Your opinion on the episode.  

249 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope, I hated it!
    • I didn't care for it.
    • The meh is strong with this one.
    • I liked it! *squee*
    • I REALLY LOVED IT!!! <3

Well, finally a Fluttershy episode! As my fave of the 6, I remember the previous episodes with her and I can compare this one to them. Season 5's 'Make new friends but keep Discord' is imo  the best from all episodes that followed and this one, then 'Scare Master' was also probably better too. 'The Hoofields and McColts' was maybe equal.

This episode was not bad at all, even for a relationship episode was great, I loved it even though my position may be may be biased since it is Flutter's ep and also I can relate myself to some things a lot! I liked seeing the parents of Fluttershy, they looked like nice parents, perhaps ones that anyone would like to have? Calm, agreeable, just good. I love the place with these rainbows, such a nice house.

post-37448-0-45271000-1465074399_thumb.jpg

And I love the cloud and rainbows stairways  :squee:

post-37448-0-41554700-1465074401_thumb.jpg

As for Fluttershy's brother, Zephyr Breeze, except for the cockiness and arrogance and being a slacker, I have so much in common with that personality. The fear of failure has made me unable to find myself, my job, my purpose afraid to try things, unsure whether I would like or not, just trying many different things, messy life, even late education choice because of the same. This episode is just made for such like me, how could I not take it personal. If I got the morale right, keep trying, show no fear, and you will succeed eventually even if you fail at first. Still, did the brother even know what he wanted to do eventually? We saw him choosing to be a .. hair dresser then he became a mane therapist and graduated from therapy school, well... if only things could get in place as they did for him.

This is the way to Not get a female, as he was trying with RD.

This episode did not touch me too much or depress me but I liked they featured it, thanks Hasbro. It was good and I do not nitpick for some small things, I think it was well presented.

• Brohoof 3

How sad is it that Spike, a BABY dragon, is more mature and has a stronger work ethic than Zephyr?

This episode may have inadvertently given Spike some character development. It seems like Spike doesn't just do the cleaning because it makes Twilight happy, he does it because he really likes cleaning! Look at how into cleaning the windows he was, until he realized he was tricked.

I just hope in one of the remaining two Spike episodes this season, we learn he has more of a life's ambition than simply tidying up after ponies...  :huh:

If they wanted Zephyr Breeze to be unlikable, they did a good job of it. The episode wasn't anything to write home about but he's easily the candidate for worst pony.

As far as unlikeability goes, he's tied right now with Suri Polomare. Like I said in another thread with her, I actually love hating on her. Same goes for Zephyr. I kinda want Rainbow Dash to tie him to some stakes on the ground (he'll probably think it's something kinky, lol) and do her nuclear barn-destroying dive on him to get him to stop hitting on her in such a skeevy way.

Zephyr and Trenderhoof should start a club.

Oh - ohohoh. For me, Zephyr makes Trenderhoof look like Shining Armor in comparison! Trenderhoof was also a diva, but he at least was a good writer and his flirting with Applejack didn't approach the same levels of creepiness as Zephyr's hitting on Rainbow did. Touching her hooves every chance he got, making it seem like she was the one hitting on him. Trenderhoof was just lovestruck and once AJ and Rarity straightened him out, he let up and moved on.

But really, you're right - they should start a club. And they can invite Suri to join too so they can all make each other miserable for the rest of their lives.  :sneer:

SERIOUSLY! Zephyr didn't try and fail. He didn't attempt to try at all! When he was in Mothershy and Fathershy's house, he destroyed property just to suit his needs. When he was given even the simplest tasks, he tried whatever he can to get himself out of it! Why? Not because he feared failure. Because he's damn lazy! These tasks are so simple in Equestrian standards, Snips and Snails can do them. Instead, he manipulated the animals and Spike and then quit on Dash! He's a stereotypical freeloader AND diva!

I agree with you on his being a freeloader and diva, though my takeaway from his hemming and hawing at a lot of these tasks was he was too afraid to even try them because starting them and not finishing would be the same as failure - which he already just experienced with the mane cutter's job. So feeling that kind of failure might have been the thing to keep him from even attempting to do the odd jobs Fluttershy was giving him.

