Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your personal quirks?

Pippinjack

(edited)

We all have these little ticks. You know, the small strange things that don't make sense but we do them anyway.

For example, I tend to overuse 3 consecutive dots...

...like, it's adding a moment of thought, a break, so to speak... but... although it makes things more dramatic, I sometimes use it way too often...

...so what's your random quirk? Counting stones in the sidewalk? Brushing your hair before going to bed (I actually did that when my hair was longer...)?

Edited by Pippinjack
  • Brohoof 2

Hi there, @Pippinjack! Since your thread has a lot of discussion potential, it is better suited in General Discussion. Therefore, I moved it over for ya. :) 

• Brohoof 4

11 minutes ago, Pippinjack said:

Counting stones in the sidewalk?

You know it's funny you say that, because that reminds me of something I do that I wasn't thinking of. Whenever I go up or down stairs I count them. I've memorized the number of steps in every staircase I've walked at least 5-10 times in the last year or so, and even some that have been longer than that.

After taking programming classes in college, I've started counting stairs in hexadecimal. :P

• Brohoof 2

In my head I have analytical and explanatory commentary. Sometimes its ocd tier sometimes it doesn't exist and sometimes it goes into a self-awareness loop of analyzing my analyzing. Sometimes I even explain mundane things, its a way to keep busy I suppose when my brain isn't doing anything else. Doesn't always happen.

• Brohoof 1

Cracking my neck, or my fingers. Mostly my neck, though, since it cracks more and is more satisfying.

15 hours ago, Lady Kiriness said:

Hi there, @Pippinjack! Since your thread has a lot of discussion potential, it is better suited in General Discussion. Therefore, I moved it over for ya. :) 

Ah, okay! My newb-ism is shining through xD

And oh god, the finger cracking... (there goes the dots again). A friend of mine does it so often that it kind of made me do it, too.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Pippinjack said:

Anyone who has talked to me at length online knows I adore ellipses ... a lot. 

I have quite a few others. An 'in person' thing is that I tend to say, "Yep yep" as my affirmative. I occasionally do that online too since I put forth an effort to write on here like I speak. 

A weird quirk I have is that I will always (without fail) wave my hands like a Jedi when approaching a automatic sliding door. This has became something I actually don't know I am doing at times so I have to force myself not to do it if I'm in a social situation that it could be embarrassing for the other person. XD

• Brohoof 4

16 hours ago, Pippinjack said:

Ellipses are quite fun to utilize in my fanfiction writing, I have found, in sound measure of course.  You have to know HOW to use them in order for it not to get annoying.

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

A weird quirk I have is that I will always (without fail) wave my hands like a Jedi when approaching a automatic sliding door. This has became something I actually don't know I am doing at times so I have to force myself not to do it if I'm in a social situation that it could be embarrassing for the other person. XD

I chuff at my cats.  It's a tick I picked up when I really started getting into big cats and learned it was a way they greet each other (and the same applies to smaller felines as well), so I started doing it around them, and they normally seem to respond.  They've definitely gotten used to it by now and usually at least look at me when I do it.  As for my dog, I don't chuff but I make these weird clicky-noises with my tongue in rapid succession when I'm either approaching him or getting ready to call him over.  Sometimes I make them even when I'm just walking around the house going about some random business.  That one's harder for me to explain, I think I just like how it sounds. ^_^

• Brohoof 3

This is going to sound really stupid. When shopping, I sometimes (lots of times) freestyle lyrics to whatever song is playing, centered around what's next on my list. Yeah, I end up singing about groceries. Sometimes people look at me oddly. Oh, and I tend to talk to inanimate objects like computes, cars, the washer and dryer, whatever.

This I actually think is more normal. I always talk to animals as if they understand me. (They do! I just know it!) Not just dogs and cats. If I see a squirrel, I always say hello!

^_^

• Brohoof 5

27 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

This is going to sound really stupid. When shopping, I sometimes (lots of times) freestyle lyrics to whatever song is playing, centered around what's next on my list. Yeah, I end up singing about groceries. Sometimes people look at me oddly. Oh, and I tend to talk to inanimate objects like computes, cars, the washer and dryer, whatever.

I don't talk to inanimate objects, but I always talk to myself if I can.  It's not just fun but also an effective stress reliever, especially if I can yell or vent about something to myself.  Helps ensure I'll more easily stay in a good mood when I'm around people.

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, Pippinjack said:

Counting stones in the sidewalk?

