spoiler Twilight is a horrible princess of friendship

ManaMinori

I really don't get this fandom sometimes. They freak if they think a character is too perfect, the freak if they think they aren't perfect enough, and they freak when they randomly sprout appendages, they freak about everything and anything. Twilight was acting like anyone has acted before; i know I've had my bouts of jealousy. Just because she has a title doesn't mean she is absolved from having emotions, in fact, that was the flipping MORAL.

Y'all fillies need Celestia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVWvOC_2HU

it ever occurred to you that it just might not be the same people freaking out over every issue all the time?

I'm not saying she's not allowe5 to be jelous or have emotions. I'm saying that how she reacts to things puts her in a bad light as the PoF

Especially with half the crap that comes out her mouth.

"I don't believe any of you can have a goodtime with this dude who's not in our little friendship clique, because he's not a good guy. I don't trust him, and i don't wanna give him a chance. He must've put all of you under a spell, becaus you're all lying. You can't have fun with him under any other circumstance. Oh, and I know best. I'm the pretty princess of friendship! I can say all these horrible things, mistrusting my friends and not extend friendship to this guy, and look at my crown! Princes of friendship, in spite of my being a dick! I'm such a GOOD FRIEND!!!"

=_=

NO

it ever occurred to you that it just might not be the same people freaking out over every issue all the time?

I'm not saying she's not allowe5 to be jelous or have emotions. I'm saying that how she reacts to things puts her in a bad light as the PoF

"I don't believe any of you can have a goodtime with this dude who's not in our little friendship clique, because he's not a good guy. I don't trust him, and i don't wanna give him a chance. He must've put all of you under a spell, becaus you're all lying. You can't have fun with him under any other circumstance. Oh, and I know best. I'm the pretty princess of friendship! I can say all these horrible things, mistrusting my friends and not extend friendship to this guy, and look at my crown! Princes of friendship, in spite of my being a dick! I'm such a GOOD FRIEND!!!"

=_=

NO

I don't Twilight has and would have said that... (*cough cough* keep in mind that children are in the audience ;) ) And well, to be honest, I don't blame her for thinking that he might have done something like.. Putting a spell on them. I mean... The Mane 5 were acting so dang weird that I nearly thought that they were under some sort of spell too :P Discord well.. Doesn't have so much of a good impression on Twilight. Considering that earlier in the season, he went jealous and tried to put Tree Hugger into some sort of portal...
  • Brohoof 1

I don't Twilight has and would have said that... (*cough cough* keep in mind that children are in the audience ;) ) And well, to be honest, I don't blame her for thinking that he might have done something like.. Putting a spell on them. I mean... The Mane 5 were acting so dang weird that I nearly thought that they were under some sort of spell too :P Discord well.. Doesn't have so much of a good impression on Twilight. Considering that earlier in the season, he went jealous and tried to put Tree Hugger into some sort of portal...

And to add to this, it wasn't that long ago when he SOLD THE ENTIRETY OF EQUESTRIA OUT TO TIREK!!

• Brohoof 3

And to add to this, it wasn't that long ago when he SOLD THE ENTIRETY OF EQUESTRIA OUT TO TIREK!!

Yep! And which by the way.. Happened after he decided to BETRAY MANE 6 Edited by TwilightAqua
  • Brohoof 1

=_=

NO

I guess I'm a dick as well then, since I've found myself in situations very similar to that, where I've said very similar things, and I've been called out on it in much the same way. People get emotional over stupid stuff, they get irrational sometimes, and they find themselves saying stuff they later regret when the fog of jealousy has lifted from our vision. 

However when I saw I was in the wrong and I was letting jealousy get the better of me I owned up to it and apologized. True friends are willing to forgive these things though, especially if they see the apology as being sincere. I really related to her in this episode, and this is coming from the guy who made a topic titled "I don't understand Twilight Sparkle"

People aren't perfect, we all make mistakes, and writing off anyone for something as minor as this is going to make you a very lonely person, especially if the person whom made the mistake apologized.  

• Brohoof 6

she's really no better than Discord, though. Who was it, again, who mind controlled all the town of Ponyville, to fight over a doll, just so she could break it up, and preach friendship to the same ponies she mind controlled? And not even to really teach friendship! For her own goal of having a report to send the princess, for the sake of faking that she had actually learned somehing.

