Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv popular tv shows as a 90s kid ?

Angle Alastor

So i was wondering...what 90’s cartoon shows was popular to you ?

for me its, catdog , rugrats, hey arnold, my life as a teenage robot, the fairly odd parents (old ones). and early spongebob. dexters laboratory danny phantom, which cartoons have you watched or started watching again ?

I liked Johnny Bravo (a hilarious semi-adult cartoon made for kids :lol:). Such a funny late 90s cartoon.

Specifically 90s? Well I watched Disney Afternoon’s Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop. Also, watched a bit of 80s cartoons like TMNT and Inspector Gadget as a kid.

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Storm Shock said:

my life as a teenage robot, the fairly odd parents

Unless you're counting the Oh Yeah! Cartoons shorts, those premiered in the 2000s.

6 hours ago, Storm Shock said:

danny phantom

That also premiered in the 2000s.

Anyway, I'd say some of my favorites from that era are The Powerpuff Girls, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold!, SpongeBob, The Simpsons, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Animaniacs.

Edited by PinkiePie97

Digimon is probably my favorite series from the 90s. One of the first anime I ever watched, back when I could barely talk. I kept with the franchise and still watch the anime (Tamers and Frontier are my favorite series so far), although I've developed a love-hate relationship with the series in some regards. Some of the newer stuff (mostly tri.) I keep up with because I feel like I have too, even though the actual product isn't very good. Still, Digimon Universe and Cyber Sleuth were fantastic.

Second favorite is Arthur. I still love Arthur, I even enjoy current seasons (albeit, not as much). Seriously. I went to rewatch it last year, that show has some serious continuity with itself and theirs even an episode-spanning story arc in Season 4 or 5 that leads to some rewarding character growth. The show also surprised me with its character development, or example, Binky Barnes grew from a bully with serious insecurities over his "feminine" hobbies like dancing, music and butterfly collecting to a pretty nice kid who isn't ashamed of his love for ballet and music. The animation, music and characters are for the most part, pretty good too (though some characters are annoying). On a side note, the Arthur fandom is probably the weirdest cartoon fandoms around and I love it for it. 

Other stuff includes Power Rangers, Super Sentai, Spider-Man: TAS, Superman: TAS, He-Man, Ed Edd n Eddy, Sponge-Bob and Downtown. 

• Brohoof 1

Never was much of a Disney or Nickoldeon fan. It was either cartoon network or Fox Kids. 

Very early on it was Beast Wars, Batman TAS and Whishbone, the story of a talking Jack Russel terrier who would reenact famous stories w/ parallels to his real life family and what they were going through. 

Like everyone during the 90s, I got into Pokemon. Watched Animaniacs, a show that only gets better since we're all now old enough to understand the jokes. Freakazoid falls into that same vein of 4th wall breaking humor. Warner bros just nailed it during the 90s.

Oh and I almost forgot about Road Rovers and Swat Kats. Two shows responsible for an entire generation of furries. 

Watched a bit of the X-men and Spider-man, marvels only real offerings. 

I did watch Digimon extensively, but I wouldn't count that as 90s. That didn't really take off until the turn of the millennium. 

Power Rangers was indeed a thing. Pretty much followed from Mighty Morphin to SPD, though I didn't get super into it until Time Force.

Like many on here, I indulged in the cartoon cartoon fridays line up. But Ed, Edd n' Eddy was the go to show for me. 

Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry & Loony Toons re-runs were pretty common in my house. Half of the classic WB cartoons wouldn't make air time today thanks to how much they pushed the envelope. 

But the real main attraction was Toonami. First showing re-runs of voltron. Then I got hooked on Ronin Warriors. Of course DBZ and Sailor moon made all sorts of waves. And how could you not get swept up in the wave that was Gundam Wing? 

People say that all this 90s nostalgia is just a fad? That all of us who grew up during that time just dismiss everything that's come since? Well maybe there's a reason for that, and it's becasue shows during this time were just objectively superior. And those who disagree, simply haven't watched yet. 

As a kid from a post-Soviet country I didn't have any cartoon channels in the 90s, but still... So, my favorite cartoons were TMNT (the good old one), Pokemon (although it was mostly 2000-2001 for me), The Black Corsair (probably no one here has ever heard of it) and The Land Before Time (I know it's technically the 80s series).

For me... it was... a lot. Too much TV? Nah... not enough. :grin:

Short list: Alvin and the Chipmunks, Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, Beetlejuice, Captain Planet, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, TMNT, Darkwing Duck, David the Gnome, Dexter's Lab, Doug, Goof Troop, Gummi Bears, Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, Johnny Bravo, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, Muppet Babies, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Scooby Doo, Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM/AoStH), Swat Kats, Talespin, Ren & Stimpy, Powerpuff Girls, Tiny Toon Adventures

I'm sure there a few examples in there from the 80s, but I watched re-runs in the 90s so good enough for me!

