Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Are We Entering A New Dark Age Of Cartoons?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Now, I'm a big fan of cartoons, the fact that I'm even using this site should make that obvious, but really until about a year or so ago I've never really known much about their history through the 80's and 90's and all that. Point is, I'm not that big of an expert on the subject, so if what I'm saying turns out to be complete bogus, I'm sorry for that. Anyway, pushing aside the discussion of whether MLP should end soon or not, It's obviously reasonable to assume that we will probably get G5, in a few years at latest. These types of cartoons usually tend to last in certain decade, and soon enough we'll be entering the 2020's and will probably be left with a whole new set of shows to watch, replacing the ones we have now. I'm kinda worried about this, because with the way new TV shows coming up are turning out (PPG 2016 and TTG were only barely mediocre to me.) I'm kind of worried that the next decade is gonna follow suit to that. With great shows like Regular Show, Adventure Time, The Amazing World Of Gumball, and maybe Steven Universe at a later point, ending, that means there need to be new cartoons to fill the gap. I'm worried that the next decade might be full of cartoons trying to cash in on nostalgia without having the actual passion for the show, as if they're just doing it for the money, heck, we're starting to see this already with PPG 2016 and Ben 10 2016, Ben 10 especially worrying me because that used to be my favourite cartoon in existence in my younger years. Now this is only talking about one channel specifically right now, CN, but I feel that the same principal could apply to Nickelodeon, and wherever the hell MLP is showing nowadays. When G5 comes out, is it just gonna be a rehash shell of the show that came before it, filled with cringe and trying to be "cool with the kids" in a way that'll see these shows go outdated long before they usually would? I guess the main point I'm trying to say is, I'm really frightened for the future of cartoons, and I know It's a little early to think about it, but It's always best to prepare. Do you think we're entering another dark age of cartoons?

• Brohoof 2

A lot of good shows definitely have come to an end, and it seems great shows almost come in cycles. We are definitely not approaching a good cartoon era if anything else is like the horrid PPG reboot. Way to survive these dark ages? Hunker down, get a lot of snacks and have a bunch of great cartoons on demand.

• Brohoof 3

A lot of good shows definitely have come to an end, and it seems great shows almost come in cycles. We are definitely not approaching a good cartoon era if anything else is like the horrid PPG reboot. Way to survive these dark ages? Hunker down, get a lot of snacks and have a bunch of great cartoons on demand.

Tell me about it, I could probably make an entire post specifically on that show if I wanted to, but I feel like It's been done to death already. Mind you, I've seen much worse cartoons on TV, and maybe if I look at the show by itself, It's just above a passing grade but there are so many parts that are painful to watch, and compared to the original it can't compete, I don't think nostalgia's telling me that either, because I didn't get to watch the original show until years after It's cancellation.

• Brohoof 1

Well, if the next gen of MLP sucks because of greedy corporate reasons, then we can always crowdfund some passionate bronies to make a proper show with cartoon ponies whilist not making it a "my little" pony for you know what reasons.

• Brohoof 2

Well, if the next gen of MLP sucks because of greedy corporate reasons, then we can always crowdfund some passionate bronies to make a proper show with cartoon ponies whilist not making it a "my little" pony for you know what reasons.

Call me picky, but I don't think that'd work. Yeah, it might be made by bronies, but that really depends on if you trust the brony community to make a full TV series, plus, it might be a show about cartoon ponies, but, well It's not My Little Pony. This kind of crowdfunding thing works for video games, but TV shows? I don't see it being successful.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think so.

Even the supposed greatness of the overrated 90's had some pretty bad cartoons in it

Shows like Steven Universe, TMNT 2012, Star Vs the Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears, and Milo Murphy's Law are still airing right now.

Plus there are some promising new shows coming up like The Big Hero 6 cartoon and the upcoming Justice League Action, and the Infinity Train pilot shows a lot of promise to become either a full length series or mini series.

The same goes for hopefully OK KO! pulling a Mighty Magiswords and going from online shorts to a full tv series as well.

And that's not including Netflix shows like Voltron Legendary Defender or adult cartoons like Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman.

I think that animation is doing fine right now and some people are overreacting.

