Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you act differently in real life?

Shiki

Eh, not really. Sorta. I mean, I am introverted and its quite common for introverted people to act more extroverted online. I do tend to act more lively online. But really I act lively wen I'm with friends too. So I guess the way I act online is how I act with friends. When  am around others though I do tend to be more quiet and shy. 

Edited by AnonBrony

I'm somewhat more talkative online then in real life.  That's very common; no big surprise there.  :)  But I avoid outright deceptions and delusions.  The way I see it, there's a good chance I'm going to be meeting some of the people I talk to in real life someday.  Once that happened, they'd learn that a lot of what I was saying was a lie and then I'd be ostracized by an entire online community. 

Would it make me look more impressive as a member if I said I was an astronaut, a wrestler, or a NASCAR driver?  Sure.  ;)  But it would be only a matter of time before I was exposed as a fraud and then I'd be seen in a much worse way then if I was simply myself all along. 

• Brohoof 2

Well...

I actually am probably slightly more responsible here than I am in real life. Typing things out do sometimes get out of hand though with a mixture of OCD and ADHD. And to say that is the "Real me"

In real life outside the forums I am a bit more held back... because of simply being a brony and not to many people knowing about it. And here I can feel like starting a completely normal conversation without questioning myself. But I could say that my real personality sometimes translates in some posts and in PMs.

I'm much more confident, friendly, and outgoing on the internet, and also more willing to share my thoughts and opinions. I rarely speak to anyone irl, and I'm terrible awkward and anxious in social situations. I'm very much a Fluttershy.

Sometimes (definitely not always, but sometimes) I feel more comfortable on message boards than I do even with my close friends.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I'm too different. It really depends on who I'm talking to though.

I'm probably a lot more polite and less sarcastic online because my personality is the only thing that comes through. I'm also generally funnier online (at least I think so) because I take the time to think about what I'm going to say and perfect the wording for maximum humor. In real life sometimes wording gets screwed up and that's why no one thinks I'm funny.

Mostly I think I'm a different person online because everything very impersonal and I do it without meaning to. No one has any context about me when they read what I write so I might appear different to every person without ever intending to come across a certain way.

I don't ever lie about my life though, although no one online really knows that much about my life anyways.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say about 90% of my real-life personality is apparent in my online personality. One big difference would be how social I am. Online, I can be social, but in real-life I've always had trouble opening up to those I don't know. I'll often be one of the quietest people at first until you get to know me better. Another thing, I have a very strange sense of humor that probably only those that know me in-person would understand. Although I can be funny to some of my closer online friends, I sometimes don't even try to be funny in an online public setting (with some exceptions), only because from my experience, if you "try too hard" to be funny, it just looks foolish to those that don't understand the humor. Those are really the only two big things I can think of off the top of my head.

I can see my personality online being interpreted differently from my real self, though. For example, based on my posts, perhaps I look like someone that takes a lot of things seriously, even things that shouldn't be, when in reality, I'm the exact opposite. I take things seriously that need to be taken seriously, but with a lot of things, I can just laugh it off and have a good time and not stress over the small stuff. On the whole, I'd consider myself a very laid-back and friendly individual.

So while I'd say 10% of it could actually be different, I wouldn't be surprised if some would think I'm a little more different online than I am in real-life, but not much more. That would only be a result of how I conduct myself online as opposed to around those that know me in-person.

• Brohoof 1

Not much differently no. I just don't have as many people to talk with in real life as I do here. If I did there would be no difference between the online me and the real me.

[appart from the fact that online me has the belief that ponies are the master race of the whole damn universe.]

I actually act very similar in real life, but I'm less shy online and I'm a lot more talkative online. I'm often random in real life just like I am sometimes online. So I do act similar to how I act in real life I'm just less shy and I'm more open.

On here I am fairly talkative and not too anti-social. In real life, I am an anti-social recluse that hates a lot of people and society. I am still friendly though, I just don't get out much and I am not very social at all. My child like personality shows more offline as well. I am essentially a different person online.

I'm largely the same online and offline. I type pretty much the same way I speak; all those "I guess", "like,", "well"s and so on pop up all the time, sometimes using flowery, fancy words to keep things interesting and lots of run on sentences or improper sentences that make can be understood through context. I still love to tell little stories and talk about all those nerdy little subjects and I can kinda blab on and on when it comes to certain subjects.

There's just a couple major differences between the two me's. One, I'm a little more open and talkative. Normally, you'd have to put in a little work before I warm up to you, otherwise you'd be lucky to hear a peep out of me (I remember someone actually thinking I was mute because they hadn't seen me actually talk all year). Essentially, everyone here is already past that point.

And two, the secrets I keep from you guys are very, very different from the ones I keep from those I interact with in real life. It goes without saying that those I know in real life know my name and sex and stuff, but they don't know about some of the more personal things I guess. It kind of ties in with the first difference but I tend to sometimes share my deepest thoughts here as if it were a kind of diary: an outlet for my worries and concerns, useful even when no one pays them any mind. A kind of venting of emotion I don't want anyone to see yet don't mind if anyone sees. In a sense, this is my rawest form, my very essence, and so I keep the two me's separated with secrecy.

fd fd fd fdfd fddfdf fd fd fd fdfd fddfdf

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

Hoo boy, yes.

But I should say this, for the record: How I act on here is pretty much how I act in real life, because I feel..comfortable here, like I don't need to hide behind a lie or something. Here, i'm comfortable, quite bubbly, a bit talkative when I get talking...quite like me. There are only two other forums where I act the same way, because i've gotten to know the members quite while, to the point where we are like family (Even the owner of the forum said he found me to be like a brother to him.) I am a bit introverted and anti-social offline, but if anyone talks to me, i'll talk to them. I'll try and strike up conversation. I'm that guy on the bus who will talk to old people who talk to him for the entirety of the journey.

Elsewhere online, though? I'm perhaps the worst person in the world. I can be incredibly hostile, incredibly anti-social, and definitely introverted. People online REALLY piss me off to the point where I could flay them all and wear their skins as trophies. I've lost almost all of my virtual friends and a girlfriend because of how i've acted: They didn't like how I was, or how I found their friends (I found their friends to be like bleach: An absolute irritant, thick as anything.), and how hostile I could get to anyone.

I do not, do not, do not, DO NOT suffer fools lightly, and there are an awful lot of fools out there on the internet. An awful lot of backstabbers. An awful lot of two-faced liars and parasites.

Pretty much why i've killed my online presence mostly aside from this forum.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, kind of.

Online, I am more social, more honest, and more of a nice person, especially on MLP Forums. In other places, though, I can be a cynical guy. I'm still open about everything about me, though. If anyone has any problem with anything about me and starts insulting me, I can simply block them.

In real life, I am more rude, less social, less honest, more shy, and some other stuff. I am especially less honest online because I'll be hated by peers and close people if I revealed my secrets, maybe even bullied. My mom is literally the only person I feel free to not keep secrets from.

• 5 years later...

I feel that on the Forums, I act pretty close to how I act in real life. Though, in real life, I can be a lot more angrier. There isn't too much on this site that can make me mad, whereas in real life, there's a lot more that I can get pissed off about.

Only slightly. I act pretty similar to how I act here. Even so, the users only see my true nature in some of the videos I post here of myself.

Though in reality, I don't talk with such vocabulary as I am currently doing right now. I talk like any other teenage girl.

Ex:

"Oh! And btdubs, (name) is coming over later, and we're gonna head out to Starbucks!"

--

So yes, only slightly do I act differently from how I do online. 

• Brohoof 1