Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler So the finale just aired in the UK...

Professional Horse

I can understand with the

changeling change

being lame, but aside from that I don't see why it was bad, I think it was extremely good. I am genuinely curious how others could be disappointed. Granted some people weren't expecting it to be good, so maybe they just see the parts they dislike or are too critical, but a show is meant to be enjoyed if you don't want to watch it then don't.

So we would rather see Twilight save the day every time?

I think Discord not having his magic knew better than to speak up, besides his capture was already more significant with all the crying fluttershys I dont think two characters complaining to each other had anything plot relevant.

The finales that have more going on can't put extra detail into things like that or it'd need a third episode eventually or remove other better parts.

The ending was rushed, but it had a lot going on it was pretty epic, I think that objectively makes it good even if the Glimmer reform part came out of left field, she did feel she was doing right as some people tend to justify their misbehavior tend to do already so its not entirely unbelievable and she was so powerful she simply didn't take anyone's advice seriously until Twi. 

The only issue I can see is nostalgia goggles clouding people's vision, or there weren't enough songs or Mane 6 action. What real tangible complaints do people have? I just think people are butthurt cuz of the fandom waning. Because if you say story, that had story going for it more than the first changeling invasion. Maybe you are just upset the show was somewhat self-conscious, but thats inevitable, I think people aren't going to be satisfied no matter what, and if its a show I spend my time watching I might as well be optimistic, and ignore the two silly parts and enjoy the rest of it, you have to consider they are packing alot of plot into two episodes, some parts won't be as smoothly explained as they could've been.

So until people can objectively give a better episode that everyone agrees on, I will disagree with their disagreement.

Perhaps but whats wrong with something new? Everyone would be complaining its too similar, if they aren't complaining its too different. I think since people watch it they might as well be optimistic and actually see the material. Like you see their facial expressions of urgency and worry? Thats character, so we can't say character development or not enough action going on. I mean theres nothing objectively wrong with it, and if people wanna see the mane 6 just rewatch older episodes, or wait til they get an episode together. 

Then again the people complaining probably wanted the show to stop at season 4 or something, and are expecting it to go 'downhill' so they accidentally confirmation bias or something, and say hey *cherry picked stuff* the show is going downhill!

Look at what the episode did right, or its not legitimate criticism, its just nostalgia goggles disagreeing with it because its different.

The only legitimate criticism I can see is no songs from these characters occurred.

And the no songs thing is minor, think of what it has not what its lacking, it doesn't have to meet a status quo it has to try something interesting, and it did.

I am happy it wasn't the mane 6 doing it again. I just would have rather had Susnet Shimmer be in her place.

• Brohoof 1

I am happy it wasn't the mane 6 doing it again. I just would have rather had Susnet Shimmer be in her place.

Sunset's had her fair share of heroism, and this had nothing to do with those spin offs. I'm glad Starlight had a time to shine.

There were ac

I can understand with the

changeling change

being lame, but aside from that I don't see why it was bad, I think it was extremely good. I am genuinely curious how others could be disappointed. Granted some people weren't expecting it to be good, so maybe they just see the parts they dislike or are too critical, but a show is meant to be enjoyed if you don't want to watch it then don't.

So we would rather see Twilight save the day every time?

I think Discord not having his magic knew better than to speak up, besides his capture was already more significant with all the crying fluttershys I dont think two characters complaining to each other had anything plot relevant.

The finales that have more going on can't put extra detail into things like that or it'd need a third episode eventually or remove other better parts.

The ending was rushed, but it had a lot going on it was pretty epic, I think that objectively makes it good even if the Glimmer reform part came out of left field, she did feel she was doing right as some people tend to justify their misbehavior tend to do already so its not entirely unbelievable and she was so powerful she simply didn't take anyone's advice seriously until Twi. 

The only issue I can see is nostalgia goggles clouding people's vision, or there weren't enough songs or Mane 6 action. What real tangible complaints do people have? I just think people are butthurt cuz of the fandom waning. Because if you say story, that had story going for it more than the first changeling invasion. Maybe you are just upset the show was somewhat self-conscious, but thats inevitable, I think people aren't going to be satisfied no matter what, and if its a show I spend my time watching I might as well be optimistic, and ignore the two silly parts and enjoy the rest of it, you have to consider they are packing alot of plot into two episodes, some parts won't be as smoothly explained as they could've been.

