Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hello! So I haven't been on here in a while mostly because I stopped remembering mlp was a thing I enjoyed and recently started it up again. I'm actually still very new to the fandom and I dunno, I just have some concerns that have been bugging me a lot lately. I've already mentioned my worries about the fandom fading, and I got plenty of responses to that that made me feel so much better. But I'm coming back again to this fandom and feeling that same feeling of wanting to be a part of the bigger thing. You know, to hang out with and talk to other fans and make art and go to conventions and such. But my past experience with attempting to participate and maybe get to know other fans (besides on here) has been kinda... well... just bad. Lots of people aren't very kind or welcoming and I felt out of place and kinda disappointed to see some of the concerns/complaints I've heard going around about this fandom are kinda true. And I'm sure that's not true for all the fandom! Which is kinda why I'm posting here. I'm hoping to meet some people that maybe are a little more welcoming. I'm kind of just stuck now between wanting to join in in something I like and wanting to stay away because of some unpleasant experiences. I thought I could try staying away from the fandom stuff and just enjoying the show on my own, but it's just really lonely. To be quite honest, I'm kinda scared to be posting here too (even though I've yet to have a bad experience on this forum, which is wonderful). I dunno maybe my concerns are dumb, I just am really wishing that there's some part of this fandom I was excited to be a part of that is actually a bit more pleasant to be around. I'm very sorry if this seems rude or stupid

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, PleasantPetrichor said:

Hello! So I haven't been on here in a while mostly because I stopped remembering mlp was a thing I enjoyed and recently started it up again. I'm actually still very new to the fandom and I dunno, I just have some concerns that have been bugging me a lot lately. I've already mentioned my worries about the fandom fading, and I got plenty of responses to that that made me feel so much better. But I'm coming back again to this fandom and feeling that same feeling of wanting to be a part of the bigger thing. You know, to hang out with and talk to other fans and make art and go to conventions and such. But my past experience with attempting to participate and maybe get to know other fans (besides on here) has been kinda... well... just bad. Lots of people aren't very kind or welcoming and I felt out of place and kinda disappointed to see some of the concerns/complaints I've heard going around about this fandom are kinda true. And I'm sure that's not true for all the fandom! Which is kinda why I'm posting here. I'm hoping to meet some people that maybe are a little more welcoming. I'm kind of just stuck now between wanting to join in in something I like and wanting to stay away because of some unpleasant experiences. I thought I could try staying away from the fandom stuff and just enjoying the show on my own, but it's just really lonely. To be quite honest, I'm kinda scared to be posting here too (even though I've yet to have a bad experience on this forum, which is wonderful). I dunno maybe my concerns are dumb, I just am really wishing that there's some part of this fandom I was excited to be a part of that is actually a bit more pleasant to be around. I'm very sorry if this seems rude or stupid

Just remember that you've got people like me who are extremely nice and understanding people. You can seriously call me a friend here but still if you have any more bad experiences here on the forums then feel free to talk to me about it! :)

• Brohoof 1

Some of the bronies on YouTube can get a bit extreme and alot of them can't take a joke vid :/ it sucks but there's always the bad apples in every fandom.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎4‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:45 AM, PleasantPetrichor said:

I'm kind of just stuck now between wanting to join in in something I like and wanting to stay away because of some unpleasant experiences.

To be quite honest, I'm kinda scared to be posting here too (even though I've yet to have a bad experience on this forum, which is wonderful).

I just am really wishing that there's some part of this fandom I was excited to be a part of that is actually a bit more pleasant to be around.

I, personally, have been on these forums for almost a year now, and have never gotten caught up in or affected by any sort of flame war, hostility, or conflict during my interactions here.

Granted, I intentionally stay away from the Debate Pit and the more, shall we say, raucous discussion topics, but MLP Forums still far exceeds all other forum websites I've been on in its friendliness, welcoming attitude, and pleasantness in conversation and banter.

Hope this allays some of your worries. Have a good stay here, and if you want to ask anyone anything, I'm always open! :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

On 7/3/2017 at 1:45 PM, PleasantPetrichor said:

You should be perfectly fine. I've learned a lot in my time here, and one of the things I've learned is that you get back what you put in. If your approach to people is well intentioned, pleasant, and open minded you will find that repaid in kind. 

Problems usually only surface when you bring too much salt to the table. I would recommend staying out of Debate Pit if you are concerned with tone. Also, some topic titles in the show and fandom discussions will give you a heads up if the discussion may turn caustic. That's one great thing about this place, you typically know what you are getting into when you enter a specific thread, so you can avoid any unpleasantness if you are so inclined. 

Hope you stick around. :)

• Brohoof 2

Well, I've only had ONE negative instance in my two years since I've joined this forum. I know it was negative because I didn't read the post before it was deleted and the user subsequently banned  :D . Other than that, most of these people are pure chill ;) . In real life however..... I have yet to meet one :please:

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Other than that, most of these people are pure chill ;) . In real life however..... I have yet to meet one :please:

It is true in person too.

MLPF members IRL

tumblr_inline_mplfukMe5f1qz4rgp.png

• Brohoof 3

In all the time I've been here on the forums I've only had maybe one annoying run-in (which is amazing, considering the track record of other forums I've been on). But that's just the way life is. No matter where you go there will be nice people and not-nice people. The only thing to do is to avoid the areas you expect might lead to unwanted confrontations. As mentioned in several posts already, it's a good idea to avoid the Debate Pit. People in there get a bit passionate and, unless you're into that, it could lead to a less enjoyable experience. I avoid it like the plague and I'm much happier for it. The vast majority of the ponies here are extremely friendly and welcoming. In many instances, if something gets me down I can rely on an incredible outpouring of love and support from the community here. It's astonishing how sweet they all are! My advice is to relax, kick off your shoes and settle right in here. Don't worry and I know you'll have a great time and make lots of friends. Welcome to the MLP Forums! :fluttershy: 

• Brohoof 1

I hear stories upon stories of people who say they've had bad experiences with people in the fandom, and I'm sorry to hear that, but my experience has been the exact opposite.  Everyone I've met in the fandom, either in real life (mostly at BronyCAN), or on the forums has been warm and welcoming, and unlike a lot of other fandoms I don't get so much of a whiff of elitism, which is great!  I don't want to be respected because I've posted a lot here, or have become a mod in the last year or so.  I want to be respected because I'm a fan just like the rest of you and we're all here to discuss the same thing, and that's exactly what I've felt.

I'm actually kind of sad that the con I attend every year is ending.  Some people are saying cold things like "another one bites the dust, good riddance", or unfortunate things like "I've had a bad experience at cons so I don't care that it's ending", but my experience with BronyCAN has been all positive.  In my first year attending I was even in line with someone who went around to all the cons he could and got all the signatures he could, and I was just a new fan, and neither he or anyone else made me feel unwelcome.

Regardless of what the future holds for the fandom, I intend on staying right here on this forum, which is where I can interact with the Brony community throughout the year, and no one has made me feel unwelcome here either.  I've heard there was a horrible spat going on among the staff not too long ago, but I chose to stay out of it as my main concern was this forum staying up and continuing to be a great place to discuss Ponies.  Maybe I'm just naturally resistant to getting pulled into drama, but once that blew over, and even while it was going on, things seemed to be just fine on the forum.  Maybe this fandom isn't perfect, but none are, and I can tell you I'd rather have a lengthy discussion with Bronies than with gamers in this day and age...

• Brohoof 1