Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler We may know the writer for the finale... (spoiler)

Unlikeable Pony

1 minute ago, ShootingStar159 said:

I really liked The rainbow power in Rainbow Rocks, it was really understated compared to the S4 finale.

I don't like EQG giving the girls the same powers as the mane 6, like those bargain bin Elements of Harmony in Legend of Everfree

Just now, ShootingStar159 said:

*shrug* To each their own.

The design of the rainbow power was certainly better, and I liked that scene in general, I just think it's weird how these Tree of Harmony related powers are just going to them, it wouldn't be a problem if it was explained a little better.

4 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

I don't like EQG giving the girls the same powers as the mane 6, like those bargain bin Elements of Harmony in Legend of Everfree

Would you rather they have not had the girls specifically have any magic except the (poorly defined) ability to create a rainbow? :P

Its less spectacular but also less confusing with "what can they can cannot they do" now with their abilities IMO.

Grant Morrison's run with JLA made Batman the most awesome member of the team, without making him hyper competent or turning the others into idiots. Now I realize Josh Haber isn't Grant Morrison, but I respect him enough to believe that he can think of uses for skills beyond 'raw power'. Fluttershy in particular is a whole bundle of abilities Twilight could only dream of, Rarity and Rainbow Dash still have Twilight beat on combat skill and athleticism, Rarity is far better at telekinesis and has a sharper eye for detail, and Pinkie Pie makes so little sense at this point that I wouldn't bat an eyelid if she could beat Discord by herself.

And Applejack likes apples. 

Just now, Unlikeable Pony said:

Would you rather they have not had the girls specifically have any magic except the (poorly defined) ability to create a rainbow? :P

Its less spectacular but also less confusing with "what can they can cannot they do" now with their abilities IMO.

Well, in Rainbow Rocks it was more acceptable, they are parallel versions of the main 6 so I suppose they can use the friendship inside of them to create a giant rainbow god horse

But I really, REALLY don't get the geodes, they look like elements, they act like elements, but they are clearly not the elements of harmony.

For Legend of Everfree, I would have rathered they used there specific magic to defeat Gloriosa and not the geodes.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Philweasel said:

Rarity is far better at telekinesis

WAT.

Seriously, have you seen the crap twilight can do with telekinesis? She grabs entire rooms of people and holds them still at the drop of a hat. (Castle sweet castle and Hoof fields and McCoys) and has done incredibly complicated telekinesis shows (see magic duel when she's doing aerial shows with fluttershy's animals), not to mention the raw strength of her telekinesis (in how much she can lift, or rebuilding the dam in seconds)

Rarity is more social and good at fashion, but rarity is definitely at the shallow end of the magical pool compared to twilight-- the only time she's been halfway comparable is with either radiance power or the inspiration manifestation powers, both of which were powered explicitly by creativity.

as for other "combat abilities", rarity has kicked someone, and that's it-- Its not really anything special, combat wise.

945414__safe_screencap_amethyst+star_amira_angel+bunny_apple+cobbler_apple+honey_bon+bon_cherry+berry_cloud+kicker_daisy_derpy+hooves_dizzy+twister_flo.png

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

Well, in Rainbow Rocks it was more acceptable, they are parallel versions of the main 6 so I suppose they can use the friendship inside of them to create a giant rainbow god horse

But I really, REALLY don't get the geodes, they look like elements, they act like elements, but they are clearly not the elements of harmony.

For Legend of Everfree, I would have rathered they used there specific magic to defeat Gloriosa and not the geodes.

I don't think there is a significant distinction. The seven girls each gained one pony-like ability (well, apart from pinkie, although I guess it could be related to Pony Pinkie's Party Cannon) and it was pretty much stated that came from the geodes. If they are not wearing their geode, they can't use their new ability, which opens plenty of paths for the writers, but the actual abilities aren't really that extreme - Twi has telekinesis (which of course Pony Twi is good at), Flutters gets Speak to Animals, AJ gets strength, Rarity gets a shield ability (which Twi, Starlight and Shining Armour all have variants on, so is clearly within Unicorn abilities) and RD gets speed. Sunset's contact telepathy isn't something we have really seen ponyside, but seems both reasonable and fairly limited.  Each of the girls had "ponied up" before she got the geode, and getting their individual geode seems more to have given them a snazzy new outfit than anything practical - the final light show seemed more related to their usual "beat the end of level boss with a magical rainbow" than the geodes, and of course Twi actually resolved the problem with her Telekinesis by taking the geodes away from Gloriosa.