So until people can objectively give a better episode that everyone agrees on, I will disagree with their disagreement.

Perhaps but whats wrong with something new? Everyone would be complaining its too similar, if they aren't complaining its too different. I think since people watch it they might as well be optimistic and actually see the material. Like you see their facial expressions of urgency and worry? Thats character, so we can't say character development or not enough action going on. I mean theres nothing objectively wrong with it, and if people wanna see the mane 6 just rewatch older episodes, or wait til they get an episode together. 

Then again the people complaining probably wanted the show to stop at season 4 or something, and are expecting it to go 'downhill' so they accidentally confirmation bias or something, and say hey *cherry picked stuff* the show is going downhill!

Look at what the episode did right, or its not legitimate criticism, its just nostalgia goggles disagreeing with it because its different.The only legitimate criticism I can see is no songs from these characters occurred.

And the no songs thing is minor, think of what it has not what its lacking, it doesn't have to meet a status quo it has to try something interesting, and it did.

There was some really good stuff in there with Chrysalis, and Trixie actually didn't suck for once, but Starlight was as terrible as ever. She just hasn't earned this, for me. I don't care about her issues or struggles. It ultimately made the episode emotionally flat for me.
  • Brohoof 1

Here is my review for Part 2 and the finale in general.

Now I definitely wasn't expecting that. I was really impressed with how Chrysalis' castle operated what with all the twists and turns. No wonder only Changelings could figure their way around there. The throne being the source of the magic blocking was a tired cliche, but I was intrigued by how Starlight and company couldn't rely on using magic to survive. Discord and Trixie make an excellent odd-couple what with their constant bantering to the annoyance of Starlight.

Chrysalis was as evil as ever and I am so glad that she didn't reform--I don't think the fandom could've handled it. The new Changeling designs look really weird and it was Thorax who saved the day. With Starlight herself, she didn't really get to shine all that much. I mean, she had a good speech and all, but her repeated harps about her not having magic got old. Thorax was in the same boat. He didn't get to do much until the end when he changed--no pun intended.

Also, we still didn't find out how the Changelings captured everyone. Another odd thing was that there was no song, a standard for season finales. Oh, and don't get me started with how the ending well, ended so quickly. They really should consider a three part epic as opposed to just a two-parter. Overall, I'm not sure how to feel about this finale. The first part was really good despite some obvious flaws, yet the second part feels like a bit of a let-down.

The character chemistry was good even though again, Starlight and Thorax weren't utilized that much. The same can be said with the captives. They were just there and contributed nothing. The new Changeling design will take some time to get used to, but the first impression isn't good. I'm going to give this one about an 89% out of 100. It's a good finale, yes, but problems do plague it that bring it down slightly.

Just saw both of them today.

Absolutely impressive, worth the (reduced) wait given the average regular episodes we got this season. I think the early release did it a disservice because we all couldn't see it at the same time, given the more spoiler-averse ones among us.

Though this season's regular episodes were largely very safe, this episode managed to stitch together some of the more unique aspects from the better episodes and have this season's breakout writer (Mike Vogel) on staff.

It managed to bring back one of the more requested loose ends with Starlight's return to Our Town. Although I question the creative choice to not have it be the focus of a regular episode given the relatively thin subject matter of some of the episodes that did get made, at least it was addressed and we finally got to see the unlikely heroes of "The Cutie Map" return.

Speaking of unlikely heroes, it's by and large the episode's strongest suit, making callbacks to some of the better-remembered episodes this season. Both the Mane 6 and the Princesses needed to be bailed out for once, and though we haven't yet gotten the "all of Equestria pitches in to save itself" two-parter I've wanted to see for about two seasons now, it's especially interesting to see the hero ball be passed to redemptive characters; an extra win given how easily the fandom is won over by these types of characters.

The four heroes all provide an interesting contrast in personality, with the more cautious and reluctant Starlight and Thorax contrasting the boisterous, clashing, and bickering Discord and Trixie. Even though Starlight is the de jure leader of the group, in truth each one takes the lead and brings their own talent and ideas to the table at different points in the episode.

