Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

IDW reveals more of "Return To Canterlot" + Discord in G5?

phantompone1148

• The title was changed to IDW reveals more of "Return To Canterlot" + Discord in G5?

The horn does look very much like it belongs to Discord. The fact that it's detached from him could imply that he's "dead" (yeah, I'm not sure how an immortal chaos lord could die either, my only theory being that he faded away with the magic) rather than returning, however. 

• Brohoof 2

Discord's horn is the only thing I can think of that that thing-Sunny-is-holding might be.

I have to say, though...this is making me think of the Beetlejuice cartoon series:  I think I read that, in that cartoon, Beetlejuice lost his powers if he wasn't in one piece, so maybe Discord needs that horn to be able to do anything.

If that's not how IDW is going to play it, though, then something really powerful destroyed Discord...there were only a few things that could:  the Elements of Harmony, Grogar's Bell, and Tirek's magic-absorption.  And those last two weren't fatal, either.  So whatever killed Discord is either something we haven't yet seen...or a plot hole introduced by writers who can't be bothered to do research :/

• Brohoof 2

Bringing Discord back would a really quick and easy way to kill any interest I could have had in the comics

• Brohoof 3

Now that I think about it, the description said a 'familiar figure', not a 'familiar princess' or 'familiar pony'

I know it's a small detail (possibly even a nitpick), but I think it makes sense that'd it'd be someone that's not a pony. Plus, I think it'd be interesting to see the lord of chaos return after who knows how long

• Brohoof 2

Ah, IDW, the burial ground of characters, concepts, and ambitions. It is likely that H-Bro didn't take MLP away from them cause they're not confident in G5. It's better that they throw Discord into this trashcan than into the main show.

So apparently sometime between the end of G4 and the beginning of G5 Canterlot become some kind of desolate ruins.  Interesting.  For such an important location from the previous series to gain such a massive change, I hope that this isn't something regulated only to the comics.  Because if this was happened to Canterlot, I'm interested in seeing what happened to other parts of Equestria previously covered inf FiM, and that is something I hope the show proper gets to explore.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

If the horn is detached from discord, does that mean he's dead? If so, what caused it? Was it the disappearances of all magic? I'm pretty sure G4 said that discord is directly connected with chaos magic and when he was a bit too normal, he started to fade away, but if that is true, than what is his horn doing here?

• Brohoof 1

Canterlot has certainly seen better days judging from that first cover. One has to wonder how many years or even centuries it's been since it had apparently been abandoned.

• Brohoof 1

You do know that Discord detached his horn several times one time he even use his horn like a drinking glass. I'm pretty sure if that's supposed to be the actual Discord horn it would be much more serious. honestly I much rather wait and see

• Brohoof 1

That does look like discord's horn, but I'm not sure what this means for the character. It seems like he will be mentioned in this comic, but whether or not he is still alive or will return is unknown. The overall concept for this comic seems like a very interesting one, first with the characters rediscovering Canterlot, and now with the horn. That being said, I don't know why these things are being done in IDW comic form rather than be explored in the animated specials or MYM series. The very poorly written and executed season 10 comics make me worry for these comics, even though the synopsis has a lot of potential. Hopefully it will be well written.

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Landi said:

The very poorly written and executed season 10 comics make me worry for these comics, even though the synopsis has a lot of potential. Hopefully it will be well written.

Do these G-5 comics have the same writers?  Or is there a way to tell at this point?

1 hour ago, HereComesTom said:

Do these G-5 comics have the same writers?  Or is there a way to tell at this point?

Sorta? Nothing regarding vets like Cook, Price, Whitley or Anderson. Breckel is still colorist, Pencils is supposed to be back, Amy Mebberson is back after so long, and the writer wrote for S10, but one of the better comics, as it was one of the stand-alone one shots(the one with Celestia and Luna) that didn’t tie to the awful S10 main arc

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-03-21 at 2:01 AM, Ocean Wavedream said:

If the horn is detached from discord, does that mean he's dead? If so, what caused it? Was it the disappearances of all magic? I'm pretty sure G4 said that discord is directly connected with chaos magic and when he was a bit too normal, he started to fade away, but if that is true, than what is his horn doing here?

Actually, I don't think it was the disappearance of magic that would cause Discord to die. Because I remember in the season 6 finale of MLP FiM, Discord was in an environment where his sort of magic should've been negated. Chrysalis' throne had magic-absorbing properties, so he should've disappeared then if lack of magic was able to kill him. Another similar case happened in the season 9 finale where his magic was stolen using Grogar's bell. If anything, I think it's more likely in this scenario that he died of old age or something in this case

Then again, this counter arguement is based in the assumption that Discord is purely made of magic, so I'm no so sure if it holds much

Edited by Reality Check
  • Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Actually, I don't think it was the disappearance of magic that would cause Discord to die. Because I remember in the season 6 finale of MLP FiM, Discord was in an environment where his sort of magic should've been negated. Chrysalis' throne had magic-absorbing properties, so he should've disappeared then if lack of magic was able to kill him. Another similar case happened in the season 9 finale where his magic was stolen using Grogar's bell.

He didn't start vanishing, until he made too many changes to himself and his dimension.

You're right. One has to do much more than negate it.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...