Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation What are things you do not like in a anime? or what's annoys you?

TBD

Weak characters. The ones that can't do anything and spend the entire show crying about how weak and useless they are *cough* Evangelion, Tokyo Ghoul S1 *cough* And the worst part is that they're the main protagonists...

Fanservice in a non ecchi anime.

Overreactions. 

Same animations for different battle scenes.

The done and killed love Triangle we see used over and over in all branches of anime/manga sadly.   Also school band themed anime and the boy/girl bands also that seem to popping up more and more with crappy style/over used CGI anime that just seems to kill the pace in the cell shading they use.    Sometimes it  can work in things we have seen such as Berserk which is a good example!

I have alot of gripes with modern day anime, but my largest one would have to be when there is a main/ supporting female character who the audience is supposed to like, despite them being extremely bitchy. Especially when the "bitchiness" is more passive aggressive in nature, and usually directed at a main male protagonist. Like The red-headed one in Steins:Gate or the long-haired chick in Bakemonogatari, the latter of which being the best possible example I can think of. 

• Brohoof 3

This is mostly in harem anime, but it does crop up elsewhere: the guy trying to act like the paragon of chastity. Even though all the girls are into him, he struggles to resist their advances, feeling any shame for any lewd thoughts, acting as pure and innocent as the driven snow. The definition of friendzoner. can only imagine what those girls think. "Is he playing hard to get? Did I do something wrong? Is he gay?". I'd move on if I were them.

In a similar vein, is this all to familiar scenario: protag guy walks in on scant girl, right? 

Two reactions from her:

A. Beats the piss out of him (My Hime, Negima, Asterisk War. etc) Usually done by the tsundere. Unless she finds herself a masochist, she's staying single. Not tapping that with a 10 ft poll.

Or B. Scant girl gives him the bedroom eyes and shows off what she's got, offering protag guy an invitation. (Rosario Vampire, Maburaho,  Asterisk War, etc.) What does protag guy usually do? Stutters, stumbles, and finds a reason to bolt. Accidentally walking in on her scantily clad or even naked is one thing. But when she not only doesn't mind, but clearly wants our male lead, only for the opritunity to be turned down, it seriously makes me question both the sexuality and the integrity of our lead. That's taking chastity and escalating it to coitophobia. 

What's worse, is imagine how our girl is feeling. She offered and exposed herself for him, only for our lead guy to run away. Not even a polite 'sorry, no thanks. I want to wait for marriage. etc' Just an exit in the most exaggerated way possible. I would be offended and insulted at best. Heartbroken and embarrassed at worst.

But then we come across another annoying trope. Said girl having the attention span of a gnat and forgetting it ever happened, continuing in her pursuit.  

It's kind of why I stay away from shows like that. They may have cute girls, but the male lead only pursues one, shuns the rest, yet acts like too much of a puritanical mama's boy to even get the ball rolling on soemthign like a date, let alone reaching home base. Protag guy get's thrust into every other guys fantasy. And doesn't capitalize. 

On a different note, is the protag guy himself. There's two types. The every boy with all the skill, knowledge, charm, charisma and superpowers in the world. And just the everyboy. Mild mannered, good hearted, but has shaky confidence, too nice and respectful for his own good, and tends to have his mind elsewhere otherthan interactions with the rest of the cast. (School Rumble, Kampfer, Claymore). 

I get that they're trying to make him relateble so that the audience imprints themselves onto him. The anime equivalent to the silent video game protagonist. But the idyllic every boy, is boring! Average Joe, is boring! And the common man/ teenager wouldn't act like that anyways. A character has traits, dreams, goals, ambitions, flaws, desires, etc. Half the lead guys in anime don't. Factory produced, lesser than life characters, thrown into situations they're not good enough for. 

Edited by Denim and Venom
  • Brohoof 2

Impenetrable mythology: These grand world constructs of society, bureaucracy, factions, eight different kinds of magic, or one kind with a thousand permutations and variations for the characters to inevitably forced gasp and "no one's ever used that technique before!" :o It feels more like a dramatic reading instructions on chess than a story we're meant to invest in. A layered world is not a bad thing but some anime handle there's like carrying a sandwich stacked to towering heights across a room to your table. Wobbling back and forth, struggling to keep it all from toppling over, and then expecting you to digest it all in one go. The anime that make it work either start out with a simple premise and/or treat the world as mainly background detail and get us to properly invest in the characters and their motivations and actions.

Inuyasha: Girl falls down a time travel well, meets a half-yokai boy, they travel fantasy Feudal Japan in search of Mcguffin pieces.