Yes, I try when I'm walking to skip one stone and step on the second. Always. I also try when I'm cycle on a street with white stripes to only got my foot down when I'm at a white stripe.

If nobody is around, I'm probably talking to myself about something. And sometimes if I'm really bored, or if I can't sleep at night, I literally imagine episodes of a TV show from start to finish. Like literally, I watch TV through my mind's eye.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I have a friend who does that on elevators. Whenever the door opens or closes, he waves his hand as if he's using the Force. It started as a joke but he kept doing it and other people are usually a bit weirded out when they see it.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
  • I think out loud when I think nobody is around. That can get embarrassing at times.
  • I pace all the time, especially when I'm particularly anxious about something.
  • Sometimes, I walk in rhythm for no particular reason. That came from being in the high school marching band for 5 years.
Edited by Barik the Luigineer
  • Brohoof 1

I snap my fingers whenever I try to remember something, 

I squeal uncontrollably whenever I see something even remotely cute...

I often use my hands to express my emotions

I don't like the concept of friends...I prefer acquaintances...because you can't disappoint an acquaintance. or even if you did it wouldn't matter.

I can tickle myself (So I "might" have a bit of schizophrenia)

Ever since I started taking drawing more seriously I've started to unconsciously see the world in shapes. 

• Brohoof 2

• I overanalyze things. A lot. Sometimes it bugs my friends to hear me muttering under my breath about things 17 other people are doing.
  • I also talk to myself excessively and act as two different people, each with their own ideas, thoughts, and feelings. I address the "other me" as-

They don't need to know that.

See what I mean? That was me, by the way.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Vulcan said:

I can tickle myself

Wow, really? That's interesting. I can't be tickled at all, but I was super ticklish when I was younger. I wonder why it went away.

• Brohoof 1

I'm very spacey, but not in an air-headed sort of way. My brain is pretty hyperactive; it's almost impossible for me to not be thinking about something so I daydream a lot. So every once in a while when I get lost in thought I'll stare at a wall or into the distance and people wonder what I'm doing xD

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't have quirks, I AM a quirk.

Just a few:

• I separate my hand washing sessions into sections--five seconds for lathering, ten for scrubbing my palms, and ten for the back of each hand.
  • I like the taste of blood (don't ask).
  • love dashes and semicolons (a bit too much).
  • I have perfected the art of staring down misbehaving electronics.
  • I have an "overactive conscience." I feel as if I am ceaselessly being judged by a panel of invisible Puritans. :angry:
  • I love a TV show featuring colorful, talking ponies. Oh, wait...

On 7/13/2017 at 11:27 AM, OracleOfTwilight said:

I also talk to myself excessively and act as two different people

juI do that, too. I can get into rather heated arguments with myself.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:24 AM, Jeric said:

A weird quirk I have is that I will always (without fail) wave my hands like a Jedi when approaching a automatic sliding door.

I frequently feel the urge to do that. I only give in when I'm alone in an elevator. ^_^

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

On 7/13/2017 at 11:45 AM, Prospekt said:

And sometimes if I'm really bored, or if I can't sleep at night, I literally imagine episodes of a TV show from start to finish. Like literally, I watch TV through my mind's eye.

That sounds awesome, actually.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:24 AM, Jeric said:

I have quite a few others. An 'in person' thing is that I tend to say, "Yep yep" as my affirmative.

I wonder if everyone has a go-to affirmative? Mine is usually a "mmk" or a "yup."

I suppose my quirk is that I'll talk to objects when I'm really trying to get things to go my way with something. If a pen I'm writing with begins to run out of ink, for instance, I might mutter, "aww come on, you can make it!"

• Brohoof 1

On 7/13/2017 at 10:48 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

Oh, and I tend to talk to inanimate objects like computes, cars, the washer and dryer, whatever.

Yeah, same here! I talk to everything. I don't usually think of it as weird...unless my car or dishwasher ever talks back, then I'll know something's wrong!! :confused:

Aside from that, I often trace things with my eyes, meaning I draw an imaginary outline around objects in front of me by following the edges with my peepers. I also count things like beans on my plate, pictures on tablecloths or wallpaper, just about anything really. It doesn't make any sense, but that's me. :rarity: 

• Brohoof 2

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:24 AM, Jeric said:

I've recently started doing this too.

Only realised that I was making it into something of a habit just now when I read your comment.

Just a little flick of two fingers just as it begins to open if I'm in public, and a full 'part, thou fragile portal' splaying-arm motion if no-one else is around. ^_^

• Brohoof 1