Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv #BoycottGhostbusters (at this point you have too)

Buck Testa

(edited)

This is a supposed leak on the disastrous plot of this movie. It lines up eerily well to the second Trailer, which came out after this disclosure took place, so it seems to be on the level. If this is the case, then the movie is going to be just as utterly terrible as everyone is saying. Not to mention there is going to be a literal ghost possessed dance routine with the police and military... how stupid is that.

Sony is also Heavily moderating posts that have legitimate grievances against the movie, while leaving the troll comments with racist/sexist tones to them in order to present the image that the opposition towards this film is purely motivated by misogyny and bigotry.  

This will definitely make fans go in blood boiling rage. And I won't find it strange if Sony gets hacked again.

Edited by Limeblossom
  • Brohoof 1

This will definitely make fans go in blood boiling rage. And I won't find it strange if Sony gets hacked again.

It'll be North Korea again too

gfdno.jpg

They'll be so outraged by how badly they screwed up Ghostbusters they'll put their nation towards hacking them all over again lol

• Brohoof 1

Why does that girl with glasses remind me too much of DJ Pone? She's silent and her appearance looks just like DJ Pone.

I'd watch a Pony Ghostbusters movie in a heartbeat.  :pinkie:  :yay:

536902__safe_pinkie+pie_clothes_crossove

• Brohoof 3

I'm saying that not only is the movie going to be bad (I posted vids in this thread with links to leaked spoilers), but that if this thing does even a little well it will set a precedent that ANY movie studio can latch onto a political movement and brow beat the public into seeing it or be branded as sexist or racist or what have you, instead of pulling them in on the quality of the film and marketing alone. This could flag in a bunch of terrible movies where every single one of them is crucifying people for not wanting to watch it.

Directors who blame audiences for not seeing their films for whatever reason will not last long in a business where public relations is everything. As it is, there were plenty of nasty comments that came out when it was first announced the new Ghostbusters would all be female, so I think there is plenty of childishness on both sides of the argument.

Me, I'm just going to see a film, and I don't give a damn if anyone doesn't like that.

I stated my views on the matter in a blog post.

https://mlpforums.com/blog/2179/entry-20098-james-rolfe-on-refusing-to-see-ghostbusters-2016-my-point-of-view/

And I'm posting my ending statement from the blog post.

"Now will I go see this movie? No, mainly because of funds, but I don't believe the reviews should deter anyone from seeing it, bad or not."

"I respect his opinion, but the one thing that always get me is when people decide to bash something without trying it first."

I'd contest that point by saying that given the amount of information we have about what this movie is going to be (including drafts of the script from the sony leaks as well as the terrible trailers) I'd say we have more than enough data too go off of to know its going to be a crap cash grab of a reboot. This, and the fact that it has no real tie to the original series, was more than enough for AVGN to pass on this series. This isn't even taking into account the campaign to brand anyone who doesn't want to see this film as sexist and the myriad of hit pieces written against AVGN over his mere opinion of not wanting to see the film. 

The argument of "you haven't even tried it yet" only stretches so far, especially under the fires of past experience and common sense. 

If someone offers you a meal made of shell fish and it doesn't smell right at all, would you eat it if someone said, "You haven't even tried it yet, what if its actually good?" 

I stated my views on the matter in a blog post.

https://mlpforums.com/blog/2179/entry-20098-james-rolfe-on-refusing-to-see-ghostbusters-2016-my-point-of-view/

And I'm posting my ending statement from the blog post.

"Now will I go see this movie? No, mainly because of funds, but I don't believe the reviews should deter anyone from seeing it, bad or not."

What is the point in reviews then. Some people trust them to determine if something is worth their money as not every has a large amount of disposable income. That being said I don't think the whole "you can't knock it until you've tried it" mentality really works. In this case, the trailer is the "trial" it's the "demo" of the film if you will, intended to showcase the best parts if it fails to interest, then it's perfectly fair to not see the film.

"You can't knock it until you try it" is the mentality that product makers count on because even if you hear from almost everyone a product is crap, you'll still give them cash. It's a mentality that was created to be advantageous to content creators because it forces business even if the product looks sub-par. Honestly, I can't think of many things that the mentality applies to really. In this case Paul Fieg is even using that mentality in hopes he'll get cash. "You can't knock this movie until you pay to see it, and thus give me cash that you can't get back".

A trailer is our "trial". It's a movie, not a video game, so we can't do the whole "get a demo, try it for free if you don't like it, don't buy the full version" because otherwise we'd be watching the film. So trailers are sort of our "demo". We've gotten 2 trailers which combined show about 5 minutes total of the film. If 5 minutes of the "best" bits of the film can't entice someone, it's safe to say that the film probably won't be very good because even films which did INSANELY crappy at the box office were able to stir up more interest with the trailers. I can think of many instances where the trailer was better than the actual film, if your trailer can't even make the film look good, then clearly you have little to show.

If someone offers you a meal made of shell fish and it doesn't smell right at all, would you eat it if someone said, "You haven't even tried it yet, what if its actually good?"

