Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How honest are you on the internet (and in real life)?

NothingIsEverything

I'm extremely honest, both online and off. Mainly because I just don't have a good enough memory to keep a lie up. One lie leads to another ad infinitum.

On the extremely rare occasion where I do lie, I mix it with truth so it comes out stronger. But that's very rare indeed and almost always has been reserved for special occasions like surprise birthdays etc.

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to say I am more honest and open on line then in real life.  

Here I have the time to think about my reply and hopefully word it inteligently.  With a Google tab to help me look up words or facts lol.

I can voice an opinion without being judged in person.  Most of you should know that feeling, the looks, reactions, aura ppl give off, ect. that you get if your opinion is difrent from thiers.

In real life I would say I am very reserved on what I will say.

For those that may have read alot of my post, you can get a decent understanding on how I think.  But not a good look on how shy I actually am.  Make no mistake, I'm not one to hide in the corner quiet all day.  But I rarely start conversation, not to sayI won't join in if I can maybe add a little something.

• Brohoof 1

I can't recall ever telling an actual lie on the internet, but there used to be times where I wouldn't be honest about opinions that I knew my e-friends would disagree with. I try my hardest to steer clear of lying in real life, but sadly, I always avoid expressing my true thoughts when I have a good feeling that I'll get burned for it.

• Brohoof 1

I like to think that I'm the same online and in real life. though I can't say for sure since I don't actually keep track of this. how honest I am is another thing I don't really pay attention to. I'm gonna err on the side of caution and say that I'm regularly honest

• Brohoof 1

I can't recall ever telling an actual lie on the internet, but there used to be times where I wouldn't be honest about opinions that I knew my e-friends would disagree with. I try my hardest to steer clear of lying in real life, but sadly, I always avoid expressing my true thoughts when I have a good feeling that I'll get burned for it.

Totally agree with this. Even worse if you have especially contentious or controversial opinions/views. Doubly worse if you feel very strongly about them.

I used to lie rather often in real life about trivial things, just to keep conversations short and only to the necessary. That, over time, kind of backfired on me in some situations, making it stupidly awkward. Now that I've moved to a new city for university and don't really have any friends, I've made it a point to not do that anymore. Can't say on the results yet.

Online, it depends on where I am. I am especially nonchalant and truthful on places where people I trust congregate, like facebook, personal e-mails, forums (lol), etc. If I'm ingratiating myself into a community, I don't lie, but I keep my words short and with brevity, so it sort of straddles the bounds of omission until I feel comfortable talking to people freely. When it comes to places like comment sections on videos and chatrooms, I usually just don't say anything at all because so often those conversations devolve into mindless babbling.

The only things I lie about often are my sexual orientation (of which I don't have a set value for and thus just default to "heterosexual" to prevent unwarranted controversy) and what I think about people, since I try not to be openly rude about my feelings towards others, in fear of hurting feelings or creating unneeded hate.

Are those good policies? Maybe. Probably not. I'm not proud of it but we do what we can to get by, eh....

• Brohoof 3

I'm honest as can be, most hate that though as it can come off as seemingly "rude" apparently.

But my therapist has already compared me to sheldon cooper on The Big Bang Theory due to my preference in sitting location when at her office is the same, and I'm terrible with sarcasm. 

So I find it better to skip the sarcasm and go right to the reality of it. People think I'm being literal anyways.. so why not?

Generally though, you won't find me posting recognizable images of myself (I hate pictures of myself, so the latest one my parents even have is over 10 years old and from bootcamp!) nor other more direct information (I.E. real name and such)

Even my facebook profile is GrimCW, no personal contact, and my Email name reads as "FU ** YOU"  except not censored :P first name as FU though :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm always honest online. It's not like I'll say where I live so if I give off an opionion and someone hates it they come and try to kill me or something! Honesty is something many people need to learn. One thing I hate is liars. Just tell the truth and get it over with people. c:

• Brohoof 1

I never lie and am generally honest both in real life and online but I'm more open online and have difficulties explaining things in real life. I'm really socially awkward and have trouble expressing myself sometimes but I try and be as honest as I can be. Sometimes I keep things to myself and leave out information, though. I also have a huge issue with being lied to and seeing others lie to people, so I rarely ever lie and if I do, I feel awful. 

