• Chrysalis
    • Sombra
    • Tirek
    • Starlight(season 5)
    • Pony of shadows(S7 finale)
    • Tempest(movie)
    • Storm king
    • Cozy glow
  2. 2. Who was the worst minor antagonist?

• Diamond tiara(& Silver spoon) seasons 1-5
    • Suri polomare
    • Spoiled rich
    • Lightning dust
    • Svengallop
    • Flim and Flam
    • Garble(before redemption)
    • Sludge
    • Wind rider
    • Neighsay (Season 8)
    • Gilda (season 1)
    • Other (please specify)

There were many antagonists in the series, but who were in your opinion the worst? You can look at it from a writing perspective(preferably not because "they were redeemed and I hate" or something like this) or vote depending on whom you simply dislike the most. :scoots:

I made 2 polls, 1 for major villains, 1 for regular SOL antagonists. Sine there are so many antagonists I chose just the ones I see mentioned the most. If you have other suggestions you can mention them. Obviously, supporting characters are not to be included, if you choose a character that was reformed, refer to the period they were still antagonistic.

• Brohoof 1

Who was the worst big bad?

That would have to be The Storm King for me. I thought he was a lame villain. 

Who was the worst minor antagonist?

Flim and Flam. Two one-note antagonists who overstayed their welcome after their first appearance. 

• Brohoof 4

Honestly I mostly enjoyed the antagonists in Friendship is Magic. Of the ones listed from the show, Svengallop is the only one who I never had any interest in. Listing My Little Pony: The Movie characters makes the villain category easier, because that thing is significantly below the standard set by the show. But I think the really bad villains are all in Equestria Girls. Juniper Montage... worst character in either series? 

For the major, its the aptly named PoS. Storm King has some fun moments, PoS though was soooo unforgettable 

For minor it’s the Flim Flam Bros and Garble, they’re those kids you met once and hated so much you never wanna see them again, but you constantly see them every week anyway because your parents insist you’ll like them eventually 

I was tempted to pick Cinch because while I’d admit she was pretty effective, she was, and still is, an unwelcomed addition to Friendship Games 

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

But I think the really bad villains are all in Equestria Girls. Juniper Montage... worst character in either series? 

Valencia Vingette was worse

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, Megas said:

Valencia Vingette was worse

I thought she was a bit funnier but I don't understand why either of them were given a second chance, they're both terrible people. 

• Brohoof 1

Worst big bad? Starlight gets that trophy from me. Her introduction was terrible. She was a Mary Sue right out of the gate, able to overpower the Mane 6 with no effort. Her actions were horrible. Enslaving an entire town and nearly destroying everything by screwing with time itself. Her motivation was pathetic. A friend has to leave so let's brainwash a town of ponies and mess with time. The end result? Forgiveness towards her. That is trash. I liked her more as a character later on but as a villain? She is the worst one to me, by far.

• Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

That would have to be The Storm King for me. I thought he was a lame villain. 

Flim and Flam. Two one-note antagonists who overstayed their welcome after their first appearance. 

This...This exactly!

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Worst big bad? Starlight gets that trophy from me. Her introduction was terrible. She was a Mary Sue right out of the gate, able to overpower the Mane 6 with no effort. Her actions were horrible. Enslaving an entire town and nearly destroying everything by screwing with time itself. Her motivation was pathetic. A friend has to leave so let's brainwash a town of ponies and mess with time. The end result? Forgiveness towards her. That is trash. I liked her more as a character later on but as a villain? She is the worst one to me, by far.

I dont know i quite like her all in all and i dont even consider her a villain... I mean when is one considered a villain and a hero?.... Who ever loses becomes the villain....

For example.... If the axis won...who would be the villain? The allies.

11 hours ago, Megas said:

For the major, its the aptly named PoS. Storm King has some fun moments, PoS though was soooo unforgettable

Agreed, the SK was pretty flat but he had more flare and did more than POS, who other than having a cool design was lame. 

11 hours ago, Megas said:

I was tempted to pick Cinch because while I’d admit she was pretty effective, she was, and still is, an unwelcomed addition to Friendship Games 

I dislike her as well, but I think she was written well and was effective in her role, she is the kind of villain you suppose to hate. 

16 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

These 2 are definitely my least favorite antagonists(actually characters overall) as well. 

12 hours ago, Megas said:

For minor it’s the Flim Flam Bros and Garble, they’re those kids you met once and hated so much you never wanna see them again, but you constantly see them every week anyway because your parents insist you’ll like them eventually 

Personally, I did not care much for Garble, I didn't like nor dislike him, he was just there for me so when he was reformed I didn't really care. On counterair, I enjoyed DT & SS more, while they were pretty awful while they were still active in the show, I kinda enjoyed watching them.

