Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First 4 Equestria Girls Series Shorts are up

SaburoDaimando

5 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Well, I guess the four weren't enough for them, as they just put up three more.

Overpowered, Star Crossed, and the Finals Countdown.

Two things I'm curious about before watching them:

1. Is there going to be any hype left by the time this does premiere on YouTube?

2. K. Hadley said the shorts will be of 'varying lengths', and yet all the ones we've seen so far are 2 1/2 - 3 minutes. When will it start to vary?

Welp... these are the three shorts I've liked the least.

Spoiler

- Star Crossed: I have nothing against Timber-SciTwi, but this short was too cheesy for my taste.

- The Finals Countdown: So, suddenly everyone is irresponsible and SciTwi gets to make them study? They got the 6 best scores for CHS in the ACADECA on Friendship Games! It doesn't matter if SciTwi is a genius, the rest of the girls shouldn't be pictured as bad students at all. I call BS. Also, I don't like one bit that Cheerilee is so much older than the humane 7, it feels weird for me.

- Overpowered: It was ok, but after all the character development that RD has had in FiM it feels weird to see EQG's Dash with that attitude. To be fair, I like the implications of it, showing clear differences between EQG characters and the FiM ones. It's just that I don't like old immature Dash and her pony counterpart has grown on me so much, this feels like a regression (even if they're sepparate characters).

Edited by DonMaguz
Put my entry on spoiler because the thread isn't marked as such.
  • Brohoof 2

49 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

Reveal hidden contents

- Star Crossed: I have nothing against Timber-SciTwi, but this short was too cheesy for my taste.

- The Finals Countdown: So, suddenly everyone is irresponsible and SciTwi gets to make them study? They got the 6 best scores for CHS in the ACADECA on Friendship Games! It doesn't matter if SciTwi is a genius, the rest of the girls shouldn't be pictured as bad students at all. I call BS. Also, I don't like one bit that Cheerilee is so much older than the humane 7, it feels weird for me.

- Overpowered: It was ok, but after all the character development that RD has had in FiM it feels weird to see EQG's Dash with that attitude. To be fair, I like the implications of it, showing clear differences between EQG characters and the FiM ones. It's just that I don't like old immature Dash and her pony counterpart has grown on me so much, this feels like a regression (even if they're sepparate characters).

Funnily enough, I think I prefer these three over the other four, with the possible exception of "Pinkie Sitter". These seemed to try harder to squeeze a story in.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, DonMaguz said:

Hide contents

How you manage to watch overpowered? That episode is locked in the discovery family app and I can't find it anywhere else.

Edited by Cahead2015

13 minutes ago, Cahead2015 said:

How you manage to watch overpowered? That episode is locked in the discovery family app and I can't find it anywhere else.

I followed Equestria Daily's links, watched them all on my laptop in Chrome.

• Brohoof 1

I'm really confused by the placements of these. Legend of Everfree took place in summer, but in Dance Magic, the ShadowBolts mentioned a Spring Break and now they mention final exams. When do these take place?

• Brohoof 1

With regards to the three new shorts that were released earlier today...

...One has to wonder how Hasbro is taking this overall given that their schedule has been completely thrown away without them getting a word in.

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Cahead2015 said:

Are you serious right now?!

I wonder what princess twilight's redesign gonna be, if she ever to the human dimension

They'd probably keep Princess Twilight's design the same as before, since she's not the one they're trying to sell toys of and it'd help them differentiate the two twilight's from each other.

actually not bad, had alot more entertainment value than the last ones; Found timber and twilight's dorkiness pretty cute, and the mane six's overpowered magic pretty funny in overpowered.

That said, pretty pissed at overpowered at how SHORT and lacking in substance it was; Come on, this is supposed to be a SERIES, give us something with actual import already, not just sight gags. Was expecting an actual, full length episode (or at least 10 minutes for crying out loud) exploring them testing out their abilities and how they're growing/learning to control them.
There was some funny jokes like AJ crushing her locker, but come on, this was just phoned in.

• Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

actually not bad, had alot more entertainment value than the last ones; Found timber and twilight's dorkiness pretty cute, and the mane six's overpowered magic pretty funny in overpowered.

That said, pretty pissed at overpowered at how SHORT and lacking in substance it was; Come on, this is supposed to be a SERIES, give us something with actual import already, not just sight gags. Was expecting an actual, full length episode (or at least 10 minutes for crying out loud) exploring them testing out their abilities and how they're growing/learning to control them.
There was some funny jokes like AJ crushing her locker, but come on, this was just phoned in.

Eh, I’m not going to say your wrong, but I’m not really bothered by it. I don’t know anything about how this series was funded or put together, maybe this is just what Hasbro was willing or able to spend on the series. I never really had any great expectations going in, so maybe that’s why I’m not upset, but if I had to choose between little tidbits here and there, and remaining completely in the dark until next big movie, I’ll take what we have.

I thought the bit we got from Overpowered was good, that the more they use their magic the more powerful it gets. Wonder if that’ll ever come into play during some big villain fight, where all of them using their magic at the same time super-charges them.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Eh, I’m not going to say your wrong, but I’m not really bothered by it. I don’t know anything about how this series was funded or put together, maybe this is just what Hasbro was willing or able to spend on the series. I never really had any great expectations going in, so maybe that’s why I’m not upset, but if I had to choose between little tidbits here and there, and remaining completely in the dark until next big movie, I’ll take what we have.

I thought the bit we got from Overpowered was good, that the more they use their magic the more powerful it gets. Wonder if that’ll ever come into play during some big villain fight, where all of them using their magic at the same time super-charges them.

At the same time, the point of that episode seemed to be that their powers were uncontrollable when it does that, so I'm not sure its a good thing; its kind of like how they didn't seem really happy to find that they random turned Juniper into a giant after being put into the mirror.

