Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone here listen to older music than their parents?

That Guy with the CMB

I actually tend to listen to music older than that of which my parents listen to. My mom listens to 90's music, and my dad listens to 80's music. I listen to stuff ranging from the 1920's to a few current songs. If my musical taste era was a data set, the mode would be the 70's, meaning that most of the music I like is from the 1970's.

• Brohoof 2

Interesting topic I totally relate to. Growing up with my dad and his love for music would be hard to miss what decade he prefers. He's 60's-70's guy all the way and then on the contrary there's me with my oddball taste in jazz genres that date way back. Archaic classical pieces are also added to the mix. But honestly I generally listen to a good sum of nearly all the decades of the 20th century. I don't really have a preferred overall genre or decade. I need a little variety with music otherwise music loses its luster with me. 

• Brohoof 1

Usually no. My parents mostly listen to classic rock which I like as well, but I usually do not listen to anything older than that. I usually stick with stuff from the early 90's and beyond, I listen to that the most. Unless it is really classical stuff.

Usually I listen to music from their era - 60s/70s. Although, believe it or not, I do listen to it more than them. However, I think aside from classical music, listening to music from before their time isn't very common for me. I do have a couple of Big Band/Swing classics I listen to, but not too many.

I mostly listen to stuff from the 60s to 80, with a few stuff from the 90s and beyond. I just feel more connected to that era of music then the other eras, especially the era of today.

Who would seriously think that Justin Beiber is a better pop singer then Michael Jackson or Phil Collins?

Who would say that One Direction is a better band then Queen or The Police?

I know it's just an opinion, but you need alot to prove me wrong.

• Brohoof 3

Who would seriously think that Justin Beiber is a better pop singer then Michael Jackson or Phil Collins?

Who would say that One Direction is a better band then Queen or The Police?

I will say one thing: I'd rather not listen to any of them.

I can see the value in Queen, but the rest of them... Eh. On the same level to me. lol

• Brohoof 1

I tend to like whatever I like, and that can come from anywhere. Also tends to be specific songs rather than a given artist or genre.

Mum isn't a big listener of music, and my Dad's stuff is mostly 80's things like Dire Straits and Enya (a combination that has always puzzled me).

I listen to anything, from 50's stuff like Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, The Beetles, Jethro Tull, ACDC, Guns and Roses, Human League, Eurythmics, Euphoric Trance/Dance, stuff from the indie revival of the early 2000's through to modern stuff like Galantis and Gabrielle Aplin.

Edited by DJW

I got my hands on a 1923 Brunswick record player. Roaring Twenties!! I even managed to acquire some records for it after some heavy research in the halls of the antique mall, all of which are prior to the 40's. From a Semper Fi of the 30's to The Little Gingerbread Boy record - my library is limited to the records I have. Other than that it's classical music for me and 30's with some 40's mixed in. Those would be the musical selections I listen to that my parents don't. I do like modern music but that for another forum topic. :)

• Brohoof 1

Usually my tastes stretch from the 80's to the present. My parents actually listen to mostly stuff from the 00's. My dad likes symphonic & goth metal and my mom mostly listens to radio rock. Their earliest tastes tend to stretch back to the early 80's. But I listen to albums written by Black Sabbath & Judas Priest from the 70's. Even my parents have commented that I listen to hard rock & metal from before they were interested in it. So that's a plus.

I like 80s Glam-Rock/Hair Metal and Pop, but if you want to go back further I also like old rock (like Creedance), and outlaw country (Johnny Cash sort of stuff).

Not much for Golden Oldies unless it's part of the atmosphere somewhere (ie: 50s music at a car-show) 

• 1 month later...

My musical taste is at least older than my mother's. She'd listen to a lot of more modern music when it comes on the radio whereas most of what I like is from the 60s through the 70s and 80s a bit into the early 90s, if at all — sometimes even 50s music. Once she said that I'm too young for my taste in music, and I'll turn 40 this year.

I love jazz and big band stuff, and my mom is 40 and I'm 20

I also love big band music from the 40s Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, and Count Basie. I also like to listen to Crosby, The Mills Brother, and of course the Rat Pack.