• Brohoof 2

Pony of Shadows, Storm king, and Starlight share the podium. Not bad. There's still hope for villainy yet. Though, I might add that Storm King and S09 Sombra have quite a few similarities. In fact, if you'd replace the model of Storm King with that of Sombra there'd be no difference.

In the end, the only two decent villains are Tirek and Cozy. Chrysalis is an angsty hobo, Sombra is every evil ruler ever, Discord is an allegory for a writer's little ****, and the rest are just tragic past trash.

37 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Pony of Shadows, Storm king, and Starlight share the podium. Not bad. There's still hope for villainy yet. Though, I might add that Storm King and S09 Sombra have quite a few similarities. In fact, if you'd replace the model of Storm King with that of Sombra there'd be no difference.

In the end, the only two decent villains are Tirek and Cozy. Chrysalis is an angsty hobo, Sombra is every evil ruler ever, Discord is an allegory for a writer's little ****, and the rest are just tragic past trash.

I'm afraid I disagree on that. Sombra is the most pathetic and easily beaten villain on the show. His ass got handed to him twice, each time on a single episode and with close to no effort at all. We were told he was incredibly dangerous and he fell way too short to represent an actual threat twice. He was a huge case of informed power. They said but didn't show and that's why he's the worst villain on the show.

Pony of shadow is a conceptual villain rather than your average cartoony villain. He feels out of place for the show tone because he is pure grief and resentment. He was more likely a shadow from persona than a villain for a saturday morning cartoon. Cool idea in the wrong place. He also helped far more with lore than Sombra did. The other big problem with pony of shadow is that he feels repeated thanks to the nightmare force that generated Nightmaremoon. We could even argue he is yet another nightmare force of sorts. Not the worst because he actually made the cast think out of the box for his defeat. 

Monkeytaur was okayish I guess. His defeat was lazy writen though he as a villain did ok. He played a Cell all the way until he was ready to steal the power of the alicorns. But as usual, they pulled a rainbow orbital canon out of their ass to take him out.

Starlight and Cozy work in a different way from the rest, but similar to each other. Both are unlikely powerful villains and they obviously seem to be bitting more than they can actually chew, except they manage to chew that and even more through their wits rather than brute force like Cheesse queen, Monkeytaur, Sombrero, Nightmaremoon, Discord, the embodiment of angst and Monke the second. Starlight made a strategy to lock down Twiggles in a loop without getting tired herself, and slowly beat Twi down. They couldn't take her down at all, and had to negotiate instead. Starlight pretty much won at the end of the day. Cozy was a manipulative bitch and sort of evil master mind that most of the time didn't have to do the dirty laundry herself, and she knew it. That's what makes her a dangerous villain. She didn't need to risk herself and just moved everyone else as pawns, using her wits and charm to carry out her plans.

As for Storm king Monke the second, well, the movie was bad and so was the villain. He was at the level of the plot. Not much to say about him. Still not the worst given he had more lines than sombrero and he was an actual threat to the point his attack managed to withdraw the mane 6 and look for allies to face him and his army.

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I'm afraid I disagree on that. Sombra is the most pathetic and easily beaten villain on the show. His ass got handed to him twice, each time on a single episode and with close to no effort at all. We were told he was incredibly dangerous and he fell way too short to represent an actual threat twice. He was a huge case of informed power. They said but didn't show and that's why he's the worst villain on the show.

King Sombra was really interesting and menacing in Season 3, however in the end of the show when he was shown he had that really out of character voice and was quite underwhelming compared to my expectations. I really don't like how they killed him off that quickly. They really needed to do much more with him.  The writers of the show really cast aside a potentially interesting villain, but his backstory in the comics and fanfic interpretations of him are why he is one of my favorite.

1 hour ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Pony of shadow is a conceptual villain rather than your average cartoony villain. He feels out of place for the show tone because he is pure grief and resentment. He was more likely a shadow from persona than a villain for a saturday morning cartoon. Cool idea in the wrong place. He also helped far more with lore than Sombra did. The other big problem with pony of shadow is that he feels repeated thanks to the nightmare force that generated Nightmaremoon. We could even argue he is yet another nightmare force of sorts. Not the worst because he actually made the cast think out of the box for his defeat. 

Monkeytaur was okayish I guess. His defeat was lazy writen though he as a villain did ok. He played a Cell all the way until he was ready to steal the power of the alicorns. But as usual, they pulled a rainbow orbital canon out of their ass to take him out.

