Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Absolute favorite music genre as of now?

Kaneki

If you're like me, you change your listening habits a lot. What music genre is currently your absolute favorite, and why? Do you think that genre will stick as a favorite genre or not, and if so, why is that?

Currently, I am really loving electronic dance music (EDM), which honestly I think may stick as a prominent type of music I ilke for me - I've listened to some in the past but now I'm getting more dedicated into it.

Rockabilly, 70's-80's blues, Traditional jazz music and pop jazz. old school musics rocks.

I used to crazed over; heavy metals, hard, ects metals. Still do, but it kinda just neutral  for me. Funny how my music's taste change as I get older.

Edited by Satrox

My favourite genre keeps changing, like all the time, but currently I listen to a lot of power metal like for example Rhapsody of Fire. But overall I guess I can say metal, as whole is my favourite genre overall. 

power metal and classical are tied and depend of my mood for me to enjoy them

like.. if im happy and full of energy ill listen to power metal
and when im tired or its really calm ill listen to classical :P

Metal will always and forever be my absolute favorite genre. What music I'm in the mood for is always changing but metal is always in my daily music fix. Lately Disarmonia Mundi, Death Angel and Amaranthe are the bands I listen to most but I'm feeling a hankering for new music soon.

Hard to say. I'll go with Rock, or maybe Hard Rock. I don't listen to Metal that often because I don't like grunting/screaming/growling/whatever all that much, and while I love Euphoric Trance I don't listen to it all that much anymore.

I'm absolutely into classical and opera lately, especially Mozart. I watched "Amadeus" by Miloš Forman somme time ago, decided to give Mozart a try, found a great rendition of "The Marriage Of Figaro" by Scottish Chamber Orchestra and I can't seem to get enough of it.

Video Game music, particularly from JRPGs. I still find little treasures here and there that I absolutely fall in love with. 

However, if I had to name a single piece of music that I've always loved and will always love...

Hard to say. I'll go with Rock, or maybe Hard Rock. I don't listen to Metal that often because I don't like grunting/screaming/growling/whatever all that much, and while I love Euphoric Trance I don't listen to it all that much anymore.

I don't get this kind of reasoning. Taking out vocals you still have the other instruments and tones with much harsher sound in rock and hard rock than other genres. Why do people suddenly draw the "harsh sound" line at vocals?

On top of that, how is it so many people still don't get that there is metal without harsh vocals? This is not the sole defining characteristic of metal.

I don't get this kind of reasoning. Taking out vocals you still have the other instruments and tones with much harsher sound in rock and hard rock than other genres. Why do people suddenly draw the "harsh sound" line at vocals?

On top of that, how is it so many people still don't get that there is metal without harsh vocals? This is not the sole defining characteristic of metal.

You're right. It's not the sole defining characteristic, and classifying all metal in such a way is unfair. However, the grumbling/shrieking vocals are the most standout defining characteristics of many metal songs. It's a generalization, but one where more "mainstream" metal doesn't do much to correct it. 

I like metal primarily for the instruments. They do crazier, more complex music than most other genres barring old school classical music. In fact, that complexity is actually a huge overlap between classical music and metal. I do tend to lean toward songs without lyrics, however, since to me screaming/screeching vocals can drown out the instruments and the melody, which are what I really want to hear. Oddly, however, I have less issue with any vocals that come off as lower, or more gutteral.

*shrug* I suppose I'm just more sensitive to intense high-pitched sounds. They really hurt my ears... Actual physical pain.

You're right. It's not the sole defining characteristic, and classifying all metal in such a way is unfair. However, the grumbling/shrieking vocals are the most standout defining characteristics of many metal songs. It's a generalization, but one where more "mainstream" metal doesn't do much to correct it. 

I like metal primarily for the instruments. They do crazier, more complex music than most other genres barring old school classical music. In fact, that complexity is actually a huge overlap between classical music and metal. I do tend to lean toward songs without lyrics, however, since to me screaming/screeching vocals can drown out the instruments and the melody, which are what I really want to hear. Oddly, however, I have less issue with any vocals that come off as lower, or more gutteral.

*shrug* I suppose I'm just more sensitive to intense high-pitched sounds. They really hurt my ears... Actual physical pain.

