Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you act differently in real life?

Shiki

Hum... I would say that the biggest difference between internet and IRL is the bad words I use. IRL I'm polite but on internet, I use the words fuck, shit and all that stuff A LOT! I think it's because I use a lot my hands when I talk about something and I need to use "bad" words to remplace that on internet. I just feel that using these words gives the "energy" my hands give when I talk.

Oh and I'm pretty rapidly losing my patience on internet while I can stay calm for a long period of time IRL.

Besides that, my sarcastic and negative behavior is pretty much the same IRL or on internet

Edited by Unexard

I am new here. I am Autistic. I can be pretty passive and aggressive. I love fantasy alot. Almost is my whole life. :)

I don't claim to be "Perfect" but invite the sane and insane into my mind and this pretty sums up to the story of my life.

So far so good thank you if you ask me.

Well it's nice to have you here!

Anyway, it seems from this thread that everyone is more energetic and crazy on the forums... I am too a bit more than in real life, but not by a milestone or anything.

You'd probably think I had some kind of brain damage if you ever had a verbal conversation with me. I can't think fast enough to formulate my thoughts into spoken word, so I often end up making no sense at all or backtracking several times in thew course of just a minute or two. I find it vastly easier to express myself through written word, as I have the time to properly think out what I'm trying to say. It goes both ways too; I can't think fast enough to properly comprehend what someone else is saying in conversation, and I'll often misunderstand them, or end up taking something they said out of context, because it was the only part I could clearly focus on.

Basically, I'm pretty much the same person on or off line; I don't really interact with too many people, and I try to remain calm and fairly serious in tone. (Unless of course, the conversation itself is silly in nature.) But you're far more likely to have serious trouble understanding and communicating with me IRL. I like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but also really, really slow and unintentionally oblivious.

Well, I've been acting more and more like my internet self. I've even been taking my beliefs on the internet to real life. For example, nerds are cool. Apparently, in real life, nerds are still not cool.

It's actually pretty scary, the humor I have on the internet is translating to real life. I even take less consideration of others now, being more honest, which is pretty much me on the internet.

From my observance here in this forum, it seems that if you take away the metal thread (or any music related thread) I'll become the exact same in real life. The guy who sits quiet, plays a couple of games, wanders, and then joins in on a conversation among others of different popularity groups (read: in different threads).

In general, without music I become an even more stagnant shit.

Oooh man I'm so much different online than in real life.

Online, I'm strange, outgoing, and as social as I can be. Real life, I am such a bitch. I'm snappy due to anger management problems and I always seem to let a sarcastic comment about something before thinking. In school, I was that weird girl with a couple friends that sat in the back of class quiet and always looking pissed off about something. With my past problems I developed a fear of being hurt and abandoned again, so I act like this to avoid that. Though around friends I'm much more open.

But yeah, I'm just a typical sarcastic bitch that nobody likes out of the internet. Online is where I'm safe, so I act more comfortable on here.

Whether communicating with people online or in person I try to speak my mind honestly and tactfully. It doesn't matter how right you may be about something or how intelligent you seem; nobody in the world will care what you think unless you speak your mind in a graceful way. I'm also a much better listener than I am a talker. Sometimes that helps in human interactions, sometimes it makes things difficult. It all depends on whatever the discussion is about and who started it. I also try to give people the benefit of the doubt if ever their honesty or sincerety could be in question unless it's terribly obvious that their intentions are to the contrary, which goes for both my online and personal interactions. Whenever somebody seems to be "down on their luck," I'll do everything I can to help them out materially. In summation, I do my best to be as considerate and generous as possible regardless of my mode of interaction.

And for all of the above reasons I have little doubt that I will die poor and alone.

Edited by Artemis

You said it Sugar Plum. in real life I am always stressed and recently I have been feeling kinda depressed I have no social skills and I am an EXTREME introvert so I have no friends, and whenever I spend time with people I need an equal amount of time by myself, I can also be rather rude at times.

Edited by Flame Dancer

Hah...in real life I'm a shell. Nothing can hurt me...

Emotionally, you assholes. A pipe to the head hurts a helluva lot...

I'm really only open to people over the internet and those that are my friends. Even then, none of you are too sure just how I am.

The online me is my real personality. I tone it down a bit in public, but other than that I'm the same. So to get my IRL personality, take what you get here and drop everything down a notch or two. A little less outgoing, a little less eager to share my opinions on everything, a little less willing to say inappropriate things for comedic purposes, a little less likely to jokingly talk about how amazing I am, you get the picture :)

The exception are my close friends and family. They get the real me.

Nope. What you see is what you get; just a guy who values his friends, keeps an open mind, makes people laugh (hopefully), and occasionally churns out a deep thought or two. I'm comfortable enough with myself and with you guys to not change the way I act around the forums! :)

Yes. The internet gives me the anonymity I need to express my opinions. I know I don't always have the most popular of opinions. Also to rant about things where I, otherwise, can't. I'd say I act on the internet the way I do around my close friends. But out in the world, I act a lot more reserved than I actually am.

