Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Movie Planned for 2021

PinkiePie97

*insert rainbow dash saying: Oh my gosh*

Jokes aside. It has to be Christmas or my birthday or well neither but it's the best thing I heard since months. 

So hyped. That could mean until 2021 G4. So Season 9 would not be the end. Even more Hype. So hyped about the hype. If it's true get some more hype. 

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Wait, so this means G4 will last a little while longer possibly...?

It wasn't specified if this will be G4 or G5. The post I linked says it was referred to as "My Little Pony 2", but I'm not sure if that means anything.

3 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

It wasn't specified if this will be G4 or G5. The post I linked says it was referred to as "My Little Pony 2", but I'm not sure if that means anything.

The title itself doesn't really mean much, though I do wonder if plans have changed somewhat regarding a movie release. It could be a G4-segue into G5, or it could be something exclusively G5. For now people will need to manage their expectations until more information follows.

Pinning, cuz big movie news~

Also; dat D&D film. :sealed:

• Brohoof 3

• The topic was pinned

*Sigh*.  I'm probably the only demented wackjob in the whole fandom who thinks this is bad news.  I love MLP.  Really I do.  I swear!  But in many ways, I just want it to end.  I didn't like the 2017 movie (particularly the animation change, which, imo, made them look completely not like themselves), and recent seasons have certainly been an up and down roller coaster ride of quality, in my opinion.  I just want the show, and the entire G4 franchise, to end on a good note, and then be done and stay done.  I probably feel this way due to the fact that so many things I have loved have continued for too long, seeing too many seasons and too many sequels, and went down the tubes.  The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory are a couple of prominent examples.  (I dislike the direction TBBT went in the latter half of the show, and the less said about modern Simpsons, the better.)  If you don't agree with me on those examples, how about the Disney Star Wars movies, hmm?  The point is, I want my beloved ponies to end on a good note and not go downhill.  I want a great S9, and that's it.  I don't want another bad movie.

I'm sorry if I'm being a thundercloud on everyone's sunny day.  If you're super pumped, then please don't let my stupid rantings spoil your ride on the hype train.  And no, that's not sarcasm.  I really mean it.  If you're looking forward to this, then have a blast and pay me no mind.  I'm weird and have problems.  :scoots:

• Brohoof 5

23 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I know it didn't specify, but it's definitely a possibility that it's a direct sequel. Although I dunno how probable. :-P

• Brohoof 1

58 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I'm sorry if I'm being a thundercloud on everyone's sunny day.  If you're super pumped, then please don't let my stupid rantings spoil your ride on the hype train.  And no, that's not sarcasm.  I really mean it.  If you're looking forward to this, then have a blast and pay me no mind.  I'm weird and have problems. 

Don't worry, I don't think you're raining on anyone's sunny day, or at least not mine anyway. Personally, I'm super excited at the possibility of this being another G4 movie and hoping that ends up being the case. Personally, I liked the 2017 movie and the recent seasons a lot still, and I'm kind of in a bad place right now in general so the last thing I want to hear about is my favorite show ending so soon when I feel like I kinda need it the most. I'm weird and have problems too.:adorkable:

For what it's worth, I hope we both get what we want. I hope the show goes on just a bit longer, and I also hope you get an end to the show you find satisfying as well.

• Brohoof 3

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys, but this is still following the leaks to a T. The leaks said that they would either do the movie in 2020 or 2021 and they weren’t decided on if it’d a sequel or an opening to a new series.

so for those thinking this would bring hope on the leaks not being true and season 9 not being the final season... Sorry still not likely the case.

43 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys, but this is still following the leaks to a T. The leaks said that they would either do the movie in 2020 or 2021 and they weren’t decided on if it’d a sequel or an opening to a new series.

so for those thinking this would bring hope on the leaks not being true and season 9 not being the final season... Sorry still not likely the case.

