Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Romance in MLP.

CastletonSnob

Tossing aside wish fulfilment and looking at actually possible couplings ... 

Big Mac and Sugar Belle are probably getting married. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a Mane character entering a relationship, I just know all hell may break loose. Starlight and Sunburst may work. I can also see Rarity finding someone who isn't a caricature. Maybe that balloon pony Twisty? 

Huh? I think I just crossed enough lines with one post. I will show myself out. 

Although it is not impossible, I don't see it happening. By introducing relationships for the main characters the writers know they will be going even father into infuriating the fandom far more than Starlight ever could hope to and possibly changing the balance of the show with certain characters and how to present them.

Not to mention it adds a whole new element in not only where to take that relationship, but how to take it. With a character like Big Mac you can do some of that with not nearly the difficulty one with a member of the Mane 6 would encompass. And although I personally don't think they will get married, I do think we will see Sugar Belle around a lot more. Of course only time will tell though.

Yup! :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

I think that this is something best explored through secondary characters.  As much as I would like to see certain ships become canon, the writers probably know what kind of minefield they'd be stepping in if they put a Mane 6 pony in a relationship, and I imagine they want no part of that.

This is something best left to the fanfics.

I wouldn't mind more Shining Armor and Cadance though

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Adderbane said:

I think that this is something best explored through secondary characters.  As much as I would like to see certain ships become canon, the writers probably know what kind of minefield they'd be stepping in if they put a Mane 6 pony in a relationship, and I imagine they want no part of that.

This is something best left to the fanfics.

I wouldn't mind more Shining Armor and Cadance though

Which characters could you see being in a relationship?

I'd prefer not to see the mane 6 in relationships, but some of the supporting cast would be fine in my opinion.

Romance can and has been done really well in the show, really only the Rarity romance stories are what I would call bad. Cadence and Shining armor are great and are cute to see together, Big Mac and Sugar Belle are really fun and the Perfect Pear was simply fantastic.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Romance can and has been done really well in the show, really only the Rarity romance stories are what I would call bad.

Yeah, I am glad they dropped that whole thing with Rarity. It served a purpose in Best Night Ever since that episode was all about subverting expectations. I'm also fine with her flirting at times though. I brought up Twisty above because that was a cute joke that I think he had a crush on her and she didn't even notice. 

The various parents on the show help reinforce romance pretty well in small doses, and the show already nailed the best possible love story they could have. 

Just now, Jeric said:

Yeah, I am glad they dropped that whole thing with Rarity. It served a purpose in Best Night Ever since that episode was all about subverting expectations. I'm also fine with her flirting at times though. I brought up Twisty above because that was a cute joke that I think he had a crush on her and she didn't even notice. 

The various parents on the show help reinforce romance pretty well in small doses, and the show already nailed the best possible love story they could have. 

Generally I like when Rarity is a little flirty, it fits her character perfectly, like in Rarity Investigates it was one of the best parts of the episode when she was flirting with the mail pony and the guards.

But yeah, things like Trenderhoof or Blueblood, were more obnoxious than anything, Blueblood wasn't really that bad though in retrospect.

• Brohoof 1

One of the larger reasons why romance is an iffy subject for the leads is that the main characters each were created expressly with the purpose of presenting a variety of role models for young girls to see themselves represented in. It can be a little difficult to highlight individual characteristics when such a relationship should, necessarily, take up quite a bit of character focus. It's already tough to fit six main characters and their specific friendship themes into a single season.

Though, this does kind of the opposite and works very efficiently in favor of side characters like Shining Armor and Cadence who had kind of sparse characterization individually but have benefited hugely from developments in their combination as beleaguered young parents.

Do also agree that Starlight could potentially bring the romance into the main plot easier, since she kind of functions as more of a solo-focused main character now. Her relationships tend to be built to favor her growth more heavily.

• Brohoof 2

We need to have an episode just dedicated to Lyra and Bon Bon, I mean, they're obviously in some kind of a relationship (a little beyond just "friendship"), and if they did have their own episode, we could maybe see how deep that relationship is, as their relationship could be on any number of levels. We also have to note that the time dedicated to them during "Slice of life" just wasn't long enough to thoroughly explore this, and we may be able to accurately determine what kind of a couple they may turn out to be if we do get a full-length episode featuring them.  