What a stellar example, boys and girls. Behold, your princess.

Let's not forget she often spells her own friends, the Fruitbats, the parasprites, frogs.....

Yeah. Um. How many ponies did Discord mind control? 6 at the most. Not a whole town.

• Brohoof 1

Especially with half the crap that comes out her mouth. "I don't believe any of you can have a goodtime with this dude who's not in our little friendship clique, because he's not a good guy. I don't trust him, and i don't wanna give him a chance. He must've put all of you under a spell, becaus you're all lying. You can't have fun with him under any other circumstance. Oh, and I know best. I'm the pretty princess of friendship! I can say all these horrible things, mistrusting my friends and not extend friendship to this guy, and look at my crown! Princes of friendship, in spite of my being a dick! I'm such a GOOD FRIEND!!!"

It's usually more effective to use actual quotes instead of a blatant strawman of your interpretation of things. It's harder to take you seriously.

Heck, one of your problems is that you act like Twilight can't believe that they ever had fun with Discord period, or that she hasn't ever been willing to give him a chance. In the beginning, she acted cordially around Discord, and even said she was glad they had such a great time. All she was feeling was confusion about everyone else having inside jokes with Discord because it came out of nowhere for her and feelings of jealousy of being left out that she was trying to keep down. Her first reaction isn't to suspect him of wrong doing. It's only after they tried and kept failing to explain what happened that she started making leaps of logic trying to figure it out and arrived at the idea that Discord put a spell on them. Which was after some moments where he acted suspcious ("Catch you later *eyes narrow* Twilight.").

Even if he didn't put a spell on the other five, he actually was up to something by taking malicious glee of Twilight feeling left out.

she's really no better than Discord, though. Who was it, again, who mind controlled all the town of Ponyville, to fight over a doll, just so she could break it up, and preach friendship to the same ponies she mind controlled? And not even to really teach friendship! For her own goal of having a report to send the princess, for the sake of faking that she had actually learned somehing. 

First off, she wasn't in her right mind when she did that. The stress was obviously making her crazy (she was having a Gollum moment by talking to her own reflection in a puddle and seeing distorted visions of kids laughing at her). Discord is not considered insane or out of his mind when he messes with people, he's just being his usual self. Also, she didn't intentionally try to mind control the whole town, and even with the CMC I don't think she wanted them to be that attached to it.

Let's not forget she often spells her own friends, the Fruitbats, the parasprites, frogs.....

Yeah. Um. How many ponies did Discord mind control? 6 at the most. Not a whole town.

She usually gets permission to spell her friends, the fruitbats and parasprites were pests (and the former she only did after getting approval from everyone including Applejack, the one who owns that farm), and it's Pinkie's fault she hit that frog.

And Discord showed that he mind controlled more than just six. Gopher Big Mac, tap dancing Granny Smith, those show he didn't stop at the mane six, so we can only imagine how many more were brainwashed off screen.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 3

While Twilight may have behaved poorly in today's episode, I don't think that is enough to tarnish her reputation as a princess. Although, I think that is she has enough time to "reorganize" her books again and again, then she is pretty much a useless princess. She must have no royal duties to speak of.

Anyway, she has reason enough to distrust Discord. He is seldom honest and uses deceit very often in his ambitions whether it's for selfish or supposed benevolent reasons. Unfortunately, this distrust may have manifested into paranoia. Is that what it was when Twilight thought her friends were being controlled?

• Brohoof 1

Actually if you watch Return of Harmony again, you'll notice that he screwed with Granny Smith and Big Mac as well.

It's not a stretch he did the same thing to EVERYONE he came across on his way to Ponyville.

Then there's those beavers in Keep Calm and Flutter On...

But see, I refuse to hold this to Discord forever as he tries to improve himself and move on.

And I'm certainly not going to hold every mistake every other character makes on them forever either.

All the Mane Six have done things that aren't okay. Sometime BLATANTLY. But that doesn't label them as bad ponies from then on. And really Twilight is still just a normal pony thrust into a position of prominence. I think she can rise to the position, but it won't be without screw-ups.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

What a stellar example, boys and girls. Behold, your princess.