Starlight and Cozy work in a different way from the rest, but similar to each other. Both are unlikely powerful villains and they obviously seem to be bitting more than they can actually chew, except they manage to chew that and even more through their wits rather than brute force like Cheesse queen, Monkeytaur, Sombrero, Nightmaremoon, Discord, the embodiment of angst and Monke the second. Starlight made a strategy to lock down Twiggles in a loop without getting tired herself, and slowly beat Twi down. They couldn't take her down at all, and had to negotiate instead. Starlight pretty much won at the end of the day. Cozy was a manipulative bitch and sort of evil master mind that most of the time didn't have to do the dirty laundry herself, and she knew it. That's what makes her a dangerous villain. She didn't need to risk herself and just moved everyone else as pawns, using her wits and charm to carry out her plans.

As for Storm king Monke the second, well, the movie was bad and so was the villain. He was at the level of the plot. Not much to say about him. Still not the worst given he had more lines than sombrero and he was an actual threat to the point his attack managed to withdraw the mane 6 and look for allies to face him and his army.

It is not my ranking, just an observation. As stated, only decent villains are Tirek and Cozy, but it is nice that most of the forumgoers in the thread aren't just mindlessly parroting the usual "I like everything" talking points.

Sombrero is indeed up there as a bad villain. I place him with Storm King since they both fulfill the same role of a despotic ruler. It's all about acting. In MLP, villains like that need good lines and excellent VAs since the rating restrains them.

Spoiler

Starlight is an abomination that got her power level increased for the sole purpose of a lesson soapbox. She didn't tire Twilight out. She's not one of The Boys fighting Homelander. She is the "superhero" in this context. Now, if she was like Stormfront ... but that's more of a Cozy thing. In Starlight's case, out glorious writers wanted a soapbox in order to browbeat people about how they shouldn't do this and that lest some sissy inexplicably turns into an invulnerable cyborg pirate ninja Jesus super saiyan until we all apologize for our sins. That's the problem here. The damn soapbox. It possesses the uncanny ability to make shitty writing even shittier.

Now, PoS has two problems. First one is the super saiyan soapbox used to extort friendship. The second one is indeed the concept that was badly executed. Dark magic can be done right even in family shows; however, the ones doing the writing must understand how to best implement it. If you don't understand fantasy, then don't write it. Expanding lore does not cover the costs, at least not with the lore we've gotten. Pretty meh. If you ask me, the Pillars should be pushing up daisies not prancing around live and well.

I'm in the Storm King + Flim Flam boat. I just honestly feel their not... the best at being villains. Flim and Flam just annoy me, 'Give us your bits' aren't my favorite type of antagonists. The Storm King had Tempest do all of his work, and that's really just lazy. If your gonna be bad, and use teamwork, DON'T just have the other one do all the hard stuff. :mlp_xJpg51C:

That's just my opinion though.

Well... Now that i think about it...king sombra was kinda dumb..... Hahahaha... Just got in his city then poof dead.... He shouldve tactfully retreated and made the whole season more cautious of his existance.... That wouldve made him very interesting....but alas he ded.

Pony of shadows wouldve been awesome if he regained his powers...but alas... He istg in his weaketh state....

Cozy glow is awesome too! The non magical villain in the show!

Tirek..... Mehh

Chrysalis.....alot of wasted potential is what i think.... She couldve been more.... Like reformed but actually didn't! She wouldve been very interesting to be a back stabin B.

• Brohoof 1

Pony Of Shadows.

He largely just stood there (MENACINGLY!) and monologued, and he was the only villain to not even get a near-victory (say what you will about Storm King, but at least he briefly got what he'd wanted).

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

It is not my ranking, just an observation. As stated, only decent villains are Tirek and Cozy, but it is nice that most of the forumgoers in the thread aren't just mindlessly parroting the usual "I like everything" talking points.

Sombrero is indeed up there as a bad villain. I place him with Storm King since they both fulfill the same role of a despotic ruler. It's all about acting. In MLP, villains like that need good lines and excellent VAs since the rating restrains them.

Reveal hidden contents

Starlight is an abomination that got her power level increased for the sole purpose of a lesson soapbox. She didn't tire Twilight out. She's not one of The Boys fighting Homelander. She is the "superhero" in this context. Now, if she was like Stormfront ... but that's more of a Cozy thing. In Starlight's case, out glorious writers wanted a soapbox in order to browbeat people about how they shouldn't do this and that lest some sissy inexplicably turns into an invulnerable cyborg pirate ninja Jesus super saiyan until we all apologize for our sins. That's the problem here. The damn soapbox. It possesses the uncanny ability to make shitty writing even shittier.

