Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's G5 design revealed in MLP #5:

Denim&Venöm

Cover art's wicked cool, like how they made him look older and more menacing. When I bemoaned Discord's return like a lot of people, I was feeling 50/50 split about whether they were going to keep portraying him as a likable supporting character or make him a villain. I was going to give the comic a chance either way, but seeing more evidence of them going for the latter makes me more willing to do so. 

• Brohoof 2

I really like the look! Now it just depends on what they actually DO with it! :o

• Brohoof 4

I like his look, but this is where I think G5 really fails. It should be it's own independent show. I like Discord a lot as a concept, I just hope they don't ruin his concept here. 

• Brohoof 2

Oooh. Discord looking older and more Rip Van Winkle-ish is a direction I didn't see coming!

15 minutes ago, -Solstice- said:

I like his look, but this is where I think G5 really fails. It should be it's own independent show. I like Discord a lot as a concept, I just hope they don't ruin his concept here. 

At this point, Discord being in the actual show is up in the air. This is IDW Comics' doing.

• Brohoof 4

Looks like time has been rather kind to Discord in some ways but crueler in others. I suspect not having Fluttershy around in his life may have made him lose what moral compass he had and has become a villain once again. Or, perhaps something else has made him go back to his old ways.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Looks like time has been rather kind to Discord in some ways but crueler in others. I suspect not having Fluttershy around in his life may have made him lose what moral compass he had and has become a villain once again. Or, perhaps something else has made him go back to his old ways.

Those are all some possibilities, especially the theory of FS not being around anymore potentially making him change ways (if that's the direction they go with).

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Those are all some possibilities, especially the theory of FS not being around anymore potentially making him change ways (if that's the direction they go with).

We won't know for certain until the issue is released and whether they were allowed to even bring such a thing up.

• Brohoof 4

14 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Oooh. Discord looking older and more Rip Van Winkle-ish is a direction I didn't see coming!

At this point, Discord being in the actual show is up in the air. This is IDW Comics' doing.

I don't know whether to be excited for it or disappointed. I hope that if he does show up, that it's something really great. I like how he looks though! 

• Brohoof 4

9 minutes ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

Form the cover, his head looks symmetrical like the Shadowy Alicorn, though it seems that he is missing his blue horn-thing.

Thus why the cover from Issue #2 that had many wondering if he was dead showed Sunny picking up his blue horn. 

AVvXsEii_wfTroVd2K9QlB0csBB66JFtSuc1DBPn

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It does suggest his antagonistic role, but that doesn't necessarily mean a "change" of character.

After all, the charm of Discord is in being an all-powerful trickster. I think he is too cleaver to be just a villain. His nature is better suited to test and perhaps even teach something to the main characters, by creating a given adversity meant for the betterment or doom of those who are being put to trial.
Isn't this the nature of Q in the star-trek series, after whom Faust was inspired to create Discord, especially considering the voice actor that was chosen for the role?

Also, it is strange that they would choose a background of green smoke and cobwebs. That's not something I can easily associate with his character.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, They call me Loyalty said:

It does suggest his antagonistic role, but that doesn't neccesarily mean a "change" of character.

After all, the charm of Discord is in being an all-powerful trickster. I think he is too cleaver to be just a villain. His nature is better suited to test and perhaps even teach something to the main characters, by creating a given adversity meant for the betterment or doom of those who are being put to trial.
Isn't this the nature of Q in the star-trek series, after whom Faust was inspired to create Discord, especially considering the voice actor that was chosen for the role?

Also, it is strange that they would choose a background of green smoke and cobwebs. That's not something I can easily associate with his character.

You're right, I can definitely see this as a thing. Especially with all the inspiration and lessons he'd gotten from Fluttershy. The green smoke / cobwebs... implicative of changeling energy? Well, perhaps it simply just an artistic liberty of a comic rather than a premonition of what's to come in G5:ooh:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Thus why the cover from Issue #2 that had many wondering if he was dead showed Sunny picking up his blue horn. 

AVvXsEii_wfTroVd2K9QlB0csBB66JFtSuc1DBPn

The fact they discover his horn and are surrounded by a destroyed Canterlot makes me question if possibly some big battle happened. Just seems weird that if he's still alive, they'd find his horn in the ruins of Canterlot. 

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Codelyy said:

The fact they discover his horn and are surrounded by a destroyed Canterlot makes me question if possibly some big battle happened. Just seems weird that if he's still alive, they'd find his horn in the ruins of Canterlot. 

Whoa, that cover gave me chills. And the plot thickens

• Brohoof 1