That's a fair point

A trailer is our "trial". It's a movie, not a video game, so we can't do the whole "get a demo, try it for free if you don't like it, don't buy the full version" because otherwise we'd be watching the film. So trailers are sort of our "demo". We've gotten 2 trailers which combined show about 5 minutes total of the film. If 5 minutes of the "best" bits of the film can't entice someone, it's safe to say that the film probably won't be very good because even films which did INSANELY crappy at the box office were able to stir up more interest with the trailers. I can think of many instances where the trailer was better than the actual film, if your trailer can't even make the film look good, then clearly you have little to show.

This too is a fair point, but I don't believe it is true for everything. Batman v. Superman for example. Wasn't the trailer well received, and the movie ended up being poor? The box office for that still managed to surpass production costs, most likely because of the big superhero names. There are people out there that thought it was a great movie. Maybe I'm thinking too broad on this and should say that I enjoyed the BvS trailer, and thought the movie fell flat.

This too is a fair point, but I don't believe it is true for everything. Batman v. Superman for example. Wasn't the trailer well received, and the movie ended up being poor?

Oh yeah, but that's more of an example of a good trailer to hide a bad product. A bad trailer has no really "advantage" to the film creators. Showing the film in a bad light is never advantageous to the creator. It's a matter of it doesn't work in reverse. A good trailer can hide a bad film, but a bad trailer is not going to be made purposefully to try and convince people a good film is bad, because what's the point?

Is there the possibility that the trailer was just badly made? Possible, but the instances of that happening in the past are very low so it's MORE LIKELY that the film just doesn't have a lot to show.

Well then. Needless to say I had several expectations of this film to achieve a remarkable magnitude of debate, although they've been exceeded and manifested in even ubiquitous manners.

First of all, it should be acknowledge by us all that this movie is definitely, irrefutably, undeniably going to be one of the most excruciating gashes on the recent cinema world of well-known trademarks. As the trailer unluckily disclosed upon us, it's sustained by an anachronistic, fatuous, 90'sh ramification of 'humor' that with futile efforts attempts to tug the 'funny switch' of a global audience that allegedly has grown sick and tired of such obnoxious intentions of comedy. The antiquity of hyperboles of both expression and action; mainstream roles that have been not only recycled, but literally taken out of the trash bin in the most offensive and classifiable portrayals I've seen since some of the jimmy rustlers that arose two decades ago.

As for the cast, I'm not truly unnerved by the choice on itself. Albeit, it does unstring me quite a bit if the characters unwrap in manners redundant or even ignominous. A certain grade of concern does arise within when I witness the typical, even ancient 'black gal who screams a lot n' stupeid n' shiet', or the 'I LICK MUH GUN BEGGUZ PAENUS RIGHT? LIEK ME U HANDSUM BOYZ' and all in all that sort of such plainly unrealistic and absurd excuses of characters and scenes.

From the start I very well knew that there was going to be a response from the producers of the film; rarely you'll receive such a groundbreakingly detrimental response from the very beginning after all. But such a blithering, conspicuous retort; riddled with the irascible performance reflected only by that of a child on the middle of a hissy fit. Disgusting, and hopefully it will result counter-productive for this cluster of goons.

Truthfully, I wasn't planning to go see this sin of a film anyways. Hell if I change my opinion now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then. Needless to say I had several expectations of this film to achieve a remarkable magnitude of debate, although they've been exceeded and manifested in even ubiquitous manners.

First of all, it should be acknowledge by us all that this movie is definitely, irrefutably, undeniably going to be one of the most excruciating gashes on the recent cinema world of well-known trademarks. As the trailer unluckily disclosed upon us, it's sustained by an anachronistic, fatuous, 90'sh ramification of 'humor' that with futile efforts attempts to tug the 'funny switch' of a global audience that allegedly has grown sick and tired of such obnoxious intentions of comedy. The antiquity of hyperboles of both expression and action; mainstream roles that have been not only recycled, but literally taken out of the trash bin in the most offensive and classifiable portrayals I've seen since some of the jimmy rustlers that arose two decades ago.

The precedence they could set for PR in movies alone should be more than enough to avoid this movie all together. If this thing is allowed to succeed, more films riding the coat tails of some brow beating judgmental movement are going to come down the pike and shove themselves down our throats. The movie looks bad, but its the PR at this point that has got me against it entirely. No matter how bad the film is, if it is successful in the box office, its going to spawn more films seeking to shame you into some twisted sense of social obligation to just see a movie. 

• 2 months later...

Finally saw the new Ghostbusters movie last night. Loved every second of it. Nice rework while paying beautiful homage to the original, especially with the cameos. No regrets seeing this film whatsoever. Will be buying it on DVD. Hoping for a sequel!

Wow. This... this is just... the worst. Y'know, I had no plans on seeing the movie. I saw the trailer in a live theater, and I literally gagged aloud in the audience. It was the most horrendous thing I'd ever seen... and now we have this. 

I don't have anything against women; don't get me wrong. I wouldn't avoid a movie because it stars a female role. To me, people are just people. Simple minded individuals who apparently can't live without making a fuss about who goes to see who. Everything about this is just stupid. Feminists are pretty cringy, I will say. Maybe not all, but most of them overreact to the stupidest things and it really ticks me off. It's like... they want us to look at them while not looking at them. What's up with that? It's like they want to be treated equal, by not treating others in the same manner.

As for boycotting the movie, I'll probably watch it in a month or so online for free. If they can't respect the people who built the legacy, they don't deserve taking part in it. 

I guess this is the life I've been forced to take part of. 

• 1 year later...