Now, PoS has two problems. First one is the super saiyan soapbox used to extort friendship. The second one is indeed the concept that was badly executed. Dark magic can be done right even in family shows; however, the ones doing the writing must understand how to best implement it. If you don't understand fantasy, then don't write it. Expanding lore does not cover the costs, at least not with the lore we've gotten. Pretty meh. If you ask me, the Pillars should be pushing up daisies not prancing around live and well.

Hrm, once again, Starlight's was mostly strategy than brute force. Is a common thing on chess and many tcg to excecute lock downs and wear your oponent down steadily. Is also the point on sieges and blockades. Cut the resource lines and wait. Build up a good wall and make your oponent waste resources and get tired as it tries to break through and recover the lines. A tired out oponent is likely to commit mistakes where one can counter, and so an oponent with lesser resources is easier to beat down than one at full force. She really wasn't above twilight on power, she just had prepared herself better to face her. We could see it on her timing (taking her on separate from her allies) and on her strategy (attacking the source of her real power and merely slowing her down predicting her actions). The fact that Twilight had to give in and resort to a soapbox speech means she was pretty much fucked beyond what she could deal with with cheer force and strategy. That it worked is because child-oriented tv shows can pull it out due their nature.

PoS suffered from the softcore weak point we see on any symbiotic force that depends on the host to actually do something. Is merely a trope driven "villain". They just invoked the obvious solution trope on it and solved the issue. Though I agree, the pillars should have stayed feeding the worms rather than Capn Murica their existence on modern equestria.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Hrm, once again, Starlight's was mostly strategy than brute force. Is a common thing on chess and many tcg to excecute lock downs and wear your oponent down steadily. Is also the point on sieges and blockades. Cut the resource lines and wait. Build up a good wall and make your oponent waste resources and get tired as it tries to break through and recover the lines. A tired out oponent is likely to commit mistakes where one can counter, and so an oponent with lesser resources is easier to beat down than one at full force. She really wasn't above twilight on power, she just had prepared herself better to face her. We could see it on her timing (taking her on separate from her allies) and on her strategy (attacking the source of her real power and merely slowing her down predicting her actions). The fact that Twilight had to give in and resort to a soapbox speech means she was pretty much fucked beyond what she could deal with with cheer force and strategy. That it worked is because child-oriented tv shows can pull it out due their nature.

PoS suffered from the softcore weak point we see on any symbiotic force that depends on the host to actually do something. Is merely a trope driven "villain". They just invoked the obvious solution trope on it and solved the issue. Though I agree, the pillars should have stayed feeding the worms rather than Capn Murica their existence on modern equestria.

I support this

I still think trixie is still the most great and powerful villain ever....

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Well... Now that i think about it...king sombra was kinda dumb..... Hahahaha... Just got in his city then poof dead.... He shouldve tactfully retreated and made the whole season more cautious of his existance.... That wouldve made him very interesting....but alas he ded.

Pony of shadows wouldve been awesome if he regained his powers...but alas... He istg in his weaketh state....

Cozy glow is awesome too! The non magical villain in the show!

Tirek..... Mehh

Chrysalis.....alot of wasted potential is what i think.... She couldve been more.... Like reformed but actually didn't! She wouldve been very interesting to be a back stabin B.

They really had a lot of lost potential the writers should have taken into account.

And Starlight is the best villain to me - as she is the one that got me into the show. 

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Gracefully surviving your opponent's attacks is not strategy. Flying around while casting spells is not weakness. If Starlight had to run around like a maniac until Twilight got tired that would be true; however, this was no such boxing match. Plus, Starlight got tired too, which puts your argument to rest ... but then both of them recovered instantly, so nothing actually matters. And it was not Twilight that had the soapbox speech; it was the writer with the crummy friendship lesson behind it. If not for that FIM directive, Twilight would have to actually use her brains to pull herself out of the sticky situation instead of acknowledging that violence is a good reason to befriend someone.

Spoiler

If Starlight was actually such a villain, then why didn't she capture Twilight like Cozy did her? Why was she able to face her head on? That is not how you deal with sups if you are weak.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, none of the big threatening villains were unlikable to me. They all had their different styles and strengths, but I can't really pick one who is the worst. MAYBE Sombra in Season 3, but his strength was all in the setup and how terrifying and powerful he is. At least in Season 9 we saw him at full action.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Worst Big baddie, for me it's Stormking, he's just so lame. Worst minor villain that's easy for me, Diamond Tiara. You can say all you want on how she has been redeemed and so and so. But nothing can redeem her of her actions against the CMC, I MEAN NOTHING. Remember her blackmailing the CMC in Ponyville Confidential and isn't blackmailing a felony. I just hate Diamond Tiara on so many levels.