Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zombie Discussion Thread

BizzarePony

I've recently started watching the show "The Walking Dead," and it got me thinking. That show provides one of the most realistic depictions I've seen of what a zombie apocalypse would look like, not to mention the fact that it's incredibly entertaining. But anyways, this thread is for the discussion of all things zombie. Some examples include:

Media fascination with zombies

Most realistic depictions of zombies in games/movies/tv shows

Favorite zombies

How a zombie apocalypse would start

How you plan on surviving a zombie apocalypse

This thread should be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

ZOMBEH! Sorry, stupid response. Anyway, I tried watching the Walking Dead marathon a few weeks back with my uncle, but when my parents came in she got pissed, which meant my Dad had to calm her down and my Uncle laughing a lot. How far have you gotten?

Aha! The Walking Dead one of the only TV shows left that I find entertaining!

Though I have missed the last 3 episodes and really need to get caught up here soon!

I've read quite a few of the comics for "The Walking Dead" I'd have to say that the show took a lot of liberties when produced by AMC.

Which isn't "bad" necessarily, but they did make a few DRASTIC changes to the story that I find are better in the comic! (Let's just say a certain major character should've died by the closing of Season 1) But I do recommend Kirkman's Comic Series and AMC's TV Show!

Zombies are a bit of an overrated subject these days since they're appearing in EVERYTHING! I'm getting quite sick of the phenomenon actually (Well besides "The Walking Dead show/comic).

My favorite Zombie game is Plants vs Zombie because you use FREAKING PLANTS!

And I may one day write my own Zombie related novel that I've been visualizing for the last few years (haven't really been inspired to write lately) In which I think it would be interesting to have a story from the viewpoint of a scientist that caused a zombie Apocalypse (presumably on accident) and he tries to redeem himself by saving mankind!

• Brohoof 1

Fast, no one likes killing slow zombies :P

Well there is a terrible thing that foes along with that.

They are rotting flesh.

If they sprinted like Zombie Land zombies, they would run themselves to pieces, literaly.

• Brohoof 1

This is my kind of thread.

So I have a question for you zombie fans, and I have a logical answer for either.

Slow or fast Zombies?

SLOW! Don't be a silly filly! :P

How fast do you expect rotting flesh that is somehow still animated to move let alone running.

Plus the power of zombies is in number and that's ALL they need. (well and the smell!)

SLOW! Don't be a silly filly! :P

How fast do you expect rotting flesh that is somehow still animated to move let alone running.

Plus the power of zombies is in number and that's ALL they need. (well and the smell!)

Exactly. See my answer I gave to rarity silly c:

I subscribe to the slow moving, doesn't matter if you got bit, once you die you're getting back up, school of zombie thought. They don't run, they don't climb, they just amble on forward. You can hold out, you can stay safe for a while, but when all else is said and done, the world has already ended - you just missed the memo, and are just fighting against the inevitable.

My zombies don't have a virus, and they don't come with scientific explanations. The how and why don't exist, and quite frankly don't matter.

As for where I'd go in an attempt at fighting against the above scenario... I'd probably hole up in the warehouse at work with my coworkers. Extremely thick concrete walls, every tool we could ever need, more raw materials than we could ever hope to use, and tons of heavy metal racking that we could take apart to make near impenetrable barricades. The situation has been discussed, and our survival plans already made. When the zombie apocalypse comes, we will be ready.

Edited by Zoop

I subscribe to the slow moving, doesn't matter if you got bit, once you die you're getting back up, school of zombie thought. They don't run, they don't climb, they just amble on forward. You can hold out, you can stay safe for a while, but when all else is said and done, the world has already ended - you just missed the memo, and are just fighting against the inevitable.

My zombies don't have a virus, and they don't come with scientific explanations. The how and why don't exist, and quite frankly don't matter.

As for where I'd go in an attempt at fighting against the above scenario... I'd probably hole up in the warehouse at work with my coworkers. Extremely thick concrete walls, every tool we could ever need, more raw materials than we could ever hope to use, and tons of heavy metal racking that we could take apart to make bear impenetrable barricades. The situation has been discussed, and our survival plans already made. When the zombie apocalypse comes, we will be ready.

Actually, if you think about it, a zombie is just a mindless human.

And how do humans learn? They watch.

And if someone like climbs up a latter infront of them, they will learn how to do it.

Well there is a terrible thing that foes along with that.

They are rotting flesh.

If they sprinted like Zombie Land zombies, they would run themselves to pieces, literaly.