• Brohoof 10

I don't really think so.

Even the supposed greatness of the overrated 90's had some pretty bad cartoons in it

Shows like Steven Universe, TMNT 2012, Star Vs the Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears, and Milo Murphy's Law are still airing right now.

Plus there are some promising new shows coming up like The Big Hero 6 cartoon and the upcoming Justice League Action, and the Infinity Train pilot shows a lot of promise to become either a full length series or mini series.

The same goes for hopefully OK KO! pulling a Mighty Magiswords and going from online shorts to a full tv series as well.

And that's not including Netflix shows like Voltron Legendary Defender or adult cartoons like Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman.

I think that animation is doing fine right now and some people are overreacting.

Oh, don't get me wrong, every decade still has It's bad cartoons, none of them have only good ones and only bad ones, I don't think the 90's are overrated though. I guess there is still some hope, to be honest I haven't heard of those upcoming ones you mentioned, or Mighty Magiswords for that matter. Voltron making a comeback sounds interesting, and in terms of adult cartoons, there's no drought in those, The Simpsons and Family Guy are still going strong along with those newer shows. I'm sorry for making everything seem gloom and doom, but even with those positives you mentioned, I think I still have reason to worry, but maybe that'll change.

P.S: They're making a BIG HERO 6 cartoon? Hell yes!

• Brohoof 1

Heh, you've a point here... Other than MLP, the only other shows I'm watching are Star Vs. The forces of Evil (which is growing on me as its S2 so far is FAR better than the S1) and Miraculous Ladybug (which is gonna be the show I'll follow with more passion once I quit MLP with the next year Movie). I've to start Milo Murphy's Law yet but.... I've not good news about it... the ratings for its first eps have been... disastrous so far: the first episodes aired on Disney XD barely got to the 300k range (that for a debutting show it's a terrible result), afterward they also tried to air the show on Disney Channel in order to get better ratings, but that didn't work well neither (it got only about 900k which is WAY below the avarage ratings of Disney Channel).... in other words, I'm afraid that show is gonna end like Invader Zim at its time... 

For the rest.... Voltron is on hiatus until January, not a fan of adult cartoons and the only upcoming cartoon I'm interested in it's the Big Hero 6 show. Nothing else interests me right now... yeah, dark age for cartoons...

• Brohoof 1

Heh, you've a point here... Other than MLP, the only other shows I'm watching are Star Vs. The forces of Evil (which is growing on me as its S2 so far is FAR better than the S1) and Miraculous Ladybug (which is gonna be the show I'll follow with more passion once I quit MLP with the next year Movie). I've to start Milo Murphy's Law yet but.... I've not good news about it... the ratings for its first eps have been... disastrous so far: the first episodes aired on Disney XD barely got to the 300k range (that for a debutting show it's a terrible result), afterward they also tried to air the show on Disney Channel in order to get better ratings, but that didn't work well neither (it got only about 900k which is WAY below the avarage ratings of Disney Channel).... in other words, I'm afraid that show is gonna end like Invader Zim at its time... 

For the rest.... Voltron is on hiatus until January, not a fan of adult cartoons and the only upcoming cartoon I'm interested in it's the Big Hero 6 show. Nothing else interests me right now... yeah, dark age for cartoons...

I don't really have a comment on most of that since the only Disney Channel show I watch is Gravity Falls, and that's over so... Meh. I will agree that Big Hero 6 sounds exciting.

Let's just hope they don't try to ruin more shows like they did with teen titans.

Too late to say that.

Powerpuff Girls Reboot

Ben 10 Reboot

Samurai Jack Reboot

Maybe this will be of interest. 

Actually as a matter of fact, that video partially inspired me to make this post in the first place, so yeah. I love me some Saberspark.

• Brohoof 1

It seems a lot of great shows from the first part of this decade seem to have numbered days, but with that said Steven Universe seems to have some years left on it, and to that end we still have shows like We Bare Bears and The Loud House. MLP still has some time as well, but frankly I think this show is passing its prime, especially with the very safe and risk-averse writing in Season 6 with a nice side of declining ratings. The trend I notice is that the early-2010s fixation on surreal and fantasy humor seems to be giving way to a handful of more subdued, sitcom-like shows and a metric F-ton of franchise reboots. Franchise shows can be good (look at MLP), but I really hate it when a mediocre show uses its franchise labeling as a crutch. You can't polish a turd, it's still a turd.

