Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I wouldn't want to throw a male main character into the mix because he would just feel so token. Like he was just there for the sake of diversity. I know spike is male, but he's also a dragon, so it doesn't feel like he's just the token boy. I like shows where girls and boys are friends without ever even thinking of shipping, but if they were going to do it with this show, they would have had to have done it in the beginning and made two or three of the main six stallions. For me the mix has to be either all boys, all girls or an equal or close to equal mix. But having a token boy/girl never feels right.

Sometimes spike has a role bigger than the other main 5.  Crystal empire.  The easy way to get around putting in a token male is to add more than just a male.

but than you'd have to take people out.  which they arguable could do with out adding.

Arguable.  there's certain kim possible fan on here who will take that as "GRR I HAte the show"

and i wanna be clear I do not.

no_force_in_the_universe_can_stop_us_by_

Hmm... maybe we should just acknowledge that Spike is part of the group of 6, making it 7. No he's not a pony but he's a male, and even though he's not of the elements he still represents something special to the group. He's the one who sees it all from a different perspective and in a way that gives the fame 6 help in seeing things differently too.

• Brohoof 2

• 8 months later...

Is there is technically a way it could be done.

The new pony could be a sort of honorary element bearer. A pony (or anything else) that while they may not yet be close friends with the mane6 does possess the right qualities to use one of the elements.

The comics for example suggest anyone can use the EoH, even if they are not an element bearer, if they are strong enough and their heart is pure enough. Plus this would also be useful as the mane6 in both the show and comics have had there powers broken by the villain incapacitating one of the 6 to make the EoH (and now Rainbow Power IF that's a reoccuring thing ofc.) not work.

Plus, there already is a 7th technically. Namely Cadence, Element of Love, which frankly pisses all over the other 6 elements. even magic, in terms of how powerful it is. 

EoH = sealed away.

Love = Annihilation.

XD 

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter

That would destroy the 2 earth 2 pegasi 2 unicorn pony thing. I don't want that!

Not really, I like the idea of adding a new male unicorn to the group, that way we have 2 earth ponies, 2 pegasi, 2 unicorns, and 1 alicorn.

Yes. He needs to be a blue unicorn with a dirty blonde mane. His cutie mark should be of a rainbow. He should be voiced by Mathew Bledsoe (That's my "real" name by the way) and he should be the best male character the world has ever seen! He requires a lot of episodes with Rarity because he has a crush on her. 

RVu1yvL.jpg

I guess a purple and green dragon who is a lot like him works too.

vgEt9tX.png?1

Am I the only one who thought of Maybelle from the Nightmare Rarity arc of the comics upon seeing this thread?:P Seriously though, to answer the question of whether I think a new mane cast member is a good idea, I'm going to say no. Adding a new character or characters to the main cast of any show is a big change. Even if the character or characters end up being likeable and well written, the show will never be the same because of it. The Big Bang Theory is a good example of this. I like Amy and Bernadette, but the show has been quite different since they were introduced. IMHO it's neither different good or different bad, but not everyone likes big changes like that, and there'll inevitably be fans who will be turned off of newer episodes as a result, which could lead to at least a temporary decline in the show's popularity. That's the best case scenario.

Even one new character could really bring down the show if not handled correctly, especially if that character isn't written particularly well. They would also need to be able to fit in with the group. Good writing doesn't treat characters like individual cells, but like an interconnected web of relationships with one another. Even one new character can disrupt that web if a proper place isn't found for them. I think it's possible for a new character to be handled correctly. If one were to be introduced, I think a unicorn would be the most ideal for the sake of balancing out the races. I'm against the idea of said character being male though. Very much so.

