Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Am I in the minority here? (Hearth's Warming Tail)

Silver Stream.

(edited)

After watching many reaction videos to episode 8, I noticed how people nitpicked that we were getting a Christmas episode in may and how the episode wasn't creative because it was a Christmas Carol/The Grinch ripoff. (in the comments at least, the youtubers were really chill) In fact, it seems as though those who did enjoy the episode, only enjoyed it because of the the Luna and Starlight songs.

But personally, I think it was an amazing episode. I don't think it's fair to demand holiday episodes to air near or on that exact holiday all the time since we don't know the reason behind it. (at least I don't). So what a Christmas episode aired so far away from the actual date? And surprisingly enough, I find this Hearth's Warming episode the best out of all the others; Hearthbreakers a close second. I also favor this episode as the best musical episode too:

- Catchy song for an intro

- F*cking bravo to Starlight for that entertaining number

- Seeds of the fast is a very meaningful song many people need to listen to. Lyrics spoke the truth 

- Pinkie pie you done it again! I love upbeat songs with a swingin' tune!

- Luna (I'm sure many would agree) sung beautifully and the instrumental gave her song a very haunting, bone-chilling vibe that made me smile 

- Sweet/cheery reprise 

Unlike other musical episodes, it didn't feel too rushed or crammed. Each number flowed to the next while keeping the story going along.

And I think the episode was creative despite the heavy influence of two Christmas classics and the similar plotline. They found a way to mash the classics and Starlight's cutie mark issue all over again. Most people. including me, figured she was some twisted villain with evil motives when she was actually a twisted confused pony making drastic decisions she felt were needed to be done to make Equestria a better place. And this was basically the same for Snowfall.

Also...I honestly don't see why people think the lesson in this episode was to guilt-trip and brainwash your friends into into enjoying a holiday they don't care for? I thought that sort of thing was addressed in Season 5: Scaremaster (An episode I will forever applaud). Twilight simply shared a classic to Starlight so she'd understand that Hearth's Warming goes beyond upholding a tradition and clinging to a myth, and don't let your lack of belief on some story make you believe a certain holiday is a waste of everyone's time. In the end, Twilight did give her a choice right? 

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 9

I don't think you're in the minority at all. I've seen overwhelming positivity for the episode, with only a few detractors. I personally really liked it. And I don't think that the complaints about it being in May are directed at the episode, but rather the scheduling.

• Brohoof 6

I've mostly seen a lot of positivity too, looking here and in Reddit and on reactions in Youtube, I've seen most fans adoring the episode in general, I myself love it to death, it's in my (Ridiculously long) favorites list.

That said, the people who don't like the episode have been pretty vocal about how much they dislike it, as they usually are, so that can make the reception seem a bit more negative than it is.

Most people who nitpicked that the episode premiered in May, myself included, mainly did it tongue-in-cheek to basically say how good of an episode it was, that nothing else needed to be said against it. That's on Discovery Family, not the show itself.

• Brohoof 3

The complaints about another "Christmas Carol" is probably due to the large number of adaptations or allusions to that story. I'd say the episode distinguishes itself enough, especially with the Spirits of Christmas Hearth's Warming Eve, and especially PInkie Pie whose role was too appropriate.

As for the air date, who says you can't celebrate Christmas outside of December 25?

• Brohoof 1

Didn't really look if there was much criticism for that episode, but didn't really feel like many had any real criticisms or plain negative remarks about that episode.

Knew it was going to be a musical and that it was going to be the pony version of a 'Christmas Carol' so didn't exactly have any expectations. Pacing was good, in general, the episodes more focused on a musical approach give breathing room for the music to be better paced in the episode (though I feel the quality of the plots vary, but that's not the main focus anyways).

So overall, good episode. Didn't think anyone would really be acting up over it and probably most would feel it was a good episode.

The May thing was my only complaint, and I admitted it was a minor nitpick. And that's to do with the scheduling, not a flaw of the ep itself, which was perfect. Definitely one of the best episodes of the entire show.

Welcome to the interwebz, where the vocal minority gets a disproportionate amount of attention... it was a fine episode. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
No, you are not in the minority at all, for what i see many people love this episode.