It just seems like a change in stylistic preference on the part of creators and network executives these days. These things happen every half-decade, some networks adapt to it far better than others, and there will be some good shows and bad shows resulting from it. We just don't know who and what they are yet. We can either hope for the best, take advantage of what the Internet gives us and find good entertainment in places other than the mainstream cartoon channels, or make our own.

• Brohoof 4

I'm just tired of the low brow humor shows. But whatever. Every cartoon generation has to have some popular theme it's known for I guess.

Yeah, but not every show... There should at least be variety.

It seems a lot of great shows from the first part of this decade seem to have numbered days, but with that said Steven Universe seems to have some years left on it, and to that end we still have shows like We Bare Bears and The Loud House. MLP still has some time as well, but frankly I think this show is passing its prime, especially with the very safe and risk-averse writing in Season 6 with a nice side of declining ratings. The trend I notice is that the early-2010s fixation on surreal and fantasy humor seems to be giving way to a handful of more subdued, sitcom-like shows and a metric F-ton of franchise reboots. Franchise shows can be good (look at MLP), but I really hate it when a mediocre show uses its franchise labeling as a crutch. You can't polish a turd, it's still a turd.

It just seems like a change in stylistic preference on the part of creators and network executives these days. These things happen every half-decade, some networks adapt to it far better than others, and there will be some good shows and bad shows resulting from it. We just don't know who and what they are yet. We can either hope for the best, take advantage of what the Internet gives us and find good entertainment in places other than the mainstream cartoon channels, or make our own.

Nah, I think MLPs still doing just fine right now, though you're probably right on the changing trends here. I hate franchise labelling too so I can sympathise with ya there. To be honest I don't mind looking at new stylistic preferences as long as It's done well with writing, animation, etc. I can accept it. Making our own sounds like a bad idea, but we DO have the internet I suppose, I don't feel cartoons are obsolete though, people do still care about TV cartoons.

• Brohoof 2

Yeeeaahh.... But I mean, I'm not only going to point out CN here.

We had ourselves Over The Garden Wall, Steven Universe, The Amazing World of Gumball, MLP, Gravity Falls.. And it seems that more shows are making their entrance. MY/OUR generation has grown up, watching these amazing cartoons, Johnny Bravo, Dexters Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans, Kim Possible... And we have taken inspiration from them and created our own, original, AMAZING content. I honestly believe that our generation can do cartoons justice and find a new meaning to them, so I won't believe another dark era is coming for us. I believe we'll get a LOT of amazing, original shows, as long as channels will accept their ideas and give them a chance. I for one, love many comics on the internet that would make great cartoons. Give'm a shot at animation and it would turn out fantastic. DO IT

• Brohoof 4

I'm not really that worried. Maybe things don't look so good right now, but they could get better. Nick does have some upcoming original shows. Whether or not they're good is another story, but we'll have to wait and see. Cartoon Network doesn't have much coming up right now, but with all the shows that are ending, they might start announcing more soon. Also, I'm not really sure if Gumball is actually ending. The creator did say they were bringing it to it's final episode after season 6, but then he said that was just when he was leaving. Whatever happens, I hope it isn't continued without him.

Samurai Jack Reboot

It's more of a revival than a reboot. They're just making a 5th season of the show to wrap up the series and Genndy and some crew (not sure how much exactly, so it may be more than just some) are back for it, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 1

did wonder if you saw Saber's video, but yeah I think he's right, cartoons are getting worse again. It was looking up for Disney theeen Gravity Falls ended too soon and its gone back to how it was before.

in response to his video, I had no idea that CN actually did live action shows, I think id actually stopped watching CN at that point and missed it. 

I want Fox kids back!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeeeaahh.... But I mean, I'm not only going to point out CN here.

