Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Equestria Girls Worth Watching?

OmegaBeamOfficial

The fact that you started out uncertain, rather than excited makes me think that maybe you should just give them a pass.

I've seen all three, and don't consider them required viewing for pony fans.  They don't add a lot besides a few good songs, most of which are in the first movie, and some cute brony in-jokes.  

The whole idea of taking these independent professionals and transplanting them into high school students feels kinda lame.  

If you are dying for more pony stuff while waiting, buy some of the comic books.

Idk, they were decent overall, I can't really recommend them. I was disgusted with the mere idea of humanizing MLP characters and the result looks horrible imo. Nonetheless, I managed to watch all 3 movies and they weren't that bad, drawing style aside...

Yeah, the biggest barrier to entry for me is also the awful humanized style.   

they were decent overall, I can't really recommend them. I was disgusted with the mere idea of humanizing MLP characters and the result looks horrible imo. Nonetheless, I managed to watch all 3 movies and they weren't that bad, drawing style aside...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

To be entirely honest with you all ~ if not the first Equestria Girls Movie, then most likely I'd wouldn't be where I am now.

All the pony curiosity grown up because of that movie.

The very first Equestria Girls movie was and still is the best one in my opinion. I was literally watching this and Rainbow Rocks once/twice a day for more than a week (10+times each in total in less than a month) and I'd still gladly watch them again. I really loved these movies, because they have a value for me, since they started everything, not mentioning enjoyable and catchy songs and such.  :wub:

In my opinion, these movies are getting worse ~ The first one I absolutely love, the second one I also love, though the third one has tons of plot holes and boring things, that made that movie just weird and irrational. It performed worse music-wise as well. Cafeteria Song FTW!  :love:

I love Equestia Girls as much as 'normal' MLP and I'm happily awaiting the 4th Equestria Girls Movie.  :pinkie:

So my answer is: Watch them!! =3 You don't have anything to lose anyway. Opinions are different, some ponies like this, some ponies that, so you'll never receive an accurate answer. You just need to try it yourself!  ^_^

By the way, to this day I don't get the hate these movies are receiving ~ the drawing style is cute and everything looks great, there's nothing I could complain about.

Watching these movies would bring back some memories... 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

I would say give it a shot. I know that I loved all the EG movies to bits and I still do. I have watched every single movie at least 4-5 times a year. 

You won't really know unless you yourself watch it. You yourself are the best judge in what you yourself enjoy ;)

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised you've been able to avoid seeing all 3 movies up until now. While the majority of folks prefer the original FIM series, I have a soft spot for the EQG series. Sure my suspension of disbelief is tested greatly, and there are plot-holes up the wazoo, but at the end of the day, i'm not expecting an Oscar-worthy masterpiece. 

I say give them all a shot and form your own opinion. I may not go back and watch the films as often as I do the TV series, but I definitely listen to the music though. The soundtracks are absolutely amazing  >_>

• Brohoof 2

I was kinda not that excited for the first movie when it was originally coming out, but I was willing to give it a chance anyway, I thought it was decently alright. Then Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games came out and I completely adored them both, and I've even gone back and watched the original a few times and it's grown on me.

They aren't "Masterpieces" and are pretty flawed movies in general, but there's so much I've come to enjoy about them I don't really care that much. I love the songs, I actually have come to like the humanized designs quite a bit, I love Sunset as a character, there's some good jokes, etc. I liked them enough I bought the DVD's.

I'd say to anyone who's even a bit curious...Give them a shot, you might like them. If not, oh well. They have no effects on the main story of MLP, so you can just ignore them.

• Brohoof 1

The Equestria Girls movies are very good, and thanks to them, I have made Sunset Shimmer one of my favorite character alongside the Mane Six and several others, especially after seeing Sunset in her Daydream Shimmer form. So very awesome and amazing!!

• Brohoof 1

The fact that you started out uncertain, rather than excited makes me think that maybe you should just give them a pass.

I've seen all three, and don't consider them required viewing for pony fans.  They don't add a lot besides a few good songs, most of which are in the first movie, and some cute brony in-jokes.  

The whole idea of taking these independent professionals and transplanting them into high school students feels kinda lame.  

If you are dying for more pony stuff while waiting, buy some of the comic books.

Yeah, the biggest barrier to entry for me is also the awful humanized style.   

they were decent overall, I can't really recommend them. I was disgusted with the mere idea of humanizing MLP characters and the result looks horrible imo. Nonetheless, I managed to watch all 3 movies and they weren't that bad, drawing style aside...

I wouldn't really call the ponies professionals rather than just friends with special talents, but I get where you're coming from. Taking adults and putting them in a high school environment can come off a little weird. I am up for new things though, who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, or severely let down.

To be entirely honest with you all ~ if not the first Equestria Girls Movie, then most likely I'd wouldn't be where I am now.

All the pony curiosity grown up because of that movie.

The very first Equestria Girls movie was and still is the best one in my opinion. I was literally watching this and Rainbow Rocks once/twice a day for more than a week (10+times each in total in less than a month) and I'd still gladly watch them again. I really loved these movies, because they have a value for me, since they started everything, not mentioning enjoyable and catchy songs and such.  :wub:

In my opinion, these movies are getting worse ~ The first one I absolutely love, the second one I also love, though the third one has tons of plot holes and boring things, that made that movie just weird and irrational. It performed worse music-wise as well. Cafeteria Song FTW!  :love:

I love Equestia Girls as much as 'normal' MLP and I'm happily awaiting the 4th Equestria Girls Movie.  :pinkie:

So my answer is: Watch them!! =3 You don't have anything to lose anyway. Opinions are different, some ponies like this, some ponies that, so you'll never receive an accurate answer. You just need to try it yourself!  ^_^

By the way, to this day I don't get the hate these movies are receiving ~ the drawing style is cute and everything looks great, there's nothing I could complain about.