Personally I don't think any of the mane six, including Starlight, should be in any kind of a romantic relationship with any other pony, as that would just feel..... kinda weird after seven seasons of them not expressing any kind of romantic desires, especially because they are the main charters of the show, and its different when its just background ponies or side charters in a romantic relationship.      

• Brohoof 1

I am of the opinion that the show has been maturing along with the original taget audience. Since that audience are now teenagers, I would expect romance to make an appearance to maintain appeal. With two romance oriented episodes this season, there is some evidence to support this. If I am correct, then we should see more romance making inroads into the show

As for any of the main characters. I can see love interests appearing for some of them, but serious relationships probably would not happen until very late in the show. Possibly the final season. It would disrupt the group dynamics too much otherwise.

Fluttercord has visible tendency to get more shipping teases every season. It woudn't be suprising if they had a SugarMac tier episode in the future where Discord realised that he love her more than a friend. They already act like a couple.

I would love to see more romance in the show. It's a logical and enjoyable direction to take it. Sure, many fans will object, but many objected when Twilight got her wings. You can't please everypony all the time, but what you can do is keep the writing and characters from becoming stale for lack of interesting new directions to take them. The Mane 6, and even the CMC, should have romances, I just want them to be well-thought and well-written so it doesn't just come off as a gimmick. 

• 4 years later...
On 2022-05-22 at 12:20 PM, TomDaBombMLP said:

With characters like Shining Armour and Cadance, that’s fine. If they did it with the Mane Six though, I wouldn’t be happy.

Yeah, more romance and shippings would completely ruin the show for me. I only care about friendship. I don't consider the final episode canon for various reasons and the implied ships are one of them.

• Brohoof 1

I liked all the married couples in the show but as for the dating/romance...eh. Still conflicted about AppleDash, mainly. I see a lot of fighting in their future considering how often they fought as just friends. Most romances were just played for laughs, too, or they were dumb like SugarMac (nothing to say here except it's not my favorite, but at least they scrapped MarbleMac out of fear that they may actually be cousins).

On 2022-05-21 at 11:47 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I think that the mane six are fine without having any stallion friends, because that allows more shipping for the mane six.

It used to confuse me that Rarity never found a stallion in season 9, then I remembered that she'd lose her flirting powers if she settled down.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

It used to confuse me that Rarity never found a stallion in season 9, then I remembered that she'd lose her flirting powers if she settled down.

I think it's a nice irony that the one character stays single, who wanted a boyfriend the most. Maybe Pinkie was right after all:

Spoiler
  • Brohoof 1

On 2022-05-24 at 9:19 AM, Sven Seelenherz said:

I think it's a nice irony that the one character stays single, who wanted a boyfriend the most. Maybe Pinkie was right after all:

Does Twilight Sparkle count as being in a relationship since the Flash Sentry she likes is from a different dimension? 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Does Twilight Sparkle count as being in a relationship since the Flash Sentry she likes is from a different dimension? 

I was thinking about the pony Flash who works in the castle in Canterlot. I only watched all Equestria Girls movies once, so my memory is a bit foggy. I remember this scene here:

Spoiler

1985024.png

I think I remember this scene so vividly, because she was blushing there and I hated it. There was only the other scene with Flash, when Cadance leaves the train and Twilight and her friends welcome her, Flash turns around and smiles. It was a weird little scene that didn't really add anything. And this scene, look how subtly he looks after Twilight:

Spoiler

2780792.gif

The creators definitely were interested to ship them, but in the end it didn't go anywhere. Luckily. :rarity: Looking back at it, she was just blushing out of embarrassment, since she doesn't pay attention to Flash here anymore. And Flash might have a (small) crush on her at most, hence she looks after her.

Yeah, no, doesn't count. Fans of this ship could definitely work with it, but I definitely don't consider it canon, not even Equestria Girls as a whole. So Rarity and Twilight are without partner after all and never had one. :)

• Brohoof 2