While technically i was born in the 2000's i actually managed to catch quite a few cartoons that started in the 90s but continued to air during the 2000's, the ones i remember the most being Ed Edd & Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Courage The Cowardly Dog, Ren & Stimpy, Angry Beavers, and CatDog.

4 hours ago, Tommyspud said:

Not a cartoon, but a 90s show on a Cartoon Station.

I've been rewatching Legends of the Hidden Temple and it's still fun to watch.

Nick was never officially a cartoon station (none were even made for the network until 1988). They’ve always been a general kids network.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 

Pokemon

Darkwing Duck

Johnny Bravo

Dexter's Laboratory 

Sabrina The Teenage Witch

Kenan And Kel 

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air 

Powerpuff Girls 

Tiny Toons 

Animainiacs 

Taz Mania 

Courage The Cowardly Dog 

Ed, Edd n Eddy

1 hour ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Nick was never officially a cartoon station (none were even made for the network until 1988). They’ve always been a general kids network.

It was more known for being a Cartoon Station because 75% of it's lineup was cartoons then in the 90's. Except for Nick@Nite I don't even know a block that they had that didn't have a majority of cartoons on it.

On 11/25/2017 at 2:27 AM, ZethaPonderer said:

Specifically 90s? Well I watched Disney Afternoon’s Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop. Also, watched a bit of 80s cartoons like TMNT and Inspector Gadget as a kid.

My grandparents babysat me while my parents worked, and I used to park the TV on Disney Channel at about 1:00 and leave it there until it was time to go home. I never realized how much TV I watched until I started looking some of it up more recently... I think I watched everything at least once, even My Little Pony Tales!

My personal favorites, though... TaleSpin, 101 Dalmatians the Series, Blue's Clues, New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Kidsongs, Muppets Tonight... and so many more.

Never liked Rugrats. Or SpongeBob. Or most of the Nickelodeon shows, really. I'd turn it off after Nick Jr. was done.

Edited by BlueStreak98
  • Brohoof 1

On 11/29/2017 at 10:55 PM, BlueStreak98 said:

My grandparents babysat me while my parents worked, and I used to park the TV on Disney Channel at about 1:00 and leave it there until it was time to go home. I never realized how much TV I watched until I started looking some of it up more recently... I think I watched everything at least once, even My Little Pony Tales!

My personal favorites, though... TaleSpin, 101 Dalmatians the Series, Blue's Clues, New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Kidsongs, Muppets Tonight... and so many more.

Never liked Rugrats. Or SpongeBob. Or most of the Nickelodeon shows, really. I'd turn it off after Nick Jr. was done.

Oh yeah Tailspin. Forgot about that Disney cartoon, but I did remember watching it alongside the other Disney cartoons. LOL Shere Khan in a business suit. That is the only thing I remember from that cartoon since I find it forgettable tbh in comparison to Goof Troop.

Nickelodeon 90s cartoons/shows? Hey Arnold, CatDog, Legends of Hidden Temple, and these bizarre cartoon shorts made by KaBlam! such as Life with Loopy, Prometheus and Bob.

I never heard about it until now, but there used to be a great Nickelodeon show called The Adventures of Pete and Pete. Pretty bizarre sitcom show for its time. Never understood why Nickelodeon couldn’t do reruns of this show? Oh well.

3 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

I never heard about it until now, but there used to be a great Nickelodeon show called The Adventures of Pete and Pete. Pretty bizarre sitcom show for its time. Never understood why Nickelodeon couldn’t do reruns of this show? Oh well.

It actually aired on NickSplat for a weekend in June. Otherwise, that's all it's gotten since 2004.

• 10 months later...

Oh man, so many awesome cartoons from the 90's!

Disney:

• Darkwing Duck
  • Ducktales
  • Bonkers
  • Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers ( I think this one was from the late 80s)

Cartoon Network:

• Courage the Cowardly Dog
  • The Powerpuff Girls
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Ed, Edd, n Eddy

Nickelodeon:

• Rocko's Modern Life
  • Hey Arnold!

Other:

• Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • Superman: The Animated Series

I was born in '97, so I didn't really get to sample much of 90's shows, but here are my favorites of the bunch:

• Ren and Stimpy
  • Rugrats
  • The Simpsons (reached its peak in the 90s)
  • Rocko's Modern Life
  • Powerpuff Girls
  • The Angry Beavers 
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Star Trek: the Next Generation
  • Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Some shows I didn't really count because they didn't get really get big until the 2000's (SpongeBob, South Park) and some shows that are mentioned here are also technically not even from the 90s. I also put in a couple of non-cartoon shows considering I was a bit confused whether it was about cartoons or any TV shows from the 90s.

- Rugrats
- Darkwing Duck
- Ducktales
- Talespin
- Dexter's Laboratory
- Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
- Bonkers
- Sesame Street
- Shining Time Station

Honestly, I could go on forever... I was actually born in 88, but I grew up more during the 90s than anything else.