Im fairly similar when im not online...... I still have the same morals, views, ideas..... I guess im still exactly the same person when not on the internet.... Probably a bit more on the shy side in real life though (just a little) ;)

such as Arylette

I always have to wonder why people feel the need to add that "e" in there. :blink: Where did it come from? Also, my signature isn't the only place my name is. Uh... ;;Points to above post;; Yeah. XD

So, back to the topic.

I really make a bit of a 180 in real life to a different attitude altogether. Actually, I rather hate my real life self. She's overly quiet, timid, abrasive to certain people, awkward, unintentionally rude (because of lack of knowledge in social customs), and one of the world's WORST LIARS EVER.

Like, in real life, it is completely impossible for me to hide my emotions because my face and body language are really expressive. (And I can't control it) They express all of what's on my mind with clarity, to the point where it was obvious even to a person who has trouble distinguishing emotional responses. I don't like people seeing my personal thoughts. In real life, I'm secretive because I don't want to be judged or asked a bajillion questions that I don't feel like answering because I have my intense anxiety at face-to-face interactions makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me not to think up an absolutely stupid or nonsensical response to them. Most of my eccentricity is not regarded with interest or in a nice way, so I either flaunt it to scare people off or hide it completely to look like a person with no information and keep them from talking to me.

In real life too, I don't want people speaking to me. The less people and strangers around, the better. I shut up conversations as quickly as possible, and I absolutely don't do small talk. I also usually share little in common with most people I meet in real life, so there isn't much to talk about.

On the internet, I'd say I'm much more open, (to close friends and to people in private when I feel like blurting out stuff to them. I still retain some of my closed off attitudes around here. There's quite a bit that is unknown about me still) easier to converse with because I don't have to worry about my face revealing a bunch of things I don't want people to know, nicer, more polite, a hell of a lot more well-spoken (better at writing than speaking, my speech is very repetitive), less spacey (since I have trouble comprehending what people are saying auditory), and just overall more like my real self. I can even sound like I know what I'm talking about! That is something I CANNOT do in real life. Everything I say just sounds like some dumb kid who doesn't know what she's talking about. I don't have enough time in a rapid-fire real life face to face conversation with all of the worrying and anxiety in my head to think up good responses, because I am a slow thinker who needs time to process. These interactions do not give me this time, and I end up looking stupid.

If I try hard enough, I can pull off a semi-passable imitation of a normal person though. If my face blushing doesn't ruin it.

I guess that's like a lot of other people here, from what I've read.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough

Well in a sense yes and in a sense no. Online it is way easier to talk to people than in real life.

I am a really shy person and find it hard to approach others that I do not know. Once I get to know you then everything is cool.

I am the same person online and in realtime no need to change yourself so that others will accept you. Be yourself :)

I feel like a act a bit different online than real life. I am able to say the things I want to whoever online but in real life, I am to shy to say such things. And I'm a bit more outgoing~ >.>

I always have to wonder why people feel the need to add that "e" in there. :blink: Where did it come from? Also, my signature isn't the only place my name is. Uh... ;;Points to above post;; Yeah. XD

How to pronounce my name: Ar-ree-let Dawns-buh-row

I see, it is actually written there how to pronounce it... Sorry for misspelling your nick, that is sort of what happens when I turn self control and correction off. O_o

Also, I'm no expert, and not your parent either, but I don't think you should keep saying stuff like "I hate my real self" or keep refering to yourself in 3rd person. Just a friendly thought tho... I really dislike how imperative I sound now, but you know my intentions are good.

Also, I'm no expert, and not your parent either, but I don't think you should keep saying stuff like "I hate my real self" or keep refering to yourself in 3rd person. Just a friendly thought tho... I really dislike how imperative I sound now, but you know my intentions are good.

That's just my opinion. I don't see what's so disturbing about it. I say it to separate my real life self from my actual self, because I only see the way I portray myself in real life as an outer shell. Here, I am my true self. I'm actually me. Hence why I would refer to my real life behavior "she"

In real life I am actually shy, unless the subject is something that interests me (such as Sci-Fi). I don't speak to others much but when I do its usually only out of necessity.

That's just my opinion. I don't see what's so disturbing about it. I say it to separate my real life self from my actual self, because I only see the way I portray myself in real life as an outer shell. Here, I am my true self. I'm actually me. Hence why I would refer to my real life behavior "she"

The way I see it, you're sticking too much to your online life and looking past all the joys of real life.

Says guy who spends ~5 hours each day here on average.

The way I see it, you're sticking too much to your online life and looking past all the joys of real life.

Says guy who spends ~5 hours each day here on average.

I don't have a real life, so to speak. At the moment, I'm stuck here until I get a car. I can't get a job because nobody's hiring. And I'm still trying to arrange my college affairs. So... basically, there's nothing to my real life at the moment.

However, I'm not saying my real life is bad. Merely, that my attitude and behavior in it are horrendous. And I don't like them. That's it. On the internet, like most people here, I feel more free to behave as I actually act rather than being muddled by a veil of social awkwardness and anxiety. Do not misunderstand, I am no delusional person who wishes to hide on the internet from the real world. I simply do not like my behaviors in it, which is something I've been working to remedy, but it's going to take a long time.