen to look like terrestrial ponies due to happenstance. They are simply highly intelligent sapient quadruped herbivores that have a society similar to our own. So yes, I "forget" they are ponies. (Read a book fanfic now and again! Sheesh! :P )

Edited by Sapphire Lightning
  • Brohoof 3

I dont understand how i should see them as ponys.

They barely look like Ponys and they dont really act like real ones either..except someties...rarely. I see them as " my little Ponys " with is a different kind of animal that sadly dont exist...actually im happy that they dont exist in our world, because im pretty sure, somewhere, someone would like to eat them. Or cut them open for science...its good that theyre not living in our world.Our world is a scary place  :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

No, I don't, but I usually miss many horse things they do, like Pinkie's rolling on the ground in Pinkie Sense, and the latest being the salt licks in Amending Fences 

• Brohoof 1

Never. It's just so unconvincing when they say the word "pony" in the show like a bazillion times each episode.  :wacko:

Maybe if I watch it for a good long while, it becomes second nature and somewhat normal. 

Though, having being voiced by human actors, I imagine them as the actors if anything. :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't really forget that they are ponies, but I often forget that they may do certain pony things, like different horse noises and things like that. This happen so rarely that when it does, it catches me by surprise. :P

"Wait, what noise did she just make-, oh, horses make that noise. I seeeeeee. *backs away slowly*"

• Brohoof 1

I get what you mean.

It's a combination of the show's terrific art style (that being an art style that doesn't resemble ponies at all), and the great writing that makes you relate to the characters more and makes them seem like humans :D

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I generally don't think "these are horses" when watching. I tend to view the characters almost as thier own unique species, since they're almost completely distinct from actual horses apart from being quadrapeds.

Thanks for replying, some really interesting answers!

I think some of you put it a lot better than I could at 11:30 at night :P The characterisation of the ponies is so good and the animation nuanced in a way that they have very human qualities.

Of course I expect that was their intent, it's just interesting how it makes the actual pony behaviour strike me in the way that it does.

And thanks Blue Moon for moving. I'll blame it on the late night. I am not a night owl at all :P

Same here, but tbh I have never "considered" them as ponies cuz for me they are cartoon characters which have no specific appellation, the design is unique so when I see one yes I say pony but not that pony we know in real life but mlp character, if you can get what I'm trying to say  :lol:

I know they're ponies but yeah, I forget very quickly that I'm watching a show full of ponies.

But they're very different from the ponies of our world, so maybe it's the definition of pony that I forget.

I mean, I forget "pony" =

Wild_Pony_at_Assateague.jpg

Edited by Blobulle

I can't say that I ever forget that they're ponies, however, there is one thing that has always disturbed me. And it's this: 

post-31053-0-61565400-1438976398.gif

Seriously, what the hell?  :blink: What are they? Dogs?