Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are female minor characters so popular in FiM?

PacificGreen

I was just thinking about this as I was looking at pictures of the Manehattan and Whinnyapolis delegates from Princess Spike. I noticed that the former barely has any pictures of him on Derpibooru, while the latter really has something going for her in the fandom. This support even seems to extend to other ponies like Berry Punch, Tree Hugger, and Octavia, who seems to be much more popular than her stallion bandmates.

Is this just me, or does anyone else seem to think that female characters are much more likely to become Ensemble Darkhorses than male characters? If so, why do you think this is?

• Brohoof 2

Some people take a like to minor female characters because the favoring of the mane (see what I did there?) characters from the show is too common, and the notion of little character development of somepony of a minor role peaks interest in that character and the desire to see more of them; which differs from your average joe major character of which we know almost everything about. Or the alternative, some people like minor characters because it sets them apart from the ones who favor major characters.

Edited by Sugar Barrel
  • Brohoof 2

Because shipping.  :please:

No but seriously, I think it's because their characters aren't as developed as say the mane six, so fans are able create their own personalities and characters for them. Take Vinyl Scratch for example, she appeared in one or two scenes, and just from her appearance people were able to shape an entire character around her because she hadn't been developed as a character.

Edited by Raritas
  • Brohoof 3

People see a design they like and they want to associate it with a personality. That is how I largely was with Octavia, as well as Rain from Mortal Kombat (until Armageddon at least). It also helps that there are plenty of background ponies to play with so every fan has their favorite pony. :)

• Brohoof 2

Whenever asked why there is no popular male ponies people respond that it's because they don't get much development so there's nothing interesting about them.

Whenever asked why a lot of the background female ponies that have barely any to zero development are popular, any response to that I want to know since they too have no development.

• Brohoof 2

I like female characters overall more because I like their design more and they are cute male characters look more weird in my opinion

I see. Perhaps this is because I'm a dude, but I really like a lot of the stallions' designs. The general mare design is a little too cutesy for me.

They are popular because those ponies need more love rather than just be used by DHX to fill a scene. Plus we give them their own non canon personalities and names.

I know why people like BG/minor ponies in general, I'm just wondering why the females in particular, considering that a large portion of the fandom (majority?) is male.

• Brohoof 1

Since the entire mane cast is female most people watching probably prefer them over male characters, otherwise they wouldn't have become fans in the first place. So it stands to reason that minor mares are also more popular than stallions. That's just what I think anyway :)

• Brohoof 2

Since the entire mane cast is female most people watching probably prefer them over male characters, otherwise they wouldn't have become fans in the first place. So it stands to reason that minor mares are also more popular than stallions. That's just what I think anyway :)

Huh, interesting, I feel like my logic is kinda the reverse of that. Since there are so many female characters in the mane cast, it's nice to see some stallions from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

:lie:  I'm taking a wild guess here...

:please: Probably because, this show was developed by a female for a young female audience. The cast 80% consists of females  :pout: The only male that appears on in episodic basis is spike, :okiedokielokie: and his character is just used manely to assist said mane cast and for comedic relief.

:dash: So why you ask? There's not really much choice in the matter:

80% female ponies

10% Spike

5% Discord

2% Big Mac

3% Background/misc ponies

:confused: It is what it is.

:wub: I for one, still love the show regardless, as does most of the fandom. :yay:

Edited by Shimmerlicious
  • Brohoof 2

:lie:  I'm taking a wild guess here...

:please: Probably because, this show was developed by a female for a young female audience. The cast 80% consists of females  :pout: The only male that appears on in episodic basis is spike, :okiedokielokie: and his character is just used manely to assist said mane cast and for comedic relief.

:dash: So why you ask? There's not really much choice in the matter:

80% female ponies

10% Spike

5% Discord

2% Big Mac

3% Background/misc ponies

:confused: It is what it is.

:wub: I for one, still love the show regardless, as does most of the fandom. :yay:

Fair enough. I actually considered the fact that about 75% of all ponies in the show are female.

(I say ponies because plenty of the non-ponies in Equestria are actually male, like Steven Magnet and the Diamond Dogs)

People do prefer background ponies because of the fact that they are blank slates that aren't entirely blank. The characters do portray uniqueness in design and activities, and their lack of focus in the show makes them open for fans to run with their baseline aesthetic to expand on aspects of their personalities, backgrounds, lives, etc.

As for the male representation ratio; there actually are some popular male second and third-string characters. To name a few, there are Cheese Sandwich, Party Favor, Double Diamond, Button Mash, Doctor Whooves, and a few others. However, it really depends on aesthetics and what the characters are doing that appeals to people. There are some male background ponies that are hick/nerd stereotypes, some overly embellished designs, and others with completely interchangeable and replaceable designs and roles. Only Doctor Whooves has really managed to stand out.

I prefer Shady Daze myself. This colt needs more love.

img-3093674-1-shady_daze_by_ryanbate-d4v

I prefer Shady Daze myself. This colt needs more love.

sig-4075478.img-3093674-1-shady_daze_by_

Oh, I totally forgot about Shady Daze! :D

"This colt needs more love." Yep, I pretty much say the same five words with other ponies. You and I, we think alike. ;P

Except  I'm more for this guy.

Delivery_Pony_%22Where_do_you_want_all_t

• Brohoof 1

Simple. We just see a lot more female characters in the show. So its only natural that since they have greater visibility, they will have more popularity in an already popular show.

With a few exceptions, Snips and Snails and Prince Blueblood, I'd wager the majority of male characters are popular or likable.

Time Turner

Bulk Biceps

Pipsqueak

Button Mash

Lebowski characters

Thunderlane

Bill Neigh

I just named the notable background characters not even the supporting or star characters in an episode and even then most of these characters are familiar and quite popular with the fanbase. Its more a matter of visibility than actual preference.