Your opinion on the episode.  

248 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope, I hated it!
    • I didn't care for it.
    • The meh is strong with this one.
    • I liked it! *squee*
    • I REALLY LOVED IT!!! <3

I LOVE songs! And remixes. When was the last time we had Shy and Dash for a song? The pet episode?  :o

How we deal with family can be worlds different than how we deal with others. Some people can go so far as to seemingly switch personalities entirely. Fluttershy was clearly accustomed to her brother's patterns and knew to be firm. :grin: I personally used to act very differently with friends than I did family, but not so much anymore. 

Maybe not a full song, but they sung a little together in 'A Hearth's Warming Tail'. They were cute together on a cloud.

(edited)

I wish they didn't show Fluttershy's parents. Not knowing them added to the fantasy of the show. When I saw Fluttershy's parents it killed part of the fantasy like when George Lucas tried to explain the force in episode 1.

Edited by RattleSnake

Was pretty ecstatic about this episode, since well, we haven't seen much of Fluttershy this season...and she's my fave.

Finally! After so many seasons of having no idea of what Fluttershy's background is or who her parents were, we finally get to see some of it! So, we actually got to see Fluttershy's family. Honestly, her parents were kinda what I was expecting. Kinda hush hush, quiet ponies, sorta like Fluttershy. Also got to see Fluttershy's little brother, although he wasn't so "little" really..he seemed too.."hipster/hippie" for my taste. I rather liked her parents...her brother? Eh..he got better in the end...Sort of.I mean, he was pretty lazy throughout most the episode, but he did get better and actually tried at things and succeeded.

One issue I had with the episode, rest of the mane 6 seemed to have already "known" Fluttershy's family, yet there's been no mention of it at all until today's episode, that kinda bothered me.I mean, AJ's talked about her family a lot as has Pinkie Pie and Twilight. Nor has Fluttershy ever mentioned them in previous episodes.

Seeing quite a bit of Flutterdash is also a huge plus for me in this episode. Although Fluttershy's parents and her brother seemed to of thunk that Dashie had a crush on Zephyr, for whatever reason....which Dashie was quick to dismiss/ignore usually as she obviously had no interest in him. I think this also reinforces Flutters and Dashie's own relationship between each other.

Fluttershy herself in this episode was pretty great, I mean we saw her use everything she's learned in the past seasons in this one episode and I applaud her for that, well done my dear, well done. Fantastic portrayal of her in this episode. We also got to see a side of her we don't usually get to see a "peeved/pissed off" side of her. Good to see that side of her every now and then. It shows that she's not a push over anymore and can get annoyed and even angry because of certain things.

I really hope Shy's family stick around for future episodes, like how we've seen Maud Pie in other episodes. I also hope in such episodes, we learn more about them. I mean, as is we've learned a lot more but there's always more to know.

Overall I rate this episode 12/10 because this episode added so much to Fluttershy's character. We seen her parents and brother, and is officially my fave episode this season, thus far.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the episode very much and picked it out as your favorite for this season so far.

(edited)

I can't go through and catalog everything that Zephyr does to make the audience hate him - from taking advantage of his parents' kindness and meekness to his slimy and creepy "flirting" with Rainbow Dash

I think if there's something that did bug me about the episode itself is that it never gave Rainbow Dash a chance to tell him "no." Just about every time she tries, she's either in too much shock to respond or someone interrupts her. The only time she does is the time you mentioned where she kicks him off the couch.

But for the most part it's frustrating to see Rainbow effectively silenced in dealing with what amounts to sexual harassment. It's times like this where I wish the show wasn't Y-7 because I very much wanted to see her give him a swift kick with both hooves to his nuts and exclaim, "Sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Shy - you won't be getting any grandfoals from your son!"

:sneer:

And that's perfectly natural. *pets* :orly: But we did get a cool new word for this episode. "Peeved." Just be sure not to use it in the presence of young foals. :please:

I wonder if other uses of the word "peeve" are also considered swear words, like "pet peeve" and "feeling peevish"? :)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

This might sound strange. I really liked the episode, but I hope that Zephyr suffers the same fate as Snips and Snails. Has anyone else noticed that they've ceased to exist? 