As an aside, on rewatching that episode I kind of feel gypped we didn't get to see anything from rarity during that "has anyone else's magic been going crazy?" scene, just fluttershy, rarity and AJ.

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

At the same time, the point of that episode seemed to be that their powers were uncontrollable when it does that, so I'm not sure its a good thing; its kind of like how they didn't seem really happy to find that they random turned Juniper into a giant after being put into the mirror.

As an aside, on rewatching that episode I kind of feel gypped we didn't get to see anything from rarity during that "has anyone else's magic been going crazy?" scene, just fluttershy, rarity and AJ.

Yeah, it was odd Rarity was missing, though any time I try and think of the ways her crystal magic could loose control... yeah, maybe it’s better not knowing.

• Brohoof 2

I personally enjoyed "Overpowered" and thought it held up well on its own merits, but I agree that its potential is significantly limited by how dang short the run-time is. Really, if you take out the last shot of Sunset sighing in relief, I probably would've mistaken this as a cold open to a 22-minute episode.

I really hope a lot of the later shorts will be long enough to avoid regularly falling into this trap, because there's some really good ideas just waiting to be explored to their fullest.

I find it interesting that K. Hadley said they'll vary in length (meaning at least some of them ought to be longer), yet all the ones we've gotten so far are around 2 1/2 minutes. Maybe Hasbro intentionally gave Discovery Family all the shorter ones that were already completed?

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 4

38 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Kinda like those old timey car where you have to wind up the engine in order to start it.

12 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I personally enjoyed "Overpowered" and thought it held up well on its own merits, but I agree that its potential is significantly limited by how dang short the run-time is. Really, if you take out the last shot of Sunset sighing in relief, I probably would've mistaken this as a cold open to a 22-minute episode.

I really hope a lot of the later shorts will be long enough to avoid regularly falling into this trap, because there's some really good ideas just waiting to be explored to their fullest.

I find it interesting that K. Hadley said they'll vary in length (meaning at least some of them ought to be longer), yet all the ones we've gotten so far are around 2 1/2 minutes. Maybe Hasbro intentionally gave Discovery Family all the shorter ones that were already completed?

Maybe it's building up from 2 1/2 min to probably 11 to 22 minutes

2 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

They'd probably keep Princess Twilight's design the same as before, since she's not the one they're trying to sell toys of and it'd help them differentiate the two twilight's from each other.

Well if the human 7 undergo a change, then so would princess twilight if she ever returns though.

2 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

This Equestria Daily post has the links that I used to watch the shorts:

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/11/more-equestria-girls-shorts-released.html

No need for that anymore 'cause they're now on YouTube

• Brohoof 1

So far, I think the shorts are pretty much the same quality as the earlier Equestria Girls shorts – good but not spectacular. The second batch was stronger than the first one.

Spoiler

My favorites were "Overpowered" (thanks to Trixie's scene :D) and "The Finals Countdown" (the song was really catchy, and the music videos have always been enjoyable).

I wish we get more Equestria Girls specials in the future, though – the three specials (especially "Mirror Magic") were my favorite EqG-related material to date, I even prefer them to the movies.

• Brohoof 6

11 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

So far, I think the shorts are pretty much the same quality as the earlier Equestria Girls shorts – good but not spectacular. The second batch was stronger than the first one.

Hide contents

My favorites were "Overpowered" (thanks to Trixie's scene :D) and "The Finals Countdown" (the song was really catchy, and the music videos have always been enjoyable).

I wish we get more Equestria Girls specials in the future, though – the three specials (especially "Mirror Magic") were my favorite EqG-related material to date, I even prefer them to the movies.

I feel if we can just get episodes that are at least 8-11 minutes, we can easily get stuff on the same level (possibly higher) as Mirror Magic. Who knows if they'll ever go that far though.

Again, I'm going to keep stressing that if Sunset's equine background never gets explored more, I will be downright ticked.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

I feel if we can just get episodes that are at least 8-11 minutes, we can easily get stuff on the same level (possibly higher) as Mirror Magic. Who knows if they'll ever go that far though.

Again, I'm going to keep stressing that if Sunset's equine background never gets explored more, I will be downright ticked.

Not to mention the fact that I like to see Starlight in human form and have her explore the town more

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Cahead2015 said:

Not to mention the fact that I like to see Starlight in human form and have her explore the town more

That too. Honestly, just a short that shows her and Sunset working off each other I think would be enough for me to fully forgive Mirror Magic for downplaying their dynamic. That, and her gorgeous human design are too good to only be used once.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Cahead2015 said:

Speaking of thief, it's finally proved that Sunset's power is instantaneous.

Well, the mind is super quick. It sometimes catches on shit even before we realize what's going on :fluttershy: . 

Just one curiosity, haven't you noticed Vincent Tong is getting lots of pony roles lately? Dude got talent :fluttershy: 

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, the mind is super quick. It sometimes catches on shit even before we realize what's going on :fluttershy: . 

Just one curiosity, haven't you noticed Vincent Tong is getting lots of pony roles lately? Dude got talent :fluttershy: 

If the mind is quicker than the speed of sound then yeah it catches on all right, 

also I'm just in the story, witchever writer they have on it, doesn't matter to me, as long as they're good and of course, clever at it.

Edited by Cahead2015

1 hour ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Discovery Family has posted 4 more:

TL6eFdH.jpg

This may or may not be the last new pack, as by this point we've seen all the clips that were in the trailer - minus what appears to be a longer intro.

These were pretty enjoyable too (my favorite being "Display of Affection"), but I really hope we don't have to wait long for lengthier shorts. Put simply, a 2 1/2 minute running time is clearly doing more harm than good in terms of storytelling potential. It's basically one extreme to the other.

• Brohoof 3