• Brohoof 1

I am secure in my persona and am pretty much success personified. Or rather, I have found success in life. Thus I see no reason to fabricate any extravagant stories or put on any intriguing demeanor. What's more is that I simply don't give a *SQUEE*.

What can I say, I love being a thorn inside and outside the World Wide Web. Honesty like any other skill needs to be practiced. One of these days, your precious little Integrity will be questioned, and lies will not help you. I learned that the hard way. So work on always being truthful in word and deed.

So remember kids: Integrity first, security cameras second.

• Brohoof 1

Well the internet is really the only way I try to communicate with others, so I try to be as honest as I can. I like to be creditable to what I say by being genuine, and accountable for anything I may or may not do. It makes me feel like a better person than what I feel I really am IRL.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty honest in real life and online. I just never really ever feel the need to lie about anything. But I do try to not give out TOO much information. Plus, I'm not a good liar at all.

• Brohoof 1

I don't lie much in either situations, actually I think I'm more honest online than in real life which I find kind of funny. If I was to do anything close to lying, I would probably twist the truth to protect my privacy. As much as I know that only at the most a few hundred (I'm not sure even that) would read something like this, it is open to the world so anyone can see into my life.

• Brohoof 1

i am brutally honest both on the internet and in real life. my friends really admire that quality that i tell stuff like it is. Well i have very little friends, but thats a whole other story nopony wants to hear.

• Brohoof 1

I'm very honest online and in real life. I just can't lie to anyone I meet because it makes me feel guilty. Lying kills me on the inside and I mean that truthfully. That's why when I speak with someone, I tell them the truth. I believe in honesty over deceit. :)

• Brohoof 1

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

I'm 90-95% honest on the internet. Yes, I am and I have no regrets to it. But sometimes I will have to lie my way out of things but most of the time its not like that.

I tend to stay the same online as I do off. This though, depends on the site I'm on. For example, here I stay just about the same. 4chan or any other "goofy" sites I go just to cause lawlz. Though when it comes to honesty, I try to stay at best wherever. 

• Brohoof 1

I used to lie a lot to make myself seem cooler or more interesting. Back when I was suicidal, I'd always make my life harder than what it really was.

Now that I'm a little older, I try not to lie so much.

• Brohoof 2

To me it's the other way around. The internet is the place I'm probably the most honest. I could probably never say half the things I say on the internet in real life, or tell people in real life details about my life that I do on here. 

In all honesty (!!) my offline life is a pretty big lie lol.

Edited by Mutton Bash
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if you'd call this honesty or dishonesty, but I become an entirely different person on the Internet. It's completely out of my control, and stems from my first introduction to the Internet being through an MMORPG. I naturally become an entirely different person, with everything I think, everything I say, and every belief I have. So while my Internet self is honest, it's not the same person that's actually sitting and typing the words. The second I leave the Internet, I completely change. Guess I'm weird. *shrug* or that guy typing this stuff is weird, at least.

Edited by Kaza
  • Brohoof 1

I am pretty honest and truthful on everything I say and do... though if people ask me if I watch certain things (usually if I do I twell them even though if I barely seen it (like a few episode) I say I do so idk if that's a lie cause I do but barely seen it like 1 or 2 episodes... 

• Brohoof 1

You guys are pretty special to me.  Many details of my life and personality I've posted here are things I've never disclosed to people in real life. They're scattered about numerous threads so few of you have probably seen most of it. Can't think of any reason to mislead anyone here, since I'm under no obligation to reveal anything at all. I'm just careful about what I say and how I say it. There are some details I don't mind sharing with anybody one-on-one but don't want to post publicly. It's all a matter of trust. People I trust will hear truthful things and people I don't trust will hear nothing at all. Fronting sucks. I want people to like me for who I am.

I'd have to say the staff are (unsurprisingly) the most familiar with me. They know my full name, I've given them my phone number, and I've met many of them in person. Stuff I'd never consider telling anyone I currently know in the real world, I've told them. PFFs, are we.

The only times I'm really dishonest in real life is when discussing a few things with people at work. As little personal info is given to them as necessary. Too many times have I been screwed by employers so they can save a dollar for me to take any more chances. I must say though, the company I'm with now is the most ethical I've ever been with.

• Brohoof 2