I admit, though, how can you have a fear of failing to clean windows? Like you said, Snips and Snails seem more capable than he is.  :P

Speaking of which, how many ponies now have had to deal with fear of failure? Twilight. Diamond Tiara, and now Zephyr. Seems like I'm forgetting somepony, though. "Fear of failure" seems like a major recurring theme in this show.

• Brohoof 1

This episode may have inadvertently given Spike some character development. It seems like Spike doesn't just do the cleaning because it makes Twilight happy, he does it because he really likes cleaning! Look at how into cleaning the windows he was, until he realized he was tricked.

I just hope in one of the remaining two Spike episodes this season, we learn he has more of a life's ambition than simply tidying up after ponies...  :huh:

I said this before, but maybe Spike realizes his purpose in life is to assist anyone who needs it, not just Twilight and her friends. 

• Brohoof 1

...Well there's clearly some unnecessary hatred here. What I think people are not understanding is that people like Zephyr do exist in real life and that he's not a model for every young adult who doesn't have a job. He's supposed to be an anti-model, someone you don't want to be. You're not supposed to like him before you see what he would be like on his own and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash convince him to change his ways. If he wasn't someone who needed to change, the episode wouldn't work.

If you have a problem with this episode not doing much for you in the way of humor, that's another story. I personally just thought that it was alright. But I hate when these fads of "LET'S HATE THIS CHARACTER WHO ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKABLE" show up. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Who is Link?

I don't know if you're serious or not, but just in case, long story short, this kid:

Minish.Link.full.175523.jpg

He's the main character of the The Legend Of Zelda videogames

Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind
  • Brohoof 2

Griffon thug starts marking the rug: Ever thus to deadbeats, Breeze.

Yeah, this isn’t a mythic beast who built the railroads here.

Another one of those not bad episodes regurgitated from some bygone early season. It’s good to see Fluttershy finally putting everything she’s learned into practice. It’s kinda sad that her brother is such a visually unpleasant throwaway character created solely for this episode’s plot. I was hoping for a redeemable fluttering heap of freeloading anxiety that shares at least some similarities with his cute sister, but what we got was a random bum with job aversion who would feel right at home on the Ponyville’s bowling alley. Now go ahead: explain how a show meant to entertain children and sell toys has #1 priority to make characters that agree with your convictions about real life's intricate social perils. I’m ready for the third round.

...Well there's clearly some unnecessary hatred here. What I think people are not understanding is that people like Zephyr do exist in real life and that he's not a model for every young adult who doesn't have a job. He's supposed to be an anti-model, someone you don't want to be. You're not supposed to like him before you see what he would be like on his own and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash convince him to change his ways. If he wasn't someone who needed to change, the episode wouldn't work.

If you have a problem with this episode not doing much for you in the way of humor, that's another story. I personally just thought that it was alright. But I hate when these fads of "LET'S HATE THIS CHARACTER WHO ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKABLE" show up.

Not only is it something that many of the audience can relate to (hell for a year, I lived with my sister, desperate to get a job in my field, I was mostly unsuccessful, but after two years I finally got a job at the HQ of one of the biggest tech companies in the world), but making the character so unlikeable makes the moral hit not as hard. If Zephyr had been shown to be way more pathetic, then I think it would have been a more uplifting episode even if it was depressing.

• Brohoof 6

This is the way to Not get a female, as he was trying with RD.

Exactly. He was missing the sunglasses. It would have worked otherwise.  B)  

I just hope in one of the remaining two Spike episodes this season, we learn he has more of a life's ambition than simply tidying up after ponies... 

It would be interesting indeed. I'd like to see him get into some kind of epic dragon magic.  :D

I said this before, but maybe Spike realizes his purpose in life is to assist anyone who needs it, not just Twilight and her friends. 

Maybe. I wouldn't have any issue with that. It sounds kind of like what the CMC do.  :catface:

Speaking of which, how many ponies now have had to deal with fear of failure? Twilight. Diamond Tiara, and now Zephyr. Seems like I'm forgetting somepony, though. "Fear of failure" seems like a major recurring theme in this show.

Well it's certainly justified. Fear of failure exists to different degrees in everyone's life. In fact, you might say that it's what prevents people from addressing issues and making changes to the very things that shape their lives - from diet to exercise to simple discussion. Learning to face fear and cope with failure are two of the most important things to learn in life, in my opinion. :adorkable:  

• Brohoof 4

The whole 'throw yourself at a brick wall until a pizza comes out' thing is a tad tiring to say the least, but it is also immensely conflicting with one huge aspect of the show: The Cutie Mark Crusaders. What did the CMC's do the whole time before they got their Cutie Marks? They kept trying TONS of random things, usually just once, and then giving up when that thing does not work and they move on to something else. The moral of this episode? Don't give up on this thing because you fail once or even multiple times, keep doing it. I sense some hardcore confliction here.

