14 users have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favourite

• DOTA
    • DOTA 2
    • HON
    • LOL
    • None

(edited)

Just wanna know your opinion/ taste about the DOTA family.

For those who don’t know here’s a little story class:

DOTA, or Defend Of The Ancients was a mod of the game Warcraft 3. The point was to only control a hero in a sky view world, killing other players and bots, leading your army of bots to the opponent’s base, and making evolve your hero from lv 1 for each game.

This was a pretty famous mod, which implies a lot of skill and team play.

Today there’s two other famous version of this games, there are DOTA likes.

One is LOL, League of Legends.

And the other is HON, Heroes of Newerth.

There’s also a DOTA 2 coming.

All those games share the same bases but they are really different in reality. The kind of difference I can explain, but that you can’t understand without trying.

And there’s also an eternal debate about which one is the best (someone call it a war, and it’s realy violent sometime ^^)

So here’s the story, I participate and animated a few debate on the subject in French forums and I’d like to know your opinion about WHICH ONE IS THE BEST.

Just a few rules so it will be a debate and not a fight.

-All the basic rules of the forums OFC, the moderators are awesome and they are doing a wonderful job so don’t disappointed them (me flattering? never).

-Don’t just say “something sucks” give some arguments when you criticize.

-If you don’t know what you are talking about, or if you are not sure, admit it. Don’t keep stuck on an idea because of something someone said: sometime only the experience count.

-Don’t forget that we are talking about OPINION, saying “I don’t like this game” isn’t insulting it, sometime sentiments can’t even be explained, but they don’t have to be taken as insults.

Those rules can seem obvious but I prefer to precise it, the last time I didn’t it was like a civil war in the forum.

Hope you’ll be a lot to answer.

Edited by marlyly

Out of the two i've tried (Dota 2 and LoL), i prefer LoL. Granted, i haven't extensively played Dota 2 (AND it's still in beta and not a final representation, so my opinion can still change) so i may be a bit biased, but here's why i liked LoL more:

For starters, i liked the cartoony art style more. Dota 2 felt a bit less cartoony and has a rather different graphic style. Another reason i liked LoL more was because LoL has brush cover. Dota 2 doesn't have brush cover, and instead limits your LoS (line of sight) using environmental objects such as trees and ditches. (I don't exactly remember if LoL does this but i don't think it does. At least it's not particularly noticeable). In addition i like the teleport back to base option in LoL, whereas in Dota 2 you have to buy a teleport item to do it that has a limited number of uses.

I also liked the general feel of the LoL characters more. To me they felt like they had more depth and personality, and i felt like there was a greater ability difference between them (remember i haven't played Dota 2 a lot, so there may be a large difference. I just didn't notice it). Also you have to unlock them (unsure if Dota 2 will do this in the final product or not).

Those are the main reasons i can think of right now, may edit it and add more later.

Whichever one has a halfway-decent community gets my vote. A game is nothing if you love it, but hate everyone on it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

League of Legends was my introduction to these games. I was a Warcraft 3 fan, but somehow never wound up getting into DotA. I've considered trying DotA 2, but since I play irregularly due to real life I'll probably wind up sticking to LoL because it has a better casual scene plus teams and tournaments I'm already familiar with for watching.

Edited by Harebrained

Posted Image

Too bad you can't choose both Dota2 and LoL, both of them are very good games on their own sub-genre :wacko:

The only difference that matters to me between Dota2 and LoL is the deny system. It's kinda priceless to see your enemy's face when you kill all of your own creeps :P

LoL got a very nice graphic and gameplay, you can spend your entire weekend playing it without getting bored. But Dota2 got some serious competitive feeling in it, all you need is a minor screw-up in the beginning and the entire game is done for.

I can't actually play Dota 2 due to brazilian people... they all go bot or they all go top, and i'm alone, because they die all the time, im not implying that im good at this game, just saying that cooperation is imperative in this game and brazilian people don't seem to accomplish it.

Anyway, i like Doom Bringer, Night Stalker and Lifestealer!

I've always wanted to try DOTA 2, but I'm predominately a LOL player.

Got hooked on DOTA a few years ago on LAN servers at a game design camp, unfortunately it was really hard to find a game back then online....

Even though I don't remember much from DOTA, I'd have to agree that the brush system and teleport spell are absolutely crucial to that style of gameplay. It's just a lot easier for new players to pick up, and there's an amazing set of strategies for brush. Other than that though.....Better try DOTA 2 soon! :D

Thanks you for your opinions.

I'm probably gonna be killed for mine but whatever.

My favourite is HON.

The first I played was LOL and I realy enjoyed it at first. Still now I admit that it's the best if you want to begin with this kind of game: most of the characters are esay to play, the runes and masteries can realy help, the "back system" the possible flash for every champion and the realy weak jungle make it easy to play. You can also play with good players and here it becomes competitive.

I wont complain about the community, most of the peoples are cool, there's also a lot of annoying noobs but they are everywhere.

The only problem with LOL is that Riot game is realy oriented on profit. They discovered with their world cup that peoples find that the begining of a LOL game isn't funny to watch, cause there's not enough action.

So they nerfed the creeps and towers, the support (who cant make a good fight but are so helpfull well played) and create more of tank champions overpowered since the begining of the game. Dominion was another try to make the game more interesting to watch, and It's preety fun i've got to admit.

It seems to be nothing but even before I considered most part of the of-tank as too unbalanced, and I was usualy playing support or tank (remember the old shen? the useless unless your team follow you?) so when it became too obvious to me that it will only get worse, I stoped.

Then I had a look at HON, only because I didn't had access to DOTA2. I found it freakin awesome, the stack, the pool, the deny, it gives to the support a realy hard work. Basicaly everything is harder in HON, no flash, taller map so there's more gank, limited but indispensable wards, creeps harder to kill, less magic point for the mages, the carry cant tank even with life lich, no bush which mean it's harder to escape.

Here again the community can be hard, it can even be worse because even the good players can be agressives. But I prefer being insulted by a good player than by a noob. With a noob there's no point on answering, with the real player the best you can do is becoming better than him.

And there's also some good guys ready to help you, there are only a few.

I use to say that the HON comunity is like an old monk, which will hit you a hundreds of time before he teach you his ancien techniques .............. excepted that the monk wont insult your mom

To me this game is the best, and more balanced than LOL (dont say that it's perfectly balanced, just mean that the new heroes arent OP and that there's practicaly no "evil unbreakable teams")

For DOTA 2 it's not finished so my mind can change, for the moment it's kinda fun if you play it with 4 friends, the matchmaking suck and you can be alone againts a full team. For the rest it's basicaly HON with some items diferents and a delay on some skills.

For the community, too much rusians in the european servor.

I'm not talking about the graphic aspec, the 3 has their own style and they are all great. And all have some badass looking heroes you wants to play only for this ^^

• Brohoof 1

For the community, too much rusians in the european servor.

This. The ultimate truth. And the fact that any lone ruskies will often feed the other team after they got 'firstblood'ed doesn't help at all.

HoN got a much faster gameplay imo. I once tried to play a few rounds but my brain went blue-screen because I couldn't keep up :/

• Brohoof 1