Not bad news for me, I actually like the idea of a movie transitioning into the next generation of the franchise. It's naturally easier to give a great show the appropriate finale it deserves with a full-length movie rather than a TV special. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, another strike against the leak naysayers, as said movie was indeed one of the main contents in said leaks. Looks like they are aiming for a 2021 release, instead of a 2020 however, but said possibility was considered as well, but looks like it’ll be CGI/3D, which match what was discussed in the leaks as well. There’s a debate of it is going to be a Pony Movie sequel, or a stand-alone opening for the G5 that, with this news, it’s almost guaranteed to come. Let’s consider these scenarios:

1-I’ll be a FIM pony movie sequel: personally, it’s very unlikely at this point. FIM will be close to, if not in it’s tenth year, which is a time it could wrap-up. However, we now know the official release date of said movie is 2021, so it’s possible FIM would have a tenth season, or wrap-it up with specials, since they are starting to become rather prominent

2- I’ll be the G5 opener: personally, this will be the most likely scenario, as what we last know regarding it in the leaks, leant towards that scenario. Many are in what I consider a wishful thinking, by suggesting it will be a FIM film introducing the G5 artstyle, and the new characters who will lead the next show. I’d love that to happen, being some sort of soft reboot to FIM, but again, I consider this ideal and wishful, not expecting it to become reality

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

*Sigh*.  I'm probably the only demented wackjob in the whole fandom who thinks this is bad news.  I love MLP.  Really I do.  I swear!  But in many ways, I just want it to end.  I didn't like the 2017 movie (particularly the animation change, which, imo, made them look completely not like themselves), and recent seasons have certainly been an up and down roller coaster ride of quality, in my opinion.  I just want the show, and the entire G4 franchise, to end on a good note, and then be done and stay done.  I probably feel this way due to the fact that so many things I have loved have continued for too long, seeing too many seasons and too many sequels, and went down the tubes.  The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory are a couple of prominent examples.  (I dislike the direction TBBT went in the latter half of the show, and the less said about modern Simpsons, the better.)  If you don't agree with me on those examples, how about the Disney Star Wars movies, hmm?  The point is, I want my beloved ponies to end on a good note and not go downhill.  I want a great S9, and that's it.  I don't want another bad movie.

I'm sorry if I'm being a thundercloud on everyone's sunny day.  If you're super pumped, then please don't let my stupid rantings spoil your ride on the hype train.  And no, that's not sarcasm.  I really mean it.  If you're looking forward to this, then have a blast and pay me no mind.  I'm weird and have problems.  :scoots:

You can thank all the veteran writers jumping ship early. If we still had them then the past few seasons would've been way better, but instead here we are.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know how much of the leaks will end up legit but I just find it hard to imagine Hasbro moving away from these characters right now. The current likenesses have become ubiquitous on merchandise, especially Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash; and they still are pretty strong sellers. I feel like they'll have a Snoopy or Bart Simpson like longevity. So I'm assuming this will involve G4 in some form unless official announcements imply otherwise; especially since Twilight and Spike are on the graphic (They could just as easily have used Micronauts or GI Joe if they weren't planning to do G4).

That being said I do hope they make narrative execution a higher priority next time. I don't really care if it's 3D or 2D animation, as long as it looks nice and is as entertaining as the series' better episodes. Travis Knight's work on Bumblebee gives me hope that Paramount may prioritize artistic quality more than Lionsgate now.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, n1029 said:

I don't know how much of the leaks will end up legit but I just find it hard to imagine Hasbro moving away from these characters right now. The current likenesses have become ubiquitous on merchandise, especially Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash; and they still are pretty strong sellers. I feel like they'll have a Snoopy or Bart Simpson like longevity. So I'm assuming this will involve G4 in some form unless official announcements imply otherwise; especially since Twilight and Spike are on the graphic (They could just have easily have used Micronauts or GI Joe if they weren't planning to do G4).

That being said I do hope they make narrative execution a higher priority next time. I don't really care if it's 3D or 2D animation, as long as it looks nice and is as entertaining as the series' better episodes. Travis Knight's work on Bumblebee gives me hope that Paramount may prioritize artistic quality more than Lionsgate now.

