Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Not a fan of Flurry Heart?

ThatAnonymousPony

I think Flurry Heart is a dangerous brat and one of the worst characters ever. Shes way too overpowered, and could have possibly caused more damage than Starlight Glimmer in the cutie remark. I won't mind Flurry as a unicorn or pegasus, but this is just ridiculous.

• Brohoof 2

I think Flurry Heart is a dangerous brat and one of the worst characters ever. Shes way too overpowered, and could have possibly caused more damage than Starlight Glimmer in the cutie remark. I won't mind Flurry as a unicorn or pegasus, but this is just ridiculous.

Yes!! I agree with you completely!

(edited)
Tell that to episode 100.

An episode that was an attempt to cater to the fanbase, and an episode that just as many bronies disliked as there were bronies that liked it.

Think about that every time someone whines about Flurry Heart.  Nearly as many people complained about episode 100 and what was or wasn't in it, and what was done and what wasn't done.

Point is, it doesn't really matter what Hasbro or the staff do, because some people are simply unpleasable.

Not only that, but everyone knows the real reason why people are whining about her. Let's not bull---- ourselves here.  I think we're all intelligent enough to agree here.

The real reason people are whining about her, and didn't whine about the Cakes (despite their babies having powers too) is because she was in the two-part premiere and they weren't.  It has nothing to do with her being an Alicorn or having powers, or even being a baby for that matter.  It's because she was in the premiere.  If she were in any other episode, people wouldn't complain about her this much (a few baby-haters might still complain, but the people on this topic largely wouldn't), if at all. 

Yeah, there's a strong double-standard in these topics once you root out the truth.  That's probably why nobody's mentioned it up until now, because it admits to hypocrisy.

Hypocritical character bashing disguised as constructive criticism (extremely poorly, since anyone with two functioning brain cells can tell it's character bashing), doesn't impress me.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

An episode that was an attempt to cater to the fanbase, and an episode that just as many bronies disliked as there were bronies that liked it.

Think about that every time someone whines about Flurry Heart.  Nearly as many people complained about episode 100 and what was or wasn't in it, and what was done and what wasn't done.

Point is, it doesn't really matter what Hasbro or the staff do, because some people are simply unpleasable.

Not only that, but everyone knows the real reason why people are whining about her. Let's not bull---- ourselves here.  I think we're all intelligent enough to agree here.

The real reason people are whining about her, and didn't whine about the Cakes (despite their babies having powers too) is because she was in the two-part premiere and they weren't.  It has nothing to do with her being an Alicorn or having powers, or even being a baby for that matter.  It's because she was in the premiere.  If she were in any other episode, people wouldn't complain about her this much (a few baby-haters would still complain, but the people on this topic largely wouldn't), if at all. 

Yeah, there's a strong double-standard in these topics once you root out the truth.  That's probably why nobody's mentioned it up until now, because it admits to hypocrisy.

Hypocritical character bashing disguised as constructive criticism (extremely poorly, since anyone with two functioning brain cells can tell it's character bashing), doesn't impress me.

Are you serious? You think people actually care about whether she was in the premiere or not? People hate her for all the previously stated reasons (especially because she's an alicorn). And it's not that we're all a bunch of "baby haters," I never said I hated the other babies in the show.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
Are you serious? You think people actually care about whether she was in the premiere or not?

Not only do I think that, I KNOW that.  That's why we have so much more whining about Flurry Heart than other babies in the show, even despite the fact that we're likely only going to see her in this premiere, and maybe occasionally in one-off episodes.  

People hate her for all the previously stated reasons (especially because she's an alicorn).

I guarantee you that if she weren't an Alicorn, and if she didn't have powers whatsoever, people would still whine because she is featured in the season premiere, instead of featuring some epic conflict or adventure, as is typically the case with premieres and finales.  Her being an Alicorn and having powers are red herrings people use to justify the hate for the character and to distract from the real reason they're complaining (because she's in the premiere).

And it's not that we're all a bunch of "baby haters," I never said I hated the other babies in the show.

I wasn't directing this single line in parenthesis to everyone on this topic, but inevitably there would still be one or two people who don't like baby characters in their shows that would complain about it, even if she weren't in the premiere.  But again, I guarantee you we wouldn't see such a rash of character bashing if it weren't for this being the first two-parter of the season.