15 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I don't think there is a significant distinction. The seven girls each gained one pony-like ability (well, apart from pinkie, although I guess it could be related to Pony Pinkie's Party Cannon) and it was pretty much stated that came from the geodes. If they are not wearing their geode, they can't use their new ability, which opens plenty of paths for the writers, but the actual abilities aren't really that extreme - Twi has telekinesis (which of course Pony Twi is good at), Flutters gets Speak to Animals, AJ gets strength, Rarity gets a shield ability (which Twi, Starlight and Shining Armour all have variants on, so is clearly within Unicorn abilities) and RD gets speed. Sunset's contact telepathy isn't something we have really seen ponyside, but seems both reasonable and fairly limited.  Each of the girls had "ponied up" before she got the geode, and getting their individual geode seems more to have given them a snazzy new outfit than anything practical - the final light show seemed more related to their usual "beat the end of level boss with a magical rainbow" than the geodes, and of course Twi actually resolved the problem with her Telekinesis by taking the geodes away from Gloriosa.

Kind of wish pinkie had gained the Random ability to summon party cannons out of thin air instead :P (with them just kind of poomphing out of existence afterward)

Absurdly random, but perfectly in character for her.

6 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

WAT.

Seriously, have you seen the crap twilight can do with telekinesis? She grabs entire rooms of people and holds them still at the drop of a hat. (Castle sweet castle and Hoof fields and McCoys) and has done incredibly complicated telekinesis shows (see magic duel when she's doing aerial shows with fluttershy's animals), not to mention the raw strength of her telekinesis (in how much she can lift, or rebuilding the dam in seconds)

Yeah, I meant fine control, though I guess you're right that Twilight has demonstrated that.

And honestly Twilight has never overly impressed me in combat. She always blatantly telegraphs her attacks, her aim is appalling, and her reaction time sucks.

Rarity on the other hand has always impressed me whenever things get physical.

(edited)
23 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

It sum up my problems with Twilight Kingdom, the other mane 5 are useless beside Rainbow Power Triggers. i remember someone mentioned about a finale for 'Mane 6', they mentioned Twilight Kingdom... what a joke... Some people hates S6 finale because it's not "Mane 6", then praise Twilight Kingdom, a finale made solely for Twilight's character development...

Twilight's kingdom should be done this way:

Tirek and Discord captured the mane 6. Tirek promised to Discord that he wouldn't harm Fluttershy. He does, but he takes the magic from the others. Tirek and Twilight battle it out. He offers the deal and she agrees. But after he sucked Twilight's alicorn magic, he takes Fluttershy's magic too. Discord talks to the mane 6. He gives the medaillon to Twilight who forgives Discord. Discord battles Tirek.

This would make Discords reformation much more interesting and gives other characters the chance to be awesome. :orly:

Edited by Hierok

1 minute ago, Hierok said:

Twilight's kingdom should be done this way:

Tirek and Discord captured the mane 6. Tirek promised to Discord that he wouldn't harm Fluttershy. He does, but he takes the magic from the others. Tirek and Twilight battle it out. He offers the deal and she agrees. But after he sucked Twilight's alicorn magic, he takes Fluttershy's magic too. Discord talks to the mane 6. He gives the medaillon to Twilight who forgives Discord. Discord battles Tirek.

This would make Discords reformation much more interesting. :orly:

So the whole "Look my love, look at this world I built just for us!" kind of premise?

Eh.......that kind of makes Discord look worse actually. He is willing to put all of Equestria at risk only if his waifu is left unharmed. At least with Discord being double crossed with his own magic he is suffering just as much as he made everyone else suffer. It was funny in To Where and Back Again because if he wasn't going to help the other three still could have saved them. Here he isn't helping either side just himself with only one hope left that he already sold out. Unless when you said "he takes the magic from the others" and that includes Discord, he is not only getting away from this battle unharmed but also putting the others in even more distress by singling them out.

Discord was fine in Twilight's Kingdom, and your premise still has the rest of the six-sans Fluttershy-tossed to the wayside until Rainbow Power time.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Hierok said:

This would make Discords reformation much more interesting and gives other characters the chance to be awesome.

Noooooooo, not like this :blush: Discord already got more focus and development than the mane 6 in that finale, your idea doesnt fix one problem of Twilight Kingdom, the other mane 5 were just there and did nothing significant. I want the other mane 5 get the attentions that they deserved. 

I hope S7 finale can fix it.

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

So the whole "Look my love, look at this world I built just for us!" kind of premise?

Eh.......that kind of makes Discord look worse actually. He is willing to put all of Equestria at risk only if his waifu is left unharmed. At least with Discord being double crossed with his own magic he is suffering just as much as he made everyone else suffer. It was funny in To Where and Back Again because if he wasn't going to help the other three still could have saved them. Here he isn't helping either side just himself with only one hope left that he already sold out. Unless when you said "he takes the magic from the others" and that includes Discord, he is not only getting away from this battle unharmed but also putting the others in even more distress by singling them out.

Discord was fine in Twilight's Kingdom, and your premise still has the rest of the six-sans Fluttershy-tossed to the wayside until Rainbow Power time.

Good points. I just want Discord had a better redemption arc. 

:grin:

1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

Noooooooo, not like this :blush: Discord already got more focus and development than the mane 6 in that finale, your idea doesnt fix one problem of Twilight Kingdom, the other mane 5 were just there and did nothing significant. I want the other mane 5 get the attentions that they deserved. 

I hope S7 finale can fix it.

You mean like they get involved in the fight? :confused: Does that make sense? They couldn't do much against Tirek tho.

45 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Good points. I just want Discord had a better redemption arc. 

:grin:

You mean like they get involved in the fight? :confused: Does that make sense? They couldn't do much against Tirek tho.

I think that's largely because it WAS a boss fight. Canterlot wedding fight against the changelings let the whole team pitch in, although they didn't really bring any of their unique talents to it. Other than re-using the Dream Realm fight sequence though, I don't see how they can pitch in much even against Shadow ponies...

• Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I think that's largely because it WAS a boss fight. Canterlot wedding fight against the changelings let the whole team pitch in, although they didn't really bring any of their unique talents to it. Other than re-using the Dream Realm fight sequence though, I don't see how they can pitch in much even against Shadow ponies...

That's what I mean. Twilight is the only one who came oppose them. Luckely she now has Starlight and Discord by her side. :twi:

1 minute ago, Hierok said:

That's what I mean. Twilight is the only one who came oppose them. Luckely she now has Starlight and Discord by her side. :twi:

Probably not a good time to point out she thought she had Discord by her side that time, too?

• Brohoof 1

You mean in Twilight's kingdom? Discord was against her, remember?

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

Probably not a good time to point out she thought she had Discord by her side that time, too?

I definitly schould have pointed that out.

Just now, Hierok said:

You mean in Twilight's kingdom? Discord was against her, remember?

I definitly schould have pointed that out.

He was, yes. But initially he was sent to track down Tirek, who talked him into changing sides.

Clearly not the most reliable of allies.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CypherHoof said:

He was, yes. But initially he was sent to track down Tirek, who talked him into changing sides.

Clearly not the most reliable of allies.

You have a point there, but remember.

Back in the days he actually only had Fluttershy. Now he has Fluttershy, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Spike and Big Mac as friends. Friendship is more important for him now. Back then freedom was something he missed really hard from his old life. ;)

Just now, Hierok said:

You have a point there, but remember.

Back in the days he actually only had Fluttershy. Now he has Fluttershy, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Spike and Big Mac as friends. Friendship is more important for him now. Back then freedom was something he missed really hard from his old life. ;)

You could well be correct - while he already had Flutters back then (in fact, he even tells Tirek his friendship was mostly for Fluttershy, even though he HAD already given Twi the bookmarked journal) he seemed genuinely touched that Twi saved him from Tirek (earning her Key, of course) and seems genuinely fond of Trixie now too. I imagine helping him get his Waifu back earned some serious brownie points for the rest of Team Starlight in that Eps. Still he IS Discord, so randomness is an essential part of his being (and reliability therefore not so much)

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CypherHoof said:

You could well be correct - while he already had Flutters back then (in fact, he even tells Tirek his friendship was mostly for Fluttershy, even though he HAD already given Twi the bookmarked journal) he seemed genuinely touched that Twi saved him from Tirek (earning her Key, of course) and seems genuinely fond of Trixie now too. I imagine helping him get his Waifu back earned some serious brownie points for the rest of Team Starlight in that Eps. Still he IS Discord, so randomness is an essential part of his being (and reliability therefore not so much)

Correct. The one thing you must do is make his friends go, and he will join. If he sees even Fluttershy is brave enough, he will not hesitate to fight. As long as nobody offers him a better deal that is. :grin:

36 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Correct. The one thing you must do is make his friends go, and he will join. If he sees even Fluttershy is brave enough, he will not hesitate to fight. As long as nobody offers him a better deal that is. :grin:

Well yeah, I pity the fool (sorry, channeling Mr T there) who endangers Flutters in any way.  That said, where IS Chrysalis these days? :)

• Brohoof 1

57 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Well yeah, I pity the fool (sorry, channeling Mr T there) who endangers Flutters in any way.  That said, where IS Chrysalis these days? :)

I actually hoped Discord was going after her. :D

• Brohoof 1