Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Over How Long A Period Does The Show Take Place?

Harratot33

(edited)

What I mean is - assuming each episode occurs after the events of the previous one - how much time is between Friendship Is Magic Part 1 and The Perfect Pear? In a fanfiction I'm writing at the moment (my first one!), it's been seven years since Celestia dispatched Twilight to Ponyville and four years since the events of "Magical Mystery Cure" (how much time has passed in the real world), but thinking about it this can't be the case, as the ages of the CMC haven't visibly changed at all and for various other reasons...

Edited by Harratot33

(edited)

Season four, episode one; Celestia mentions that for the first time, the Summer Sun Celebration is a reason for her to celebrate now that Luna was returned to her. The show starts with Nightmare Moon capturing Celestia at the SSC.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 1

We've had 3 different Hearth's Warming Eve episodes, so I'd say the series has to take place as of yet at least over 3 years. The episodes don't exactly occur in order though, if things are to make sense at least a few of them have to occur before certain other episodes. Like how in "Tanks For the Memories" RD says it's her first winter with Tank, but previously "Hearth's Warming Eve" came after "May the Best pet win". Equestria Girls if you want to count it only muddles things further though, and the babies ages too.

I'd say a bit more than 3 years though. Maybe 3 and a half/4 at most.

• Brohoof 3

22 minutes ago, RareBase said:

We've had 3 different Hearth's Warming Eve episodes, so I'd say the series has to take place as of yet at least over 3 years. The episodes don't exactly occur in order though, if things are to make sense at least a few of them have to occur before certain other episodes. Like how in "Tanks For the Memories" RD says it's her first winter with Tank, but previously "Hearth's Warming Eve" came after "May the Best pet win". Equestria Girls if you want to count it only muddles things further though, and the babies ages too.

I'd say a bit more than 3 years though. Maybe 3 and a half/4 at most.

7 is way too many hahaha maybe if they get up to Season 12 or something...

The events of the very first episode all the way up to the season 4 premiere all took place in one year, that is the easy part.

Season 5 had a Christmas episode with Hearthbreakers, but season 6 also had a Christmas episode in A Hearth's Warming Tale, so I can assume that another year had passed between those two episodes.

So at the very least 2 whole years have passed within the show's universe.

At this point maybe it could be somewhere between 2 and half to 3 years.

• Brohoof 1

I dunno who much passes between episodes, but they aren't consistent. As stated above, a mere year passed between S1 and S4 with the summer sun celebration alone. S5 had a Heartwarming Eve episode, and so did S6, so it's possible that a year passed between those two also 

• Brohoof 1

I'm almost certain "Best Night Ever" occurred just before "Magical Mystery Cure". The series timeline is super weird.

At the very least it has to have taken place after "Hearths Warming Eve", as according to one of the books it is the anniversary of the meeting where the three tribes actually hashed out how they were actually going to rule their new country.

• Brohoof 2

mid season episodes don't happen in order most of the time. May the Best Pet Win clearly takes place after Hearths Warming Eve in season 2.

The only thing we know about order is that every season takes place after the last and all 2 parters take place after each other.

In terms of how much time has passed, seems to be 3-5 years now.

8 hours ago, Philweasel said:

I'm almost certain "Best Night Ever" occurred just before "Magical Mystery Cure". The series timeline is super weird.

At the very least it has to have taken place after "Hearths Warming Eve", as according to one of the books it is the anniversary of the meeting where the three tribes actually hashed out how they were actually going to rule their new country.

I'm guessing this is because Sweet and Elite mentions the Grand Galloping Gala is coming up. But how do we reconcile Blueblood's interactions with Rarity in that episode with the fact that she meets him for the first time in Best Night Ever? (There might be other issues too; Blueblood just comes to mind for me immediately because I like Blueblood)

My thinking was just that at the time of Sweet and Elite the writers hadn't decided on S4's "only one year has passed" thing. Notice that after the S4 premiere, we start seeing repeats of annual events (both as actual episode focuses, and as throwaway lines, such as the mention of the zap apple harvest in... some S4 episode).

(edited)

Didn't somebody say that every in between season is 6 moons? So if Season 1 to Season 4 is 1 year than that would mean 18 moons = 1 year. So by Season 7 at least 2 years should have passed. So I guess every 3 seasons is 1 year.

Edited by Nohate

• 4 months later...