There is more than one reason why a new mane cast member wouldn't be a good idea. The Elements of Harmony may be gone, but they have that fancy castle now, and adding a new seat with a corresponding element would require the entire infrastructure of that epic throne room to be reworked. Of course, since it's a magic castle, the castle could possibly react to a new member on its own. I kind of like the number 6 more than 7 in this case. It may be just a number, and even though I think 7 has a nice ring to it, I think it's overused and clichéd. This series is known for taking hackneyed literary devices and other story and character elements, and doing something at least slightly different. By opting to go with 6 instead of 7, it has kind of done that in terms of numbers from the start.

I will admit that Twilight being an Alicorn kind of throws off the perfect 2-2-2 species ratio, but I don't think that's enough justification for a new member. The show is constantly changing season by season, even without a new character, so I'm not saying a new character is the worst possible thing. It could potentially spice things up. I'm still leaning slightly more towards being against it than for it though. I like the group of friends as they are. Twilight's change took some getting used to. A whole new member of the group would be another thing entirely.

Edited by Tross

I feel like I'm the only one who would gladly welcome a new member to the mane 6, especially a male. So far, the writers have yet to really turn me off. Even when I thought Twilight going princess was too far, the following season and the movie rebounded my way of thinking. If done right, and I honestly believe they would, then I could see another member meshing quite well despite needing to catch up a little.

But then again, I could be wrong. The addition of a new member, established or not, male or not, could very well usher in the end of the brony fandom. I'd like to think we are more open minded then that, but after seeing so many people say NO to the idea, I just don't know.

All I can do is quietly suggest everyone to keep an open mind, but then let everyone do as they please regardless.

Edited by Samurai Equine

Well I would not mind it but some bronies may...

What element of harmony would this new member represent?

Trust? we shall never know till it comes. XD

I always thought it seemed like there should be a seventh element of harmony. And I always thought the seventh one should be love.

Umm but Cadence is alicorn of love.....

I'm going for element of trust myself....

I wouldn't mind if it's not a pegasus (or alicorn), because 3/6 of the mane 6 already have wings... -_-

Not really, I like the idea of adding a new male unicorn to the group, that way we have 2 earth ponies, 2 pegasi, 2 unicorns, and 1 alicorn.

He wrote his post in 2012, before Twilicorn.

I wouldn't mind if it's not a pegasus (or alicorn), because 3/6 of the mane 6 already have wings... -_-

He wrote his post in 2012, before Twilicorn.

Is it just me or does fucking everyone have a habit of bumping old threads lately

• Brohoof 2

Is it just me or does fucking everyone have a habit of bumping old threads lately

Yup. It shows how bored we are here with no new information to tide us over. We keep rehashing the same old questions, talking about pointless/useless topics, or just bringing back old threads. With the way the writing of this show is going I wouldn't be surprised if we get 1 or two more main character. I wont like it, but it will happen.

I can just see it now. A new mane character joins could be good or bad things however are more likely to be messy and all of a sudden it comes crashing down and the show ends on a bad note there is too much of a risk. I dont think so. Maybe introduce a new side character and increase the amount of time the character appears until later then introduce him or her as the mane 7 but its still a high stakes gamble with low chance of a win.

For me, Mane 6 is enough. If they suddenly introduce a new mane character, a bronypocalypse will happen, and we'll lose 90% of the current brony population due to the disapproval... :o

:P

Unless if I get transported into Equestria, I could join the Mane 6 and ask Celestia to create a new element of harmony.

In the unlikely event that they add a new 'mane' character, the best candidate would be Sunset Shimmer, if they ever get her back from the Human world.

Also, old thread is old.

Edited by Zoraxe

I'm not sure how i'd feel with another cast member. I think from a technical standpoint, it opens up new possibilities for the writers, but maybe too many characters can lead to smaller contributions to individual character development, you know? Just my thought. Too much characters mean too little spotlight for each, i think?

Edited by Terminus

They could add Derpy to the gang  :muffins:

I would not mind that and plus Derpy is awesome. The only bad thing would hearing the fandom getting butthurt and complain like they always do about every little thing  :derp:

I am groot

Well its not a bad thing necessarily depending on what topic it is you know