Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Starlight Glimmer older than the Mane Six?

Azureth

8 hours ago, Prospekt said:

But who says a mentor must be older? Starlight and Twilight have had very different life experiences and maturity does not always equal age. And I find it hard to believe that a pony who only recently reached adulthood could set up a community like her village and manipulate all her fellow villagers into following her like a cult leader.

I understand that maturity isn't an accurate gauge of age but it's just something about Starlight that makes her seem younger for me. For her to learn and to overcome so much due to her past and her current struggles makes her determined. I see that her portrayal of wanting to learn and eagerness resonates well with being a student who is still learning. It's good that with all of the lessons she learned it was put forward towards her psychological maturity. 

• 5 months later...

The only hint about SGs age is that her friend Sunburst went to Celestia's school the same as Twilight did, but Twilight didn't know him. This shows that he is significantly older or younger than Twilight (& by implication, so is SG). I'm going with "older", maybe not 10 years older but at least 5

Just now, sweetolebob18 said:

The only hint about SGs age is that her friend Sunburst went to Celestia's school the same as Twilight did, but Twilight didn't know him.

Two things: one, the show never says he went to school at the same time as Twilight, so it’s equally possible that he’s younger or older than her. 

And two, Twilight not remembering him isn’t much proof of anything. She couldn’t even remember her best friends from school’s names. 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Two things: one, the show never says he went to school at the same time as Twilight, so it’s equally possible that he’s younger or older than her. 

And two, Twilight not remembering him isn’t much proof of anything. She couldn’t even remember her best friends from school’s names. 

Well, yes, but he didn't remember her either & I'd assume that growing a dragon large enough to knock a hole in the roof + being Celestia's personal student would draw at least some attention. I said "the same as Twilight did" not "the same time as Twilight did"

16 minutes ago, sweetolebob18 said:

Well, yes, but he didn't remember her either & I'd assume that growing a dragon large enough to knock a hole in the roof + being Celestia's personal student would draw at least some attention. I said "the same as Twilight did" not "the same time as Twilight did"

Well if anything, it’s still just as likely that he’s younger if he doesn’t remember a dragon growing through the ceiling. If he was older it would be even weirder that he doesn’t remember. 

8 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I’ve always thought the Mane Six spanned ages between early to late 20s, with Rarity beingthe eldest. So I could see Starlight being around the same age as Rarity.

The age of the Mane 6 is another thread. However, IMO their ages (during the pilot) were probably AJ 17 (or 25), Dash 17, Flutturshy 18-19, Pinkie 1 year younger than Fluttershy, Rarity 20ish, Twilight 15-17 (or 25-26, depending on "What year of schooling did she start C's school?" ) (Reasons in the other thread)

So, SG could be in her early 20s

As far as age is concerned... By season seven they would have to be in their mid to upper 20's. Maud got her Rockterate so i think it's safe to say she's 26. Pinkie is younger but she can't be to much younger than that. Fluttershy is one year older than pinkie but she has a brother slacking in school. I think it's safe to say he's 22-24ish... which I think how old Rainbow is. Rainbow loves cider and had a birthday cake with 21 candles in season 4 so I would say she's 24 in season 7. This means that Fluttershy in turn can't be younger than 24 or older than 26. This in turn means that Pinky is 23-25.

Now... we know Apple Jack and Rarity are the oldest in the group. Rarity age is pretty high because she was shown as a fully grown pony when sweetie bell was five. Now... consider that applejack parents didn't show up in her flashback then that means that her sister is already born. There no real way to say how long it's been since they all gotten their cutiemark but let's say it's been 10 years. That makes Applejack sister 10 at the beginning of the show and Sweetie bells the same. At minimum that means she was around 16-18 when Sweetiebell was 5 and 21-23 when the show started.  I think it's been about 5 years since the start so i would say she is 26-28. Applejack has to be either slightly older or younger because she says she was last in her class to... referring that Rarity was not in the same class. I would guess older though so 27-29.

Now Twilight is the hardest to guess at all. She seem to act a lot older in the later seasons and was giving seminars in what looked like a college at the end of season 5 so i would say she's older than 22 in season 5. Season 5 - 7 is huge time jumps compared to the first four. I want to say it's about 3 years. Twilight is at least 25 in season 7.

Starlight seems to be younger than them and older than them at the same time. When she was a villian... she seemed older. When she turned good... she seemed younger. I will go with younger since the show seems to point to it more. She thought her friend was a powerful wizard and super important at that point by then so she would have to be the age completely out of school... which is usually 18-22... but she's twilight pupil... and treated younger than her which would put her under 25.

Here are the ages I personally think they are. 

Twilight 27 

Pinky 25

Fluttershy 26

Rarity 28

Applejack 29

Rainbow Dash 24

Starlight Glimmer 22

Mind you... this is all head canon. I had to make up most of it for it to even make since but i went with how the show make me feel how old they are.

I don't think she is, but really, we don't know a whole lot about anyone's age. All I know for sure is that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie, but how everyone else relates to each other, no clue. I always group every pony who is more or less part of the mane group into the same age bracket. For instance, I also see Sunset as being not much older than Twilight, despite the scene in the comics where Sunset is seen as she usually is, and Twilight's in the background as a little filly.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I always got this sense she was a young pony trying to act like an older pony. But thanks to Twilights help and understanding, she's gone back to acting her real age, a pony just coming oUT of her teens . (19-20)

And it fits. Her village was only about a couple months old when the Mane 6 arrived. Timeline for me:

18----- Starlight leaves homes and goes about setting up her village.

19---Driven from her village by Mane 6

20-- Time Travel, redemption, than becoming Twilight's pupil

Meaning she was still technically a child/teen living at home when the first 3 seasons were happening. Left home around the start of season 4. Started building her village around the midpoint of season 4. ( Maud Pie flashback did show the village still in the process of being built sometime after season 4 episode 18)

Actually, she might actually be close to Spike's age, if slightly older, which might be why she gets along with him so well and kind of treats him with a little more respect than the Mane 6 .

Edited by titanhades70
  • Brohoof 1

I thought she was older upon her first appearance. Her look and demeanor just gave off this sense of maturity which I associate with seniority, but that could just be a side effect of her confidence. Her relationship as Twilight's pupil doesn't come off as a normal one, as there's this understanding of being evenly matched and learning lessons from each other. So either she's the same age or a little older. Someone such as Sunset Shimmer is definately older, I'd say closer to Cadence's age.

• 4 years later...

I feel like she’s younger since she was Twilight’s student and she shows signs of not being fully mature yet, like goofing around with magic to solve her problems (I realize anyone can do this, but the way she does it can be seen as immature and something that a young person would be prone to do).

• Brohoof 1

I say yes, but not that much. Starlight and Sunburst are around the same age. He went to Celestia's school, but he and Twilight didn't know each other. He left the school before Twilight joined, that's why.

On 2022-04-22 at 1:52 PM, ExplosionMare said:

I feel like she’s younger since she was Twilight’s student and she shows signs of not being fully mature yet, like goofing around with magic to solve her problems (I realize anyone can do this, but the way she does it can be seen as immature and something that a young person would be prone to do).

I think it just took her a little longer to grow up in spirit. Before meeting Twilight and her friends, she was basically on her own, there was no one she could seriously talk to. Her father was there, but you know her relationship with him. :coco: