Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is "Cute?"

Widdershins

Cute means sweet and kind, or coming off that way. Maybe feminine, a bit, and maybe small or simple looking. Honestly there is no single description, just something someone finds attractive, and has a caring feeling for.

Of course it is objective, like liking snakes. I find them extremely cute, but most people find them scary or ugly. Some things like ponies are more commonly found as cute.

Examples:

post-36168-0-79630900-1485143145_thumb.jpg

post-36168-0-65574800-1485143188.jpg

post-36168-0-29237400-1485143208_thumb.png

Edited by Namae

Aye, I do suppose much like beauty being in the eye of the beholder, cuteness is relative too. Done well enough anything can be made to look cute, even if its still clearly capable of eating you alive.

I sure do find most reptiles cute, and even if you don't... well...

Cute_clevergirls.png

and probably the most horrifying thing I can think of right now...

xenomorph_pony_by_inkwell_pony_d4h1ono.pA Xenomorph Pony!

This does bring to mind the time my sister first saw the MTG Rakdos card, the Carnival Hellsteed, which is some skinless, flaming, two-headed Nightmare Horse and called it cute... and she's usually the more cutesy of us!

• 1 year later...

@Bas 

What? Ravinica a Third time? Seems a bit overkill... like them saying 18 was the last coreset ever... and now we have 19 all of a sudden.

Just as well though, had a good Orzhov deck with their ghostie bosses and lost all them in a move.

But, to keep with the thread!

There is also the concept of Kowa-Kawaii. Finding things cute in spite of & because of the fact that they're clearly creepy. As example:

Kowa-Kawaii!.thumb.jpg.d45a4d9aa9bd6a9bb94ae12b26c6aa7c.jpg 

Yeh, they're being facehugged, but the cats seem okay with it. She's taking kind, good care of them! ... ...Xenoshy!

Though this does quite muddy the original spirit of the thread's question...

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

This right here, is the definition of cute. :wub:

rainbow_dash_squishy_cheeks_by_cloudyglo

omg yes! :wub:

I think cuteness brings out our instincts to protect and care for.

• 1 month later...

I surmise that cute equates to "needing to be taken care of." The cute characters I've seen tend to also be airheads that make rather boneheaded decisions. As wont I am. 

The more depressed one is, the more one holds less to their own decision making, therefore leading them to doing things others view as avoidable, or indeed, Cute. Those that're more prone to finding fault in themselves tend to overlook the capacity that such struggle only makes them more appealing to others. So put, we wouldn't have been writing stories wrought with constant struggle for the entire length of human culture, if we didn't want to be around those who tend to reflexively put themselves in struggle.

I theorize! Depression makes you Cuter, and therefore more attractive. Depression is an Evolutionary Trait!

Think a lot of those undermining their self confidence fail to see how cute it makes them. After all, the more introspective you are, the more emotionally available you are. It's hard to be truly ugly and also aware of your faults.