Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Guild Wars 2 Thread

ProjectRKA

I frankly can't wait for this to be released! It's one on a list of many games for me to buy in the next years to come, including Diablo 3! I loved playing through the first one, I completed Prophecies and Eye of the North, and I must say that their storylines are excellently fantastic (see: super duper). I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2, and from what I've seen so far of the classes I will be playing a Charr Ranger!

• 7 months later...

I looked around and could not find a Guild Wars 2 dedicated thread, so today I have decided to take it upon myself to create such a thread. Here you can post all of your questions, opinions, concerns, characters, art, and pretty much anything (safe for work) that is Guild Wars 2 related.

I will start things off, what race and profession do you have in mind for your first character? I am going to be Sylvari Elementalist.

Edited by Bronynonymous
  • Brohoof 1

I've seen a lot of people get excited for Guild Wars 2. My question is: What *new* concepts are they bringing to the table and why should I play it over WoW?

Thanks.

I've played a few beta weekends and I'm definitely am going to be a Staff Mesmer. I just love the ability to constantly stack debuffs on enemies and buffs onto allies.

As for my race, I'm thinking of choosing Charr. No particular reason other than they look really awesome and I love the personal story of the Ash Legion.

Edited by Veiled Enigma

I entered the beta weekends unsure of what class I'd play once the game was released. The beta weekend events are now over, and I am even more confused than when I started! :P

I guess I'll start out with a flamethrower-wielding charr engineer! Sure they are a bit lacking damage wise, but man can you really maneuver around with the rifle if you know what you're doing. I also like the mix of weapon kits for different situations and the ability to go full blown support at pretty much any time.

As for why the charr, I've always wanted to play as one ever since guild wars prophecies. The norn have gained my attention as well though, especially with their city and awesome dance animation...

There are so many new innovations that are being implemented in Guild Wars 2, first is the fact that no matter what race you choose you can choose any class. Also the way abilities work is much different, they have a range and if someone is in front of your target you hit that person instead. You can dodge and roll out of the reach of abilities which makes combat more skill oriented instead of basing your damage on luck (getting crits) and weapons. Another thing that caught my eye is the dynamic events that happen all around the map, there was one instance where a randomly spawned giant entered a city and killed a whole bunch of npc's because not enough actual players were there to stop it. Some dynamic events have epic bosses at the end, like a ice mage who summons a giant ice dragon if you don't kill him fast enough. It is important to stress that these dynamic events are not quests, they just happen, some mobs randomly spawn and it is up to the players to kill or be killed. Which leads me to the dying system. When your health reaches zero you are put into a downed state much like borderlands, and if you kill a mob in downed state you revive. Also a great thing about the game is the fact that it is very much so player oriented, anyone can attack anything even if a player is already attacking it. The exp from the kill is given to both the players so there is no kill stealing. The pvp is server vs server which makes for interesting battles, if a server wins a pvp that server gets a certain bonus for a short period. There are so many different things that make GW2 unique I challenge you to watch some youtube videos on it one day.

I've seen a lot of people get excited for Guild Wars 2. My question is: What *new* concepts are they bringing to the table and why should I play it over WoW?

Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

There are so many new innovations that are being implemented in Guild Wars 2, first is the fact that no matter what race you choose you can choose any class. Also the way abilities work is much different, they have a range and if someone is in front of your target you hit that person instead. You can dodge and roll out of the reach of abilities which makes combat more skill oriented instead of basing your damage on luck (getting crits) and weapons. Another thing that caught my eye is the dynamic events that happen all around the map, there was one instance where a randomly spawned giant entered a city and killed a whole bunch of npc's because not enough actual players were there to stop it. Some dynamic events have epic bosses at the end, like a ice mage who summons a giant ice dragon if you don't kill him fast enough. It is important to stress that these dynamic events are not quests, they just happen, some mobs randomly spawn and it is up to the players to kill or be killed. Which leads me to the dying system. When your health reaches zero you are put into a downed state much like borderlands, and if you kill a mob in downed state you revive. Also a great thing about the game is the fact that it is very much so player oriented, anyone can attack anything even if a player is already attacking it. The exp from the kill is given to both the players so there is no kill stealing. The pvp is server vs server which makes for interesting battles, if a server wins a pvp that server gets a certain bonus for a short period. There are so many different things that make GW2 unique I challenge you to watch some youtube videos on it one day.

So basically they haven't implemented anything new (except maybe the dying thing?). Except maybe that dynamic event system, but still.

I saw some videos on the combat and it looked really half assed and poorly put together.

From my experience in the past with SvS PvP, it usually isn't that great.

I'll keep my eyes out for more videos once it releases, but I probably won't be getting it when it releases.

So basically they haven't implemented anything new (except maybe the dying thing?). Except maybe that dynamic event system, but still.

I saw some videos on the combat and it looked really half assed and poorly put together.

I'll keep my eyes out for more videos once it releases, but I probably won't be getting it when it releases.

It is not half assed at all, in fact the combat system is what they spent the most time on developing, but I suppose you can have your own opinions. Another very important thing to remember is that it is not pay to play like wow, actually wow is buy to play and pay to play if you count the game and all of its add ons. Guild Wars is Buy 2 Play no monthly fees and the game just looks amazingly beautiful, its environment is surreal.
  • Brohoof 1

It is not half assed at all, in fact the combat system is what they spent the most time on developing, but I suppose you can have your own opinions. Another very important thing to remember is that it is not pay to play like wow, actually wow is buy to play and pay to play if you count the game and all of its add ons. Guild Wars is Buy 2 Play no monthly fees and the game just looks amazingly beautiful, its environment is surreal.