(THANK GOD!)

Anyway, seeing that Fluttershy has really nice parents, but an abusive user of a worthless dirtbag of a brother was really painful. I spent the whole episode wishing and hoping that Rainbow would hoof him right in the face and break his snoot.

What they showed went far beyond thoughtlessness for him. Zephyr was INTENTIONALLY destroying his father's prized collection that he worked on for decades. He worked on it while his kids were growing up. There was no way Zephyr didn't know how important it was to him. He just didn't give a flying feather, and went about destroying it so he could take over the building housing it.  That was nasty, cruel, AND a criminal act of destruction. Fluttershy should have called the police on him for that.  His character has absolutely NO redeeming values. Even at the end, it showed him getting ready to get right back to mooching off of his parents. This is the honest truth. I actually got the distinct feeling that he was lying when he said he graduated. The flow of the scene made it feel more like he had failed, and was desperately trying to make sure he had a place to crash before his parents and sister found out.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

This might sound strange. I really liked the episode, but I hope that Zephyr suffers the same fate as Snips and Snails. Has anyone else noticed that they've ceased to exist? 

(THANK GOD!)

They were seen in the bleachers multiple times (coincidentally) in the other David Rapp episode, "Newbie Dash." I was surprised to see them there since you're right that they've been MIA (aside from the title photo) from this season until then.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They were seen in the bleachers multiple times (coincidentally) in the other David Rapp episode, "Newbie Dash." I was surprised to see them there since you're right that they've been MIA (aside from the title photo) from this season until then.

I'll have to rewatch and look for them. I didn't notice those two the first time I watched. I actually may not rewatch, as I flatly didn't like that episode.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I really liked this episode. It kinda showed us that Flutter is not as pushovery as before (especially when it comes to those that she loves). She obviously loves her brother and believes in him but she knows that he's not applying himself and therefore shows him some tough love.

This episode struck a chord because of my own circumstances. If only I'd been as courageous as Flutter.........

Anyways. Great episode. :)

Now it's time to play "What's YOUR headcanon?" Todays topic is "Who's that pony with Dinky?!" :P

lz9sTzf.png

Seriously though.. Everypony is saying "Oh no! Dinky isn't Derpy's daughter?!" when we really don't know WHO that pony is.. perhaps an Aunt? or a Foal Sitter?
It does make you question things though.. like if Dinky is actually Derpy's little sister rather than her daughter? :huh:

In any case, I like this as it gives opportunity for debate whilst also leaving it open and not confirming anything.. Those who don't like the fact that it might be her mother can

live with their notion that it's actually her Aunt, Cousin or something :P Whilst those who are accepting of the Mother thing can still believe that without being dis-proven :D

The main thing I didn't like about the episode: In the last five or so minutes, Zephyr Breeze went from being a manipulative douchebag to being responsible enough to graduate. They should have spent more time on him learning responsibility and shown fewer of his failed jobs.

Other than that, it's nice to see that Fluttershy learned her lesson from the Breezie incident. :squee:

Great episode this week.

Zephyr Breeze has a pretty redundant name. Zephyr means a slight breeze, so his name turns out to be "Slight breeze breeze". Pretty dumb.

Fluttershys parents were interesting, her dad is this male that's clearly low on the dominance hierarchy, and his wife is too low on the selection of attractive females. This is great characterization because it works very cohesively with Fluttershy and Zephyr. We have a daughter and a son who are dealing with moderate personality issues, social neurosis and grandiose narcissism. Both of these characteristics are too not very desirable, and I'd imagine that due to the lack of parents who never conveyed any reasonable level of discipline due to a lack of self-esteem and backbone could result in these sort of problems. The beta parents have messed up kids, A+.