Discord brought one of his better performances, (far better than "Dungeons and Discords" IMO) although he seems to be less and less like Q and more like an irreverent yet morally squeaky-clean good guy by the day. Though I'm not a fan of Trixie, her callbacks to "No Second Prances" and moments with Starlight gave the episode some depth, and her quibbles with Discord were entertaining (although I root for Discord's playful wit over Trixie's dry sarcasm every time; if there's one character here you don't talk down to, it's Discord). Thankfully and as predicted, we got more of Thorax and his presence is actually very meaningful and essential for the ponies' needs. It shows just how powerful the connections made by friendship can be.

I'm glad they didn't go the route of reforming Queen Chrysalis, although I do wonder what good leaving that arc open will do down the road. Speaking of arcs, Starlight Glimmer continues to show advancement, but one can only wonder what her endgame is and how other characters factor into it.

It's a shame we only get episodes like this twice a season, because I think the show needs a little more of it now. I think it's a great way to end Season 6 and gives them plenty to work with in Season 7, although that means the regular episodes will have to account for changes in format to keep up.

One thing that rankles me as well is that defeating Celestia and now Luna is so easy that it can even be handled off-screen...  Come on alicorns, pony-up.  How did Celestia run the country for a millenia without it being taken over? 

• Brohoof 1

One thing that rankles me as well is that defeating Celestia and now Luna is so easy that it can even be handled off-screen...  Come on alicorns, pony-up.  How did Celestia run the country for a millenia without it being taken over? 

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES! Exactly! How many times are they going to display how woefully incompetent Celestia really is at EVERYTHING? Further more, how did they capture Luna in a DREAM?

• Brohoof 2

Click spoiler tag for my opinion of the finale:

I really liked this finale. The character interactions were great (especially between Trixie and Discord), and I loved how they seemed to go for a reformation of Chrysalis, just to eventually subvert it (I was sitting and wispering "nonono" continuously when I thought they were going for a reformation, but was very relieved when it didn't happen). There were of course flaws, but I'm not a nitpicky person. I would say this was one of the better finales.

I'm not a big fan of the new changeling designs, but I'm not as opposed to them as a lot of other people seem to be (but it will still take some time to get used to them). The possible exception is Thorax's design: That one is a bit to much.

Edited by Psychopathrik

Yeah, I'm getting serious annoyed with how they keep making Celestia the victim of the villain in most season premieres/finales.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES! Exactly! How many times are they going to display how woefully incompetent Celestia really is at EVERYTHING? Further more, how did they capture Luna in a DREAM?

From the looks of it, she was physically struggling against them before they finally grabbed her by the wings or neck and finally restrained her to be put in a cocoon with everyone else after she managed to warn Starlight of the situation.

Yeah, I'm getting serious annoyed with how they keep making Celestia the victim of the villain in most season premieres/finales.

From the looks of it, she was physically struggling against them before they finally grabbed her by the wings or neck and finally restrained her to be put in a cocoon with everyone else after she managed to warn Starlight of the situation.

That was POST capture.  Luna was able to contact Glimmer when she figured out what was going on -- I am figuring her door had something Luna was able to search on, and she was trying to form a resistance.  Unfortunately the changelings figured it out. 

As an aside that means that it isn't alicorn or unicorn magic that Luna uses to do standard walk-thru-pony-doors dreamwalking

That was POST capture.  Luna was able to contact Glimmer when she figured out what was going on -- I am figuring her door had something Luna was able to search on, and she was trying to form a resistance.  Unfortunately the changelings figured it out. 

As an aside that means that it isn't alicorn or unicorn magic that Luna uses to do standard walk-thru-pony-doors dreamwalking

Good point, but if she was able to do it before being put in her cocoon and subdued, I gotta give Luna credit for holding out that long before she was finally restrained and subdued.

It's a mystery that has lasted for a millennia.

• Brohoof 2

you know? This No Second Prances comic is funnier now yo  :squee:

In case you didn't noticed, it's a voice actor joke. Trix and Chrisy share the same VA

1143756__safe_twilight+sparkle_princess+  

I also find it funny that Chrisy was beyond PISSED, and promised revenge specifically at Starlight; considering that the comics made her Twi's arch enemy :lol: 

The best finale they have done, and I'm not saying that because I went gaga over Chrysalis the entire time(even she's my favorite villain)

This episode took risk, and I love it when artists and writers go against the grain every now and then. This is the first finale, where the Mane 6 were not involved, and it also didn't need an action scene like season 4 to be good. I am making a guess that this was meant to be the first 3 parter finale... I guess someone at DHX wanted to show how everyone was captured, it couldn't be explained in 44 minutes while not feeling rushed. But I appreciate what they did in just two parts, I can tell DHX had fun and put their passion into this finale.

