Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

One understandable fear of Neighsay.

Karnak

Look, we agree, Neighsay is without a doubt the most hateful bad guy of the series. But one fear I sorta understand of his is...

He seems to fear The Kingdom of Equestria  will be conquered by the creatures who gain friendship.

Friendship meaning

-Unity

-Community 

-Teamwork

For instance A Dragon/Griffon Alliance would easily crush most of Equestrias defenses. If the Kingdom was easily conquered by the Storm King, then a Coalition lead by any creature would easily outnumber and outmatch all of Equestria's forces.

Basically if he and the EEA could produce a movie it would be called

"Creature Dawn"

Edited by Karnak

42 minutes ago, Karnak said:

Look, we agree, Neighsay is without a doubt the most hateful bad guy of the series.

I actually disagree with this. Chrysalis is far more hateful than Neighsay; she even mocks the idea of love, and she purposely deprived her changeling subjects of the ability to generate love just to keep her power and to prove a point. Ruthless if you ask me.

Neighsay actually comes off a bit more like StarSwirl the Bearded in his "hatefulness", except more extreme than him in some regard because StarSwirl is willing to admit when he's wrong about something.

44 minutes ago, Karnak said:

For instance A Dragon/Griffon Alliance would easily crush most of Equestrias defenses. If the Kingdom was easily conquered by the Storm King, then a Coalition lead by any creature would easily outnumber and outmatch all of Equestria's forces.

He's a bit late to be worrying about that, the dragons' and changelings' leaders are already friends.

On the flip side, the positives of encouraging friendship between the nations outweigh the negatives. If both nations understand and accept ponies as allies, it would lead to them being able to avert disasters far more easily as they can pool together resources. Kind of like nation alliances in the real world.

• Brohoof 7

3 minutes ago, Wolfhog said:

I actually disagree with this. Chrysalis is far more hateful than Neighsay; she even mocks the idea of love, and she purposely deprived her changeling subjects of the ability to generate love just to keep her power and to prove a point. Ruthless if you ask me.

Neighsay actually comes off a bit more like StarSwirl the Bearded in his "hatefulness", except more extreme than him in some regard because StarSwirl is willing to admit when he's wrong about something.

He's a bit late to be worrying about that, the dragons' and changelings' leaders are already friends.

On the flip side, the positives of encouraging friendship between the nations outweigh the negatives. If both nations understand and accept ponies as allies, it would lead to them being able to avert disasters far more easily as they can pool together resources. Kind of like nation alliances in the real world.

You make a good point.

• Brohoof 1

Neighsay downright HATES other species, 

His ideal school is probably one with white unicorns ONLY!

Chrysalis might mock the idea of love but from what I've seen, she's just protecting her land, She is the mother to ALL her people remember, there's some theories that she just wants to protect her children, she just doesn't think Equestrian ideals are it.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sherbert said:

Er... What?

"White unicorns only"? Where'd that idea come from? Where is that substantiated in the episode?

He's afraid of the possible outcome of other species, he doesn't seem to show any preference among ponies themselves, whether fur color or type of pony.

2 hours ago, Sherbert said:

Chrysalis might mock the idea of love but from what I've seen, she's just protecting her land, She is the mother to ALL her people remember, there's some theories that she just wants to protect her children, she just doesn't think Equestrian ideals are it.

She abandoned them when they gained an objectively self-sustaining way to feed, and she did so even after she was extended a hoof. She's definitely a megalomaniac.

Also, just because she's a mother doesn't mean she is nurturing. Let's just say I have personal experience with that one.

There's a reason Thorax is the leader of the changelings now.

Edited by Wolfhog
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, Karnak said:

Look, we agree, Neighsay is without a doubt the most hateful bad guy of the series. But one fear I sorta understand of his is...

He seems to fear The Kingdom of Equestria  will be conquered by the creatures who gain friendship.

Friendship meaning

-Unity

-Community 

-Teamwork

Basically if he and the EEA could produce a movie it would be called

"Creature Dawn"

Add a bit of Equestrian history of foreign aggression  :dash:. Still, douche point of view, but you can see where he's coming from

• Brohoof 2

If he'd ranted against Chrysalis, Garble, etc., he would've been right on the money.

Otherwise, he only had a point in terms of Twilight's inexperience at running a school -- i.e., an actually pragmatic thing to be uppity about.

• Brohoof 2

51 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

He's a blatant undisguised speciesist. In what way is that understandable?

He's a protectionist. There's no such thing as a 'speciesist'. ALL animals are suspicious of others kinds in the wild unless they're involved in symbiosis!!!!!

It's way and far more natural to be suspicious of other kinds than not. He behavior isn't unusual in the slightest, even if he is supposed to be antagonistic.

• Brohoof 3

16 hours ago, Karnak said:

Friendship meaning

-Unity

-Community 

-Teamwork

I mean, hypothetically, yes, but is he correct to believe they actually will? I don't think so. 

Draw your own real-world parallels. 

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

Fine then maybe i should just leave. I am not interested in talking about politics that are linked to ponies.

Auf wiedersehen :3

Hopefully you'll come back a more composed guy, m'kay?

---

Honestly, I think Neighsay is just some stick in the mud who we probably won't be seeing again. If he's so worried about Equestria's safety then maybe he should just let the princesses do their actual jobs. It's not like Celestia has centuries of experience or anything. Diplomacy was moving along nicely until he ran that mouth of his. If there's anything he proved to everyone, it's that he is one terrible diplomat. He should stick with being the bureaucrat he is (who apparently likes working in the dark for some reason) and keep his nose out of international affairs is what I'm saying. Seriously, for someone so seemingly obsessed with protocol and norms, he went very far out of bounds there. Plot contrivance, I guess.