Hey there, Kyo! Love that avatar and sig~!  :D

Yeah, there is kind of a problem here. Does one keep at one thing until they get good at it or do many things until they find something they are good at? Personally, I believe everyone (majority based on commonly shared biological characteristics) is equally capable of all skills. Aptitude is based on early childhood teaching and environmental factors. So neither approach is necessarily wrong. I suggest people try many different things to find what interests them most and then focus on that regardless if they are initially good or not. There are several things I really enjoy that I was not good at initially but got good over time because of practice.  :squee:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I tried really hard to empathize with this new guy. But I just can't. Since I have no plans for myself after high school, my parents have offered to buy a small house for my brother and I to rent when we move out.

That's not exactly the same as what Fluttershy's parents did, but if I did anything close to what Zephyr did, I would die from shame. I'm not even that close to my dad.

But if I DESTROYED cherished belongings of his (his shot glass collection, or gifts from his army buddies), even on accident, I would never forgive myself.

A freeloader can still be sympathetic.

But if he/she also destroys other people's property willy-nilly and/or emotionally manipulates those very same people into letting him/her off the hook for it... then that's going to be quite difficult as Tartarus, now, isn't it?

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

This episode was less than I expected, sort of. It was boring, it was pushed, though.. It wasn't bad.

I don't really know what to think of this episode, to be honest.

I'm happy to see development in Fluttershy's character and it was fun to see how RD reacted to a stallion openly flirting with her.. Not much to her appreciation, I could tell. Rarity acting up all sassy and upset to the point where she even slammed the door after Zeph was highly entertaining, too.

However, Fluttershy's brother... Nah, I didn't like him much. I liked his man-bun but other than that he was just simply annoying and overdone as a character. Fairly relatable, though, wasn't he?
First he was a selfish, lazy bastard who wouldn't do anything because he simply didn't want to.. At least, that's how I saw it. But then, they turned his character and the plot to him "being afraid of failure", which I really didn't see how it fit in? He just seemed like he just DIDN'T want responsibility, didn't want to work, didn't want to do anything on his own and just live an easy life with his own "style" and "sight" of it all... Then, suddenly... He failed all his life because.. He was "scared" of failing? Doesn't make much sense to me, to be honest. They should have just made that obvious from the start, then.

Not much more to say other than... Meh.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

I just realized...isn't Zephyr Breeze a lot like Sunburst? They are both dudes who are afraid of failure so they don't even bother trying even though they are more talented than they think they are.

I just realized...isn't Zephyr Breeze a lot like Sunburst? They are both dudes who are afraid of failure so they don't even bother trying even though they are more talented than they think they are.

Sunburst was non-annoying, though.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry guys, I'm about eight hours late! But no one keeps track of me anyways, so whatever.

A new ship has arisen. And with this ship, I sense great danger. I can't quite put my finger on the danger (maybe it's just because I don't like Zephyr (couldn't they make this name less complicated to pronounce?), but it's there. Once again, FiM-Fiction will be overflown with new shipfics. ANYWAYS!

I really loved the animation in that episode. Fluttershy "learned" some new expressions, and boy, I love how her behaviour changed since season 1. She wasn't afraid to give some straight talk, and she was downright pissed off (or...peeved, pieved, whatever the word was). That was incredibly funny to look at, and it once again showed me one of the reasons why I love this show so much.

For Zephyr, there isn't much I can say about him. His character is on point from the very second on he appears on screen, and yet, his behaviour is, even though it's predictable, not un-entertaining. A very annoying and unsympathic character, but one we all kinda know and can maybe even relate to (myself totally not included. Not. at. all.).

The plot was at the perfect pace: Not for one second did it feel like it was stuck or missing something. Everything was at the right place at the right time. Perfectly executed, I dare say. And since I can't complain, there isn't much to write.