I always imagined zombies being cause by parasites which latch onto certain parts of the brain, and eventually take over the control of the victims body. This would mean that if the parasite could manage to effectively get sources of food and water, the flesh might not rot as you would normally expect from the stereotypical zombie.

I would assume that at first it would not know how to control a human body though, so it would have to learn just like an infant.

Another question you would have to ask though is: If a parasite did take over your brain, would it be able to see what you see? Well I have no clue, I doubt it could control every single function of your brain unless it were a VERY large parasite. if it cannot see, the body would likely just lay there where it became infected, jerking around until the host dies.

I just think in order for zombies to be anything like the movies they would require parasites to go through millions, or possibly even billions, more years of evolution. so I seriously doubt we will be seeing anything like that in our lifetimes :)

And if someone like climbs up a latter infront of them, they will learn how to do it.

I prefer to look at them as being something that completely lacks the ability to learn in the least bit, to the point that their ability to shamble forward on two feet is nothing short of a miracle. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I always imagined zombies being cause by parasites which latch onto certain parts of the brain, and eventually take over the control of the victims body. This would mean that if the parasite could manage to effectively get sources of food and water, the flesh might not rot as you would normally expect from the stereotypical zombie.

I would assume that at first it would not know how to control a human body though, so it would have to learn just like an infant.

Another question you would have to ask though is: If a parasite did take over your brain, would it be able to see what you see? Well I have no clue, I doubt it could control every single function of your brain unless it were a VERY large parasite. if it cannot see, the body would likely just lay there where it became infected, jerking around until the host dies.

I just think in order for zombies to be anything like the movies they would require parasites to go through millions, or possibly even billions, more years of evolution. so I seriously doubt we will be seeing anything like that in our lifetimes :)

Well if the cause of the Zombie was a parasite, it could easily be killed by chemicals. Plus, it would be like rabies. You would not rot away, unless the parascite kills your tissue.

A parascite would only eat your brain as well. It would not see anything, it would only affect your actions.

I prefer to look at them as being something that completely lacks the ability to learn in the least bit, to the point that their ability to shamble forward on two feet is nothing short of a miracle. ;)

Well, that is kind of illogical. (even though zombies are in a way as well.)

If it is a virus, they would still be humans.

Just that they would be reverted back to their animal instincts.

Edited by Finesthour

Well, that is kind of illogical. (even though zombies are in a way as well.)

If it is a virus, they would still be humans.

Just that they would be reverted back to their animal instincts.

Might want to read my post again...

"My zombies don't have a virus, and they don't come with scientific explanations. The how and why don't exist, and quite frankly don't matter."

Thus,

"They don't run, they don't climb, they just amble on forward."

As for logic... rotting corpses that have gotten up and are walking around care not for your silly logic. ;)

Might want to read my post again...

"My zombies don't have a virus, and they don't come with scientific explanations. The how and why don't exist, and quite frankly don't matter."

Thus,

"They don't run, they don't climb, they just amble on forward."

As for logic... rotting corpses that have gotten up and are walking around care not for your silly logic. ;)

Which is why I also said that zombies were not logical in the same way.

And not explaining the zombie in your opinion is what confused me.

Plus, they are still humans, no matter how bad their brains get destroyed.

Perhaps the one's that CAN climb without losing an arm (alpha zombies).

I always imagined zombies being cause by parasites which latch onto certain parts of the brain, and eventually take over the control of the victims body.

It starts with the ANTS! http://www.guardian....nter-ant-fungus

Well worded post and good survival strategy!

However I do like to see some sort of scientific explanation for zombies but like you said when pinned down by a thousand of them does science even matter! (well unless you were making a cure or zombie pesticide!)

Perhaps the one's that CAN climb without losing an arm (alpha zombies).

Well like I said, they will try.

They are infants, like someone said in the thread.

they learn by watching, therefor they are like the old humans back in BC.

I knew someone was going to bring that up :P

But yeah that's just a tiny little ant with a very VERY small brain, you would need a parasite about a million or so times larger to do something at all similar to anypony.

Actually, no you don't. The tinyiest bug that gets into your brain can completly destroy you.

And before anypony asks,

yes I am obsessed with zombies.

If a zombie apocalypse started with those buggers, I'd commit suicide immediately. I'm seriously afraid of swarms/groups of small things (bugs, marbles, etc.)

Well suicide would be such an easy way out. I want to be eaten alive. I would rather die fighting than pussy out.

So would I. If it was a zombie/zombies not infected by small, parasitic, easily-grouped, evil, swarming little bugs, I'd fight till the death. Paralyzing fears is something you don't want to have during combat, period. Henceforth the suicide comment. (This is also a reason why don't play Halo 3 as often as I should).