Edited by PathfinderCS

While some political discussions are unavoidable and acceptable as discussion (I mean "The Cutie Map" did more than "School Daze" had in that respect), I will advise that we be careful before we steer this thread into Debate Pit material. There's a time and place for such heated discourse and it's not here.

Cheers.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Querch said:

Honestly, I think Neighsay is just some stick in the mud who we probably won't be seeing again.

According to Maurice LaMarche himself, we actually will be seeing him again.

2 hours ago, A.V. said:

According to Maurice LaMarche himself, we actually will be seeing him again.

As tempted as I am to ask why, I can only see season 8 spoilers as the logical answer to this.

The last time a season premiere antagonist ran off after being cornered, she came back in the season finale. Hrm. We'll just have to wait and see. I have my suspicions as to what this might be about. If I'm right then that means the writers are taking greater risks this time. This season could use some risky ideas after the underwhelming but still interesting season 7.

21 hours ago, Sherbert said:

Chrysalis might mock the idea of love but from what I've seen, she's just protecting her land, She is the mother to ALL her people remember,

I watched Samurai Jack Season 5, and one of the antagonists just so happens to be a mother... and a terrible one at that.

She wasn't protecting her land. She was protecting her power. 

14 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

He's a blatant undisguised speciesist. In what way is that understandable?

I mean, to be fair, half of those species proved to be a threat to the ponies at some point or another. (Changelings especially, as we have outright witnessed what they have done to ponies. It's no joke when their leader is able to take out Celestia of all ponies, and even managed to encapsulate them later.)

It's very easy to demonize characters (and, thus, people) who have these perspectives, especially if we think they're ridiculous (and we've seen them being ridiculous because we personally know the other species), but characters also exist as a venue for us to understand real people who may think or feel similarly. Outright dismissal of his reasoning just because to you it's morally unjustified is probably why you're having trouble understanding him.

But of course, I'm one of those people who sings kumbaya and thinks the world could do with more of us attempting to understand one another.

• Brohoof 2

Yaks are isolationists, Dragons didn't really care about ponies, Griffons were just jerks, (harmless jerks) Hippogrifs were friends with the Princesses, and the changelinngs were the only real threat to the ponies before they got reformed, and brought under the new leadership.

I found out that the easiest way to piss off a lot of people is to  shoehorn social justice and real life politics in a fictional franchises where they don't belong.

Edited by R.D.Dash

Don't listen to what Neighsay says, he hasn't been on the adventures that Main Six and Spike, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Ember, and Discord have been on. So he doesn't understand.

1 hour ago, Brainstorm said:

Don't listen to what Neighsay says, he hasn't been on the adventures that Main Six and Spike, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Ember, and Discord have been on. So he doesn't understand.

And that's why Twilight should have explained her plan better.

She was wrong to expect other ponies to know about their friendship with foreign leaders and accept that all those creatures mean no harm to them when their history proves different. Equestria definitely needs better communication channels so ponies won't be nervous and defiant when their leaders start a new path (in this case a path of friendship with foreign creatures).

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, DonMaguz said:

She was wrong to expect other ponies to know about their friendship with foreign leaders and accept that all those creatures mean no harm to them when their history proves different. Equestria definitely needs better communication channels so ponies won't be nervous and defiant when their leaders start a new path (in this case a path of friendship with foreign creatures).

Twilight was under pressure with the EEA, so she couldn't have explained better. 

I watch MLP, and certain things make me want to lash out against items like my Build-A-Bear Twilight plush, or my Sonic, or my Yoshi! I want a Shadow the Hedgehog, because he is a MUCH better chew toy than those other things mentioned! Add to it the political anxiety that is induced by anything that Ajit Pai OR Donald Trump does, and it drives me to want to get away from not only these news, but from CLOTHES, as well! I would love to go to a nudist campground for a few days to inhabit a rental camper! And why do you THINK I chose to have a Dr. Nefarious Icon? I want to take a Combuster, and shoot Shadow the Hedgehog with it! Or hit him with a RYNO, or TURN HIM INTO A COW with a Mootator! I'm expecting Daimando's End of Month Announcement to begin with a message from Shadow saying the "Shadow Got Owned Collab 2" is cancelled, only to get hit by a falling cow again, only to be reminded that it's still on, but under a new name: The Shadow Got Owned 5th Anniversary Collab!

And WHY am I telling you this, when I shouldn't have opened my big yap at all?

Edited by YoshiAngemon

On 27-3-2018 at 5:34 PM, DonMaguz said:

Well, I assume the organasation of knowledge of Equestria knows about these such things. That they aren't convinced it works is another argument, but they should know about it.

4 hours ago, Hierok said:

Well, I assume the organasation of knowledge of Equestria knows about these such things. That they aren't convinced it works is another argument, but they should know about it.

I agree, they should. But if they don't, why can't their leaders be a little more proactive in making sure they know about it?Asumptions are the seed of misunderstanding.

Neighsay is clearly on the wrong because of his ignorance about foreign creatures and their cultures, but I'm going to guess he's not the only one who thinks that way and the best way to change that mindset is showing them how these creatures mean no harm to their society, not just assuming they will spontaneously know it.

• Brohoof 1

On 3/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, DonMaguz said:

1. Yaks have been isolationists and almost attacked Equestria do to being offended.

2. Dragons just did not like Ponies(at all) Neighsay is a bigot but so is Garble(and he was ready to pillage and destroy Equestria had he became Dragon Lord)

3. Griffons were just greedy jerks.

4. Hippogriffs were well..cowards.

5. Changelings: Need I say more?

• Brohoof 2