That's what makes it a double-standard.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

I guarantee you that if she weren't an Alicorn, and if she didn't have powers whatsoever, people would still whine because she is featured in the season premiere, instead of featuring some epic conflict or adventure, as is typically the case with premieres and finales. Her being an Alicorn and having powers are red herrings people use to justify the hate for the character and to distract from the real reason they're complaining (because she's in the premiere).

I don't give a flying feather about her being in the season opener, the reason I dislike her is because her presence (although currently unexplained) basically trashes the existing perception that being an Alicorn is a reward for doing great deeds and risks creating a precedent where Alicorns beget Alicorns which establishes them as a hereditary master race instead of being the pinnacle of a meritocratic society.

Of course it remains to be seen if that will be the case or not, she is currently a bit of an anomaly. But even so, it diminishes Twilight's accomplishment if the reward that she worked so hard for can be bestowed to another just by the sheer fact of being born to right sort of people.

I await with apprehensive trepidation the explanation of her existence.

Not only do I think that, I KNOW that.  That's why we have so much more whining about Flurry Heart than other babies in the show, even despite the fact that we're likely only going to see her in this premiere, and maybe occasionally in one-off episodes.  

I guarantee you that if she weren't an Alicorn, and if she didn't have powers whatsoever, people would still whine because she is featured in the season premiere, instead of featuring some epic conflict or adventure, as is typically the case with premieres and finales.  Her being an Alicorn and having powers are red herrings people use to justify the hate for the character and to distract from the real reason they're complaining (because she's in the premiere).

I wasn't directing this single line in parenthesis to everyone on this topic, but inevitably there would still be one or two people who don't like baby characters in their shows that would complain about it, even if she weren't in the premiere.  But again, I guarantee you we wouldn't see such a rash of character bashing if it weren't for this being the first two-parter of the season.

That's what makes it a double-standard.

The main reason people hate her is because she's an alicorn. I have no idea where you're suddenly getting this "premiere" shit from. To be honest, I don't care what episode number it is that they put her on the show, I just don't like her being a problematic, over-powered alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

Man I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but I've despised that little brat since the preview! Let me explain. Becoming an alicorn isn't something that just happens. You have to earn it! You become an alicorn when you deserve it like you know, Twilight who had to learn valuable lessons, save Equestria, and proven she actually deserves it. It's even been confirmed on the premiere that no pony has been born an alicorn. I feel like it makes other alicorns who actually deserve it seem less special.

And you know, all this one needed to do was be born! No earning it, no proving herself worthy! You know what she did? She almost killed the entire crystal empire! I mean, I hated the idea of an alicorn baby since I first saw it, but after she broke the heart, I was filled with rage. I don't care that it was all fixed at the end! None of that would have happened if it wasn't for her.

Also, take a look at her gigantic wings. She was able to fly right after birth. Meanwhile, we've got poor Scootaloo struggling and even getting bullied for not being able to fly on Fly to the Finish. And then there's Sweetie Belle who can barely do magic at all, but yet this alicorn is already so powerful. I know Flurry Heart can't control her magic, but she's still a million times more powerful than any other young pony. So we've got Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo struggling for a long time over stuff that this baby could do in the first hour of her existence.

I'm sorry, but Flurry Heart ruins everything that made other character's accomplishments seem special. I get that they needed new plot points for the new season, but this was not the best way to go about it in my opinion. Is this baby gonna steal all the glory from any other character, including the potential that Starlight Glimmer has being Twilight's student? That's even a big plot point on its own, so we don't need an alicorn baby taking up all the air time. Plus, with this thing being born an alicorn and all, she's basically being put on the same level as Celestia.

I'm sorry, but I don't like the idea of some super powerful immortal alicorn who will probably be a million times more powerful than Twilight, Starlight Glimmer, or really any of the characters we know and love. I don't like the idea of this baby not having to earn what the other alicorns worked hard for! Sorry, but I just hate it! How do you all feel about this?

I agree with this compeletly ... Though I see it alittle differently, think of pound and pumpkin cake, in that Ep a few seasons back bronies either liked or hated them, liked them for there cuteness, hated them for either how badly they were made or because they could fly and use magic so young ... Or both, don't matter to me ... Now mix the two of them and make it look like the Flurry Heart we have today and u have all the reasons as to why I hate her

As far as the other Princess's go, while Twi and most likely Cadence had to earn the right to be a Princess, that doesn't mean Celestia and Luna had to ... From what we know they (apart from Flurry Heart ofc) must of been naturally born alicorns, but in the premier, Celestia said something that doesn't add up with all the headcanon I have up to this point "I don't know, this is the first ever alicorn to be born naturally" or something like that ... This just raises more questions about Celestia that I personally wanna know .... Anyways back on topic ....