Ruroni Kenshin: Samurai takes an oath never to kill in the Meiji restoration.

• Brohoof 1

Characters where boobs are their only trait, or a significant trait

Also, dumb sexual situations that you see so much on modern anime. Namely:

>Boy falls on girl

>Face in boobs/butt

>Girl punches him into the stratosphere

• Brohoof 4

-The weak/helpless protagonist who always needs rescuing

-Extreme tsunderes. I could barely even get through two episodes of Toradora!

-Annoyingly hyper or extremely lewd side characters 

-Characters that are super edgy/overly emotional

Many things, to be honest. Amongst the most popular anime's (namely Sword Art Online and DragonBall Z),  they make the main character seem like they're waay too OP and this starts to become EXTREMELY repetitive. :dry:

(One Punch Man also comes into mind, buut that's meant to be a Troll anime :P)

Another thing I dont like is the overuse of sexual references. I'm sick and tired of seeing things like: "the guy sees a girl naked in the shower and she gets mad" or "the guy falls onto the girl and he touches her breasts".

I dont think it's funny. I just find it plain stupid and I see it in A LOT of modern anime's nowadays.

Another thing that bothers me sometimes is some Cringe-Worthy Facial Expressions (notably the one when the person goes insane)
Edited by SolarFlare13
  • Brohoof 1

A couple of things that annoy me:

1-The faster than light fighting scenes. You only see sparks, and blurs, with annoying shouting. Ugh, people complain about Michael Bay's shaky camera action sequences, but these are fine :dash:

2-The always overlypositive protagonist that suggest the most straightforward answer, and the show expects you to root for it :dry:

3-Gratuitous b00bz, butts, oh, now more interesting plot. Never mind, more of the other kind of plot :dash:

4-Maybe it's me, but most of the voices annoy me. I swear I heard the same type of hot-headed idiot hero protagonist voice everywhere. Also the high pitched genki girls :scots:  

• Brohoof 1

anime that have only thirteen episodes and leave you hanging on a great story.

#NoGameNoLife

Endings. Every anime I can think of has an ending that feels just terrible.

Clannad, Toradora, Welcome to the NHK!, Yama no Susume, Naruto, Ouran Koukou Host Club ...to name a few on top of my head. They all have good endings, imo. 

Also, dumb sexual situations that you see so much on modern anime. Namely:

>Boy falls on girl

>Face in boobs/butt

>Girl punches him into the stratosphere

The sexual situations is one of the things I do like in anime haha but when they set it up like you accurately describe it above it's just cringy.

-Extreme tsunderes. I could barely even get through two episodes of Toradora!

Not that I think you'll watch it anyway, but Taiga becomes a real little softie after the first couple of episodes.

Retarded main characters that don't realize when a girl likes him. In comedy series, I'm completely fine with this. But in drama shows that are supposed to be serious/realistic it's just annoying.

The childhood friend that suddenly comes back to rival with the main female character halfway through the story.

Flashbacks in <100 ep shows. For shows with a billion episodes like Naruto, I'm cool with flashbacks since it's easy to forget something that happened 200 episodes ago, but let's take Monster for example. That show has around 80 eps and they do the same flashback like twice every 10th episode, it gets kind of annoying.

Passive villains in action shows that allow the heroes to analyze their abilities and come up with a strategy before they attack. The heck?! If the bad guy was unsure of their powers, I could understand why they decide to observe their opponents before they make a move, but this happens a lot with villains that clearly have the advantage. Come on. (I'm looking at you Naruto)

Power/ability explanations that allow the opponent to figure out a way to beat them. (COUGH Naruto COUGH) I get it, you want to explain to the viewers but I'd rather get information of their powers beforehand for the good guys and after the battle for the bad.

• Brohoof 1

One of my peeves is when they have an episode (or four, Wolf's Rain... :okiedokieloki: )that is a recap in it's entirety. I've been watching the show, dammit, why do I need to be reminded of what I've already watched? If someone wants to drop in halfway through, it's their own darn fault they don't understand anything. It might have been okay in the days when catching shows as they air was the only way to see them, but these days there's no excuse.

man that really sucks when they recap if you've been watching the whole thing up to that point

• Brohoof 1

B**** girls or you call them Tsundere, like when a guy walk in a room and suddenley a girl was undress or naked, when guy try to apologise he get a black eye, same with girl accuse a guy for looking and him pervert when wind blow her skirt. Is it meant to be funny or something? Can't stand these girls.

Also a female character hit a guy when she walk in a room when guy naked or getting changed or saw guy naked/getting change when she appeared, why does female get to hit him? So annoying.

Edited by Adam Burt
  • Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...