I was really surprised by the song at the end. I mean, it just started out of literally nowhere, and I don't like when songs start this way. Most songs are predictable. By the way the characters and their surroundings act you can usually say "alrighty, there's a song coming on." But not in that case. Also, the song itself was a very serious case of "meh". Did we really need a song to show us the moral of the episode? Not in my opinion. Heck, it wasn't even catchy to me.

Overall: It was a fun episode with great animation and interesting new characters (even though we saw everything before in other movies and shows). Fluttershy has really developed, and I can't complain. Except for one thing:

If Zephyr hits on Rainbow Dash one more time, he will be removed.

• Brohoof 2

Sunburst was non-annoying, though.

He also tried before giving up and wasn't a jerk about it...in fact, Sunburst was a better example of Zephyr Breeze. It is amazing that not only do we have a plotline done worse in this episode, but it isn't even from a different season.

• Brohoof 2

Wow I feel most people's qualms with Zeph are justified, there is one issue that people have commonly had that I have an issue with: the end. More specifically, Zephyr asking to stay with his parents. I think a lot of people just passed it off as an poor joke on his part or even a lack of effort to change.

Realistically, what other option did he have? We already know he had no home, and as long as he doesn't try to change up the house this time or sit around and do nothing, I don't see a problem.

If he goes back to making zero effort, then sure, send him packing, but as long as he's legitimately trying, and not half-assing it like before, I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to stay.

He actually has a job now, and once he has enough money to purchase a house, then he should definitely move out, but I don't see an issue with that as it is now. It's a legitimate concern he had. Where else would he live? Maybe if it wasn't his family and it was a friend or distant relative, but this is his immediate flesh and blood. I could see it being obnoxious or rude to immediately ask anyone else, but since these were his parents, I don't see as a huge problem.

That being said, I believe a genuine apology would have been in order first, but I don't think it's very pony-like, or even humane, to send him to the streets if he's making an actual effort to make a living for himself.

Would anyone be interested if I attempted to rewrite the plot (based on the synopsis) that is done in a way that doesn't require him to be a jerk and have him be way more interesting?

I'd say go for it, but it's a pretty easy solution. Pretty much what this guy says:

A freeloader can still be sympathetic.

The one thing the episode needed to do was drop the diva persona, property damage, and tendency to weasel out of work. Instead, portray him as someone who is honest and gives 100% effort but is dogged by bad luck, uncertainty, or inferior skills that give him reason to have self-doubt.

The first example that came to mind was the TUGS episode "Jinxed" (an obscure British show about tugboats from the guys that made Thomas the Tank Engine using the same model style, but if you can get past that and pay attention to the stories, it's amazing stuff). I'll give a quick rundown of it to focus on the relevant parts, though. The main character of that episode, Boomer, was similarly saddled with self-doubt (to the point of implied attempted suicide) from an alleged "jinx" that caused accidents wherever he went. While Zephyr avoided work for his own spoiled egotism, Boomer dodged responsibilities because he didn't want others to fall victim to his accidents. However, when assigned a task, he gave 100% effort even if it ended in failure. The episode ends the same way as it does for Zephyr; eventually he does find his calling, but it feels more earned because we know Boomer tried his hardest. Not so for Zephyr because he gave zero effort to any job he was given and did more damage than he attempted to make up for.

The biggest improvement that could be made to Zephyr's character would have been to make him more honest and altruistic. That way, his fear of failure would have felt more natural and Zephyr would have earned that audience sympathy early in the episode.

• Brohoof 4

So Zephyr is a skinny, self-obsessed and artistic guy who has a crush on RD, lives with his parents, lacks self-confidence and is an asshole?

Sounds like a typical brony.

(self-deprecating humour is fun)

Can't wait for all the fanfics where Zephyr will die horrible, slow and painful deaths. I'm sure they'll be very popular.

• Brohoof 5

Once again, FiM-Fiction will be overflown with new shipfics.

We don't need a new episode to spam fimfiction.net with ships. I would know. I'm one of the people writing this sappy drivel.  ^_^

.....but never ZephyrDash. Sorry. I'm on permanent shore leave for this one.  :dash:

He was "scared" of failing? Doesn't make much sense to me, to be honest. They should have just made that obvious from the start, then.

