Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Would you trade old talents for new?

Dreambiscuit

Now that you’ve had a chance to break in and polish what talents you were born with, are you happy with the ones you have or do you think it would be better to have a different skill set? Maybe you’re a genius with paint and brush but would prefer to be a great singer. Maybe you’re a technical genius but have the heart of a dancer. Are there areas of natural ability you wish you could trade in for something else? If so, what would you trade and what would you choose as a replacement?

• Brohoof 1

Not really. The thing is that my particular skills are also my interests (this is probably true for everyone). So, it would be bad for me if I suddenly couldn't do something that I can do right now, even if I got some other skill in its place, because the way I do things (my job, hobbies etc) is based on my skills.

• Brohoof 1

I'll trade my talent of having no talent for other talents of the talented variety. Talently. I was not born with any talents whatsoever. I don't believe anyone is born with any talent. All of that comes later and you either have what it takes or you don't. I am in the latter. 

I love working with my hands, cooking, translating languages, and proofreading, so no. Because there's only so much a person can do, and part of being any kind of success is knowing your limits. Plus, it takes about 10,000 hours to be a master at anything. 

When you consider that the system we live under expects us all to completely revamp our skillsets every 5 or so years, it's next-level insanity. People aren't built for this. And don't let anyone smooze you with this talk about hard work beats natural talent, because any career you pursue, whether or not you think you have to, is going to require natural talent. You can work hard at it, but there'll always be somebody better. 

Edited by Sasoriman

Like pretty much everyone here I don’t think I’d want to trade away any talents I have. There are some I’d love to acquire but I’d have to give away something I don’t often use. I think maybe I’d trade being handy at fixing little things for a good singing voice. That way I could get someone else to do the handy work and I could just relax and sing a tune while I watch them toil.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Cistbiscuit said:

Now that you’ve had a chance to break in and polish what talents you were born with, are you happy with the ones you have or do you think it would be better to have a different skill set? Maybe you’re a genius with paint and brush but would prefer to be a great singer. Maybe you’re a technical genius but have the heart of a dancer. Are there areas of natural ability you wish you could trade in for something else? If so, what would you trade and what would you choose as a replacement?

Maybe we can look at it a little differently. I am sure not everyone agrees that people are born with talents. But if it was true, being able to trade our born talents for something that is more fun, would be great!

As for learning new things, and add it to your talents list, I say, it is possible! It just takes a long long time, and dedication. Sometimes it might not be worth it. Sometimes it is worth everything, even getting you a completely new life worth more than your old one!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I have yet to find any talent, though I don't think I have any. If I did have a talent though that I was constantly using, I would want to keep it rather than trade it for a different talent, unless it was a talent for something that I lack passion and love in.

Nope! I feel like changing any of my positive attributes would essentially cause me to be someone I'm not. Yes, a lot of the things I'm good at aren't as applicable as other things that I wish I was capable of, but at the end of the day, that's what makes me who I am. I'd never trade that. :rarity:

• 2 weeks later...