Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Gravity Falls

null123456

Gravity Falls. One of the greatest shows I have ever seen. I am genuinely not exaggerating.

I was mind-blown when I tried watching the show at the request of friends. The show has amazing characters, amazing humor, interesting and sometimes actually suspenseful dilemmas, just the right amount of slapstick is humor, and... my favorite trait of all... a heart. It has a heart. It doesn't focus on making everything comical and putting everyone in a crapsack world where everything sucks but you still laugh. It has some genuinely soft, kind moments that really show the characters in a positive light. Even Grunkle Stan, who could have EASILY been another Scoutmaster Lumpus. But no, they actually made him care about his family. The relationship between Dipper and Mabel is just so enjoyable because it isn't about a brother and sister feuding and pulling each other's hair; It's about them being siblings, who have each other's backs and care for each other for little in return. Wendy, the rebellious teenager, could have easily been an unlikeable jerk that causes the audience to curse at the television in sheer confusion on the idea that the main character loves her. But, lo and behold, she's actually a very likeable girl, with a caring, laid-back personality, who just wants to have some good fun with her friends. It's just so much fun and I love every second of it. I would give anything for more cartoons to have a cast like this.

Not to mention, it had the most satisfying defeat of any antagonist of all time.

"Man, revenge is underrated. That felt AWESOME!"

Why can't more cartoons have moments like this?

Oh and I think there was something about a mystery or something but I dunno

Edited by SomariFeyWright
  • Brohoof 2

I used to watch it but stopped. I don't really watch TV often, so that's probably why. I've been meaning to start watching it again as it is a really good show. Dipper remains as my favorite character while Mabel is simply adorable. It's a great show and it's one of, if not, the best show on Disney Channel currently. 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Gravity Falls is a cartoon on Disney Channel (Wait, come back! This is nothing like the other Disney Channel shows.). It tells the story of brother and sister, Dipper and Mabel Pines as they go to a town called "Gravity Falls" to visit their Great Uncle Stan for the summer. Along the way, they come across various weird and creepy encounters, often putting them in grave danger. The show is a lot darker than any other disney channel show for various reasons. For example, the show isn't afraid at all to use words like "Die" and "Kill", unlike a lot of other shows these days. Hell, sometimes characters are outright killed. (Although not violently, remember that this is still a Disney show) So yeah, let me give the basic rundown.

Mabel Pines

Mabel-Pines-gravity-falls-mabel-pines-31

Mabel is the slightly older (By five minutes) twin sister of Dipper Pines. She has a very cheery, outgoing personality and is optimistic about nearly every situation no matter how bad it may seem. Has a pet pig named Waddles, who she won at a fair. She is always seen wearing a different sweater with some kind of symbol on it. Also has a tendency to tell things to die.

Dipper Pines

Dipper.png

Dipper is Mabel's younger (by five minutes) brother. He is smarter than Mabel, and is usually the "thinker" when getting out of tough situations. He is skilled at capturing monsters and solving puzzles. He has a birthmark on his forehead shaped like the Big Dipper constellation, hence the nickname, Dipper.

Stan Pines

tumblr_inline_mt8beuohzE1roeqj4.png

Referred to as "Grunkle Stan" (Short for "Great Uncle Stan") by Dipper and Mabel, Stan is (obviously) the great uncle of Dipper and Mabel and the owner of the Mystery Shack, a tourist trap that houses many fake and unconvincing "oddities". Despite this, the shack is widely popular with tourists and residents alike, and he enjoys this due to his love of money.

Common saying: "BEHOLD! ___________!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctX771EQeA

• Brohoof 1

Oh my god I absolutely LOVE this show! Not only is it cute and funny with great characters, but there are codes and messages and mysteries for the viewers to solve. I haven't gotten much into it because finding hints and figuring things out requires more time than I have available, but the interactive aspect is what draws in a lot of curious viewers.

For example (and iif I remember correctly), there is a single frame of this image near the end of the intro (I forget which season)

artworks-000031179990-xoanl1-original.pn

So far I only understand some of the icons and the little jumble of letters on the side, but it's definitely something to check out. Even if you don't watch to crack the code, make conspiracy theories or predictions, the show on it's own has enough oomph to keep me entertained.

I looooovvveee this show! <3 The characters, humor, and the creepy and mysterious feel to Gravity Falls make it an amazing show. I also got a IRL that looks exactly like Dipper's hat in the show for Christmas! 

(Also, just an FYI.. I already made a thread but it got buried :P)

Haha. Its good to see Disney can still do more than create child pop-stars. Hell, they even poke fun of that in an episode of boy bands being clones. Very subtle, good job guys. And Kristen Schaal is a gem and I love every minute Mabel is on screen. And they even have mysteries for the audience to solve. Not a lot of shows do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gravity Falls is not something I watch regularly but it is still a great show. Tons of funny moments and serious moments and I like the art style. My favorite characters are Seus and Mable. Seriously Mable reminds me of Pinkie Pie.

It's one of the best shows that is currently airing in our generation! The reason? It has a soul! Every other show currently, besides MLP, are set in a world where the characters hardly give two shits what happens to one another and will do anything for a laugh. Gravity Falls has awesome characters with great personalities, interesting and exciting adventures, an epic story setting, and best of all...they remember everything!! In almost every modern show, save MLP and maybe Adventure Time, the characters forget every lesson they learn, if they learn anything that is, and forget every minor character they meet. However, in Gravity Falls, they remember everything from minor characters, to small adventures and life lessons. What's more? The story matters! Almost no modern show has characters that give a crap about the main issues or problems, and when they do, they make it all a joke! Adventure Time used to not do that, but sadly, it does now. All in all, it's a great show! Right up there with MLP.

• 5 months later...

OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Ahem. I'm sorry, I'm just a big fan of this show. It's good if you like mysteries and cool mythological stuff. I finally made it to season 2! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! Somebody needs to make a fan club here!

Edited by Star Ruby

It's one of my favorite shows, I love Gravity Falls! It's probably  it is the only good show (Besides Wonder over Yonder) that is on Disney still. Sure, the crappy shows was one thing. But then they go and change their logo? Ruind.Childhood.

What are your favorite episodes?

Mines are The Inconveniencing, Carpet Diem and The Time Traveler's Pig.

Edited by Blobulle

• 7 months later...

I feel obligated to post this topic, as it seems we don't have one yet... As I have probably said many times before, Gravity Falls is the only TV show I enjoy more than MLP, which is saying something. There's just so many things AMAZING about it, and it perfectly blends sci-fi, mystery, humor, action, heartwarming moments,  and character development into one kickass show. I'd say the only major downsides are that it has a super quirky sense of humor, (think Adventure Time without the LSD)  which not everyone is into, and overall it's quite short. (31st episode comes out tomorrow, and the 40th will likely be the final episode.) Also, it seriously pushes it's Y-7 rating. Another interesting thing is that, unlike most kids shows, it does have an episodic story. (Though mid-S1 can mostly be watched out of order.)

From talking to people, most I talk to have heard of this show but mostly disregard it, and if you are one of them, holy crap you've gotta watch it. There's actually a marathon tomorrow, (for some reason excluding ep3) and if you can you can easily record them. (Finding it online is little difficult, but not impossible.)

Anyway, that's my fangirl vent for today. I guess that was mostly directed at people who don't watch it, but I also want to find other fans. So how many are there here? And how DAMN excited are you for tomorrow? 'Cause the next episode's gonna be huge.

• Brohoof 1