We had ourselves Over The Garden Wall, Steven Universe, The Amazing World of Gumball, MLP, Gravity Falls.. And it seems that more shows are making their entrance. MY/OUR generation has grown up, watching these amazing cartoons, Johnny Bravo, Dexters Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans, Kim Possible... And we have taken inspiration from them and created our own, original, AMAZING content. I honestly believe that our generation can do cartoons justice and find a new meaning to them, so I won't believe another dark era is coming for us. I believe we'll get a LOT of amazing, original shows, as long as channels will accept their ideas and give them a chance. I for one, love many comics on the internet that would make great cartoons. Give'm a shot at animation and it would turn out fantastic. DO IT

I understand having an affection for shows like Johnny, Dexter, Powerpuff etc. But I get what you mean by how we've taken inspiration from them to create new content. Johnny Test is the new Dexter's Lab pretty much (Yeah, I know I'm in the minority here but I liked it, sue me.) and you can find more comparisons later down the road too. I'd love to think that everything will be sunshine and rainbows, but we don't have a way to know that, I just hope you're right.

I'm not really that worried. Maybe things don't look so good right now, but they could get better. Nick does have some upcoming original shows. Whether or not they're good is another story, but we'll have to wait and see. Cartoon Network doesn't have much coming up right now, but with all the shows that are ending, they might start announcing more soon. Also, I'm not really sure if Gumball is actually ending. The creator did say they were bringing it to it's final episode after season 6, but then he said that was just when he was leaving. Whatever happens, I hope it isn't continued without him.

It's more of a revival than a reboot. They're just making a 5th season of the show to wrap up the series and Genndy and some crew (not sure how much exactly, so it may be more than just some) are back for it, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

To be honest, thinking about Nick, I honestly think It's too late for them. I was always more of a CN fan anyway, but still, Nickelodeon made many bad decisions in the past because they never want to innovate, they always stuck to the norm. They could have got Adventure Time, but they went for Fanboy and Chum Chum, then again, who knows how different it would have been on Nick. All they have is Spongebob and even that's getting stale, in a Simpsons sort of way. Still, I'm getting off topic.

Really? Where exactly are you getting this information?

did wonder if you saw Saber's video, but yeah I think he's right, cartoons are getting worse again. It was looking up for Disney theeen Gravity Falls ended too soon and its gone back to how it was before.

in response to his video, I had no idea that CN actually did live action shows, I think id actually stopped watching CN at that point and missed it. 

I want Fox kids back!

Yeah, Disney has barely any shows on it, I'm never interested in anything other than Gravity Falls on there, but they have the Big Hero 6 cartoon coming up, so that's something.

Yes, CN does do live action, in fact I think they still do now, just not as much. Here's the thing, I don't mind any cartoon station using live action shows, It's good to have a different style and variety, but the problem was that for a channel called CARTOON Network, there were way too many live action shows at the time, and not enough cartoons to counter it.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial

I understand having an affection for shows like Johnny, Dexter, Powerpuff etc. But I get what you mean by how we've taken inspiration from them to create new content. Johnny Test is the new Dexter's Lab pretty much (Yeah, I know I'm in the minority here but I liked it, sue me.) and you can find more comparisons later down the road too. I'd love to think that everything will be sunshine and rainbows, but we don't have a way to know that, I just hope you're right.

To be honest, thinking about Nick, I honestly think It's too late for them. I was always more of a CN fan anyway, but still, Nickelodeon made many bad decisions in the past because they never want to innovate, they always stuck to the norm. They could have got Adventure Time, but they went for Fanboy and Chum Chum, then again, who knows how different it would have been on Nick. All they have is Spongebob and even that's getting stale, in a Simpsons sort of way. Still, I'm getting off topic.

Really? Where exactly are you getting this information?

Yeah, Disney has barely any shows on it, I'm never interested in anything other than Gravity Falls on there, but they have the Big Hero 6 cartoon coming up, so that's something.

Yes, CN does do live action, in fact I think they still do now, just not as much. Here's the thing, I don't mind any cartoon station using live action shows, It's good to have a different style and variety, but the problem was that for a channel called CARTOON Network, there were way too many live action shows at the time, and not enough cartoons to counter it.

I can't seem to find where I saw the part about the crew. Possible I was mistaken. Genndy is involved, though. I guess no on outright said this is the last season, but this seems to imply it.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/breaking-all-new-samurai-jack-coming-in-2016.5515372/page-8#post-84478531

I know it's another message board, but I think the user that posted that is trustworthy.