If enough people from this site play (in the same guild etc.) I'll probably play just for that. Any game is fun when you have a lot of people you know playing it.

Maybe start up a poll to see who will be buying it at release.

• Brohoof 2

I actually like the new combat system a lot more. It feels more involved than me standing absolutely still and spamming shadow bolt and fear, but I guess that's just me. If you're interested in some more details about how the game works, may I point you to the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#PvE

It is surprisingly detailed and it sure helped me when I was trying to figure out how things worked.

• Brohoof 1

I actually like the new combat system a lot more. It feels more involved than me standing absolutely still and spamming shadow bolt and fear, but I guess that's just me. If you're interested in some more details about how the game works, may I point you to the wiki: http://wiki.guildwar...d_Questions#PvE

It is surprisingly detailed and it sure helped me when I was trying to figure out how things worked.

The thing is that I play mostly FPS games and hardcore RPGs like Darkfall etc. Compared to those games, the combat in GW looks tacked on at last minute. I'll have to watch some more pve videos. Edited by Bohtty

The thing is that I play mostly FPS games and hardcore RPGs like Darkfall etc. Compared to those games, the combat in GW looks tacked on at last minute. I'll have to watch some more pve videos.

Gee... you must have some pretty high standards when it comes to combat, in my opinion Guild Wars 2 combat makes WOW look like a children's game. Like Celtore said, who wants to be standing around spamming the same move over and over?

Gee... you must have some pretty high standards when it comes to combat, in my opinion Guild Wars 2 combat makes WOW look like a children's game. Like Celtore said, who wants to be standing around spamming the same move over and over?

Yah, WoW is shit. I just watched 2 pve videos and it still looks like your standing around spamming attack. It also doesn't look like the dodging is all that effective on non boss monsters. Non boss monsters also don't seem to pose any real incentive to dodge. The bos behaviors look meh. Some of the skills are still auto target so whats the point?

To be honest, they could have done better. It's kinda disappointing that they didn't.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time making pve and combat engaging! I mean it still looks like you are fighting a programmed 3D model, not something that wants to kill you.

Monster Hunter is the only game to get PVE right : excluding FPS games of course.

If you guys start an mlpforum/brony guild maybe I'll give it a try.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 1

Yah, WoW is shit. I just watched 2 pve videos and it still looks like your standing around spamming attack. It also doesn't look like the dodging is all that effective on non boss monsters. Non boss monsters also don't seem to pose any real incentive to dodge. The bos behaviors look meh. Some of the skills are still auto target so whats the point?

To be honest, they could have done better. It's kinda disappointing that they didn't.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time making pve and combat engaging! I mean it still looks like you are fighting a programmed 3D model, not something that wants to kill you.

Monster Hunter is the only game to get PVE right : excluding FPS games of course.

With wow you do not even have the option to cast while moving, if you are charging up a ability and you move the ability is canceled, this is not the same with gw2 you can move and cast as much as your heart desires.

I too would be up for a brony guild. Sounds like it could be fun. But yeah, I played WoW for a couple years on my warlock and combat was very boring. Just damage over times, fear, shadowbolt, repeat.

The dodging mechanic really comes into play in the later levels, especially when you're taking on multiple mobs at once or things that are much stronger than you. I can say that from experience. One boss at level 20 took about 30 of us to take down, and his attack pretty much killed us instantly. Dodging and support was absolutely critical in that fight.

Sadly you are right about the programmed 3d model analogy. I really don't think anyone has really solved that problem besides, as you mentioned, the monster hunter series.

• Brohoof 3

Dark souls and Demon souls made monsters that seemed like they actually wanted to kill you, and they do kill you, A LOT!

Edited by Bronynonymous
  • Brohoof 1

I too would be up for a brony guild. Sounds like it could be fun.

Who wants to organize this? lol

if you guys get 4 - 9 players I will buy the preorder and join you guys.

We would need a bad ass name though.lol

I don't know... I always have a problem creating guilds on MMO's it seems I can never figure out the guild systems, not on wow, not on SWTOR, not on anything.

Despite some of the shortcomings that people have said, Guild Wars 2 is still going to be free to play. It still far outclasses everything out on the market right now. Dynamic Events, Personal stories, World Versus World. ArenaNet runs good servers so they won't pull a Blizzard like when Diablo III was released. I've been following the game since it was announced.

If you guys want a guild, I found a casual one. You can join multiple guilds anyways.

http://royalnightguards.enjin.com/

Despite some of the shortcomings that people have said, Guild Wars 2 is still going to be free to play. It still far outclasses everything out on the market right now. Dynamic Events, Personal stories, World Versus World. ArenaNet runs good servers so they won't pull a Blizzard like when Diablo III was released. I've been following the game since it was announced.

If you guys want a guild, I found a casual one. You can join multiple guilds anyways.

http://royalnightguards.enjin.com/

Meh if we were to start a guild I would rather have a mlpforums exclusive guild. That is not to say that we would not let anypony else in, but it would start off ans mlpforum member only as a foundation. And then we would let others in.

We can still make a guild with minimal members, it would be more like an MLPForums on the actual game. We can still group together and plan events. You don't need a huge guild to have a ton of fun anyways. Plus you can join multiple guilds so I see no reason why we couldn't start one up.

• Brohoof 2

Plus you can join multiple guilds

Welp, there goes all the interest I had in GW2 pvp lol

Lets start with a guild name and go from there lol.

Welp, there goes all the interest I had in GW2 pvp lol

Lets start with a guild name and go from there lol.

One character cannot join multiple guilds, one account can join multiple guilds. At least that is my understanding.