Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Capsule Hotels? Your thoughts?

Dreambiscuit

Has anyone here ever stayed at a Capsule Hotel? Here’s a link for those who aren’t familiar with them.

We don’t have many in the US that I know of and I’ve never seen one in person, but I’d love to try one out. Does anyone here have any first-hand experiences with them? Are they comfortable, quiet, safe? Please describe your experiences. And for those who have not been to a Capsule Hotel, would you be stay in one if you had the opportunity? What are the pros and cons?

• Brohoof 1

As the video says, these work best in hostels, but I don't think they'll catch on very well, particularly in the US. Here there's an appreciation for space, and while that can be wasteful, we have to remember that versatility is another key virtue here. A hotel room has to be ready for quiet individuals, romantic couples, rambunctious kids, and even work teams. If your job is to set up sound equipment and you need to keep all of that gear in a safe place over night most chain hotels will provide a roo. With adequate space.

One area this could be seen as useful is for student housing, but kids already get stir crazy having to spend hours in a single small bedroom where they have communal bathrooms and showers. Other public spaces provided for work eating and study are nice, but they're still shared spaces and we need to be able to escape from that. It's bad enough knowing that you share multiple walls with other people, but doing that in the space the size of a bathroom stall is worse. You can have your moments of complete silence where you don't see anyone and they don't see you, but you know someone is right around the corner, so you're privacy still isn't truly existent. Plus it's just easier to maintain decades old blocks of concrete and raise tuition annually than build pods.

While I personally think the pod experience would be interesting, it's really a glorified enclosed bunk bed, and I think it'd get stuffy for me.

I would love to try one myself! I love small spaces and wouldn't mind it...I think. XD

These look cool and a nice cheap alternative to the average hotels we see here. Closest I've actually had to staying in one of these was in a walk-in closet, which was big enough to fit a cot in there. That said, I don't ever see these taking off in the US since we're such a loud an obnoxious country

• Brohoof 1

I'm someone who spends no money in general so I wouldn't even pay for a hotel room to begin with especially as they are overpriced. Yet capsule hotels are an exception to this as they at least are interesting while most hotels are overpriced they are actually cheap and make sense to me. When you stay at a hotel you only do so as you feel hostels are dangerous and motels usually don't appeal to you either. Yet both hostels and motels are preferably over those overly expensive hotels.

Though having that interesting Japanese aspect to is reason enough for me to want to try one and I have been thinking of doing so. So yes they are awesome in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

I’ve seen these hotels being put in airports, which seems like a good idea, especially for people with long layovers who don’t want to navigate a strange city looking for a regular hotel, or for those who don’t want to sleep on a bench in the terminal. I don’t think I’d want to try it for a long-term stay, but for quick utility stopovers it might just be the right solution. And then there’s the novelty, which is the real selling point for me. It’s probably not the ideal choice for families with kids.   

• Brohoof 2

they are looking neat and got plenty of space for your stuff tbh.. but i'd feel like i'm dead by lying in one of those things lol.. soo.. no thank you

While I like small spaces, I would not go to such a hotel if I could avoid it. I don't know, maybe if I had to go to that country for business (and got paid really well for it) but could only sleep there or something. Maybe. Otherwise, no. I would rather spend more money and get a proper room with a separate toilet etc or, if it's too expensive, not go there at all.

I like small spaces, but I also prefer to be well separated from other people and also have some space to place my stuff.