Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What the difference between real taco and fake taco

SDP40F amtrak

(edited)

I eat some at tacos at Mexican restaurant in South Texas  but my  thought is why everyone thinks that crispy taco are tacos like in movies or tv shows  they don't know what real taco 

Look like

This is crispy taco

14-Easy-Crispy-Shell-Tacos-410x273.jpg

This is a real tacos 

tacos-al-pastor-del-real-foods-al-pastor

So what the difference between real tacos and fake tacos  and why everyone in another places think crispy tacos are tacos 

Edited by Twilight Sparkle is best
  • Brohoof 2

Hmmm... Are you trying to say that the one you were expecting is the fried one and the real one is the un-fried one? :confused:

Maybe they are just another variation from the original, like Italian pizza is different from American pizza?

4 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle is best said:

I eat some at tacos at Mexican restaurant in South Texas  but my  thought is why everyone thinks that crispy taco are tacos like in movies or tv shows  they don't know what real taco 

Look like

This is crispy taco

This is a real tacos

So what the difference between real tacos and fake tacos  and why everyone in another places think crispy tacos are tacos 

My understanding was that the crispy taco style is part of "tex-mex" - that is, the american (texan) idea of what mexican food is like.

1 minute ago, Absolutely CypherHoof said:

My understanding was that the crispy taco style is part of "tex-mex" - that is, the american (texan) idea of what mexican food is like.

I can agree that but everyone in some places thinks crispy taco are real tacos

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Olly said:

Real tacos have crunchy shells 

I don't know about that 

I thought tacos are made from wheat including corn tortillas

7 minutes ago, Whomps said:

They're both real tacos. Only fake ones you get are from Taco Bell

I eat taco Bell sometimes but I feel like they just buy them  from store 

Edited by Twilight Sparkle is best

33 minutes ago, Kevin Tang said:

Hmmm... Are you trying to say that the one you were expecting is the fried one and the real one is the un-fried one? :confused:

Maybe they are just another variation from the original, like Italian pizza is different from American pizza?

Pizza is different from tacos

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle is best said:

I can agree that but everyone in some places thinks crispy taco are real tacos

They can be crispy or not. It does not matter. So long as its a taco shaped its a taco. That is from my Mexican father. Now in Mexico, most people prefer non fried tacos and they do not put rice or beans. But rather just meat and veggies like tomato. However, that is a preference not law. 

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle is best said:

Pizza is different from tacos

The comparison stands as its comparing foods that have many spins or takes on them but are not fake. 

2 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

They can be crispy or not. It does not matter. So long as its a taco shaped its a taco. That is from my Mexican father. Now in Mexico, most people prefer non fried tacos and they do not put rice or beans. But rather just meat and veggies like tomato. However, that is a preference not law. 

The comparison stands as its comparing foods that have many spins or takes on them but are not fake. 

I agree

I believe tacos where first invented with tortillas,then someone invented the crispy taco.

A fake taco has fake food (obviously) while a REAL taco has fresh ingredients along with a homemade tortilla or taco shell.

Dang,tacos sound good after I said that...

Oh and here’s an article on tacos

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/where-did-the-taco-come-from-81228162/

In Mexico when you order tacos it’s all soft corn tortilla (or flour), none of this crispy stuff :nom: . Although you can have tostadas, close enough I guess :P ?

I wayyyy (much) prefer soft corn tortilla, favorites being “al pastor” or “barbacoa” :nom: .

Or lengua :P .

• Brohoof 1

All tacos are real tacos. They may have different styles and levels of quality and some really suck, but if they have to be classified under one heading, they'd all belong under 'Taco' in the dictionary. 

This doesn't mean there wouldn't be a separate dictionary entry for 'Sucky tacos.' 

The only time you get fake tacos is when people put all this extra stuff in them....like...i had a taco once with all the fixin's plus anchovies and raisins. Also it depends on where youre looking at this. American tacos, like fast food tacos, are not real tacos. Real tacos are made from scratch with fresh tortilla and meat. Never frozen.

32 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

The only time you get fake tacos is when people put all this extra stuff in them....like...i had a taco once with all the fixin's plus anchovies and raisins. Also it depends on where youre looking at this. American tacos, like fast food tacos, are not real tacos. Real tacos are made from scratch with fresh tortilla and meat. Never frozen.

Yeah I agree

I admit to being one of the unwashed heathens that thought all tacos were in a crispy shell and stuffed full of things like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, guacamole, and pico de gallo.  In my defense, I grew up in an area where "Mexican food" meant "Ortega" or "Old El Paso."

I had my taco epiphany in, of all places, Rochester, Minnesota.  There was a taqueria near the supermarket we used to frequent, open for lunch only, and they served the pure form of taco: two corn tortillas, protein of your choice, some chopped onion and cilantro, queso fresco, and some salsa verde on the side.  Much better than the clunky, overstuffed Americanized crispy tacos I had grown up with.

Now fully converted after moving to Texas, I now stick with the soft corn tortillas with either carnitas or barbacoa, and maybe a little pico de gallo since old habits die hard  and it's still quite tasty.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've actually had the "real" ones and the "fake" ones before. What I can say is that I like both. Sure, the originals are really fun but the "americanized" version of the taco isn't as bad either. Put some good toppings on both and I'll be happy.

Edited by TheTaZe
  • Brohoof 1

Real tacos come from Mexicans. Best tacos I've ever had came from a road side stand on a highway just outside Mexico City. 

Fake tacos come from fast food places and they taste like chemicals and sadness. 

Any other tacos are somewhere in between. 

6 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

Real tacos come from Mexicans. Best tacos I've ever had came from a road side stand on a highway just outside Mexico City. 

Fake tacos come from fast food places and they taste like chemicals and sadness. 

Any other tacos are somewhere in between. 

True 

• Brohoof 1