While yes I do like the colour scheme of Flurry Heart, that's about it, Hasbro started copying Bronies for once ... They made a canon OP Alicorn ... Fun level percentage = 0%

(edited)
But even so, it diminishes Twilight's accomplishment if the reward that she worked so hard for can be bestowed to another just by the sheer fact of being born to right sort of people.

All I can say is, welcome to one of the more unpleasant facts of succession.  If two members of royalty have a kid, then naturally that kid will be royalty.  It's a lousy notion, but that's how it works.

I await with apprehensive trepidation the explanation of her existence.

I'll explain her existence right now.  Her mother is an Alicorn.  Her father is a Unicorn.  They...  did what ponies do.  She was born.  That's how she exists. 

I have no idea where you're suddenly getting this "premiere" shit from.

I'm 'getting' the premiere thing from the fact that it's the key reason people are whining about this.  Anything else regarding her appearance or abilities, is just an excuse to disguise this fact.  If she wasn't in the premiere, we wouldn't have had this forum flooded with topics about her.  We would have had one, maybe two (there are a few legitimate criticisms).  But that would have been it, and it would have quickly been dropped.

Not only that but, if my outlook for the movie turns out to be generally true, Flurry Heart is going to be the least of anyone's worries.

Edited by SBaby

It does also state quite clearly that because of the different way that Alicorns age it's perfectly normal for them to still have blank flanks well into what would be considered adult age in the non-Alicorn pony races.

Yes, it's possible it meant what you wrote, but It could mean that they take longer in comparison to other ponies, as they could have gotten their cutie marks at the equivalent age of a lesser pony, but we all know that natural born alicorns like the sisters take longer to reach such age

All I can say is, welcome to one of the more unpleasant facts of succession.  If two members of royalty have a kid, then naturally that kid will be royalty.  It's a lousy notion, but that's how it works.

I'll explain her existence right now.  Her mother is an Alicorn.  Her father is a Unicorn.  They...  did what ponies do.  She was born.  That's how she exists. 

I'm 'getting' the premiere thing from the fact that it's the key reason people are whining about this.  Anything else regarding her appearance or abilities, is just an excuse to disguise this fact.  If she wasn't in the premiere, we wouldn't have had this forum flooded with topics about her.  We would have had one, maybe two (there are a few legitimate criticisms).  But that would have been it, and it would have quickly been dropped.

Not only that but, if my outlook for the movie turns out to be generally true, Flurry Heart is going to be the least of anyone's worries.

I guess I'll have to state it again for the billionth time, idgaf what episode she's on!! Who even cares? I hate her for many reasons, and to summarize it as one, it would be because THAT PIECE OF PROBLEMATIC SHIT IS AN ALICORN! Of course, that's not the only reason. The first time I saw Flurry Heart was from a picture on the internet. I had no idea which episode they'd feature her on first, but I hated the fact that she was an ALICORN. She's still the same no matter what episode she's on. Who even cares that it was the premiere? The reason forums are suddenly full of hate for her is because this is when we first saw her. If the first time we saw her was a month from now, it would be the exact same thing. Idgaf when they introduce her to the show, because she'd still be the same exact over-powered alicorn. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
Who even cares that it was the premiere?

Just about everybody that's been posting here.  As I said before, there would still be people that would whine about her being an Alicorn or being OP regardless, but the scale wouldn't be anywhere near as large as it is, if it weren't for her being in the premiere. 

If the first time we saw her was a month from now, it would be the exact same thing.

No it wouldn't.  Four and a half years on this message board has shown me such.

Idgaf when they introduce her to the show, because she'd still be the same exact over-powered alicorn.

And indeed, a few people would still complain and whine about it.  But we wouldn't have people spamming the site with topic after topic about it if it didn't happen in the premiere or finale. 

It was in the premiere in this instance, and with MMC (which you weren't here for), it was the finale.  And those have been the only two instances it's been this bad. 

Every other time anything has happened that could be considered a misstep (even in the cases where I agree it's a misstep, and in some cases bigger missteps than people felt this was), it has never caused the entire forum to be flooded with topics and posts about it.

