Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Supermarket in Equestria

Firedog

So the new promo shows flurryheart in a shopping cart in a supermarket.

Ugh, I thought Equestria was meant to have a barter style economy with venders selling there crops around the streets. Like Applejack and basically every other episode shows.

I dislike how in season 6 they took elements of our world and copy and pasted them into the pony world. Appears we are getting more of that. 

Apparently supermarkets are a thing now.

Seems like the world of Equestria is slowly bit by bit (No pun attended) becoming more like our world. Which I dislike personally.

Clip below shows supermarket from new promo:

1 minute ago, Aurora Glimmer said:

I don't understand why people are up in arms about this: Equestria's level of technological and economic development has been inconsistent since day one.

I thought there system is pretty consistent. But the main reason I dislike it is simply because of its unoriginality. I mean the other episode show a unique economic system seperate from the one we live now at least. This is literally just a copy paste from shopping in our world :/ 

47 minutes ago, Firedog said:

I thought there system is pretty consistent. But the main reason I dislike it is simply because of its unoriginality. I mean the other episode show a unique economic system seperate from the one we live now at least. This is literally just a copy paste from shopping in our world :/ 

Is there any reason Equestria wouldn't have department stores or supermarkets?

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Aurora Glimmer said:

Is there any reason Equestria wouldn't have department stores or supermarkets?

I wasn't really pointing it out as a consistency problem. Rather a trend that seems to be happening from season 6 where the writers just copy and past stuff from our world into the pony world instead of developing a unique world.

But it still does seem inconsistent, considering people were bartering for food from venders before it doesn't make much sense if they just have a supermarket down the road :/ 

Edited by Firedog

8 minutes ago, Firedog said:

I wasn't really pointing it out as a consistency problem. Rather a trend that seems to be happening from season 6 where the writers just copy and past stuff from our world into the pony world instead of developing a unique world.

But it still does seem inconsistent, considering people were bartering for food from venders before it doesn't make much sense if they just have a supermarket down the road :/ 

so...um.....farming plows, quills, turntables, trains, etc. aren't copypasted from our world, either I guess. All of these have been seen since season 1. 

• Brohoof 2

I really don't have a problem with supermarkets in Equestria. The level of technology already makes little sense, considering you go from modern cities like Manehattan to stereotypical "wild West" towns like Appleloosa with just about everything in between. There is no concept of automobiles apart from carts, and as far as we know there aren't even telephones, yet somehow DJ Pon-3 has state-of-the-art DJ equipment.

I just accept that Equestria has a random mish mash of technology and refuse to question it. ;)

• Brohoof 5

The show has already had a random collection of levels of technology for a while now, so I don't see the need to be upset.

I mean Button Mash in Hearts and Hooves Day showed that there is some form of video games in Equestria, so I don't see a Supermarket being that hard to accept.

• Brohoof 2

Can we have internet in Equestria now? Can we have banks? Can we have credit card instead of coins and jewels? 

Random thoughts: Apple family need to open their supermarket, only apple related products ;) 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Buttonmash1973 said:

S7 could end like MLP Tales where ponies have phones and TV.

probably. They probably won't even use unicorn magic to power it. They probably just put up telephone lines running through ponyville and crap. 

Edited by Firedog

(edited)
2 hours ago, Firedog said:

probably. They probably won't even use unicorn magic to power it. They probably just put up telephone lines running through ponyville and crap. 

Maybe Earth Ponies invented the telephone? :toldya:

Edited by Aurora Glimmer

It also depends on where the super market is. Something that I have observed is that Ponyville is very similar to around the 1890s, while other places are more modern with modern technology. For example, Ponyville uses gramophones and plate cameras steam locomotive etc... , while other parts of Equestria use much more modern cameras. Markets in the 1890s were much more common then they are now, so it would make sense for that to be common in Ponyville. The super market may be in a different part of Equestria, since other parts are much more technologically advanced. 

(edited)

I just hope supermarkets are new to equestria or only few exist, it makes since even restaurants exist. Though idk how they would stop robberies unless they have royal gaurd there all day

Edited by llamalauncher

Welp, I was right about economy in Equestria when I was making my OC. Also, supermarkets would be a great thing in Equestria. But I hope they have an old cash-register, also..

Hasbro: QUICK! LET'S MAKE A SUPERMARKET SET AND MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT!!!

Honestly, this is no big deal. I bet Canterlot and Manehattan both have at least one heavy duty commercial district with a shopping mall in it that the writers aren't allowed to talk about.

On 4/2/2017 at 3:06 AM, Firedog said:

Ugh, I thought Equestria was meant to have a barter style economy with venders selling there crops around the streets. Like Applejack and basically every other episode shows.

They have currency or money. Gems also have some value. It isn't a strict barter system at all, but like 19th and early 20th century US, small farms may have had to rely on some form of barter to supplement income. 

Also, as far as grocery stores, welcome to 1916 and behold the glory of Piggly Wiggly

Spoiler

RNEwqKA.jpg

It isn't a big deal at all, even if they go with a more modern approach. Looking at the various stores and boutiques we have seen, there appears to be a bit of a fusion of modern and early 20th century design and decor. Also, if there is a budding fascination with grocery stores in the fandom, please let me know. This would be the perfect excuse for me to heavily talk up the genuis of Updike's A&P

;)

• 1 month later...