Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What personal traits are needed to become a brony?

Broccoli

You really don't need to have certain traits to become a brony. Just have an open mind to the humor and love the show for what it is. It's a darn shame that stuff like Lady Gaga and all those action movies are blinding people from this awesome, awesome show.

I agree that certain traits aren't required to become a brony, although there are alot of commonalities. An open mind and the ability to judge things based upon more than just first appearance seems to help people become bronys though :P

Edited by 83awsm

Personally, I think that yes, technically anyone can become a brony. But certain types of people are more likely. Like being a nerd. It just seems like something nerdy people like. (Yes, I'm a nerd.) Also, internet savvy, obviously. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't even know they exist. And well, nerds are typically more open-minded to bizarre interests, I suppose. So it takes quite a bit of open-mindedness especially if you're a male as everyone else has said. Since you'd have willingness to watch it in the first place.

Also, being more emotionally sensitive and in touch with your emotions in the first place helps with being open-minded. So I guess there's that. I don't particularly think having had a bad life is really much of a prerequisite, but the logic does make sense. Ponies are just so happy that they could help an upset person smile.

It also takes a certain type of sincerity to be a brony. Being in touch with your inner child as well, and being able to feel a feeling of magic and wonder. I think this is most important. And this is why some people don't like the ponies. Some people would watch them, and think: "This is stupid and childish." and not be able to drink in the humour and positivity of the values of the show because they just can't get past that. I'm not saying all people who don't like ponies are like this though, I'm just saying some of them.

To be a TRUE brony you must be able to recite any quote from any episode at any given moment, own at least one of every MLP: FIM merchandise, and have written at least ten fanfics. XP

Honestly I'd say if you watch the show, enjoy it, and can actually tell me which pony is which when I ask I'd say you're a brony in my books.

Personality wise I wouldn't really say you have to be down in the dumps to enjoy MLP, though it really can help brighten your mood on a bad day. Like everypony else said I think you just have to have an open mind and a be one with your emotions, otherwise you won't even really get what the show is all about. Having a lighter sense of humor helps too, sometimes dirty jokes being thrown at you 24/7 starts to get a little stale, it's nice to have something that you can watch with the whole family.

Seems like many of us have come to the conclusion that it takes an open mind to accept the show. There is a very important lesson we all learned in Brindle Gossip: Never judge a book by its cover. Open minded folks won't suppose that MLP is a girl's cartoon, and walk away without actually watching. Instead, they would give it a shot. :)

I don't know whether anyone has thought of this, but maybe someone doesn't want to watch MLP because of the way the ponies are drawn, regardless the storyline. For instance, I never watch anime or read manga, simply because I do not like how most of the characters are drawn: big eyes, skinny, weird hair, etc. I'm not sure but this could be a possibility.

Like the others said, to be a brony, you simply have to like the show; BUT, to like the show, you need to have an open mind to things, have a lighter sense of humor, if male you need to be secure about your masculinity, and things of that sort. Usually, following THOSE traits is kindness, generosity, and the traits that many of the show characters have.

To be honest I think that's going a little overboard. You're making the word "brony" like a religious term.

A "brony" is a name given to male fans of the My Little Pony Franchise.

It isn't someone who is "open minded" and "follows the way of love and toleration". We say we're something, and haters will say we're something.

It's not seeming like a religious term in Kodiak's post, it's more so explaining what the rest of us bronies have been trying to say. The beginning of that post even began with "the basic idea of being "brony" is simply watching the show", and while I do agree with that in a way, I think that Kodiak made a good point.