Pros: 

-Kathleen Barr I can tell had a blast reprising Chrysalis again and playing Trixie, especially Chrysalis, she just oozed evil, malice and a cold heart through her dialogue.

-We finally got to see what fans called the "badlands" and see what a changeling hive looks like. I was satisfied as it is supposed to be the opposite of where the cheerful and friendly ponies reside in Equestria.

-I am on/off with Discord, but dam was this his best episode. Not just the interactions with Trixie, but it was fair to see him in a position of vulnerability. He is also making more friends, as we can assume him and Trixie could be forming something. Discord has been excellent in season 6, not so much in season 5. 

-For 44 minutes, I didn't think the narrative was rushed. I know they need to do so much in under an hour, but come on people, this isn't the Cutie Re Mark where it was just about alternate reality gimmicks instead of focusing on an actual story. Even though I  am unsure of what season 6's theme was, The Thorax character was resolved with this finale and it was worth it. Chrysalis in my opinion had enough screen time and there was never a filler moment in these two episodes. 

Chrysalis throws Starlight to the wall   :pinkie:

Cons:

-Just not digging Starlight people. Cool if people like her and while my favorite episode of her's was a Hearth's Warming Tale, I just felt character paled in comparison to Trixie and Discord's dynamic. I also don't like Glimmer being Chrysalis's new obsession.. So much for the trouble Twilight caused 4 seasons ago.

-Explain why Celestia and Luna are the Yamcha of MLP? Is it a rule of thumb Celestia needs to be humiliated all the time. 

-They hint at a possible future reformation..... All I can say is..... Godspeed Chrysalis, may the universe guide a human's typing hand to NOT make you reformed. 

Edited by SunsetBaconDrive
  • Brohoof 2

The best finale they have done, and I'm not saying that because I went gaga over Chrysalis the entire time(even she's my favorite villain)

This episode took risk, and I love it when artists and writers go against the grain every now and then. This is the first finale, where the Mane 6 were not involved, and it also didn't need an action scene like season 4 to be good. I am making a guess that this was meant to be the first 3 parter finale... I guess someone at DHX wanted to show how everyone was captured, it couldn't be explained in 44 minutes while not feeling rushed. But I appreciate what they did in just two parts, I can tell DHX had fun and put their passion into this finale.

Pros: 

-Kathleen Barr I can tell had a blast reprising Chrysalis again and playing Trixie, especially Chrysalis, she just oozed evil, malice and a cold heart through her dialogue.

-We finally got to see what fans called the "badlands" and see what a changeling hive looks like. I was satisfied as it is supposed to be the opposite of where the cheerful and friendly ponies reside in Equestria.

-I am on/off with Discord, but dam was this his best episode. Not just the interactions with Trixie, but it was fair to see him in a position of vulnerability. He is also making more friends, as we can assume him and Trixie could be forming something. Discord has been excellent in season 6, not so much in season 5. 

-For 44 minutes, I didn't think the narrative was rushed. I know they need to do so much in under an hour, but come on people, this isn't the Cutie Re Mark where it was just about alternate reality gimmicks instead of focusing on an actual story. Even though I  am unsure of what season 6's theme was, The Thorax character was resolved with this finale and it was worth it. Chrysalis in my opinion had enough screen time and there was never a filler moment in these two episodes. 

Chrysalis throws Starlight to the wall   :pinkie:

Cons:

-Just not digging Starlight people. Cool if people like her and while my favorite episode of her's was a Hearth's Warming Tale, I just felt character paled in comparison to Trixie and Discord's dynamic. I also don't like Glimmer being Chrysalis's new obsession.. So much for the trouble Twilight caused 4 seasons ago.

-Explain why Celestia and Luna are the Yamcha of MLP? Is it a rule of thumb Celestia needs to be humiliated all the time. 