Unfortunate. Up until this point, I was sort of respecting your opinion. I may have disagreed with it, but I thought you at least had a legitimate case to make. This post, however, has proven to me that you have no intention of being fair or balanced when it comes to Twilight, and are just bashing a character you don't like.

Why? You're bringing up events from an early second season episode, before she was even a princess. To borrow your analogy, that's like saying someone shouldn't be a doctor because they got some questions wrong on one of their exams when they were studying.

Sadly, it seems that continuing this discussion would be pointless.

• Brohoof 5

Man this is something I hate, for the last 2 seasons a lot of people have been complaining about Twilight being too perfect at times, getting to do nothing but lecture others on Friendship. And I'll admit Iv been among them at at times.

And now we get an episode where her flaws are highlighted again, her tendency to overreact, get super neruotic and then people get mad about that too!

So what dou you want guys? perfect pony princess or flawed girl who still has a lot ot learn.

Cause personally I found this episode overall average at best but it was one of my favorite Twilight apperances in a long time, I greatly prefer the overreactive and neruoritc Twilight. Twilight the friendship lecturer we got so much in S4 is honestly really boring.

• Brohoof 3

all I have to say is- would you give a degree and title of "Doctor", to a student still taking courses?

I certainly wouldn't

Twi, in every sense, is still a student. She most certainy shouldn't be running her own practice and diagnosing othes.she doesn't have to be a Mary Sue. I just expect better flippin judgement and I dunno, not freaking calling all 5 of her friends liars to their faces, because she can't possibly believe they had a good time with someone other than her, of their own accord!

She's hardly deserving of being called the Princess of Friendship, when she's being a condescending so and so, and calling her friends liars.

Doctors continue to discover something new everyday whether it's new medicine or a new method in their practices.

Teachers proceed to learn from their students.

Sometimes by helping others, you learn more about yourself. What you experience while giving experiences is what counts in the long run, DURING the long run. 

Rulers aren't perfect by any means. Doesn't make them less worthy of their title.

EDIT: I just finished reading through this entire discussion....and I must say, I'm a bit disappointed with your argument. It seems like one of those cases where you'll purposely fight to find a way to dissaprove of Twilight in general. And my intentions aren't to change your mind. I wish the rest of you well with this lol

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 3

I don't despise Twilight. I just think that she can be compared to Obama at times. You like her looks and personalities, and obsessions, but their thoughts and actions can get on people's nerves.

Twilight's awesome. I just don't understand how she still isn't fine with what she has. Wings, Princess, Castle, what more do you want from everypony?

Is Twilight the perfect friend? H*ll no she isn't. Who is though? It's things like this that forces me to remind people that perfection exists no where especially when it comes to being a great friend all the time.

Let's not forget how sh*tty her friends were to her at other times....Lesson Zero being the first come to mind.

I agree, Twilight's flawed moments or execution can clash into her titlw of being the Princess of Friendship....but it shouldn't count her out in remaining one. she hasnt been a princess of friendship for very long....and has a lot.more to learn. Which is the whole point of a lot of her episodes in the first place: she's still learning.

Go forbid, as soon as she became the Princess of Friendships and magically became a more reasonable and sensible friend near perfection, she would turn into a Cadence (perfect princess executed with little development an is literally based off her title and nothing more)....one Cadence is enough.

Besides, she has good reason to have doubt towards Discord. True....everyone deserves second chances and to be honest, TWILIGHT (aside from FLuttershy) was the one who gave him a second chance despite being the main one to doubt him in the first place. She forced Tirek to free him as well which led to her success. There will be moments of doubt towards a friends.....shoot....Family even doubt family at times. Doesn't make them any less worthy of what they are entitled to

You fail to see the reasoning behind Twilight's actions. Sometimes admitting that your jealous can be really hard. Also this is DISCORD we're talking about...How could anyone not be suspicious of him? Also I can't remember if you're that same guy who made that "Am I the only one who doesn't like Twilight?" thread or not but regarding Lesson Zero desperation can cause someone to do crazy and irrational things. You've probably never been in her shoes.

I really agree with these posts.