Well, for me everything seen in the leaks has been real, and this is yet another fine example. It was written it was going to be tentatively in 2020, but makes sense to see the news of a delay because it was a long-term plan. Then again, they where indecisive will be G5 or something, but strongly leaning to. Then again, we don’t know what exactly will be G5, as they where just throwing ideas last was known in the leaks 

I'm not too thrilled about seeing a new movie announced, mainly because it says it will be 3D. Toy story came out almost 24 years ago (I was in 1st grade :mlp_blink:), so at this point I'm pretty bored of 3D CGI stuff. This long and the movement of characters is still "off" (glidy) due to too much averaging because it's "easier." It just bugs me.

It all pretty much kind of looks generally the same too. 2D animation is tends to look more unique and interesting to me, that is the better stuff anyways.

I hope the upcoming movie is related to G5, as I'm just not too interested in the current Mane 6 in 3D CGI.

Since I saw this announcement I just keep picturing poorly made SFM 3D in my head. :scoots:

1766584908_rdaghast.png.f07b8b485c7de23491a8c95c15b46892.png

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

You can thank all the veteran writers jumping ship early. If we still had them then the past few seasons would've been way better, but instead here we are.

Amen to that, brother.

Also, I just noticed that the page on Equestria Daily said it's a 3D/CGI movie.  Oh, dear Celestia, we're doomed.  Please don't let it be a G4 movie.  Please let it just be a completely fresh take on a new G5 thing.  Then it won't bother me.  (Might even be good!)  But I don't want them changing G4 characters into CG.  Please, Celestia, no.  And this may sound hypocritical, since I myself made some fancy 3D pony models, (available on my redbubble page.  Self plug!  :laugh:) but that's different!  That's fan art!  Fan art can be anything!  But we don't want them changing the look of the show!  It's supposed to be 2D for a reason.  You change that, and it's not the same show/universe/characters anymore.  That's how I feel about it.  Please be G5 so I won't care!

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Amen to that, brother.

Also, I just noticed that the page on Equestria Daily said it's a 3D/CGI movie.  Oh, dear Celestia, we're doomed.  Please don't let it be a G4 movie.  Please let it just be a completely fresh take on a new G5 thing.  Then it won't bother me.  (Might even be good!)  But I don't want them changing G4 characters into CG.  Please, Celestia, no.  And this may sound hypocritical, since I myself made some fancy 3D pony models, (available on my redbubble page.  Self plug!  :laugh:) but that's different!  That's fan art!  Fan art can be anything!  But we don't want them changing the look of the show!  It's supposed to be 2D for a reason.  You change that, and it's not the same show/universe/characters anymore.  That's how I feel about it.  Please be G5 so I won't care!

Agreed. I loved the animation of the 2017 movie - the use of Toonboom gave a distinct style change but it was still recognisably "our" ponies, and it was truely gorgeous - the animation and artwork of the movie were its greatest strengths (well, it certainly wasn't the plot :mlp_okiedokieloki:)

I have doubts that, even with a greater production budget, cgi will reach the bar that movie set, and 3D was a gimmick that's now done, just let it go.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first movie was soo awesome!!! I cannot wait for the next movie Gen 5 or not!!! I am embracing change as I would like to admit, it is personally tiring to see the same ponies defreat the same or new enemies. It would be amazing to have different characters, or even jumbled up versions of Twilight, Rainbow, Pinkie, Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy. Damnnit, even Spike perhaps being a dependent character. 

Anyways, furthermore the point, I cannot wait to see the new developments they make to the MLP Franchise!! I just hope that unlike what they did with many other kids shows when changing the demographic that they don't mess up with this one. Perhaps bring back the female writers... Not meaning to be sexist, but the Lauren Faust episodes always rocked with me!!! 

Hope some of y'all agree!!

Burning Dusk.

• Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...