I think people just need to learn more about the genre before they write it off so easily. Most of the bands I listen to have little to no harsh vocals at all. Anyone who's ever listened to Kiuas, Dream Evil, Master Plan or Falconer would know there are plenty of bands out there that just as easily represent metal without using harsher vocals for those who aren't into it.

• Brohoof 1

I think people just need to learn more about the genre before they write it off so easily. Most of the bands I listen to have little to no harsh vocals at all. Anyone who's ever listened to Kiuas, Dream Evil, Master Plan or Falconer would know there are plenty of bands out there that just as easily represent metal without using harsher vocals for those who aren't into it.

You will find no argument from me in this case. Might need to look into Dream Evil. Don't think I ever heard of them.

• Brohoof 1

Currently I've been hooked on 80's style Synthwave/Retro Electro...Basically the stuff you hear in Far Cry: Blood Dragon and 80's Sci-fi movies.

80's was also one of my fave decades because of those big hair bands. I Just find that If I could revisit a decade, it'd be the 80s

I don't like those either. I'm not much for extremely harsh music and I never was. Anything that has a heavy, industrial sound to it I tend to dislike. In a lot of cases, for instance with the band Atreyu, I like the music and the parts where they sing normally, but I just don't like the incomprehensible screaming in the other parts.

Lastly, I simply suck at distinguishing between genres so I have no idea when something is Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock, Emo, Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal etc. I just like music with a clear melody and vocals and instrumentals that don't sound like they were forged in hell itself by an army of chainsmoking demons. I'm fine with songs about those things though.

I don't like those either. I'm not much for extremely harsh music and I never was. Anything that has a heavy, industrial sound to it I tend to dislike. In a lot of cases, for instance with the band Atreyu, I like the music and the parts where they sing normally, but I just don't like the incomprehensible screaming in the other parts.

Lastly, I simply suck at distinguishing between genres so I have no idea when something is Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock, Emo, Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal etc. I just like music with a clear melody and vocals and instrumentals that don't sound like they were forged in hell itself by an army of chainsmoking demons. I'm fine with songs about those things though.

You and I hear very different things apparently. What I hear from metal is very clear and often far more defined than most other music. I hear a song and I feel the force of a dragon riding through my veins, I feel like I could jump into the air and skyrocket through the heavens, as if the souls of all who came before me flow into me and spur me to be the best of the best and to handle myself with integrity and wisdom.

No other music can incite that kind of feeling in me. They make me feel emotion where there is none. Other music can barely hold on to a tune or come up with anything that even stands out in the slightest and is only there to accompany some primadonna vocalist who thinks they're all that and a bag of chips when 99% of them are talentless hacks.

You and I hear very different things apparently. What I hear from metal is very clear and often far more defined than most other music. I hear a song and I feel the force of a dragon riding through my veins, I feel like I could jump into the air and skyrocket through the heavens, as if the souls of all who came before me flow into me and spur me to be the best of the best and to handle myself with integrity and wisdom.

No other music can incite that kind of feeling in me. They make me feel emotion where there is none. Other music can barely hold on to a tune or come up with anything that even stands out in the slightest and is only there to accompany some primadonna vocalist who thinks they're all that and a bag of chips when 99% of them are talentless hacks.

That does make me wonder, what exactly do you listen to? I'd like to at least give it a try to see if I like it.

The above mentioned bands are some of the main ones.

Dream Evil, Kiuas, Falconer and Master Plan.

Others that aren't completely clean vocals are Amaranthe (minor harsh vocals but 99% clear ones and also some of the most amazing vocals), Five Finger Death Punch (kinda half and half on this one), Disturbed (he has his moments but is mostly considered clean) and Godsmack.

I know bands even with harsh vocals where the sound is very clear and concise. I don't like my music to sound like some garble of chaos so I'm not into certain metal genres where that's somewhat the point.

If there was any band I would have anyone new to metal listen to it's Master Plan. They're the closest thing to being the "everyband" or a metropolitan band that can appeal to just about anyone.

• Brohoof 1

IDM. Boards of Canada, Autechre, Tycho, Aphex Twin and Four Tet. 

Meditative and chilling are probably the most common words to describe IDM.

Edited by Tracer