Also, Cartoon Network still airs love action movies, but they've stopped making live action shows.

• Brohoof 1

I can't seem to find where I saw the part about the crew. Possible I was mistaken. Genndy is involved, though. I guess no on outright said this is the last season, but this seems to imply it.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/breaking-all-new-samurai-jack-coming-in-2016.5515372/page-8#post-84478531

I know it's another message board, but I think the user that posted that is trustworthy.

Also, Cartoon Network still airs love action movies, but they've stopped making live action shows.

To be fair some of their live action movies aren't half bad.

At this point, CN is a lost cause and I lost all forms of respect to them. I gave them a chance, but when they brought up the PPG reboot is where they blew their chances of redeeming themselves. Nickelodeon isn't any better either; give it a few years or so and they'll end up shutting themselves down due to the constant decline of viewers as a result of their mediocre shows trying to appease younger and older viewers, which means, no more Nickelodeon.

• Brohoof 1

At this point, CN is a lost cause and I lost all forms of respect to them. I gave them a chance, but when they brought up the PPG reboot is where they blew their chances of redeeming themselves. Nickelodeon isn't any better either; give it a few years or so and they'll end up shutting themselves down due to the constant decline of viewers as a result of their mediocre shows trying to appease younger and older viewers, which means, no more Nickelodeon.

Wow, that's a little, uh, dark. To be fair while I am worried I don't think one or two show duds are going to kill the entire channel, It's still very successful in terms of profit from what I know. There's nothing wrong with appealing to multiple audiences either, but Nickelodeon is dead and gone already, Spongebob has been running for way too long and as a result has gotten stale, most of the new shows they bring out nowadays are either painfully mediocre, slightly above a pass or disgraceful, and I think they've really shot themselves in the foot.

Somebody watched the recent Saberspark video.

Yeah, with Adventure Time and Regular Show ending, along with probably The Amazing World of Gumball, cartoons seem to be going in a bad direction with the likes of Uncle Grandpa and Clarence replacing them. We Bare Bears is pretty good though, Steven Universe is still going strong and will continue for a few more years. The reboot of the Powerpuff Girls is meh.

It's obvious to see cartoons now aren't as good as the ones of the golden age, the late 1990s and early 2000s. Or maybe that's just nostalgia affecting our opinions, and we're just growing up and not finding current cartoons entertaining because of that.

Edited by Iove
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, with Adventure Time and Regular Show ending, along with probably The Amazing World of Gumball, cartoons seem to be going in a bad direction with the likes of Uncle Grandpa and Clarence replacing them.

Uncle Grandpa is ending. Still has a while to go, but it's ending.

• Brohoof 1

Somebody watched the recent Saberspark video.

Yeah, with Adventure Time and Regular Show ending, along with probably The Amazing World of Gumball, cartoons seem to be going in a bad direction with the likes of Uncle Grandpa and Clarence replacing them. We Bare Bears is pretty good though, Steven Universe is still going strong and will continue for a few more years. The reboot of the Powerpuff Girls is meh.

It's obvious to see cartoons now aren't as good as the ones of the golden age, the late 1990s and early 2000s. Or maybe that's just nostalgia affecting our opinions, and we're just growing up and not finding current cartoons entertaining because of that.

Right you are, friend.

I've never watched We Bare Bears, Clarence or Uncle Grandpa, but Steven Universe is definitely a big hit for me right now, I'm glad it looks we're a while from the end of that show. I hear Uncle Grandpa Isn't too bad though. PPG is just slightly on the level of meh.

Perhaps, though I think differently. Don't get me wrong, I've watched the older cartoons from the 80s and 90s and think they're really great, but since I was born in the time period, I've always had a slightly bigger affection towards the 2000's, although the later 2000's were a little disappointing obviously, that's when we hit the dark age I think, shows like Ben 10, Chowder, The Powerpuff Girls and Flapjack have always been close to my heart.

Uncle Grandpa is ending. Still has a while to go, but it's ending.

Is Uncle Grandpa REALLY that bad?