-They hint at a possible future reformation..... All I can say is..... Godspeed Chrysalis, may the universe guide a human's typing hand to NOT make you reformed. 

You know, the writers can always make more villains twice as irredeemable as Tirek.

• Brohoof 1

You know, the writers can always make more villains twice as irredeemable as Tirek.

I can imagine the movie's villain is going to be 'evil' itself. I know the movie will have a new villain, and I stated earlier I except it for the movie. I think the series has enough baddies.

I can imagine the movie's villain is going to be 'evil' itself. I know the movie will have a new villain, and I stated earlier I except it for the movie. I think the series has enough baddies.

Right. And I agree on one thing you said: Apparently, Josh Haber doesn't think Twilight's worthy enough of Chrysalis's vengeance.

• Brohoof 1

Cons:

Twilight hardly did anything to Chrysalis, other than rescuing Cadence. If anybody should be targetted by Chrysalis, it's her, Shining Armor and Flurry. And Thorax.

But yes, redemption doesn't suit Chrysalis at all. Better to end her role with a violent death than to have her get chummy with everyone.

Edited by Lord-Pomegranate

Twilight hardly did anything to Chrysalis, other than rescuing Cadence. If anybody should be targetted by Chrysalis, it's her, Shining Armor and Flurry. And Thorax.

But yes, redemption doesn't suit Cadence at all. Better to end her role with a violent death than to have her get chummy with everyone.

But ultimately, Twilight was the reason Cadance and Shining Armor managed to defeat Chrysalis the first time.

• Brohoof 1

Right. And I agree on one thing you said: Apparently, Josh Haber doesn't think Twilight's worthy enough of Chrysalis's vengeance.

Haber was great for Friendship Games, but yes I agree, I always viewed Chrysalis as Twilight's arch enemy. This doesn't ruin the finale for me though.

Haber was great for Friendship Games, but yes I agree, I always viewed Chrysalis as Twilight's arch enemy. This doesn't ruin the finale for me though.

Well, it's not like I'm gonna watch the finale anyway. Let me know when Twilight and friends save the day next season.

• Brohoof 2

Okay, well, the first episode is pretty terrible imo. literally would put it at either a 2/10 or a 1/10. Starlight is STILL terrible and utterly unenthralling as a character. The plot is just pretty boring, and even when we get to the changelings having replaced everyone, Its still super slow.

THEN we get to Part 2, and it REALLY gets much better. This is mainly due to getting actual GOOD characters in the episode; Discord is freaking phenomenal, Trixie is great, and Thorax plays off Discord and trixie well. Starlight is actually a little better in the second half too, but is STILL being carried by the others.

The way they move through the hive, the character interactions and tricks they do is good, and while I STILL call super BS on the changelings just replacing the princesses like that without ANYONE noticing or problems is still pure plot bs, but no worries.

Overall, good second half, TERRIBLE first half, and starlight is STILL a horrible character. Please, get rid of her in the next seasons, PLEASE and stop shoving her down our throats. More discord, more Thorax, more trixie, YES, all three were great. BUT NOT MORE STARLIGHT.

as an aside, not happy they reformed ALL the changelings. COME ON, they're a great go to set of antagonists, you should have had only half choose to follow thorax's way and the other half choose to stay evil.

Also not happy about Chrysalis jumping to Starlight as her new "nemesis". This is bullshit like when she jumped to Twilight being her nemesis instead of Cadence in the comics, and it really comes off as character shilling for focus. Past that, good way to deal with chrysalis though

Sombra to me is the series's most overrated villain.

Wait, WHAT?! Sombra is generally ragged on as being the WEAKEST villain in the show almost unanimously XD

past that, agree about starlight's focus, she REALLY cannot carry things on her own; the episode was saved by the OTHERS, not by starlight.
Please oh god please do not make her still stay a mane seventh in S7 >.<

2017 is going to be a financial frenzy for My little Pony 

1 season 

3 specials 

1 movie 

Brand new toy line

Hasbro might as well just make a PS4/PC game with the money they have. They save a ton of money using Flash and Toon Boom from episode to episode.

keep in mind, that assumes success in all those areas; Equestria girls has crashed before, so 100% constant financial success is never assured. Things could always take a downturn in any of those areas.

• Brohoof 1