Zephyr himself was characterized beautifully, rather than explain his character through expositional dialogue, similar to Shinning Armour, we're shown his character through his actions throughout the episode. Fluttershys friends also have had a past with him, which helps to flesh out the believably of his sudden introduction. Say what you want about his personality, I found it to be quite funny and entertaining, while also being extremely frustrating, which I think was the point. I say this because by the scene with him in the forest, succumbing to his own frustration with himself, his delusions crumbling, he finally reaches rock bottom and reveals to the world what he truly feels about himself, he's a failure who can't do anything right. Quite the cathartic moment, and without the audience scorning his ridiculous behavior beforehand, this scene would have been far less poignant. Not too shabby.

The song works well to complete Zephyrs arc, also very cathartic when paired with the dramatic swells of the final chorus, and too through action shows him come full circle and finally prove to himself that he can complete a task if he really tries. The heel turn isn't so sudden and jarring that he loses his previous characterization, but not so slow as to remove confidence that he is making positive changes, as showcased through the final scene when he graduates from mane styling or whatever it was.

Fluttershy's character remains consistent and is further affirmed. She stands up to her brothers bullshit and even passes on advice she learned previously to her parents. There is a second moral, which is to not enable peoples manipulative behavior so that they can help themselves. Rainbow and Fluttershy's interaction has clearly evolved since hurricane Fluttershy, as Flutters is now on more even ground with Rainbow, which might show less of an interesting juxtaposition, but again, more affirmation of growth. I'll take it. 

Gags hit constantly for me, the flirting thing was gold, especially the final punchline when Fluttershys parents reveal that they too believe that Rainbow was pinning for Zephyr. I had to look up the word, never even heard it before. 10/10. I liked how Zephyr refers to rainbow dash and 'Rainbows", and this like very middle class art student sort of hipster characterization, very unique kind of character for this show, a lot of effort was put into his dialogue to make him stand out. 

Aside from this, nice little touches include Zephyr and his father sharing a similar coat color, and Fluttershy and Fluttershy's mother sharing a similar coat color, all of the pictures where Zephyr is photobombing to be the center of attention littered around the house,  and Fluttershy doing the deep breathing thing to calm down.  .

Don't really have a whole lot to criticize, I suppose Rainbow referring to Fluttershy's parents as "Mr. and Mrs. Shy" was a bit weird and confusing. Last names are usually separated from a first name, so then is Fluttershy's name actually Flutter Shy? That's not how Hasbro markets the character. Then is Rainbow Dash just retarded? Or maybe her full name is Fluttershy Shy? That's pretty dumb, I hope not. Is Zephyrs last name Shy as well, so is his name Zephyr Breeze Shy? Whatever, can't expect Josh to get every little thing.

Pretty good/10, would go for a hot dinner at Applebees with Rainbow Dash.

Pretty impressive review. Glad you enjoyed the episode very much.

I cannot believe how serious Fluttershy was through the entire episode. The moment she saw him she was all, Angry I hate you mode all the time, you could really tell how much she really disliked her brother. 

Now it's time to play "What's YOUR headcanon?" Todays topic is "Who's that pony with Dinky?!" :P

sig-4553089.lz9sTzf.png

Seriously though.. Everypony is saying "Oh no! Dinky isn't Derpy's daughter?!" when we really don't know WHO that pony is.. perhaps an Aunt? or a Foal Sitter?
It does make you question things though.. like if Dinky is actually Derpy's little sister rather than her daughter? :huh:

In any case, I like this as it gives opportunity for debate whilst also leaving it open and not confirming anything.. Those who don't like the fact that it might be her mother can

live with their notion that it's actually her Aunt, Cousin or something :P Whilst those who are accepting of the Mother thing can still believe that without being dis-proven :D

I was confused as to why "peeved" was considered a curse word, but I think she is his mother. 

Seriously though.. Everypony is saying "Oh no! Dinky isn't Derpy's daughter?!"

I never really liked the idea of Dinky being Derpy's daughter in the first place because I feel like Derpy is too much of an innocent to go sleeping around and getting pregnant.