Also, I just want to point out that for so long now, people having been raging that Twilight is too perfect, and that she's become a terrible, unrelatable character because she never makes mistakes.  Mary Sue this and Mary Sue that.  (I had never even heard the the name Mary Sue before this forum.)  Now, she screws up a bit, feels jealous, has some real, relatable, human emotions...and we still get a thread attacking her!  Seems like this community just wants her banished to the Phantom Zone and that's that.

With regards to What About Discord specifically, I don't think she was accusing her friends of being liars; she was accusing Discord of skulduggery, which is understandable.  (Even I thought she might be right about that)  And I just want to point out that if this were real life, I would never trust Discord.  I mean, I still like him as a character, but I'm just saying that in actual real life, I wouldn't trust him.  I can forgive mistakes, but my trust can never be regained after outright, intentional betrayal.  Sorry if that sounds harsh.  But just sayin', I think anypony is justified in being suspicious of Discord.  It hasn't been that long since his "true" reform, after all.  Real trust takes years to build, and even longer to rebuild when it's been broken.  I mean, really, is it so hard to believe that it may take quite a few years for Discord to be fully trusted?  I don't think so, not at all.

• Brohoof 3

In the sense that she has little idea what a princess of friendship is actually supposed to do on a daily basis, then yes, she is a horrible princess. But that's only because there's never been a princess of friendship before. She'll be great in the long run.

You can't compare it to giving her the title of doctor, because everyone knows what to expect from a doctor. Celestia has basically given her total freedom to write her own job description, which is a blessing and a curse. Most artists are familiar with how much easier it is to work within some constraints, as opposed to coming up with something entirely new. The inspiration will hit her eventually.

As for her behavior in this episode, I think she is going somewhat insane and/or depressed from boredom and loneliness. She thought the castle map was going to solve her problem by making the decisions for her, but apparently it doesn't provide a full time job. And apparently her friends haven't had much time for her this season either, since she said she's read all of her books in Made in Manehattan, and we now know that the total number is around 20000. And then they try to make her say she's jealous, when what she's actually feeling is much deeper than that, but not yet clear enough to put into words. Yes she was jealous on the surface, but forcing her to admit it did more harm than good without addressing the underlying reason that she felt so left out in the first place.

• Brohoof 2

The princess of magic would be better for Twilight. It still looks like she doesnt Know enough about the friendship things. But then, Candace could be a flawed advisor in matters of love, either.

Edited by Swifty
  • Brohoof 1

Well if Twilight is going to be danged if she does, or danged if she doesn't than she might as well just do.

Anyways she is just fine as a Princess of Friendship, even if she has plenty of lessons to learn in the process. I dare say she has let her title get best of her at times  because she has a rigid definition and expectations of the concept, and she also has those perfectionist tendencies which is the core of her character leading her to make mountains out of molehills. She is still growing into the position.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 3

"I don't believe any of you can have a goodtime with this dude who's not in our little friendship clique, because he's not a good guy. I don't trust him, and i don't wanna give him a chance. 

Could you perhaps give me one reason to why Twilight should trust Discord after he helped Tirek? 

• Brohoof 5

I don't like Twilight, but I will still defend her. 

Twilight's friends had fun with Discord. Since Twilight wasn't there, she didn't understand what they did. They couldn't explain it. The only way she would understand is if she was there. Since she couldn't understand, she thought nothing fun actually happened (not uncommon) and figured that they were under a spell. It was something one wouldn't put past Discord anyways. Basically, she tried to figure out what was going on in the most logical way possible. Logical doesn't always mean correct, as seen in this episode. (we all do this. Our brains try to make sense of things that don't make sense all the time. It's basic psychology) 

Twilight is a Princess, but she's still not perfect. Twilight and I actually share a lot of the same flaws, which is why I don't like her. (I know, that makes no sense, I don't like someone who struggles with the same things I struggle with.) She isn't terrible, though. Sometimes, she makes mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are big. Sometimes, she may think she's doing the right thing and end up doing a terrible thing. She is a good princess. She is still new to the princess thing, so you can't expect her to be an amazing princess. I bet even Princess Celestia still learns lessons. We don't see much of Princess Celestia, so I don't really know. I believe that we never stop learning, though. A doctor will still learn about medicine, a writer will still learn about writing, a psychologist will still learn about the brain, even after they finished school and such. Twilight still has things to learn about friendship, even though she is no longer a student.

• Brohoof 3