Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general When were you at your best?

Dreambiscuit

At what point in your life do you consider yourself at your best? Apply whatever criteria you wish to define the best point of your life, whether it be the height of your abilities, peak of health, zenith of inspiration, anything! Hayao Miyazaki once said we get about ten great years where we’re at our absolute best, so I would like to know, what year (or years) were you at your best? And how old were you? Or, if you’re at the top of your game now, tell us about it!

• Brohoof 3

I was at my best when I was in my early twenties and believed I had the entire world at my disposal, but now that I'm entering my forties, I'm a shell of what I once was and have since become way more jaded and cynical.

20 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

At what point in your life do you consider yourself at your best? Apply whatever criteria you wish to define the best point of your life, whether it be the height of your abilities, peak of health, zenith of inspiration, anything! Hayao Miyazaki once said we get about ten great years where we’re at our absolute best, so I would like to know, what year (or years) were you at your best? And how old were you? Or, if you’re at the top of your game now, tell us about it!

I think I’ve had my best and I’m experiencing it again, Dreamy. :rarity:

Overall, I’d say I was at my zenith when I was around 23. At that point I was in a good place in my life, my mind was sharp and I enjoyed my best creativity. Honorable mention goes to when I was 13; I was very focused and at the top of my skills and vitality. There were some bad years between 13 and 23, so my potentially best decade was broken up into little glimpses of greatness amid a lot of very dark mental and emotional sewage. 

• Brohoof 1

I don’t recall having one best moment. My ‘best’ moments would come whenever my skills are being used efficiently and be recognized accordingly. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Arguably I was at my best in 2019 or 2021 just based off how happy and ambitious I was. I was surrounded by people I loved talking to in both years, I was able to do the things I really wanted to do. I mean, I actually had things I wanted to do. I felt like I really had a pretty decent idea of what I wanted for the future, not only that but I was excited for it, ready for it. I also made some really bad choices in those years which I didn't realize at the time, I guess that's something which applies to almost every year. But oh what I would do to have retry of fall 2021 knowing what I do now :(.

Also I feel like it's hard to say that I've truly hit my peak. Just because I'm not even half way through my 20s, so much time left still, so many opportunities still out there. So I doubt 2019 and 2021 were really my peak. They were just the best years of my life so far.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

My senior year in high school. Top of my class, lead trombonist, fun things with friends (in and outside of band), the feeling of promise of a successful college and career, and met my first girlfriend that I feel I could call that.

Since that was the past, it hasn’t gotten better than that. Mostly.. it was the last time I felt I was where I needed to be, overall.

Edited by DubWolf
  • Brohoof 1

ehh, I was very happy in 2002 when I got my communist sounding GENERAL CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION, because I did better than most of the folk at my school.

After that, my next moment I felt at my best was when I completed my PhD, because I spent most of the time swearing I would never complete it and that I would let everypony down

Most recently, my best was when I stopped feeling all sad and depressed like a lost foal. Still riding that high, thankfully :3 Ponies helped quite a bit with that, including some special ponies on this here forum!

• Brohoof 1

Probably when I was around 7-9 years old. After I became a teenager, I got addicted to video games and cared about nothing else. Then I developed mental health disorders once I went to college and became an adult. I was likely at my best when I was a child, because I was terrible during my teenage years and the several years that I've been an adult so far. Also, I say I was "at my best" during childhood, but even at my best I wasn't good. It's just that compared to my demonic teenage years and depressive adults years, my childhood years were much more decent.

Right now actually. I finally have a sense of direction and my own ambitions. Because of that, I feel at peace.

I'm hoping that my abilities will continue to grow. I'd like to keep coming back here and have the ability to say "That last post is no longer me at my best."

18 minutes ago, Cash In said:

Right now actually. I finally have a sense of direction and my own ambitions. Because of that, I feel at peace.

I'm hoping that my abilities will continue to grow. I'd like to keep coming back here and have the ability to say "That last post is no longer me at my best."

If one doesn't have ambition they have nothing. :)

Great thinking btw!

keep it up

• 1 month later...

Life is complicated. I could look at various aspects of myself and point toward certain times of my life (like I think I was the most sociable in early high school, I think I was at my best with my passion for playing music back in late 2015 and 2016, etc.) but I think I don't need to look at things through such a complicated lens. Instead, I'll posit that I'm at my best right now. Over the past few years, some reasons for trauma have been worked out and my mental health has soared. I have learned to see life through an entirely new lens, whereas before I was stuck in a rut, never looking toward the future, never thinking practically about my life because I could not handle any of it. I was in a state called "functional freeze". Now that I'm working my way out of that, I can't imagine any past me - at least not over the past two decades - being at a higher point.