Hmmm, maybe this should probably be a separate topic since it is only tangentially related to the episode?

Originally I said that i didn't like her parents. (on teaser thread) but I lied. They are frickin adorable.

I loved this episode. The expressions, concept, all of it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

How sad is it that Spike, a BABY dragon, is more mature and has a stronger work ethic than Zephyr?

And yet, such cases do exist in our lives even though not babies but definitely younger ones towards older ones.

Most people are not such dicks like him. His personality was so over the top that it made me absolutely hate him, all the way to the end and nothing changed. Like yeah, he is an asshole. I am not convinced of anything else. Oh, he accomplished something? Pretty sure he is still an asshole. So the moral really loses me.

And yet - such personalities exist. I can think of one on my first job, I had to tell my supervisor like - 'do something about his behavior?!'  not much better than Zephyr, maybe he had similar background to Zephyr's.

The second he started destroying Fathershy’s cloud collection, I would’ve loved seeing Fluttershy actually YELL at him. And I mean SCREECH at him. He deserved it!

Jesus Christ, I'm having a touch time watching this episode! He's a character I really hate!

This would have been quite in place

Can I Ask a question? So Fluttershy never had an abusive childhood? Did her parents then? They are equally as shy as her. And I think they had an abusive childhood. So now it's Fluttershy's Grandparents I'm wondering about. I still have this headcanon that her parents were abused.

Does being abused make you shy? if anything I think violence inside a family makes you as aggressive as those who did the same to you, not shy, unless you were an observant of that violence and it made you close yourself in your own world. Even history has had world leaders who had such background and became violent in their methods of ruling. Also shyness may be coming more from personality and unable to cope well socially, not with daddy's heavy hand.

----

And yeah seeing Fluttershy really use all she's learnt so far from the seasons, nice development of her character. I too like a more daring Fluttershy On a side note, the destructive criticism I read about Zephyr here makes me chuckle, but I understand it. 

Edited by ImpctR

I really liked that Fluttershy was the one helping another pony overcome their fears. It was a refreshing change of pace for her.

Sure was. I'm proud of Fluttershy for helping her little brother get over his fear of failure.

You know, I've thought about something with this episode.

I've seen some people say they like how Fluttershy was strong, and how this episode showed character development of how Fluttershy's gotten tougher and wiser from saving Equestria a dozen times, and from events like Dragonshy, It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, and Putting Your Hoof Down.  There've been a lot of episodes where that kind of character development didn't stick (like Magic Duel), where she was a terrified, shrinking violet all over again as if those episodes hadn't happened.

Now, I also how this episode showed how FS has developed over the last several seasons---but after thinking about it, I've realized that it's when Fluttershy is acting all terrified and bashful that she's at her cutest.  Maybe that's why the writers had her acting like she hadn't gotten that character development in some of those other episodes; I'm not sure---I wish we could have it both ways, with her adorable, and yet also mature and developed, but I don't know whether that's even possible.

Zephyr Breeze may be an obnoxious, narcissistic jerk, but damn, is he hilarious at doing so... Celestia knows what'd happen if he were to meet Discord.

You know, I've thought about something with this episode.

I've seen some people say they like how Fluttershy was strong, and how this episode showed character development of how Fluttershy's gotten tougher and wiser from saving Equestria a dozen times, and from events like Dragonshy, It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, and Putting Your Hoof Down.  There've been a lot of episodes where that kind of character development didn't stick (like Magic Duel), where she was a terrified, shrinking violet all over again as if those episodes hadn't happened.

Now, I also how this episode showed how FS has developed over the last several seasons---but after thinking about it, I've realized that it's when Fluttershy is acting all terrified and bashful that she's at her cutest.  Maybe that's why the writers had her acting like she hadn't gotten that character development in some of those other episodes; I'm not sure---I wish we could have it both ways, with her adorable, and yet also mature and developed, but I don't know whether that's even possible.

I haven't particularly cared about Fluttershy's cuteness in a while, so I'm much happier with her being halfway interesting.