Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Number the ESRB Ratings in your collection

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

With the advent of the ESRB, games are of course given a specific rating. With these ratings, it seems trends have been appearing over time, most notably now that there are many, many M rated titles hitting the market, at least, judging by my games on Xbox One at least. Of course, one's purchase decisions don't specifically affect this on an individual level, but in the overall scheme, it can show what has prevalence in the market.

So, here is what I am curious of. What is the rate of ESRB ratings in your collection? Could be for just one system, could be a mixture, you may have too many games to even list, so list it how you wish. This could make for interesting discussion. Do you think the number in your collection shows prevalence of a certain rating in today's gaming world? Or even on a particular system? Different game companies may even market themselves towards certain ratings. 

Also, if you live in the UK and use Pegi, you can of course list that or what rating equivalent you have,. ^__^

For me, this is what is in my Xbox disc game collection. I have many more digital based games but I will get to those another time. 

M: 18

T: 2

E10+: 1

As you can see, M for Mature dominates in my disc collection. 

It's been a while since I've gotten physical games. And I didn't check the ratings of what I own on steam. 

So, here's what I can find:

E: 11

E10: 2

T: 42

M: 11

A: 4

?: 16

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

E: 103 (i have a lot of E's lel)

K-A: 8

E10+: 10

T: 15

M: 19

Unknown (some retro stuff before the ESRB was a thing, plus a few Steam games that don't have a rating): 29

went through and took about an hour or so just to see what I had <3

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony
  • Brohoof 1

I unfortunately cannot provide an exact number as im quite happily relaxed. I can offer ballpark percentages however:

E: 92%

T: 5.75%

M: 1.25%

Im probably ballparking that E pretty low. It doesn't really say much about the market, but it does say something about the types of games I like to play. The one M title is the original halo game, as a side note.

• 6 years later...

I'm not going to go attempt to count (would require a lot of work lol), but I can give you a general idea:

The vast, vast majority are rated E. A much smaller number T. M is definitely in the single digits. Like we're talking Persona 5 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. M games are a hard sell for me. Persona 5 isn't at all characteristic overtly-violent gritty M rated games (that's not to say it is light-hearted. The first enemy arc is particularly disturbing in a very real way and so I understand why it is rated M), so it's right up my alley. Odyssey I got pretty much because I am a history nerd and wanted to see Ancient Greece recreated. I turned off the blood, was still a bit freaked out by it, but enjoyed it. Assassin's Creed is probably the only M-rated violent series I will ever play because of its historical settings.