Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much longer should FiM go before MLP transitions into G5?

Zenoctilles

It should continue as long as it can provide the same quality we've come to expect, and not a minute of air time more. I love G4, but to wish it to last forever is not possible. Any show, if you keep it going on, will eventually degrade. Unfortunately, I can quite see it happening, since this is a lucrative franchise (speaking only G4 even). Corporations and syndicates will always follow this pattern, it's a consequence of their business models. An exception to prove the rule is Calvin and Hobbes. The creator, Bill Watterson, fought long and hard against the corporations and syndications that sought to take his creative control away, and was able to draw his cartoon (no pun intended) to a dignified close because of it. Indeed, more than dignified, well-nigh evocative... "It's a wonderful world, Hobbes, old buddy. Let's go exploring!"

I hate to be the doomsayer here, but sad to say, in the case of FiM, the driving creative force has already left the show (except as a creative consultant - which let's face it, could mean anything), so the C&H route is already closed. Hasbro can (and probably will) drive G4 into the ground, only abandoning it when they feel they can get no more out of it. Visions of the Fonz waterskiing over a shark spring to mind (thank you, TVTropes.) I mean, look at Kim Possible, and what happened in only four (or is it five? I forget) seasons. After the inevitable collapse, I'd predict quite a break of time before anything like a G5 came out, but as to the nature of it, anyone's guess is as good as the next. Provided I'm still alive, I'll give it a chance, but I won't pin any hopes on it.

tl;dr - FiM should only last as long as it is good quality, and then end. G5 is a thing for the future, and it's impossible to predict what it will be like.

What hasbro needs to consider before making an IP shift is realize that the Brony Fanbase is the first of its kind. They are exploring new territory with FiM. G4 is going to continue whether they like it or not through fan made episodes. This wasn't possible with other shows and cartoons that eventually got cancelled. FiM is unique because its fanbase has the know-how in creating Flash animation and everything that comes with production.

From a business standpoint, G4 should last as long as there is a massive following (not necessarily Bronies) and they are making money off of it. As far as running out of ideas goes, there's always a way to think of new plots and so forth. Even if it does get a little dry, the bottom line is all that matters to Hasbro.

Here's a warning message to all Bronies too. When there's an IP shift by Hasbro for MLP, the fanbase is going to break down. I've seen it countless time in media where an IP shifts, and its fanbase splits on the idea of change. Sometimes some people from the side that dislikes the change will come around and watch the new generation anyways, but same goes for the side that likes. In this case, some bronies will embrace G 4.5 or 5 (it doesn't matter) but others will continue in making fan MLP:FiM.

TL; DR

Hasbro will continue making G4 until it is no longer profitable. When they shift to the next generation, some fans will embrace the change and others will cling to what's familiar.

I love G4 so much, and don't want it to end anytime soon, but when the time comes, I would accept it. As long as they continue the kind of art they're using now (I found the previous MLP shows to be kinda creepy) and continue to use intelligent writing and listen to the community, I welcome G5 to come.

most magical girl franchises (with the exception of the ever ongoing pretty cure) last from four to five seasons, so i'm thinking G4 will last just as long as a normal magical girl series. i'd like to see a movie before it ends though, whether tv or theatrical.

I think FiM will last for a few season more at least, so G5 will probably arrived sometime in the 2020s.

I'm just hoping that G4 will be run as long as possible. Unlike every other generation before G4, G4 is a global success, to age groups no one ever saw coming. So I'm hoping there will be numerous more seasons and other things before we even start to talk about a G5. Don't fix something that isn't broken. I can understand changing things to mix it up like you're saying Zen, but this is media, and sometimes even slight changes can cost you a lot, if people don't all respond the way you want them too.

Totally agree.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I want to see at least two more seasons and a movie.

Personally, i think a movie would just ruin it all. Sure, all of the brony community would watch it, but think about what happened to yugioh... the movie ruined it. i just dont want to take any chances

Honestly a G5 simply isn't needed. I don't know how successful previous generations were, but those successes probably pale in comparison to this one. G4 is not only superbly popular and an awesome show, but it essentially turned the entire concept of MLP on its head. Personally, I hope that whenever G4 ends(which I don't think will be for a while), we get something like a G4.5 where its the same universe and art style, but the new mane characters are grown up versions of fillies from the show. As for a movie...I think it can work. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I can see FiM ending after Season 3, and then we'll get a Generation 4.5 with new main characters but in the same "universe".

I have to agree with you on the 4.5 part. I basically said that in my post: same universe and art style, but different characters and probably a new theme.

Edited by JesstroidPrime
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly i would like it to follow the target audience in age. Slowly working up to issues caused in teenage years and then when the target audience hits about 20 shift it into 4.5 and follow the younger crowd of ponies, respark it back to a younger audience.