Edited by SBaby

Just about everybody that's been posting here.  As I said before, there would still be people that would whine about her being an Alicorn or being OP regardless, but the scale wouldn't be anywhere near as large as it is, if it weren't for her being in the premiere. 

No it wouldn't.  Four and a half years on this message board has shown me such.

And indeed, a few people would still complain and whine about it.  But we wouldn't have people spamming the site with topic after topic about it if it didn't happen in the premiere or finale. 

It was in the premiere in this instance, and with MMC (which you weren't here for), it was the finale.  And those have been the only two instances it's been this bad. 

Every other time anything has happened that could be considered a misstep (even in the cases where I agree it's a misstep, and in some cases bigger missteps than people felt this was), it has never caused the entire forum to be flooded with topics and posts about it.

And what's so wrong about a topic becoming popular exactly? Just because a lot more people are talking about it, I don't see why that's something to complain about. People have valid reasons for hating her and if you don't hate her, just ignore the topic! Plus, this is the only current topic about it that people are posting on, It's not like there are 20 of them.

(edited)
Plus, this is the only current topic about it that people are posting on, It's not like there are 20 of them.

No, but there have only been about that many topics regarding Flurry Heart before this one, and they all do the same thing, bash the character.  I don't have a problem with a topic being made to discuss something.  But when you get about a dozen topics that bash a character, it starts to get redundant.

Edited by SBaby

* it definitely is frustrating to see this character exist, but i just hope that they don't make too much of an appearance.

Or if they make another babysitting episode ... That would suck

Or if they make another babysitting episode ... That would suck

* it's probably safe to say that an episode like that will exist and i personally don't look forward to it at all.

No, but there have only been about that many topics regarding Flurry Heart before this one, and they all do the same thing, bash the character.  I don't have a problem with a topic being made to discuss something.  But when you get about a dozen topics that bash a character, it starts to get redundant.

Well there's only one now, so just ignore it then

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, DallasGreatPyrenees said:

This is old news

Yes, it was an old post though. I'm not sure I understand what your point is exactly. Would it be possible for you to elaborate? 

• 1 month later...

At this point, my main issue is simply her being born as an Alicorn. We still have no answers for that in any way, and it makes her overpowered right out of the gate. Which really sucks, because after Flurry of Emotions, I am liking her more for what she is. She is cute and I absolutely adore the interactions between her and Twilight, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. That episode showed that she can be portrayed as far more than just a simple cartoon baby stereotype.

So I am sorta split down the middle in terms of how I feel about her. Until they provide some kind of proper explanation as to way she is an Aliborn, I will always dislike that aspect of her.

• Brohoof 1

For me, her appearance bothers me mostly. A Flurry of Emotions did a good job of trying to make her look more like what I believe the creators intended her to be - cute - but I still can't help wanting to slap the ever living crap outta her when I see her sometimes. I don't hate her, though.

Also, aside from the whole alicorn debate, her eyes are also unexplicably weird. How come all the other babies get undetailed eyes while she has these huge, shiny, abysmal blue spheres in her head. Why? WHY!?! I NEED ANSWERS, CREATORS! maybe if her oddness were tastefully explained, I could find it easier to be more accepting of her.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:17 PM, SBaby said:

Found sergeant sarcastic.

On 4/3/2016 at 10:38 AM, SBaby said:

The real reason people are whining about her, and didn't whine about the Cakes (despite their babies having powers too) is because she was in the two-part premiere and they weren't. 

No, her being in the premiere has absolutely nothing to do with my disdain. It may for others, but I'm willing to bet it's a very small percentage, or not a factor at all.

On 6/27/2017 at 7:04 AM, Kyoshi said:

At this point, my main issue is simply her being born as an Alicorn. We still have no answers for that in any way, and it makes her overpowered right out of the gate. Which really sucks, because after Flurry of Emotions, I am liking her more for what she is. She is cute and I absolutely adore the interactions between her and Twilight, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. That episode showed that she can be portrayed as far more than just a simple cartoon baby stereotype.

So I am sorta split down the middle in terms of how I feel about her. Until they provide some kind of proper explanation as to way she is an Aliborn, I will always dislike that aspect of her.

I don't understand why there needs to be an answer for why she was born an alicorn.

I mean her mother is an alicorn, so I just assumed it made sense for her to be born as one.

Plus the fandom has always just assumed that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns and didn't have a problem with that, so I generally don't see the problem with Flurry Heart being born one either.