Watching these movies would bring back some memories... 

Sounds appealing. If this spin off can have as much of a pull and thrill to it as the show itself then I see no harm in taking a spoonful of medicine.

I would say give it a shot. I know that I loved all the EG movies to bits and I still do. I have watched every single movie at least 4-5 times a year. 

You won't really know unless you yourself watch it. You yourself are the best judge in what you yourself enjoy ;)

Yeah, I guess It's a love it or hate it kinda thing.

I'm surprised you've been able to avoid seeing all 3 movies up until now. While the majority of folks prefer the original FIM series, I have a soft spot for the EQG series. Sure my suspension of disbelief is tested greatly, and there are plot-holes up the wazoo, but at the end of the day, i'm not expecting an Oscar-worthy masterpiece. 

I say give them all a shot and form your own opinion. I may not go back and watch the films as often as I do the TV series, but I definitely listen to the music though. The soundtracks are absolutely amazing  >_>

Able to avoid? Well, that's a long story. I was sort of forced to leave the franchise a while back, and I've only just joined back recently. Basically, I came back last week and I hadn't gotten involved with MLP since Season 4 was still airing. Plot holes are things to expect here, obviously there's no excuse for them, but if they're minuscule enough, they won't be a problem

I was kinda not that excited for the first movie when it was originally coming out, but I was willing to give it a chance anyway, I thought it was decently alright. Then Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games came out and I completely adored them both, and I've even gone back and watched the original a few times and it's grown on me.

They aren't "Masterpieces" and are pretty flawed movies in general, but there's so much I've come to enjoy about them I don't really care that much. I love the songs, I actually have come to like the humanized designs quite a bit, I love Sunset as a character, there's some good jokes, etc. I liked them enough I bought the DVD's.

I'd say to anyone who's even a bit curious...Give them a shot, you might like them. If not, oh well. They have no effects on the main story of MLP, so you can just ignore them.

So here again, it looks like the sequels are being held in high regard. But as long as the first movie is at least decent, It's fine by me. If I can get ANY enjoyment from a series, then I consider it worth my time.

The Equestria Girls movies are very good, and thanks to them, I have made Sunset Shimmer one of my favorite character alongside the Mane Six and several others, especially after seeing Sunset in her Daydream Shimmer form. So very awesome and amazing!!

2 things, one, thanks for the opinion, it seems there are people who like the full series as a whole rather than just certain ones. Two, please refrain from any spoilers. I understand if you can't help it, but the more you talk about it the more I wanna search stuff up, and that'll just ruin it for me. No offence.

I wouldn't really call the ponies professionals rather than just friends with special talents...

"Professional" just means that they are paid for their labor. It seems that all 6 are supported by whatever their careers are.

Basically, they are in a completely different phase of life. 

There is a big difference between preparing for your future life, and actually living a sustainable life.  

I gather that most people are fine with this, but it drives me crazy...because it's basically regression.

I like seeing the ponies as fillies if the scene becomes a point of growth in their life, but in this alternative universe, it can't.

• Brohoof 1

2 things, one, thanks for the opinion, it seems there are people who like the full series as a whole rather than just certain ones. Two, please refrain from any spoilers. I understand if you can't help it, but the more you talk about it the more I wanna search stuff up, and that'll just ruin it for me. No offence.

Sorry about that. I forget that there are some people who have not seen the movies yet, so I have to remember that I don't want to spoil anything for them. Thanks for that.

• Brohoof 1

In all Applejack(honesty, get it) I didn't care much for them the first time through, but having seen them again. I'd say they're enjoyeble. They are after all spinnoffs, so take'em with a grain of salt, an open mind and no pre determined outcome in your head. And you're set to have fun + some of the music is actually really good (IMO).

• Brohoof 1

"Professional" just means that they are paid for their labor. It seems that all 6 are supported by whatever their careers are.

Basically, they are in a completely different phase of life. 

There is a big difference between preparing for your future life, and actually living a sustainable life.  

I gather that most people are fine with this, but it drives me crazy...because it's basically regression.

I like seeing the ponies as fillies if the scene becomes a point of growth in their life, but in this alternative universe, it can't.

Yeah, I get what you mean, the age doesn't really transfer over.

Sorry about that. I forget that there are some people who have not seen the movies yet, so I have to remember that I don't want to spoil anything for them. Thanks for that.

It's OK. It's more or less my fault for not being able to catch up fast.

In all Applejack(honesty, get it) I didn't care much for them the first time through, but having seen them again. I'd say they're enjoyeble. They are after all spinnoffs, so take'em with a grain of salt, an open mind and no pre determined outcome in your head. And you're set to have fun + some of the music is actually really good (IMO).

Yeah, I guess It's something you need to go in with an open mind about to really... Get.

(edited)

It's OK. It's more or less my fault for not being able to catch up fast.

Got it. Thanks for letting me know about that. Try to catch up as soon as you can, alright?

Edited by Sonic5421
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think it'd be worth watching. Seeing the different types of adventures the Mane Six would get as humans is pretty interesting. Personally, I think all the other EG films except the first one are better though I would recommend watching the first one so the sequels make sense.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think it'd be worth watching. Seeing the different types of adventures the Mane Six would get as humans is pretty interesting. Personally, I think all the other EG films except the first one are better though I would recommend watching the first one so the sequels make sense.

So I guess that confirms it has a continuity then.

"Equestria Girls" is imperfect in many ways, but it's fine. The sequels are both very good, especially "Rainbow Rocks," which I think is legitimately great on its own merits. I would recommend them! 

• Brohoof 2