As for me, i think this episode is the best of the season so far.

I find the air date a little strange, but i don't mind it at all.

I also don't see any a problems with the whole "Christmas Carol/The Grinch with ponies" thing that many people hate about this episode, claimed that the episode is unoriginal because of it, so what if the episode is expired in this two stories? they are both classics christmas stories that everyone most have heard at least once.

As for the musics, well, i guess everyone has their own taste in musics, but claim that the episode sucks because you didn't like the musics is kinda ridiculous.

Edited by Joyce

Your not in the minority when it comes to liking this episode.

From what I have gathered, I have seen almost nothing but positive things when it comes to people talking about A Hearth's Warming Tail.

Christmas Carol/Grinch clone was boring. I guess some of the songs were okay, but apart from that, it wasn't engaging. You knew exactly what was going to happen, and it just made the whole thing boring.

The youtube comment section Bronies are a notoriously negative bunch. You'll find that they aren't the majority when it comes to brony opinion, rather a vocal minority on a specific site. 

• Brohoof 1

The youtube comment section is a notoriously negative bunch. 

Fixed your post. No need to be redundant. :P

To seriously answer, I loved it, but I am very very partial towards A Christmas Carol.

Nah, the reception for this episode was mostly positive.

I mentioned in the discussion thread for this episode that the only flaw was that this episode aired in May. That was mostly a joke, because that's not really a good objective critique because it's not the episode's fault for when it airs.

The writer could've made this expecting a November or December release. Maybe they thought the hiatus between seasons 5 and 6 would be longer than it really was. You put the blame on who schedules these things, not the actual episode.

The other complaints I've seen for it are either nitpicks ("THIS EPISODE JUST RETELLS A CHRISTMAS CAROL!" So did a lot of cartoons). Or just made no sense ("TWILIGHT FORCED STARLIGHT TO CELEBRATE THE HOLIDAY!" No, she gave her the choice).

Fixed your post. No need to be redundant. :P

To seriously answer, I loved it, but I am very very partial towards A Christmas Carol.

Lol yeah you have a point on that one. I love youtube but it is very negative at times in general. 

• Brohoof 1

The writer could've made this expecting a November or December release. Maybe they thought the hiatus between seasons 5 and 6 would be longer than it really was. You put the blame on who schedules these things, not the actual episode.

Thinking of the scheduling for this episode: based on watching a panel with Jim Miller at Ponycon NYC: he said that they (DHX) make the episodes with a general order, give them to Hasbro, and Hasbro and Discovery Family do the actual episode scheduling...so it's possible they wanted it later and Hasbro just slid it in now for whatever reason.

Also maybe they knew Newbie Dash would be controversial and would need a couple of strong episodes right afterwards to make up for it.  

The first time I watched it I didn't enjoy it because I didn't understand what the point was. Celebrate holidays or your homeland will freeze? But I've watched it again and was able to enjoy it, the songs really help. Though still not sure what the message is...

@@Silver Stream.,

Bravo! I completely agree with you. It was a brilliant episode, fun and just downright a good story. I love anything that pulls off some sort of Christmas Carol theme. (It's my favorite story!)

I liked the idea of Starlight realizing that she can still be different and enjoy the holiday the way that she wants to. There was never any pressure to celebrate for either Starlight or Snowfall. She was simply shown her past, and we understood why she loathed Hearths Warming Eve. She got to see the present and watch as her acquaintances spent the evening with the people they cared about. Then she saw what might happen if she were to cast the spell. 

Just like the original Christmas Carol taught a lesson of being kind and forgiving your past, this one did as well. That was the whole point, we saw in previous episodes how horrible she felt about taking the cutie marks from the village ponies. She was so desperate to have other ponies forget and forgive her for her past she lost sight of trying to forgive herself for her past. 

I thought it was a very well put together episode. And who cares if it's in May, heck... I listen to Christmas Songs all year long. 

I absolutely loved it! I thought it was well written and the songs were... oh my goodness they were AMAZING. I had no idea Starlight could sing so well. :o