Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Lightning Dust make a return at some point?

BrawnyCharger

Ever since the Wonderbolts Academy episode, we haven't seen or heard from Lightning Dust in quite some time. Now the show likes to reform a number of antagonist ponies, even those who we don't want to be reformed. Chances are they might bring her back and reform her. 

But it's been 5 seasons since we've heard from Lightning Dust. So what do you think the chances of her returning are?

I’m positive this is gonna be the season for her return 

Not to mention Big Jim has been constantly teasing her return since S5

I certainly hope so. This is one of my Pony bucket list items, though I certainly hope it isn't played as a simple revenge plot. 

I could have sworn I saw her in the background of a later episode in her cadet uniform, because I specifically remember saying to myself, "Oh! She's still in the academy." but I can't find it, and I'm not referring to the flashback from Season 7 Episode 7 where the wiki mentions only that as her other appearances.

I kinda wish they bring back the Shadow Bolts, I think that if they did that they could bring back Lightning Dust as one of the Shadow Bolts and make it kinda a redemption story between her and RD, RD having to forgive her for almost killing her friends and Lightning Dust having to accept the recklessness of her actions. I think that would be super cool if they did that, but alas, they probably never will.............. 

(edited)

It has been speculated the possibility of her return this season

Spoiler

Episode 20: The Washouts to be specific. Yeah, I know, it's a long wait to find out :dry: (unless a wild spoilerific promo shows up :dash: )

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

I'm starting to think it might not happen, which is a shame, because of all the minor villains this show has offered up, she seems like one of the most viable to reform and become, if not actually nice, at least sorta decent like Trixie. Iron Will's return last season shows the writers are still willing to do stuff like this, but there's not a lot of time left. 

9 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I'm starting to think it might not happen, which is a shame, because of all the minor villains this show has offered up, she seems like one of the most viable to reform and become, if not actually nice, at least sorta decent like Trixie. Iron Will's return last season shows the writers are still willing to do stuff like this, but there's not a lot of time left. 

It seems LD was being set up to return just like Babs but for some reason they haven't been doing it! In the original LD scene Spitfire just took her headpony status and turned her into a tailpony. Now we dunno what happened to her! It's really frustrating!

(edited)
50 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

In the original LD scene Spitfire just took her headpony status and turned her into a tailpony.

I think that would have been a better way to get the most out of the character in universe.

But, I think she would have taken Rainbow Dash's spotlight the moment she started to learn about teamwork and helping her teammates to be better flyers. We would have had a direct competitor for Dash's lessons and a more relatable character than Dash, one that has fallen and is giving everything to make up her mistakes. I think shoving her out was the best way to avoid making her Dash's Sunset Shimmer and to maintain Rainbow Dash as the lovable jerk, instead of just a jerk.

Edit: About op's question, yes I would like her to return and see how they manage to make such a return. Did she pursue a new career after failing to become a Wonderbolt? Did she give into depression and became bitter like Moondancer? Did she start her own flyers team with more reckless and spectacular moves than the Wonderbolts? Did she become a mailmare?

Edited by DonMaguz
Adding an idea and response to OP. Grammar.

(edited)

There are some things that could be settled. Lightning Dust was the better flyer than Rainbow Dash, her risk taking paid off in that aspect. Also Rainbow Dash when paired up Lightning Dust was peeved being second fiddle. Rainbow Dash never bested Lightning Dust for the spot. A setup to challenge RD legitimacy of being in the Wonderbolts.

Edited by Singe