That's why I criticize the way he was portrayed. If they hadn't made him disrespectful and destructive then it would have been far more obvious he had run back to the parents house out of fear and the moral of the story would have felt more natural. Personally, I also think it would have fit the Shy family more if he were a timid character afraid of failure rather than a pushy narcissistic one.  :ooh:

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Finally done with the episode. It was a complete chore to sit through. Fluttershy and Dash were great.  Twilight, Spike, Opal, and Rarity were good in their limited roles. The moral itself about how to stand and confront your fear of failure is very admirable, and I appreciate its mature tone it was trying to relay.

But it screwed up a ton on three major points: Zephyr, the moral, and the "freeloader" implications.

1. Zephyr is a colossal asshole. Stereotypes are one of the show's biggest flaws. Often, when DHX uses them, they're at their own disadvantage, and they RUIN the story, not help it. The only time season six handled a stereotype well was when cartoon shenanigans made a mockery out of Garble; the jokes worked because he deserved them. The stereotypes killed the episode here. Zephyr is a combination of two classic stereotypes: the diva and the freeloader. A diva because he was flamboyant to the point of over-the-top, selfish, and manipulative. As the episode progressed, Zephyr became more and more insufferable. Him not shutting up is a problem already. But when he knowingly destroyed his parents' cloud collection and flowers and not even give a damn, Zeph turned into one of the most hateable characters of the show. I don't give one shit how he "made up" at the end. You don't have the right to destroy anyone's property, prized or not! If he truly cared about his family, he wouldn't dare attempt this garbage!

But in Act 2, he gets worse. When assigned jobs by Fluttershy and her friends, does Zephyr even bother trying to get any work done? No. And keep in mind, these jobs are very simple in Equestrian standards; any competent pony can accomplish these goals. Zephyr is completely capable of cleaning the windows, dying the cloth, and kicking the clouds. Instead, what does he do? Weasel his lazy ass into duping others to do his work while he watches. When he was threatened if he tried to weasel his way out, he quit! And the episode's telling me he feels completely incapable of doing them? Give me a break!
  2. The moral is fantastic and is something all of us feel and experience. One of our biggest fears, if not the biggest, is failure. No one wants to fail. And it can be very devastating when we fail. I don't wish it upon anyone.

But FB executes the fear of failure so poorly, because everything that happens up to this point completely contradicts it. Zephyr behaved so terribly to his family, periodically returns to his house to freeload, intentionally destroyed his parents' sentimental possessions, and didn't bother trying to work on the simplests of tasks. He claimed that he was struggling in mane therapy because he feared he'll fail, but given his lackadaisical arrogance throughout the first two acts, then that's not fear of failure. That's laziness.

So when the episode rushes in the idea that by trying and succeeds in the face of his fears, his triumph lacks any satisfaction. Instead, it gives me the impression that I'm watching two separate ideas merged into one. Rather than flowing through, the story is a mess.
  3. There are serious implications in the conflict's delivery, which @@PuppyKit pointed out here. Fluttershy mandates that he can stay until he finds a job. But because Zephyr's a freeloader stereotype, the episode paints a false impression that everyone who lives with their parents, friends, or roommates is lazy and and takes everything from their parents because they can. It's a complete lie. Were in an economy where living alone has become more and more expensive. Not everyone can live on their own. Parents and adult kids live together all the time, and in cities where rent can cost so much, sometimes they have to. When the child is disabled, then sometimes they have to live with their parents or live off them, for they can't make a living on their own. One of my closest friends is intellectually disabled and relies on his mom to help him.

To echo @Wind Chaser, if Flutter Brutter didn't pull off such offensive stereotypes and treat the conflict with genuine respect, then Zephyr's fear of failure would feel more genuine. Let's say we see him try and fail and isn't narcissistic. With the efforts, he fails, but each time he fails, it becomes worse to the point where he feels like doing nothing will be more helpful than not helping at all. That way, when he tries and succeeds, then it's rewarding. The TUGS episode handles the fear of failure way better than FB.

It has some highlights, but the bad outweighs the good. Out of all the episodes in this show, Flutter Brutter is personally the most difficult to watch, because I hate Zephyr so damn much. He represents everything I hate about a character and amplifies it. Not even Princess Spike was this difficult.

FIM's supposed to deliver likable characters who we're supposed to root for. Fluttershy is the Mane Eight character here, but this is a Zephyr episode, not Fluttershy episode. How am I supposed to root for him when he's more hateable than villain!Sunset (yet not as hateable as Radiant Hope from IDW's Siege of The Crystal Empire) and doesn't give me any good reason to root for him? In short, a terrible episode.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 10